Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 141486 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#127976 Apr 8, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>It's in many of them...
First... Loving God... If you Love God, you are less apt to do BAD things!
Next... Honoring your parents... How much Dishonor would you bring your parents
by being a rapist?
Lastly... Coveting your neighbors wife....
See.... I understand why you missed these things....
Living in Darkness as you do!
Last time you spoke about honouring your parents, I asked you a question.

You ran away and left it unanswered.

Care to answer it if I ask it again?

Nottingham, UK

#127977 Apr 8, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>NONE of your science is going to keep you from dying....
None of your money will add a day....
I know where I deserve to go, and I know where I am going!
I KNOW God is real, and you do too... deep down you do!
When your last breath comes.... Hold that thought!
Yours is the divinity of doubt as found in the lexicon of futility - often referred to as the Bible.

Nottingham, UK

#127978 Apr 8, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You do remember the parts when Pharaoh killed the Hebrew boys, and the slavery they endured???
Of course not... doesn't feed your Liberal narrative!
Your god supports slavery so what's the problem?

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#127979 Apr 8, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence quite strongly shows that everything around us is a result of natural processes, not gods.
Your statement is little more than a more vague 21st century version of "Of course Thor exists. Where else would lightning come from?!?!"
If it's a "natural" process like you say then how did the Maple tree know how to attach an airplane wing to it's seeds so they would stay lofted longer and be carried away farther? How did the Dandelion know how much fluffy stuff to attach to it's seeds so the gentle breeze cold carry it away?

I could go on but you will just claim it all was "natural process".
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#127980 Apr 8, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
And why was Pharaoh's army in pursuit of Moses and his people?
Especially as Pharaoh had already decided to let them go.
Because after they were released, God decided to take harden Pharaoh's heart again and thus take away Pharaoh's free will.
obviously not a very nice version of God. but the Old and New Testaments, and so called holy books of other religions, are full of stories that depict a nasty God. It is ridiculous that so called good people who would not do nasty things themselves think it is fine if God did it. I heard a nice old lady say once that she didn't believe that part, and it was nice of her, but other folks could point out the passage that refers to God hardening Pharaoh's heart. I felt that was about as nasty a thing to do to her faith as to try to show her that there is no reason to believe in the Biblical God at all. Cafeteria Christians who only want the parts that indicate a nice God have much less of the Bible to bother reading, for one thing.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#127981 Apr 8, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
How many babies in the womb were murdered by your god?
Had to be in the billions since it was ok that to hump anything 10 years or older by the state of Delewares standards .
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#127982 Apr 8, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's a "natural" process like you say then how did the Maple tree know how to attach an airplane wing to it's seeds so they would stay lofted longer and be carried away farther? How did the Dandelion know how much fluffy stuff to attach to it's seeds so the gentle breeze cold carry it away?
How does the murderer know how to kill? Hats off to God for making him aware of how to do it? If you praise a God for all you think is good, you had better be ready to see your allpowerful God blamed for all that is bad - even if you believe in a Satan that God allows to do the dirty work, when obviously an allpowerful God could not have allowed there to even be such a being as you may wish to blame for bad things. Or perhaps you think murder is a good thing too?
AgnosticDude

Mckee, KY

#127983 Apr 8, 2014
Don't any of you see? Religion is the worst subject to talk about to other people. People take it to dayum seriously. Come on, chill your tits guys. My whole family ridicules me because I am an atheist.

It's too much of a sensitive topic for some. Will you all please stop arguing over such a stupid topic? It's just a magic guy that's everywhere that you can not see. And you argue over it. It's been 3000 years, act like actual intelligent beings and stop arguing over such a stupid thing like religion. I'm surprised people still fall for this crap.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#127984 Apr 8, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so fast, the youngins "Mormons" do not all agree with you, sorry if you are shock. You need to get on board with science.

Why Mormons Should Embrace Evolution: BYU Biology Professor Steven Peck

In fact, Joseph Smith was called by some of his most thoughtful followers,ďa scientist.Ē Evolution by natural selection is the most important scientific discovery of modern times (I am stoically unapologetic about the lack of equivocation in that statement). The evidences for it are staggeringly abundant, detailed, and scientifically undeniable. Our perspective of an open canon allows us to accept this new revelation from the book of nature without getting stuck in past pre-Darwinian quagmires. Mormons are all about continuing revelation. Itís what we do best.

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/flunkings...
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/flunkings...
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#127985 Apr 8, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Why evolution matters to LDS Theology
BY STEVEP, ON JULY 3RD, 2013

http://sciencebysteve.net/why-evolution-matte...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#127988 Apr 8, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You do remember the parts when Pharaoh killed the Hebrew boys, and the slavery they endured???
Of course not... doesn't feed your Liberal narrative!
So god killed the babies and got no result? So much for all knowing. Maybe if he tried a moral way he would have better results.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#127989 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
To start with, they couldn't stick with just worshipping the Living God that just freed them from bondage. They made idols very shortly after. This ticked God off pretty bad. I can see why.
The Holy Priesthood or Melchizedek Priesthood was restored by Jesus Christ. The Aaronic Priesthood deals with temporal ordinances such as baptism and the sacrament or communion. John held this priesthood power which had been passed down from father to son and is why he had the authority to baptize the Savior. The Melchizedek Priesthood deals with eternal ordinances such as the Gift of the Holy Ghost or baptism by fire, sealing on earth AND in Heaven such as marriage (we believe families are forever and we are sealed for time and eternity, not til death do we part), and sealing parents to children.
Well as I already said, Moses had the idol worshipers promptly executed, so that excuse fails. The Jews that were left over did follow the ideas of the claimed god in general, so again, acting as if you or any Christians can do it better than them fails.
And the ideas of priesthood you cite are nothing difficult to follow. So you have supplied no logical reasoning for your apologetic. I am sure you do not doubt the logic they claim, but that is the problem. I do not automatically accept such apologetics.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#127990 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know for sure where the garden was unless God revealed it? The Bible does not say where it was located, neither does the Book of Mormon.
Well seeing as how the oldest human bones are not found in the Americas, evidence is against your claim.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#127991 Apr 8, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was given that name at his birth. The question was when did he become the Christ?
The correct answer:
It was at his baptism by John in the Jordan River in 29 CE
Matthew 3:16,17
The word Christ means anointed one on that date Jesus became the anointed one or the Christ.
He was anointed and ordained to be the Christ before the foundation of the world.

Location hidden

#127992 Apr 8, 2014
Wait a minute wrote:
<quoted text>Then can we say God lied? That He is not against adultery, fornication and bigamy? We both know it cannot be both ways. It is deserving of discussion I think. Can God say to not commit adultery and flee fornication and still condone multiple wives, concubines and such as allowing a handmaiden to conceive a child by another woman's husband? Then makes a great covenant with this man. Still God kept His promise to Abraham and Sarah and blessed them with a child in old age What about Abraham and what he and his daughters did? I'm very serious in trying to find a reasonable explanation here. If I had multiple spouses and partners, got drunk and slept with my children , whom also bore my children, the murderous act David pulled because he wanted Bathsheba and so on , I would know in my heart I was headed straight for hell. Exactly what made these men great in the sight of God? Can you help out here?
Adultery is sexual relations outside the bonds of marriage. Where does the Bible say only one wife? It would have been considered sin for each of those prophets if God didn't approve, but it was not. We are even told that David was near perfect. They were God's messengers. They led God's people righteously. That's why they were considered great.

Location hidden

#127993 Apr 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Wait....

So Jesus was a descendant of a man who had concubines and was obviously bisexual?

Was Mary bisexual as well?

NO

Mary was homosexual until she was raped by the roman soldier. Jesus' father.
What? Hello left field

Location hidden

#127994 Apr 8, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever you want to believe...
My Dad was a Mormon... I thank God, he died a Christian!

BTW.... Search Mormon contradictions ,
and Mormons becoming Christians.
Sounds like he was always a Christian

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#127995 Apr 8, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
He got it wrong.
The second should be the greatest.
Why? Because it's a variation of the Golden Rule - I guess you've heard of it.
The Golden Rule is all about ethical goodness on a reciprocal basis and you'll see it manifested in numerous religions in many different words. As you stated, Jesus mentions it in the NT although he was far from being the first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule
I'm sure you'll agree that wishing no harm or suffering on others is understandably a good thing. Yet harm is exactly what your god wishes on people and he expects his followers to obey him and break the Golden Rule.
Surely the merit of any religion isn't what you believe in but more about what you do? In other words, it's all about how you treat your fellow human beings. Extending the same treatment to other people that you would expect them to extend to you is undoubtedly the pinnacle of human ethical behaviour.
Also, if God/Allah/Brahma/Shiva/etc, really do exist, yet they insist that we humans must break the Golden Rule to get to Heaven; then they aren't worth thinking about.
Let's look at the god of the Bible: His main condition for us to get our pass for Heaven is not about treating our fellow humans decently and respectfully. Oh no, the Golden Rule doesn't matter to God. All that matters to him is that we love Jesus more than anyone else and with every fibre of our being.
You may like the idea of spending eternity with such a vain, egotistical, self-centred deity but not me.
Well said!
In fact, better than "well."
I would say PERFECT!
There are many reasons not to believe in "gods," especially Yahweh of the bible, but the reason you just stated is possibly the best.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#127996 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews were just one branch at that time. They came from Judah. There were 11 other tribes back then too. Hebrews was a term that encompassed many tribes.
Also, the Melchizedek Priesthood, being the higher priesthood, is the power that was used to create the Heavens and earth. It was the power Jesus used to control the seas and skies. The power over death, to restore sight, walk on water, conquer death, be resurrected.
So this priesthood was something Jews did not want or what? You keep dodging the million dollar question. Why did the Jews need different standards? They are as much people as you and I. What you keep inferring is they must be lesser. But of course you deny this. So we are left with a giant contradiction.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#127997 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha. It did to me too until I studied it for myself. I understand that it doesn't make sense to others. It's really difficult to open your mind and allow the Holy Ghost to teach you.
The difficult part for me is ignoring the contradictions, lack of any evidence, and a story that does not have sound logic.
Ghosts do not teach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oasis pizza 1 hr years ago 3
Can someone tell me about mark hobbs? 2 hr shocked 4
The Oven Mitt 2 hr Kim 30
Tony Mills 3 hr finally 1
Jason Marsee shot Ford Collett 3 hr Fact 48
looking for blacksmith equipment 6 hr dirty Harry 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 7 hr cold warrior 685
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE