Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 153905 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#126358 Mar 16, 2014
cat woman wrote:
our government should change with times..........due to all crimes in area..........they should pass a law that states all people must go to church on sunday
Along with a psych evaluation law that's mandatory for all that make our laws.
Buff..........

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#126359 Mar 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>It is nice to see you acknowledge the science of the day as real. Sadly you still insert god into any gaps of science.
I wonder what you would say if science soon learned how life began and it was as natural as rain? I have no doubt you would move the goal post. That game has been played for centuries and it can easily go one forever. There will always be questions left unanswered.
btw, I would not say all theories have been an abject failure. Some theories are still open to being falsified. Some have even produced RNA which could form DNA.
So to claim the theories are abject failures is a false claim.
To make false claims is all the Troll "bi-curious" does.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#126360 Mar 16, 2014
Apostle Amber wrote:
If you are a Christian then naturally you can give up everything. But Can you as a non believer do this?
When Jesus heard this, he said to him,“You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said,“How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!(Luke)
Read more: http://moneyhelpforchristians.com/70-new-test...
The question is nonsensical. It is not smart to give up all. The power of your wealth can be used to give more for a longer time overall. Just look at atheist Bill Gates for example. He gave up half his wealth to charity which was several billions of dollars, and keep enough to invest and make more, thus allowing him to give more in the future.

It is clear to me Jesus felt the end times was going to be in the lifetimes of the people alive that day. In fact he said as much. It was a failed prophesy. But the point is, he thought there was no future to invest in. He was dead wrong about that.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126361 Mar 16, 2014
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
It said,
"they should pass a law that states all people must go to church on sunday".
Good old absolution by torture comes next.
Then a holy war over which day is the actual Sabbath.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126362 Mar 16, 2014
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Signed in the Year of our Lord!
Go figure!
I certainly would not expect the founders to change the calendar.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126363 Mar 16, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
Along with a psych evaluation law that's mandatory for all that make our laws.
Buff..........
So you approve of force by government for religion? Wow.
And this is a major reason I protest religion. You have no idea what this country and its laws are based upon. You do not understand freedom, nor respect it.
I am not referring to the psych evaluations, but your implied agreement of force to be used for all citizens to go to church on Sundays.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126365 Mar 16, 2014
cat woman wrote:
our government should change with times..........due to all crimes in area..........they should pass a law that states all people must go to church on sunday
Our government did change with the times. It changed the act of force to be used by government to promote religion. The enlightenment helped here. Back in more barbaric and primitive times, government did what you wish for. It causes more problems than it solves. Learn from history.

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#126366 Mar 16, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution and science may be able to explain that which is alive ,for which it has been programmed by it's designer.
What they are totally unable to explain is how life was created in any of the species.
That is the very relevant question that they are quite incapable of answering.
They have theories which they have tested ,all ended in abject failure.
That which comes into being by Supernatutal means can not be explained by natural means.
Goddidit is the answer,which,they refuse to acknowledge
You don't know what God is either . When I asked you a month ago, you gave me a generalized rehearsed one sentence answer . In the next post you proceed to go on with paragraphs of hate and useless "knowledge " of atheism .

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126367 Mar 16, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Er....no, they weren't all Catholic.
You're right on one point though - you're no history buff.
That's OK because I don't know zilch about "Living with the Kardashians"
I am ashamed of the average Americans knowledge of history. And yes, the average American probably knows more about the Kardashian's than basic history.

It is clear to read here, many do not even know why the pilgrims came to the Americas. They have no understanding of religious freedom and how it comes to be.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126368 Mar 16, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
They wanted to get away from religious persecution so off they went to the New World to impose their own religious persecution on others.
Probably why many of their decedents have still not learned the solution (separation of church and state).

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#126369 Mar 16, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
LOL You well know that the reason I posted that information was to rattle your cage.
Johnny Horton really gave you "A Mess of Blues"
Really, you were just trying to stir things up?
Why shouldn't I believe that's your MO through all of your posts?
Suoiruc wrote:
Let us get back to the real topic which you now seek to avoid , due either to your ignorance of the facts or that you are still in a state of denial or both.
I have posted studies that indicate the maladies afflicting Atheists,which are caused by their unbelief.
You , Lodi , Box , Chroe , Duket and Spaceship have intentionally and erroneously claimed those studied to be invalid.
I posted an article by Staks Rosch , Atheist leader, where he made the same claims.
Again , your group attempted to discredit his article and made disparaging remarks about his leadership role.
Now , Atheists have confirmed these maladies that afflict them ,based on their unbelief.
Their admission is attached to alegal document , the lawsuit they filed.
When Sista and I posted this information, you ALL claimed it was false , that said information had been manufactured.
After the preponderance of the evidence could not be denied , even by irrational means.
You all have sought to avoid that Topic At All Costs.
Thereby proving ,beyond a shadow of a doubt , your incompetence , ignorance and futile attempts to hide the truth......
Deal with that..........or not..........
Show me the medical evidence or stop trolling.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126370 Mar 16, 2014
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>I said " end of communication" as I do not want to respond to you any further, but I have to say this...
Ted, like you had a bad foundation, and a flawed conversion!
I know a true conversion is being born again... you, and he was not!
Jesus saved me from those "UN-Natural" desires, I have been born again!
I pray the same for you, Ted, and everyone on earth!
Now... you can, and un-doubtiedly will continue posting to me, but
I find posting to you a futile effort... Only Jesus can fix your ignorance!
Good day, and may the Lord have mercy on you!
Well I knew you would not uphold your word and end communication. You word means nothing. You have no real idea what is important about keeping your word.

