Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149525 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128034 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we are getting back to origins, that is where you are stuck with an ' We don't know"
as your foundation ,which you build on with science fiction
We're not talking about origins. Why are you trying to change the subject? Because your knowledge of evolution is so embarrassingly poor?
curious wrote:
Mutation plus natural selection does not explain the origins of seeds nor how their genes were able to attain the abilities that you say they have.
Yes, it does. Quite easily.
curious wrote:
Your analogy of using a ball ,dead matter , to try to validate your invalid point, clearly show signs of desperation.
I forgot that you are incapable of understanding analogies. I apologize for the headache it must have given you.
curious wrote:
Let us not forget that if you plant a ball in the ground , other than having dug a hole and covered the ball up , nothing much happens....I'm wrong , the material that the ball is made from will eventualyy decompose. Most assuredly , when a ball sees somebody coming with a baseball bat, it is not instructed by it's GENES to fly away before it gets L
Balls are not living organisms that reproduce with modification. Trees are.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128035 Apr 9, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarcasm is not the solution, it is your only defense.
The Bible is not the solution, it is just your comfort.
Evolution is not the solution, it is the mechanism.
When ignorance, the absurd and science fiction are clearly on display, a sarcastic wit needs to draw attention to the problem.
God is my comfort and foundation, the bible simply gives me instructions on how to reach him.
Evolution is a mechanism that can Not explain why there is something instead of nothing.
can not explain the origins or what caused creation ,,OR seeds
Evolution DOES NOT KNOW... And it is on that nonsensical foundation that you heap science fiction on,hoping to make it credible , all because you have no other choice on the matter.
It is absurd,illogical and incomprehensible for one to claim not to know , while on the other hand claiming to know it was not GOD.

BTW Glad to see you backed off on ignoring me,as did witchetty...

If you are ever in England,drop by the Nottingham city asylum and visit Krak tu ,
OHHHHHHHHHH , I forgot , he had his locations mixed up.
He be living in Kentucky all along.....As you know, Pre K is a twit LOL

Location hidden

#128036 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you failed to answer any of my questions with any substance, your ignorance is as great as mine.
I directly answered your questions. Now you're just being dismissive.
Lehi wrote:
Actually your argument is that the Maple seed evolves through mutation, my question is, do those mutations continue today and if so, why don't we see new designs and if not, then how did the tree know when to stop because success in design was achieved?
Hope that's a little simpler for you.
Mutations continue, yes. The propagation of mutations is dependent on selection. Once a highly successful trait has been evolved, like the maple "wings", it will persist. There may be no advantage to the "wing" being a slightly different shape or length at this point.

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#128037 Apr 9, 2014
Last time I argued this sort of thing, I used the example of how the honey bee pollinates a flower and the fact that without this taking place, we would go hungry. I asked how the flower knew what smell and color it needed to attract the bee. The answer I got was that the bee and flower "blundered into cooperation". I still get a chuckle out of that.

It just amazes me that some people think it's easier to believe it all happened on it own rather than by intelligent design. I think I have finally figured it out, belief in intelligent design requires intelligence, belief in everything from nothing fits easier into the thinking of the simple mind.

Once there was nothing and then it blew up and here we are, amazing.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#128038 Apr 9, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!
In fact, better than "well."
I would say PERFECT!
There are many reasons not to believe in "gods," especially Yahweh of the bible, but the reason you just stated is possibly the best.
Thanks!

If you think about it, the Bible god must have known about the Golden Rule and how it is our highest measures of good, ethical behaviour. After all, what can any church, mosque, synagogue, temple, etc, teach us that is more important than the Golden Rule? Yet the Bible god chose to ignore it.

The bible depicts a god who wants his followers to kill others for various different reasons, including but not limited to:

Exterminating the Canaanites and other tribes.
Killing people simply because they exercised freedom of religion.
Killing homosexuals because the Bible god doesn't like them.

At this point it may be useful to bear in mind that during the time the Bible god was ignoring the Golden Rule, other belief systems (Hinduism, Jainism) were advocating its use.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128039 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not talking about origins. Why are you trying to change the subject? Because your knowledge of evolution is so embarrassingly poor?
<quoted text>
Yes, it does. Quite easily.
<quoted text>
I forgot that you are incapable of understanding analogies. I apologize for the headache it must have given you.
<quoted text>
Balls are not living organisms that reproduce with modification. Trees are.
NAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh, What I am trying to find out is how these genes contained iin seeds developed these abilities that you are attributing to them. From whence did they originate? That is where you are stuck in reverse while travelling uphill and getting nowhere fast.
Since balls are not living organnisms , why did you bring up that absurd analogy which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Your analogies seem to have the same effect on me as the Cross has on Atheists.
You give me a headache, depression, dyspepsia and mental anguish.
I am going to take a page from American Atheists org. and file a lawsuit against Topix and see if I can have you banned..........Permanently... ......LOL
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128040 Apr 9, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
If you think about it, the Bible god must have known about the Golden Rule and how it is our highest measures of good, ethical behaviour. After all, what can any church, mosque, synagogue, temple, etc, teach us that is more important than the Golden Rule? Yet the Bible god chose to ignore it.
The bible depicts a god who wants his followers to kill others for various different reasons, including but not limited to:
Exterminating the Canaanites and other tribes.
Killing people simply because they exercised freedom of religion.
Killing homosexuals because the Bible god doesn't like them.
At this point it may be useful to bear in mind that during the time the Bible god was ignoring the Golden Rule, other belief systems (Hinduism, Jainism) were advocating its use.
Hey PreK , How is the weather in kentucky today?
I see that you and Wichettys atheism has your mind in total disarray.
If you do not truly believe in God , why are you making such erronoeus and absurd accusations against him?
Perhaps you need mental counselling?
Might I suggest that you get hold of David Seville and the chipmunks . They may give you the name of a witch doctor who may be able to set you nad witchetty mentally straight.
The witch doctor will tell you what to say , the witch doctor will tell you what to do
OOOOH eee ooooh aaah aah ,ooogh eeee ooo aaa aaaa ting tang wally wally bang bang
ting tang wally wally bang bang.
You should know it by heart . It is the city national anthem for Nottingham.
Composed by Robin Hood ,while hiding in Sherwood forrest.......
Dog Boy and proud

Location hidden

#128041 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
I asked how the flower knew what smell and color it needed to attract the bee.
What's so confusing? Better smelling and looking flowers are going to attract bees. Those flowers are then going to be pollinated.
Lehi wrote:
It just amazes me that some people think it's easier to believe it all happened on it own rather than by intelligent design.
It amazes you that people follow scientific evidence rather than belief in religious myths?
Lehi wrote:
I think I have finally figured it out, belief in intelligent design requires intelligence, belief in everything from nothing fits easier into the thinking of the simple mind.
lol, religious belief requires no intelligence - just blind adherence. Faith is the ultimate form of laziness. While people who support science go out in search of answers, people who support faith simply make them up.

Location hidden

#128042 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
What I am trying to find out is how these genes contained iin seeds developed these abilities that you are attributing to them.
Developed what abilities? Please be more specific.
curious wrote:
Since balls are not living organnisms , why did you bring up that absurd analogy which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
To mock your rejection of evidence in favor of blind faith.
curious wrote:
You give me a headache, depression, dyspepsia and mental anguish.
Probably because I ask you to actually use your brain. It has atrophied.

“Hats Off to God”

3rd Rock

#128043 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
< There may be no advantage to the "wing" being a slightly different shape or length at this point.
So why did the tree stop changing it's seed design? How did it know the task was accomplished?

“Hats Off to God”

3rd Rock

#128044 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What's so confusing? Better smelling and looking flowers are going to attract bees. Those flowers are then going to be pollinated.
<quoted text>
It amazes you that people follow scientific evidence rather than belief in religious myths?
<quoted text>
lol, religious belief requires no intelligence - just blind adherence. Faith is the ultimate form of laziness. While people who support science go out in search of answers, people who support faith simply make them up.
Who told the bee to look for better smelling flowers? Who told the plant that if it makes a certain scent, the bees will come carry their pollen?

It's lazy to assume it all just happened, believing in intelligent design requires intelligence and much rational thought.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128045 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
Last time I argued this sort of thing, I used the example of how the honey bee pollinates a flower and the fact that without this taking place, we would go hungry. I asked how the flower knew what smell and color it needed to attract the bee. The answer I got was that the bee and flower "blundered into cooperation". I still get a chuckle out of that.
It just amazes me that some people think it's easier to believe it all happened on it own rather than by intelligent design. I think I have finally figured it out, belief in intelligent design requires intelligence, belief in everything from nothing fits easier into the thinking of the simple mind.
Once there was nothing and then it blew up and here we are, amazing.
Yup , you need to be careful when you are blundering around . I used to blunder into women whenever I went out. I had more paternity lawsuits than there are flies on a manure patch.
They claimed that I had pollinated them..........LOL
And don't forget , for everything to have happened on it's own entails a nonexisting ,nonintelligent and nonconscious nonforce..........Indubidably astounding event..
Miraculous even,,,, Except we believe who the creating agent is..........

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128046 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When ignorance, the absurd and science fiction are clearly on display, a sarcastic wit needs to draw attention to the problem.
God is my comfort and foundation, the bible simply gives me instructions on how to reach him.
Evolution is a mechanism that can Not explain why there is something instead of nothing.
can not explain the origins or what caused creation ,,OR seeds
Evolution DOES NOT KNOW... And it is on that nonsensical foundation that you heap science fiction on,hoping to make it credible , all because you have no other choice on the matter.
It is absurd,illogical and incomprehensible for one to claim not to know , while on the other hand claiming to know it was not GOD.
BTW Glad to see you backed off on ignoring me,as did witchetty...
If you are ever in England,drop by the Nottingham city asylum and visit Krak tu ,
OHHHHHHHHHH , I forgot , he had his locations mixed up.
He be living in Kentucky all along.....As you know, Pre K is a twit LOL
You are stuck on the questions such as "Why is there air? Why are we here and where do we go when we die?" and anticipate that botany, biology and zoology must be able to answer them. Those aren't tangible questions. The answers to such philosophical wondering is not found in physics, archaeology or paleontology.
Evolution does not try to explain why or how there is something and not nothing. It is a process by which living things change through generations. It has been theorized, researched, observed and established as an actual and real process. <shrug> You can deny it all you want, but you can deny the sky is blue and the Earth is round while you're at it and to the same effect. I'm neither offended nor impressed by that - despite how diligently you seem to try to be impressively offensive. You are among those who claim to "know" that a god is why and how there is something and not nothing - yet that "knowledge" is based on nothing more tangible than belief in a personally favored dogma - in short, not evidence, but feelings. Have at it, but don't expect that I'm going to praise you for being so insecure in your faith that you have to conjure up and pay homage to fantasies like intelligent design and creationism simply because you fear your religion is threatened by real knowledge founded on real science.

Location hidden

#128047 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
So why did the tree stop changing it's seed design? How did it know the task was accomplished?
The cease to change when there is no longer a pressure for change or mutations from that point would be non-advantageous.

Let's simplify this down to one trait: the length of the seed "wing". The seed initially starts with just having an edge. The seed travels...nowhere. A mutation occurs where some seed pods have a longer edge, a slight "wing". With this, the seed travels a couple feet, which is better than straight down, so this allele is passed on.

This process repeats with the "wings" getting longer. Eventually they are around 2 inches or so, a length where they are very successful.

Some seed will experience another mutation where their "wings" are slightly longer, but this doesn't happen to travel as far as the 2 inch ones. This variation will not succeed.

So, we will continue to see the 2-inch seed "wings" indefinitely because they are in the sweet spot. Point mutations that increase or decrease the length are both inferior.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128048 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Developed what abilities? Please be more specific.
<quoted text>
To mock your rejection of evidence in favor of blind faith.
<quoted text>
Probably because I ask you to actually use your brain. It has atrophied.
Gee, you are of a lower intellect than I gave you credit for. You are the one who mentioned the abilities contained genes...Don't remember do ya? Go back and read what you posted.

You were not mocking, you thought you had made an intelligent analogy , now that it has blown up in your face" KABOOOOOOOOM" you are attempting to extricate yourself from your ignorant remarks.

There you go again ,basing your unfounded opinion s on " Probably"
I , on the other hand , will not ask you to use what you don't have" a Brain"
I will address all my questions to the lint that has accumulated on your belly button,as I am doing now..........

Location hidden

#128049 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Who told the bee to look for better smelling flowers?
No one told them. If you walk by a bakery and something smells really good, aren't you attracted to that scent? No one has to tell you to smell it. You know the smell. You know it's associated with delicious baked goods.

Bees know that bright flowers with attractive smells are associated with nectar. So they go there.
Lehi wrote:
Who told the plant that if it makes a certain scent, the bees will come carry their pollen?
No one. Plants have different smells. The ones that are positively received by bees will be successful.
Lehi wrote:
It's lazy to assume it all just happened
It requires an immense amount of work to determine how things happened. How many billions of man hours have been put into scientifically studying the world and trying to figure out how things happened? That's lazy?
Lehi wrote:
believing in intelligent design requires intelligence and much rational thought.
In what way?

Location hidden

#128050 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, you are of a lower intellect than I gave you credit for. You are the one who mentioned the abilities contained genes...Don't remember do ya?
Abilities do not contain genes. Please specific the abilities you are referring to.
curious wrote:
You were not mocking, you thought you had made an intelligent analogy
Of course I was mocking you. What did you think the purpose of the analogy was?

Sorry, bad question - you don't understand analogies at all.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128051 Apr 9, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are stuck on the questions such as "Why is there air? Why are we here and where do we go when we die?" and anticipate that botany, biology and zoology must be able to answer them. Those aren't tangible questions. The answers to such philosophical wondering is not found in physics, archaeology or paleontology.
Evolution does not try to explain why or how there is something and not nothing. It is a process by which living things change through generations. It has been theorized, researched, observed and established as an actual and real process. <shrug> You can deny it all you want, but you can deny the sky is blue and the Earth is round while you're at it and to the same effect. I'm neither offended nor impressed by that - despite how diligently you seem to try to be impressively offensive. You are among those who claim to "know" that a god is why and how there is something and not nothing - yet that "knowledge" is based on nothing more tangible than belief in a personally favored dogma - in short, not evidence, but feelings. Have at it, but don't expect that I'm going to praise you for being so insecure in your faith that you have to conjure up and pay homage to fantasies like intelligent design and creationism simply because you fear your religion is threatened by real knowledge founded on real science.
You stated that evolution is a mechanism , I pointed out that Evolution is unable to answer the KEY questions that are of interest to me , nor is it able to disprove my beliefs.
Yes, why am I here and how I got here was of interest to me at one time ., but not any more.
Those questions have been answered more than satisfactorily.
As usual, you are attributing views to me which I have never expressed. However , I have become accustomed to your fountain of misinformation.
I have NEVER said that I know that God is, you may not yet realize it, but, there isa difference between knowing and believing.
The rest of the nonsense that you posted, that my faith is based on my feelings Yada yada yada , is exactly that, nonsense.
I do not seek nor am I interested in your praise, so if that is what you believe,you are sadly mistaken.
I am not afraid that either evolution or science threaten my faith.
To date , no one has been able to provide a scintilla of evidence that would cause my faith to be shaken.. If anything ,what atheists have posted has only served to strengthen my faith.
The basis for their attempt to disprove my daith is founded on an "We don't know and may never know" That is hardly sufficient to get me to even vaguely consider questioning my faith.
Anyhow, we have travelled down this road before and I have seen or read absolutely nothing
from science,evolution or personal opinions that would lead me to believe other than what I believe.
My God Lives , My God reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128052 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Abilities do not contain genes. Please specific the abilities you are referring to.
<quoted text>
Of course I was mocking you. What did you think the purpose of the analogy was?
Sorry, bad question - you don't understand analogies at all.
I KNOW what the purpose of your analogy was. You were trying to validate your beliefs and when I pointed out how irrational and nonsencical your attempts were, you decided to cover your behind by claming other wise..
Nice try..........But,,,,,,,,,,We gotcha......Rev. Al
YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, Me quoting Rev, Al whodda thunkit

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128053 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You stated that evolution is a mechanism , I pointed out that Evolution is unable to answer the KEY questions that are of interest to me , nor is it able to disprove my beliefs.
Yes, why am I here and how I got here was of interest to me at one time ., but not any more.
Those questions have been answered more than satisfactorily.
As usual, you are attributing views to me which I have never expressed. However , I have become accustomed to your fountain of misinformation.
I have NEVER said that I know that God is, you may not yet realize it, but, there isa difference between knowing and believing.
The rest of the nonsense that you posted, that my faith is based on my feelings Yada yada yada , is exactly that, nonsense.
I do not seek nor am I interested in your praise, so if that is what you believe,you are sadly mistaken.
I am not afraid that either evolution or science threaten my faith.
To date , no one has been able to provide a scintilla of evidence that would cause my faith to be shaken.. If anything ,what atheists have posted has only served to strengthen my faith.
The basis for their attempt to disprove my daith is founded on an "We don't know and may never know" That is hardly sufficient to get me to even vaguely consider questioning my faith.
Anyhow, we have travelled down this road before and I have seen or read absolutely nothing
from science,evolution or personal opinions that would lead me to believe other than what I believe.
My God Lives , My God reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord
Since evolution (and science and evidence for that matter) is irrelevant to your philosophical, metaphysical and theistic questions, why did you bring it up? Is it just something that unnaturally sticks in your craw out of ack. gag.. principle?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There's a lot of "Little Caesars" type women in... 5 min Seizing the moment 3
thank you 50 min Teresa 9
all dads 1 hr Cant-fix-stupid 9
Wreck!! 1 hr Cant-fix-stupid 7
What's best place to get front end alignment? (Mar '13) 6 hr Stanly 22
Judge hall supports Kilgore 25e sign 10 hr Jim 8
Where can you get non-ethonal gas around B'ville? 11 hr NonEthanol 1
Who hung them self in town? Thu Justin 9

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web