Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156592 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Truth

Chesapeake, VA

#124706 Feb 20, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
If I go to Hell it's because your god wants it?
If you go to HELL it will be because of YOU! You were warned today by" ME" I told you how to avoid HELL! God will remind you of this day on judgment day, so it isn't to late to change while you are still breathing. John 3:16.. You are not kidding me.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#124707 Feb 20, 2014
Curious wrote:
Logic 001. at most mental institutions
Did you learn that when you were there being treated for delusions and hallucinations?

Location hidden

#124708 Feb 20, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>If you go to HELL it will be because of YOU! You were warned today by" ME" I told you how to avoid HELL!
All you did was present an imaginary threat.

I could tell you that you need to wear a tin-foil hat to avoid the alien mind control rays too.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124709 Feb 20, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you learn that when you were there being treated for delusions and hallucinations?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa, I learned that while waiting for the head shrink to issue you a 1 hour pass so you could go to walmart and buy yourself a new rubber ducky to play with.
Added a new chapter to your sex life..........LOL
YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124710 Feb 20, 2014
Look Who's Irrational Now
Read it and LAUGH
By MOLLIE ZIEGLER HEMINGWAY
Updated Sept. 19, 2008 12:01 a.m. ET
The reality is that the New Atheist campaign, by discouraging religion, won't create a new group of intelligent, skeptical, enlightened beings. Far from it: It might actually encourage new levels of mass superstition. And that's not a conclusion to take on faith -- it's what the empirical data tell us.
"What Americans Really Believe," a comprehensive new study released by Baylor University yesterday, shows that traditional Christian religion greatly decreases belief in everything from the efficacy of palm readers to the usefulness of astrology. It also shows that the irreligious and the members of more liberal Protestant denominations, far from being resistant to superstition, tend to be much more likely to believe in the paranormal and in pseudoscience than evangelical Christians.
Corbis
The Gallup Organization, under contract to Baylor's Institute for Studies of Religion, asked American adults a series of questions to gauge credulity. Do dreams foretell the future? Did ancient advanced civilizations such as Atlantis exist? Can places be haunted? Is it possible to communicate with the dead? Will creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster someday be discovered by science?
The answers were added up to create an index of belief in occult and the paranormal. While 31% of people who never worship expressed strong belief in these things, only 8% of people who attend a house of worship more than once a week did.
This is not a new finding. In his 1983 book "The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener," skeptic and science writer Martin Gardner cited the decline of traditional religious belief among the better educated as one of the causes for an increase in pseudoscience, cults and superstition. He referenced a 1980 study published in the magazine Skeptical Inquirer that showed irreligious college students to be by far the most likely to embrace paranormal beliefs, while born-again Christian college students were the least likely.
Surprisingly, while increased church attendance and membership in a conservative denomination has a powerful negative effect on paranormal beliefs, higher education doesn't. Two years ago two professors published another study in Skeptical Inquirer showing that, while less than one-quarter of college freshmen surveyed expressed a general belief in such superstitions as ghosts, psychic healing, haunted houses, demonic possession, clairvoyance and witches, the figure jumped to 31% of college seniors and 34% of graduate students.
We can't even count on self-described atheists to be strict rationalists. According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life's monumental "U.S. Religious Landscape Survey" that was issued in June, 21% of self-proclaimed atheists believe in either a personal God or an impersonal force. Ten percent of atheists pray at least weekly and 12% believe in heaven.
On Oct. 3, Mr. Maher debuts "Religulous," his documentary that attacks religious belief. He talks to Hasidic scholars, Jews for Jesus, Muslims, polygamists, Satanists, creationists, and even Rael -- prophet of the Raelians -- before telling viewers: "The plain fact is religion must die for man to live."
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124711 Feb 20, 2014
But it turns out that the late-night comic is no icon of rationality himself. In fact, he is a fervent advocate of pseudoscience. The night before his performance on Conan O'Brien, Mr. Maher told David Letterman -- a quintuple bypass survivor -- to stop taking the pills that his doctor had prescribed for him. He proudly stated that he didn't accept Western medicine. On his HBO show in 2005, Mr. Maher said: "I don't believe in vaccination.... Another theory that I think is flawed, that we go by the Louis Pasteur [germ] theory." He has told CNN's Larry King that he won't take aspirin because he believes it is lethal and that he doesn't even believe the Salk vaccine eradicated polio.
Anti-religionists such as Mr. Maher bring to mind the assertion of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown character that all atheists, secularists, humanists and rationalists are susceptible to superstition: "It's the first effect of not believing in God that you lose your common sense, and can't see things as they are."
AS ONE CAN SEE ,THE DOOR TO THE ATHEIST MIND IS COMING UNHINGED
THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT ESTABLISHED A church in londonwith the intent of worshipping that which they do not believe.
Now the London churcg and the NYC church are at EACH OTHERS THROAT as to whom believes in God less.
Yikessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssss
lunacy is rampant in the land of fools
Killing Monsters

Mckee, KY

#124712 Feb 20, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text> You may have read the Bible, but you have not studied the words nor have you put much thought to its content! Your post are hallow, written with no intelligence at all about the of the Bible. You should know that the Bible is the inspired word of God if you had studied it.
My comments are completely accurate about the hallow, shallow, and totally vacant when it comes to presenting any information at all about the real world ancient Hebraic collection of Mesopotamian folktales called the "Holey Bible."

I made "A"s in my Old and New Testament courses at Eastern Kentucky University. What about you?

Location hidden

#124713 Feb 20, 2014
Curious wrote:
The answers were added up to create an index of belief in occult and the paranormal. While 31% of people who never worship expressed strong belief in these things, only 8% of people who attend a house of worship more than once a week did.
So, 31% of the irreligious people believed in silly things, while 100% of the religious people believed in silly things.

I'd say the former is better.

No disagreement on Bill Maher being a quack though.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124714 Feb 20, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't confuse prideful with dignity, just as I don't confuse vagina with urethra or religion with knowledge.
So you place the blame on being prideful for that which prevents you from admitting ignorance and hypocrisy then, Sista. Isn't honesty refreshing?
Let me know when you can be honest, and admit your own hypocrisy, your confusion w pridefulness vs dignity, and your confusion w any sort of body part as being a "religion", rather than just more mere pitchforking at others differences of opinions and beliefs, because there's NOTHING dignified about attacking OTHERS dignity, especially just to try gain some at the expense of OTHERS.

THEN I will let you know about honesty being refreshing.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124715 Feb 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well that does not even make sense. Are you telling me they had no word that differentiated a globe from a circle?
It made sense.

What doesn't make sense, is why you feel the need to discredit others, just for communicating nicely.

Couldn't you have just said "Are you saying that they had no word to differenetiate a globe from a circle"? And by the way, who is "they"?

Why is that Duquette? You and Chromolio and other atheists types seem to thrive on that negative,prideful type of thing.

Is there some specific for such rudeness? Does it make your little atheist egos feel better?

Just wondering about that (actual ) NONsensical NONsense.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124716 Feb 20, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It can be stated with confidence that you have displayed little by way of truth, value or trustworthiness in your own posts - are ye of little faith, then?
You can't hide or dismiss your use of the word as you've used it in context.. as per freedictionary definitions
4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
and
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
Or as the Oxford dictionary puts it:
Faith: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
There is no "atheist faith", but atheists can believe in truth, value and trustworthiness of a person, idea or thing. These traits do not go hand in hand with religion or its practice - and specifically not yours.
Faith-

faith

confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.

----------
How ironic you should mention "honesty", but not give a metnion to ETHICS, MERIT etc.

Rather "duplicitous" of you Chromolio....
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124717 Feb 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Many people who study the bible do not believe it is the inspired word of god. Famous biblical scholars do not believe the bible is the inspired word of god.
So that logic fails.
Regardless, there are many words of WISDOM, that can be found with in it.

And actual WISDOM, when applied towards GOOD- is not bad.

NO matter how much you might try to DISTORT such.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124718 Feb 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>He wasn't responding to the bible, he was responding to a person and his claims. Are you now saying the persons claims should are metaphors?
What?

Seriously- the persons claims should are...?

Please clarify what it is you are trying to ask.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124719 Feb 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>We do not fill the gaps of knowledge until it is known, correct. It is the difference between us and theists. You insert religious beliefs into gaps of knowledge. And the strange part is, you feel this makes sense to do.
No, you just run around belittling and being nasty to others for having gaps filled with different beliefs, which then ust makes you appear as nasty malcontents.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124720 Feb 20, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put.
In the meantime, I see Atheists are fighting and killing each other again over who doesn't believe in which god the least.
Ah, sorry - my mistake - that never happens.
WRONG..and you are about to see hard cold FACTs of justt HOW WRONG that statement was, as well as CURRENT, PROOF of a great example of "atheism" in action.

UKRAINE

As in-
http://news.msn.com/world/ukraine-team-member...

UKRAINE-
Religions > All
Ukrainian Orthodox - Kiev Patriarchate 19%,
Orthodox (no particular jurisdiction) 16%,
Ukrainian Orthodox - Moscow Patriarchate 9%,
Ukrainian Greek Catholic 6%,
Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox 1.7%,

Protestant, Jewish, none 38%(2004 est.)
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124721 Feb 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If you are debating a book that billions believe is the word of god VERBATIM, why not? Now you do not believe the bible is the word of god, or at least maybe the words were screwed around with.
But if you are defending the verbatim team, then saying we should not show the insanity of believing it verbatim makes no sense.
Now if god handed down some story about creation, do you really thing doing so in a metaphor is appropriate? Don't you think he would have know the debate today about it? You would think he would realize the long term implications of doubting his being.
Maybe that's why COMMON SENSE, should be a requirement before even reading it.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#124722 Feb 20, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
So, 31% of the irreligious people believed in silly things, while 100% of the religious people believed in silly things.
I'd say the former is better.
No disagreement on Bill Maher being a quack though.
You omitted all the relevant parts.....Let us do this again and do it honestly
The Gallup Organization, under contract to Baylor's Institute for Studies of Religion, asked American adults a series of questions to gauge credulity.
Do dreams foretell the future?
Did ancient advanced civilizations such as Atlantis exist?
Can places be haunted?
Is it possible to communicate with the dead?
Will creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster someday be discovered by science?

We can't even count on self-described atheists to be strict rationalists. According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life's monumental "U.S. Religious Landscape Survey" that was issued in June, 21% of self-proclaimed atheists believe in either a personal God or an impersonal force. Ten percent of atheists pray at least weekly and 12% believe in heaven.

spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#124723 Feb 20, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>If you go to HELL it will be because of YOU! You were warned today by" ME" I told you how to avoid HELL! God will remind you of this day on judgment day, so it isn't to late to change while you are still breathing. John 3:16.. You are not kidding me.
No one can avoid the grave. Can you show proof that you can avoid death? Of course you cannot.

You have shaken your scary stick with a chicken nailed to it. Your job is done here unless you have been given a dozen or more scary chicken sticks to to shake at us. Continue mumbling to the ceiling if it helps calm your fears of hell fire or stick around if you choose and find that your faith was only based on mythology.

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124724 Feb 20, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
His defense is that he's clearly paranoid and hatefully delusional, your defense is rational sanity and I simply don't think that >real< evidence should require a defense at all. Unlike Bible thumping, it does not require witnessing, testamenials, or a deliberately and persistently practiced suspension of disbelief. Of course, in his mind that probably translates to some nonsense such as I hate God, I'm miserable or I'm misquoting the Holy scriptures - but as I said, he's hatefully delusional. What can you do with that - try to make a silk purse?
And in the meantime... snip...Refreshing in MY BOOK of life is-

balance
&#8194; Use Balance in a sentence
balĀ·ance
[bal-uhns] Show IPA
noun
a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.

AND

rest
&#8194; Use Rest in a sentence
rest
1 [rest] Show IPA
noun
the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.

And ALL people are ENTITLED to such, because it's HUMANE.
Got it?
(I HOPE so.)
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#124725 Feb 20, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can avoid the grave. Can you show proof that you can avoid death? Of course you cannot.
You have shaken your scary stick with a chicken nailed to it. Your job is done here unless you have been given a dozen or more scary chicken sticks to to shake at us. Continue mumbling to the ceiling if it helps calm your fears of hell fire or stick around if you choose and find that your faith was only based on mythology.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
carlot 2 hr wondering 1
Grace way metals 3 hr Smh 2
C&J auto sales (Jul '09) 5 hr leary 15
DonRick Blevins? 7 hr wondering 2
Listen up people 7 hr crazy talk 3
How is Godfathers Pizza at Shell ? 8 hr Titty Sprinkles 11
Just curious Old Datsun 280Z 8 hr Santa 6

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance