Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 141483 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#126835 Mar 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The religies think that I'm an atheist - which is the worst possible insult in their lexicon. shrug. There might be a "god" who "wrote" the laws of physics. Was there a guy called Yahweh who created Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, manufactured the stealth flood, doted on the Jews and let loose a devil to corrupt mankind? Guffaw! Sure there was...
I might presume you mean that rational people can't get "traction" when they present you with facts and figures - and that you are proud of it. Hardly what I would describe as "open mindedness" and pretty much eradicates any productive (and honest) discussion.
I too have been accused many times by the fundies in here of being an atheist. Even though I've not once laid claim to that particular standing.

Do I believe in any of the many gods, goddesses and assorted cosmic mega-beings that humans worship? Nope.

However, I'm not dumb enough to claim to all and sundry that I'm right in my beliefs and in fact, I fully accept I could be wrong and perhaps there is one or maybe more cosmic mega-beings who created our universe.

Even if that were to be the case it certainly doesn't automatically follow on that there is some other dimension to our existence where we can live out eternity.

Yet, if I'm wrong on that and there is a spiritual plane that we ascend to after we die, I refuse to believe that accessing it is dependent on choosing the correct myth from the many different fables that are out there.

So, to summarise:

No, I'm not an atheist but I'm probably about as close to one as it's possible to get without actually being one.
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126836 Mar 24, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a witty comeback and could only occur to someone who scratches his azz in order to stimulate his brain.
Don't forget , you Atheists are my Entertainment Center , you dance to my music,whether you like it or not...Now ,cluck like a chicken ,flap your arms and do " The Chicken Walk"
I'm curious about people and their attitudes toward religion, pro and con, in this very technological age. Is that why you used "curious" spelled backwards for your post name?

Nottingham, UK

#126837 Mar 24, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a witty comeback and could only occur to someone who scratches his azz in order to stimulate his brain.
Don't forget , you Atheists are my Entertainment Center , you dance to my music,whether you like it or not...Now ,cluck like a chicken ,flap your arms and do " The Chicken Walk"
Music?

Right now I'm listening to Black Sabbath's first album.

I'm sure you remember it. It was released in 1970 and came in a gatefold sleeve with a picture of a woman standing in front of a woodland cottage.

She looks like a witch. You would probably have had her killed if you were living four centuries ago.

Still, it's a great cover - very atmospheric.

You probably wouldn't like the inverted cross on the inside cover.
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126838 Mar 24, 2014
Recently, American/Australian scientists discovered how to manipulate the genetic structure of a mouse. This is remarkable, the mouse was well advanced in age, mouse-wise, the scientists were able to reverse the ageing process in the mouse. They made the mouse, young again. They were quoted as saying, that although mice aren't as complex as humans, they believed that the process could one day be applied successfully to humans. There are several questions of morality that spring to mind here, how this would affect the human race, and theology.

Nottingham, UK

#126839 Mar 24, 2014
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Did quoting the Bible make you happy? What was your emotional state when you were quoting the Bible? I want to know how the Bible makes you feel when you read it,Khatru.
Depends what I'm reading and what the particular passage says. That applies to any book.

Although in this case it wasn't a question of emotions, rather a simple refutation (using the bible) of another post.

Yet you appear to find the quotes I cited unhappy. Perhaps it's because they aren't particularly favourable to women.

Any chance of you answering the questions I asked of you?
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126840 Mar 24, 2014
I am new to this forum. I will try not to call someone a term they deem inaccurate, such as "Christian", or" atheist ".
Suoiruc

Ocoee, FL

#126841 Mar 24, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. No one knows the exact processes by which life arose. I am honest and maintain that position. You accept an explanation made up by primitive Bronze Age men who thought the world was flat.
<quoted text>
What's the problem? If you show me a large jar of jelly beans and ask me how many are in there, I don't have to know the exact number to know that "0" is wrong.
We know that Christianity is wrong beyond any reasonable doubt.
<quoted text>
There's no evidence that any god is responsible.
Well ,At least you took my advice and concocted some new futile excuses.
If you don't know what or whom caused life to come into existence , it is illogical to also claim to know it wasn't God.
Then you try to defend your position by posting a lie. " That I accept an explanation made up by primitive bronze age men" you well know that is a lie as I have never made that claim.
Now you want me to start counting jelly beans and some other nonsense that you introduce,which is not relevant to the subject.
Then ,in order to defend the untenable position your faith has placed you in , you make the fraudulent claim that"We know that Christianity is wrong beyond any reasonable doubt."
Your faith has left you no other alternative , in order to defend it , you must resort to using misleading and deceptive practices, That is what a court would deem to be fraudulent.
You Atheists ,with your denials and misrepresentations ,due to your unbelief , have painted
an accurate assesment of the nature of your faith and it's nonfoundation
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126842 Mar 24, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting that you judge the tone of my post as being unhappy when all I was doing was quoting the Bible.
Did it cross your mind that the reason I never mentioned Islam was because I was responding to a Christian who was citing her god, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Bible?
You really shouldn't be so presumptuous.
Rest assured that I don't discriminate in my disdain for the less favourable treatment dished out to women; whether it be in accordance with biblical scriptures or koranic surahs, or indeed any other religion/philosophy/ideology.
I'd like to ask you a question:
If you disagreed with what I said then why not refute me? Why drag other religions into it when they're just as bad and in some case worse than Christianity?
I'm not disagreeing, or agreeing with your recital of Biblical quotes. I was curious about how you felt about one religion, compared to another. I don't know what it is like to be a woman, but, having said that, it would seem to me to be, that there is anger in you, regarding what the Bible says about women. Perhaps I'm merely projecting?

Nottingham, UK

#126843 Mar 24, 2014
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm curious about people and their attitudes toward religion, pro and con, in this very technological age. Is that why you used "curious" spelled backwards for your post name?
If someone wants to believe in one or more cosmic mega-beings it's no business of mine.

I don't care if they nail a dead chicken to their bedpost and dance round it naked while howling at the moon if it gives their life meaning and purpose.

However, when they want to mandate their version of the creation story in place of science, when they want their prayers, commandments, surahs, etc supported by the government, when they want to enshrine their religious prejudices as law for all, then I have a problem.
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126844 Mar 24, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends what I'm reading and what the particular passage says. That applies to any book.
Although in this case it wasn't a question of emotions, rather a simple refutation (using the bible) of another post.
Yet you appear to find the quotes I cited unhappy. Perhaps it's because they aren't particularly favourable to women.
Any chance of you answering the questions I asked of you?
I will ask any questions you ask, to the best of my ability.
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126845 Mar 24, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone wants to believe in one or more cosmic mega-beings it's no business of mine.
I don't care if they nail a dead chicken to their bedpost and dance round it naked while howling at the moon if it gives their life meaning and purpose.
However, when they want to mandate their version of the creation story in place of science, when they want their prayers, commandments, surahs, etc supported by the government, when they want to enshrine their religious prejudices as law for all, then I have a problem.
That's funny, made me laugh.(No sarcasm).
Suoiruc

Ocoee, FL

#126846 Mar 24, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Music?
Right now I'm listening to Black Sabbath's first album.
I'm sure you remember it. It was released in 1970 and came in a gatefold sleeve with a picture of a woman standing in front of a woodland cottage.
She looks like a witch. You would probably have had her killed if you were living four centuries ago.
Still, it's a great cover - very atmospheric.
You probably wouldn't like the inverted cross on the inside cover.
Not surprising , Atheists have a strange desire to torture and inflict punishment on themselves.
if the picture looks like a Witch , check Witchettys famili photo album.
The inverted cross that you are looking at is probably what is causing your dyspepsia, depression , mental anguish and other maladies that are afflicting you, as evidenced by your postings.
That the cross is inverted ,as you claim,has no adverse effect on me.
The Cross seems to only have an adverse effect on Atheists and vampires . I am neither.
As the atheist stated,
The death of my close friend has caused me to be afflicted by Dyspepsia= Gav is con.
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126847 Mar 24, 2014
People are important. If someone wants to believe that Science is the Alpha and the Omega, if that's what they think, why disabuse them? I can only walk in my own shoes.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#126848 Mar 24, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
If you don't know what or whom caused life to come into existence , it is illogical to also claim to know it wasn't God.
Reason isn't your strong suit, is it? You can remove wrong answers without knowing the right answer.

Christianity is, beyond a reasonable doubt, false. It is therefore reasonable to dismiss the Christian god as the cause of life on Earth.
Suoiruc wrote:
Then you try to defend your position by posting a lie. " That I accept an explanation made up by primitive bronze age men" you well know that is a lie as I have never made that claim.
There's no lie. You are a Christian. Your belief that the Christian god create life stems from Genesis, which was written by primitive men who thought the Earth was flat.
Suoiruc wrote:
Now you want me to start counting jelly beans and some other nonsense that you introduce,which is not relevant to the subject.
The fact that you cannot process simple analogies demonstrates your low intelligence.

Nottingham, UK

#126849 Mar 24, 2014
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not disagreeing, or agreeing with your recital of Biblical quotes. I was curious about how you felt about one religion, compared to another. I don't know what it is like to be a woman, but, having said that, it would seem to me to be, that there is anger in you, regarding what the Bible says about women. Perhaps I'm merely projecting?
Ah well, I'm fully aware that the prevailing zeitgeist of those far off days was that women were inferior to men. Yet that just shows to me that the bible and other holy books are the work of men and not one or more cosmic mega-beings.

Anger?

Maybe, but it's not what the Bible says that makes me angry. Like I say, that's of its time and is only to be expected given the savagery that existed in those days. I guess my anger to what the Bible says about women is perhaps similar to the anger a 21st century person may feel when thinking about slavery.

Any anger is also directed to those people who abandon the science, reason and logic of the 21st century and try to impose a medieval style of thinking steeped in superstition onto our reality.
Suoiruc

Ocoee, FL

#126850 Mar 24, 2014
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm curious about people and their attitudes toward religion, pro and con, in this very technological age. Is that why you used "curious" spelled backwards for your post name?
No , However,it is along story and I will try to be brief. These Atheists ,intotal maybe 2 or 3.
However they change monikers in order to appear to be more numerous.
Their tactics gave them away.
You would see different monikers within a 5 minute period posting nonsense.
I tracked this for awhile and Either these " individuals" either happened to be tuned in to topix at the same time,day after day ,or they were sneaking into the phone booth and making like Clark kent. It was obvious. So I outed them , for laughs and in the process they went ballistic in their denials.
Problem is that , one known as SP had previously confessed to having used 6 different monikers , Anther one that went to the confessional box was known as Skeptical Spektakles.
Anyhow ,in order to deviate from the subject they started acccusing me of uaing the same tactics...
To me,it's all irrelevant ,I just like to get on em.. I have never admitted or denied their allegations because to me they are nonsencical and not worth spending my time on.
However , I posted as curious spelled backwards to see their reaction .
Itwas quite evident that it was me as my location is well known.
Finally , after about 1 montth ,someone finally caught on that it was curious.
Anyhow , I had a lot of fun with it.
After this long explanation , you are probably sorry you asked , BUT , I had to provide you with all the sordid details
BTW I am the ONE that has claimed that Chroe is an Atheist,despite his denials.
Noe we have Pre K claiming he is not an atheist ,but , that he is as close to being an atheist without being one Yikessssssssssssssss
That is like a woman saying she is not pregnant , but is very close to being pregnant.
What logic,what imagination What nonsense,,,,,,,,,,
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126851 Mar 24, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah well, I'm fully aware that the prevailing zeitgeist of those far off days was that women were inferior to men. Yet that just shows to me that the bible and other holy books are the work of men and not one or more cosmic mega-beings.
Anger?
Maybe, but it's not what the Bible says that makes me angry. Like I say, that's of its time and is only to be expected given the savagery that existed in those days. I guess my anger to what the Bible says about women is perhaps similar to the anger a 21st century person may feel when thinking about slavery.
Any anger is also directed to those people who abandon the science, reason and logic of the 21st century and try to impose a medieval style of thinking steeped in superstition onto our reality.
You mentioned the "savagery of those days", which made me think, of the savagery of the present. I'll tell you a true thing. Women live longer than men, but the systematic mistreatment of women is so pervasive in the world that I'm glad I'm not a woman. My poor wife, who is quite attractive, thinks she can't come out of the house without two hours of preparation. Looks like a cynical attempt to make women think that they need hundreds of dollars of products to be presentable. In most movies, the female roles are laughable. Whole thing is sad.

Nottingham, UK

#126852 Mar 24, 2014
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-267...

108 people missing after US mudslide.

Sadly, there will be many believers who put this down to their god's anger.

I wonder what Jehovah is raging at this time?
Waco 1909

Lenoir, NC

#126853 Mar 24, 2014
When people ask me about my beliefs, I tell them. The non-believers always look at me as though I have the intelligence of a Cocker Spaniel, and shake their heads sadly. I shrug my shoulders, and keep on keeping on, I can't change others, that's not my "job", anyway, so I try to maintain my own equilibrium.
Suoiruc

Ocoee, FL

#126854 Mar 24, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Reason isn't your strong suit, is it? You can remove wrong answers without knowing the right answer.
Christianity is, beyond a reasonable doubt, false. It is therefore reasonable to dismiss the Christian god as the cause of life on Earth.
<quoted text>
There's no lie. You are a Christian. Your belief that the Christian god create life stems from Genesis, which was written by primitive men who thought the Earth was flat.
<quoted text>
The fact that you cannot process simple analogies demonstrates your low intelligence.
Let me make it short and brief The fact that your excuses are confusing ,confounding and convoluted demonstrates your nonintelligencer.
Now , Jump when I tell ya ,and ask me how high..........
Now, go back to counting your jelly beans and don't eat them,cause if you lose count and have to start again , you'll have to xray your stomach to see how many are in there......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for blacksmith equipment 6 min dirty Harry 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 52 min cold warrior 685
The Oven Mitt 2 hr Question 29
sabrina corey 2 hr Con 17
Tina and Luke 3 hr Concerned 13
Can someone tell me about mark hobbs? 3 hr ohcomeon 2
Hillbilly cruisers 4 hr Lol 11
Jason Marsee shot Ford Collett 6 hr Hmm 46
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search