And I am not surprised of your excuse for fellow Christian leader, Ted Haggard. Evidently one must be raised like yourself or things do not go as god wants.

Cambridge, UK

#126371 Mar 16, 2014
Suoiruc wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution and science may be able to explain that which is alive ,for which it has been programmed by it's designer.
What they are totally unable to explain is how life was created in any of the species.
That is the very relevant question that they are quite incapable of answering.
They have theories which they have tested ,all ended in abject failure.
That which comes into being by Supernatutal means can not be explained by natural means.
Goddidit is the answer,which,they refuse to acknowledge
That's because there is no such thing as supernatural.

"Supernatural" is a word that fits your purpose because it allows you to make up whatever nonsense you like and call it true because no one can disprove it. In effect, you give your imagination a green light to come up with whatever god you wish and because its "supernatural" it doesn't have to obey the laws of the natural world.

Yet after being fast and loose with the definition of your deity and his/hers/its supernatural existence, you then dictate rigid rules about what the truth is in the natural world.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#126372 Mar 16, 2014
cat woman wrote:
im no hx buff, so see you all
have a vary good evening,.........reading the bible or not..........enjoy your debates
We are discussing basic historical things. You need not be a history buff to know the basics.
Maybe read the bible a bit less and learn basic history.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#126373 Mar 16, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
OK so you made it up....at least the Separation of Church and State part.
You are familiar with the structure of the Roman Catholic Church prior to the settling of America? The Roman Empire and the Church were united as branches of Government, If you were not Catholic you were a second or third class citizen. That is the context of the Second Amendment. The founding fathers wanted the State to not create an official Church which is why the entire argument of not allowing Bible study in public school is completely bogus.
First and foremost the Constitution has Amendments and there are Articles..........
You need to learn the Difference!

Cambridge, UK

#126374 Mar 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The question is nonsensical. It is not smart to give up all. The power of your wealth can be used to give more for a longer time overall. Just look at atheist Bill Gates for example. He gave up half his wealth to charity which was several billions of dollars, and keep enough to invest and make more, thus allowing him to give more in the future.
It is clear to me Jesus felt the end times was going to be in the lifetimes of the people alive that day. In fact he said as much. It was a failed prophesy. But the point is, he thought there was no future to invest in. He was dead wrong about that.
The god of the NT goes as far as killing people who refuse to give their wealth to the church.

Looks like defying the christian collective under God was just as lethal as defying the communist collective under Stalin.

Cambridge, UK

#126375 Mar 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you approve of force by government for religion? Wow.
And this is a major reason I protest religion. You have no idea what this country and its laws are based upon. You do not understand freedom, nor respect it.
I am not referring to the psych evaluations, but your implied agreement of force to be used for all citizens to go to church on Sundays.
Back in the puritanical days of Charles I and Cromwell it was a crime not to attend church.

Can you believe that?

It was called recusancy.

Some years back I came across this from the Middlesex Rolls and it made me smile.

==========

6 December, 1 Charles I.—Memorandum of the presentment for recusancy and of the insolence of one Richard Beake of Kentishtowne who (on being duly and lawfully summoned by John Corey, one of the bailiffs of the Sheriff of Middlesex, to appeare at this session at Hickes Hall) answered to the same John Corey "that he cared not a f .... for the Justices, and that he had not been at church for tenn yeares, nor wold goe to churche for all the Justices could doe, adding further, Lett the Justices kisse his A ...." S. P. Reg.

From the Middlesex Rolls (1625)

==========

If Richard Beake were alive today I'd love to buy him a drink!

Cambridge, UK

#126376 Mar 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am ashamed of the average Americans knowledge of history. And yes, the average American probably knows more about the Kardashian's than basic history.
It is clear to read here, many do not even know why the pilgrims came to the Americas. They have no understanding of religious freedom and how it comes to be.
Hey Mike

It's the same over here.

Tonight we get treated to Neil deGrasse Tyson's remake of Carl Sagan's classic "Cosmos" and I can't wait to see it.

Most people I've mentioned it to haven't a clue about this but they know all about Paris Hilton.

Sad.

Looks like Carl Sagan got it right....

"The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”
ABCD

Frankfort, KY

#126377 Mar 16, 2014
I think it's time to close this thread. Enough is enough...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#126378 Mar 16, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
OK so you made it up....at least the Separation of Church and State part.
You are familiar with the structure of the Roman Catholic Church prior to the settling of America? The Roman Empire and the Church were united as branches of Government, If you were not Catholic you were a second or third class citizen. That is the context of the Second Amendment. The founding fathers wanted the State to not create an official Church which is why the entire argument of not allowing Bible study in public school is completely bogus.
So, you have no qualms about bearing false witness against neighbors "for Jesus". Why am I not surprised?
I specified that I did >not< say the constitution states verbatim "separation of church and state" and I provided the quote where Jefferson >did< write "...wall of separation between church and state" in his 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptist Association.

So you feel the argument against CHRISTIAN Bible study in public schools is bogus? Do you hold exactly the same consideration regarding ISLAMIC Koran study?
I'm on record for stating that I am not at odds with the Bible being referenced in secondary school studies of western European humanities and history, as long as it does not cross a clearly placed boundary of religious study - and I >do< hold the Koran to exactly the same consideration.

How are you coming with that OT "Noah was mocked" verse, Bubba?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Boone 2016 12 min Captain Skull 14
Why is Topix so Dead anymore? 15 min Captain Skull 1
Pizza Hut/Barbourville 33 min former female emp... 25
Does anyone practice White Magic? 3 hr Captain Skull 6
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 3 hr Baker 103
Timmy pork Jordan and Shannon 3 hr Keep it on 10
Test scores 7 hr wow 10

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance