Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 180102 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#128000 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He was anointed and ordained to be the Christ before the foundation of the world.
I guess you know something I don't know. I only go by what the Bible says and it says he was anointed at his baptism.
If you are correct then he had to be anointed all over again if he was already anointed before in heaven.
Come on "do whut" the Bible shows that there and only be one true religion. Can you prove that Mormonism is the true one? And I need more than just you saying you are, I need proof from the Bible.
Have at it.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128001 Apr 8, 2014
wait a minute wrote:
<quoted text>That is such a cop out reply We are talking about time on earth not in Heaven. There is no time in Heaven. That is why a day, a thousand years makes no difference.
a cop out answer is claiming you know the "brothers of Christ" yet can give no real criteria. Much less back it up with scripture.
We have given good reasons as to why you have no logical reason to dismiss Joseph smith as a brother of Christ. You have failed to refute them with scripture.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128002 Apr 8, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
These were my words. So I guess thanks for the compliment.
Just because you know of some Christians that do not do everything correctly, doesn't mean Christ's teachings are false. Men are fallible. I expect all Christians to sin at some point and have to repent, again.
If there was no miracle, and it was just a story, did Pharaoh allow them to leave? Did he build a bridge for them?
The 12 tribes of Israel certainly knew of the priesthood. They all believed heavily on the Levitical Priesthood or Aaronic Priesthood. However the higher priesthood had not been on the earth for centuries before Jesus restored it. We know Abraham had it. We suppose it followed through Isaac, to Israel but we don't know after that.
The priesthood is the power and authority to act in God's name. All ordinances are done with this power, such as the laying on of hands as Jesus did when ordaining the apostles or healing the lame/sick. It is the same power that the heavens and earth were created by.
Not sure if you even understand my dispute. You claim the Jews were not worthy of the supposed higher law, yet you cannot show the Jews to be less worry or why. And I showed the idol worshipers were killed by Moses, so for the umpteenth time, that excuse holds no water.

Who says the Jews did not take a boat? Well the guys selling you a story are, but again, if the story does not add up, the story might be filled with lies. You just seem to automatically assume it is all perfect truth. Well the archeological evidence says it seems like a made up story.
Seems to me, most of the story is fabrication.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#128004 Apr 9, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you know something I don't know. I only go by what the Bible says and it says he was anointed at his baptism.
If you are correct then he had to be anointed all over again if he was already anointed before in heaven.
Come on "do whut" the Bible shows that there and only be one true religion. Can you prove that Mormonism is the true one? And I need more than just you saying you are, I need proof from the Bible.
Have at it.
Jesus died for Joseph Smith's sins and for Solomon's sins.

Joseph and Solomon were laughing like hyenas

"Look at that idiot on the cross"

Bwahahahahahaha

Jesus cried before he died.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128005 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's a "natural" process like you say then how did the Maple tree know how to attach an airplane wing to it's seeds so they would stay lofted longer and be carried away farther? How did the Dandelion know how much fluffy stuff to attach to it's seeds so the gentle breeze cold carry it away?
Evolution of seed dispersal mechanisms.

Maples trees with seed pods that had an elongated edge that the wind carried farther had more survivors and passed on those genes.

Fluffier dandelions had more survivors and passed on those genes.

You act like this is some big mystery.
no wonder no woman

Wilmington, DE

#128006 Apr 9, 2014
critical spirit.
no wonder no woman

Wilmington, DE

#128007 Apr 9, 2014
why the arguing if you're a Christian just live your life and worry about you and yours ---I didn't ask for nothing and I don't want nothing --you need a partner.
no wonder no woman

Wilmington, DE

#128008 Apr 9, 2014
Jude 1:2
2 Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#128009 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution of seed dispersal mechanisms.
Maples trees with seed pods that had an elongated edge that the wind carried farther had more survivors and passed on those genes.
Fluffier dandelions had more survivors and passed on those genes.
You act like this is some big mystery.
Do we have fossil evidence to back that up or is that another "missing link"? Show me the evidence please.

I don't think the distance a seed travels would have much effect on it survival. It makes more sense that an intelligent designer saw the need for trees to advance across the planet.

To me it is harder to believe your idea than to believe intelligent design was responsible but I can see how some egos need to feel supreme.

At least explain to me how having the Maple/Dandelion seed travel farther would make it's survival any better than if the seeds were dropped straight down to the soil. Can you do that?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128010 Apr 9, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly I can not follow your line of thinking.
For Example I cite a passage in the Bible showing where Paul who was a Pharasee leading the charge to stone Christians then you formulate some legalistic argument that that was not murder.
Or I cite Bible passages NT and OT about Noah who built an arch boat as big as a football field out in the middle of dry land and cite passages about these facts and the judgement of mankind etc. and you try to formulate some incoherent legal argument
Obviously this is a pattern.
I think you are either on drugs or alcohol or you are completely out of your mind.
You are not a believer and in fact you are a hater so I guess I just give you a pass and move on.
No, Simply put, you make claims that are unsubstantiated and I call you on them. You have contributed little besides a growing list of failures and lies. That does not make me a hater, it just means you can't admit being wrong.

It isn't a matter of legalistic semantics. It is a matter of you pretending Jews were victims of a monstrous persecutor when they were in fact being prosecuted by their own court for violating (and in accordance to) their own sacred laws. The "fact" that you want to interpret things differently 2,000 years later because you are a Christian "believer" in Paul the Christ does not change the society and politics of ancient Jerusalem. Neither does any Byzantinian spin.
Saul was a Pharisee, which would categorize him as a Torah fundamentalist, but while he may have held some influence, he was not an elder and could not hold a position as judge. Saul had allegedly assisted the Sanhedrin in indicting a Jewish cult under the Deuteronomic code and Mosaic laws, but that does not make him a murderer or you would have to agree that every other OT killing under those "God given" ordinances was also murder - which you will not do because you are a "believer" - so you think you deserve "a pass and move on." Were Moses and the Levites murderers or righteous? Wasn't Elijah guilty of murdering Jezebel's priests? You can't have it both ways.

Again and still, you have not cited even a single verse to support your statements that Noah was mocked and that he invited any outside of his immediate family aboard the boat. EVER.
Of course, since the flood never happened it isn't a matter of setting the historical record straight. It's a matter of: you do NOT deserve "a pass and move on" to further unsubstantiated and irresponsible claims.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#128011 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we have fossil evidence to back that up or is that another "missing link"? Show me the evidence please.
I don't think the distance a seed travels would have much effect on it survival. It makes more sense that an intelligent designer saw the need for trees to advance across the planet.
To me it is harder to believe your idea than to believe intelligent design was responsible but I can see how some egos need to feel supreme.
At least explain to me how having the Maple/Dandelion seed travel farther would make it's survival any better than if the seeds were dropped straight down to the soil. Can you do that?
Anyone who had science in high school knows that answer.
Did you not go to high school?

If all the seeds dropped very close to the parent plant, there would be severe competition for the available resources.
Many would not survive because of that.
Those who spread out farther would have more opportunity for resources and, therefore, survival.

Location hidden

#128012 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Another "missing link"? Here come the Creationist terms. No, I don't personally know of fossils for seed evolution.

What exactly is your objection? Do you not believe fruits/seeds can vary in size and shape? Do you not believe that those fruits/seeds with better attributes for survival will reproduce more than those with inferior attributes for survival? Do you not believe organisms pass on their genes?
Lehi wrote:
I don't think the distance a seed travels would have much effect on it survival.
If seeds drop right next to a large parent tree, then they are competing for resources: space, nutrients, and sunlight. And the seed is going to have a hard time beating the established plant. It's beneficial to be further away to avoid these conflicts as well as to spread its presence.
Lehi wrote:
It makes more sense that an intelligent designer saw the need for trees to advance across the planet.
That doesn't make any sense. An intelligent designer would simply place the trees where desired. No mechanism for spreading would be necessary at all.
Lehi wrote:
It's harder to believe in a process that is easily explained and known to occur than a mysterious process that relies on magical entities not known to exist?

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#128013 Apr 9, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Your spiritual LDS brother " biology professor Steven Peck" at BYU can explain it for you. I see Mormons are divided on this issue. I wonder if their will be another spin off from the Mormon church?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128014 Apr 9, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who had science in high school knows that answer.
Did you not go to high school?
If all the seeds dropped very close to the parent plant, there would be severe competition for the available resources.
Many would not survive because of that.
Those who spread out farther would have more opportunity for resources and, therefore, survival.
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>

Lehi, Witchetty is correct ,LOL When the seeds dropped close to the parent plant , they started dying like flies. So they got together and e mailed the seeds still in the tree and advised them that they had to develop the ability to fly further away from the parent plant in order to survive.
The seeds developed a solution that was able to eliminate this problem.
This may be hard to believe , but, seeds are more intelligent than one may believe.
Studies have shown that seeds have a higher IQ than unbelievers..........LOL

BTW I am in complete agreement with you,Unfortunately , those who refuse to believe in God
have to resort to science fiction (evolution) in order to explain their surroundings , regardless of how ridiculous their explanations are.
EVOLUTION IS NOT THE SOLUTION
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#128015 Apr 9, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Simply put, you make claims that are unsubstantiated and I call you on them. You have contributed little besides a growing list of failures and lies. That does not make me a hater, it just means you can't admit being wrong.
It isn't a matter of legalistic semantics. It is a matter of you pretending Jews were victims of a monstrous persecutor when they were in fact being prosecuted by their own court for violating (and in accordance to) their own sacred laws. The "fact" that you want to interpret things differently 2,000 years later because you are a Christian "believer" in Paul the Christ does not change the society and politics of ancient Jerusalem. Neither does any Byzantinian spin.
Saul was a Pharisee, which would categorize him as a Torah fundamentalist, but while he may have held some influence, he was not an elder and could not hold a position as judge. Saul had allegedly assisted the Sanhedrin in indicting a Jewish cult under the Deuteronomic code and Mosaic laws, but that does not make him a murderer or you would have to agree that every other OT killing under those "God given" ordinances was also murder - which you will not do because you are a "believer" - so you think you deserve "a pass and move on." Were Moses and the Levites murderers or righteous? Wasn't Elijah guilty of murdering Jezebel's priests? You can't have it both ways.
Again and still, you have not cited even a single verse to support your statements that Noah was mocked and that he invited any outside of his immediate family aboard the boat. EVER.
Of course, since the flood never happened it isn't a matter of setting the historical record straight. It's a matter of: you do NOT deserve "a pass and move on" to further unsubstantiated and irresponsible claims.
Good post. Atheist/agnostics are very good at debating with religious moderates and extremists.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#128016 Apr 9, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The difficult part for me is ignoring the contradictions, lack of any evidence, and a story that does not have sound logic.
Ghosts do not teach.
What contradictions?
In the OT it was called "necromancy" and the god Yahweh's lawful penalty for soliciting and receiving information from the dead was public execution by stoning - or as 70 might call it nowadays, "divine inspiration" and "murder."
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#128017 Apr 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Another "missing link"? Here come the Creationist terms. No, I don't personally know of fossils for seed evolution.
What exactly is your objection? Do you not believe fruits/seeds can vary in size and shape? Do you not believe that those fruits/seeds with better attributes for survival will reproduce more than those with inferior attributes for survival? Do you not believe organisms pass on their genes?
<quoted text>
If seeds drop right next to a large parent tree, then they are competing for resources: space, nutrients, and sunlight. And the seed is going to have a hard time beating the established plant. It's beneficial to be further away to avoid these conflicts as well as to spread its presence.
<quoted text>
That doesn't make any sense. An intelligent designer would simply place the trees where desired. No mechanism for spreading would be necessary at all.
<quoted text>
It's harder to believe in a process that is easily explained and known to occur than a mysterious process that relies on magical entities not known to exist?
Sorry, but that's ridiculous.
I'm a little lite when it comes to science myself, I really have enjoyed reading your comments. Keep up the great debates. I hope these debates will be read by others centuries from now.

Location hidden

#128018 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
This may be hard to believe , but, seeds are more intelligent than one may believe.
Mutation plus natural selection.
curious wrote:
Nothing more amusing than someone being cocky about their own ignorance.

When I throw a ball, it goes down to the ground. How does the ball KNOW to go back to the ground? Is it smart? Scientists tell us about this fancy INVISIBLE "gravity" nonsense. We all know that Jesus sends angels to bring the balls back down to the ground so we don't lose them.

[QUOTE who="curiousUnfortunately , those who refuse to believe in God
have to resort to science fiction (evolution) in order to explain their surroundings , regardless of how ridiculous their explanations are.
[/QUOTE]

There's nothing ridiculous about the solution unless your science comprehension level is at a kindergarten level.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#128019 Apr 9, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Lehi, Witchetty is correct ,LOL When the seeds dropped close to the parent plant , they started dying like flies. So they got together and e mailed the seeds still in the tree and advised them that they had to develop the ability to fly further away from the parent plant in order to survive.
BTW I am in complete agreement with you,Unfortunately , those who refuse to believe in God
EVOLUTION IS NOT THE SOLUTION
Sarcasm is not the solution, it is your only defense.
The Bible is not the solution, it is just your comfort.
Evolution is not the solution, it is the mechanism.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#128020 Apr 9, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. Atheist/agnostics are very good at debating with religious moderates and extremists.
Don't you mean "attempting to reason with" instead of "debating with"?
If someone wants to debate whether Fords are better than Chevys, there are rational and valid points on both sides, There can be religious discussion, but there simply is no such thing as a reasonable "religious debate." It's an oxymoron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anybody just want to chat about just whatever???) 10 min Edmund 32
Stanley Peace barber shop 19 min Floyd 21
Timmy Jordan 2 hr Idk 5
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Jan 4,421
A New Word Game~Four Words. (Jun '10) 4 hr Jan 264
Word game (Dec '10) 4 hr Jan 294
Remove Sherman Lawson from City Council ! 4 hr interesting 45
Shooting 7 hr Quantummist 8

Barbourville Jobs

Personal Finance