Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,126

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#122870 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I dictate my own life. I am not afiliated with anyone or anything but myself! now if there's some part of that you don't understand, you might should read it again..
That is untrue. You are bound to the terms of your environment and the choices you make to accommodate yourself to them. At issue to this thread is to what extent you are disposed to setting terms for other people to make your same personal choices. Personally, I'm opposed to indoctrinating children to think mythology is reality.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#122871 Feb 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why can't you simply type "hell"? Don't tell me you think that the Heavenly Communications Commision will levy a fine on your immortal soul?
(I was going to say that we're all adults here, but then I recall several puerile religie posts than might contradict that assumption.)
Does my spelling of hell bother you so?

Location hidden

#122872 Feb 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That is untrue. You are bound to the terms of your environment and the choices you make to accommodate yourself to them. At issue to this thread is to what extent you are disposed to setting terms for other people to make your same personal choices. Personally, I'm opposed to indoctrinating children to think mythology is reality.
My choice, My life. Same as with other people, Their choice, Their life.. I look at the teachings of the man Jesus, not of mythological beings...

Location hidden

#122873 Feb 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think either teach intelligent design and Darwinism, or teach neither.. Teaching one or the other leaves no option, and as an adult, surly you know, one must have a way out?
SevenTee

Williamsburg, OH

#122874 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I think either teach intelligent design and Darwinism, or teach neither.. Teaching one or the other leaves no option, and as an adult, surly you know, one must have a way out?
A word of caution. These heathens and pagans on this page are incredibly ignorant to the truth. They get some kind of cheap thrill out of making up lies and half truths. I am sure you know where they get their tricks.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#122875 Feb 2, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it amusing that these people who enjoy a democratic society think they would be so happy living under the rule of a KING.
They must not understand what that truly means.
It's like living in the enlightenment of the Rennaissance and wanting to go back to the Dark Ages.
Silly people.
Absolutely - they are fooling themselves.

Nottingham, UK

#122876 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> He11 wasn't built, it was created! Not for man, but for Satan and his band of outlaw Angels!
Created by G0cl?

Location hidden

#122877 Feb 2, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
A word of caution. These heathens and pagans on this page are incredibly ignorant to the truth. They get some kind of cheap thrill out of making up lies and half truths. I am sure you know where they get their tricks.
Duly noted and filed..

Location hidden

#122879 Feb 2, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Created by G0cl?
Only you can answer that for your self..

“See how you are?”

Earth

#122880 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Does my spelling of hell bother you so?
You can spell it in any way which delights you, I just find the tradition of avoiding the word (and others) as something akin to not spilling salt or avoiding black cats.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#122881 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> My choice, My life. Same as with other people, Their choice, Their life.. I look at the teachings of the man Jesus, not of mythological beings...
The man Jesus and the mythical being Jesus have become inseparable. That is the only "intelligent design" apparent in "Christian science." There is no reason whatsoever to teach baseless mythology alongside actual science.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#122882 Feb 2, 2014
Killing the Canaanites: A Response to the New Atheism’s “Divine Genocide” Claims
Article ID: JAF3334 | By: Clay Jones
http://www.equip.org/christian-research-journ...
SYNOPSIS
The “new atheists” call God’s commands to kill the Canaanites “genocide,” but a closer look at the horror of the Canaanites’ sinfulness, exhibited in rampant idolatry, incest, adultery, child sacrifice, homosexuality, and bestiality, reveals that God’s reason for commanding their death was not genocide but capital punishment. After all, the Old Testament unequivocally commands that those who do any one of these things deserves to die. Also, God made it clear in His conversation with Abraham regarding the Canaanite cities of Sodom and Gomorrah that He knows who would or would not repent, and in the case of those cities, not one person would heed the warning and even Lot’s family had to be forcibly pulled away from the coming destruction. In Leviticus 18 God then warns Israel that if they commit similar sins that the land would similarly “vomit” them out. Later when Israel disobeys God and allows the Canaanites to continue to live among them, the corruptive and seductive power of Canaanite sin results in the Canaanization of Israel. Subsequently, God sent prophets to warn Israel of their coming destruction, but they didn’t repent and God said that they became “like Sodom to me” and He visited destruction on Israel for committing the same sins. This again reveals that God’s motive isn’t genocide, but capital punishment. That we commit similar sins today renders us incapable of appropriate moral outrage against these sins and thus we accuse God of “genocide” to justify our own sinfulness.
Richard Dawkins and other new atheists herald God’s ordering of the destruction of Canaanite cities to be divine “ethnic cleansing” and “genocides.”1 With righteous indignation, Dawkins opines that the God of the Old Testament is “the most unpleasant character in all of fiction.”2 But was the killing of the Canaanites an example of divine genocide? If you think the Canaanites deserved to die because of their own wickedness, Dawkins will zealously compare you to acting like the Taliban.3 A closer look at several key facts will help explain God’s reason for the destruction of the Canaanites and reveal how our own sinfulness demonstrates our incapacity to judge rightly.
That atheists are incapable of judging spiritual matters leads some Christians to wonder why we even need to answer them at all, especially if they lack any objective, moral, or epistemological foundation for their claims. Moreover, most atheists do not customarily condemn the very practices that God condemns, for example, idolatry, adultery, and homosexuality. Predictably so, their values conflict with what God hates.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#122883 Feb 2, 2014
Concerning the destruction of the Canaanites, atheists especially like to exploit the Christian condemnation of genocide. They reason something along these lines:(1) Christians condemn genocide.(2) Yahweh’s command to kill the Canaanites was an act of divine genocide.(3) Therefore, Christians should condemn Yahweh for commanding genocide.
The second premise is false, however. Part of the goal of this essay is to offer evidence to show that God had good reason to command Israel to kill the Canaanites. In Leviticus 18 and elsewhere, for example, the Bible reveals that God punished the Canaanites for specific grievous evils. Also, this wasn’t the entire destruction of a race as God didn’t order that every Canaanite be killed but only those who lived within specific geographical boundaries (Josh. 1:4). Canaanite tribes (especially the Hittites) greatly exceeded the boundaries that Israel was told to conquer. And since, as we will see, He punished Israel when they committed the same sins, what happened to the Canaanites was not genocide, but capital punishment.
This wasn’t merely punishment, however. God sought to reveal His standards of righteousness to a thoroughly corrupted humankind, and He chose Israel out of the nations to exhibit the requirements for relationship with Him (Deut. 4:5–8). Before He redeemed humankind, He needed to unambiguously demonstrate what exactly He was redeeming them from: a blatant and unrestrained evil that resulted in a worthless, nasty, and cruel existence. God knows what is best for humankind, but He allowed free creatures to rebel and find out on their own that He is right. If Jesus had died to redeem humankind prior to humankind’s comprehending the depth of their sin, then people would question the need for Jesus’ death. Why would Jesus die for basically good folk? God waited to redeem humankind until they had the chance to be, as 2 Live Crew once put it,“as nasty as they wanna be.”
THE CANAANITES WERE WICKED
The Bible is explicit concerning the sins of the Canaanites: idolatry, incest, adultery, child sacrifice, homosexuality, and bestiality. Much of what follows is horrific, but if we refuse to look, will we really understand the reasons for God’s judgment?
Idolatry. The Canaanites worshiped other gods, which the Old Testament frequently denounced as no more than sticks or pottery made by human hands that could not “see or hear or eat or smell”(Deut. 4:28 NIV). Yahweh derided these handmade gods that cannot speak and must be carried because they cannot walk (Jer. 1:16; 8:2–5).
The Canaanites took seriously the testimony of the Old Testament witness of Yahweh and His revelation, if for no other reason than intentionally to transform the scriptural depiction of Yahweh into a castrated weakling who likes to play with His own excrement and urine.4
Of course Dawkins complains that “God’s monumental rage whenever his chosen people flirted with a rival god resembles nothing so much as sexual jealousy of the worst kind.”5 But does anyone think that if Dawkins’s wife left him for a gingerbread man of her own baking, and then she began to tell everyone that he liked to play with his excrement, that Dawkins would tolerate the characterization of his feelings as no more than “sexual jealously of the worst kind”?
Idolatry perverts our ability to love what Yahweh loves. Consequently, we love what He hates, and we hate what He loves. The story of Canaanite incest, adultery, child sacrifice, homosexuality, and bestiality flow out of the plot line of idolatry. The tragedy of this story is that not only is idolatry an offense to Yahweh, but it fails to supply a happy ending for human communities as well.
Incest. Like all Ancient Near East (ANE) pantheons, the Canaanite pantheon was incestuous. Baal has sex with his mother Asherah,6 his sister Anat, and his daughter Pidray,7 and none of this is presented pejoratively.

Location hidden

#122884 Feb 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You can spell it in any way which delights you, I just find the tradition of avoiding the word (and others) as something akin to not spilling salt or avoiding black cats.
I am not superstitious! i wasn't avoiding the word, if i was, i'd said, 8 5 12 12.

Location hidden

#122885 Feb 2, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The man Jesus and the mythical being Jesus have become inseparable. That is the only "intelligent design" apparent in "Christian science." There is no reason whatsoever to teach baseless mythology alongside actual science.
I am not talking about anyone really. whether or not Jesus was either, myth, man, or whatever, the teachings and words are very real, and to me, that's what's important. Most people are to busy worrying about this or that and not focusing on the teachings...maybe you can tell me why it is that, the bible gives credit to Mary Magdalene as being the first person to see and speak to Jesus, after resurrection, when at that time period, Jews believed women should be seen and not heard when it came to matters involving the church, Yet here they give credit to a woman for one of the greatest events in mankind. Why not give credit to the writer or one of Jesus' male disciples? They wrote this book and went against their own selves by giving her credit.. Doesn't make much sense to me, Maybe you can enlighten me on this?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#122886 Feb 2, 2014
It's Sunday.
It's SuperBowl time.
Therefore god exists.

Nottingham, UK

#122887 Feb 2, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, there you are.

You ran away yesterday leaving behind a host of unanswered posts and questions. You've done that before when you're getting pummeled.

Care to answer some of those posts?
Khatru wrote:
Morality doesn't change?

Your god thought it was good to kill people who follow other religions.

He also thought it good to have homosexuals killed.

Are you seriously saying that disgusting ethics like that should still be adhered to?
ChromiuMan wrote:
What Bible cartoon did you get this version of the story from? I don't remember any of it from Gen. 5. You must be one that Brain_ D was talking about - who "know" and "love" the subject.
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>Which Bible?
Khatru wrote:
Thanks for that

Some interesting quotes about this church from Christians...

"Words can not express the degree of disdain that many of us now have for the NTCC leadership as a result of their deceitful, disingenuous and untruthful conduct"

"No matter what comes out of there very crooked lying mouths" (sic)

"For those of you still in ntcc, I have no idea how you can keep following leaders like Davis, Kekel and Olson when they have LIED over and over again"

"NTCC is NOT of God. It is wolves in sheep's clothing. Angels' of darkness pretending to be angel's of light. If you think it is OK to follow men who constantly LIE then there is nothing I can do"

"I was going to e-mail you this link cuz I thought it would make for a good blog post one day, but I couldn't find your e-mail address.

The link is called "5 warning signs of an unhealthy church". Interesting article..
http://www.newdaynews.com/files/5_warning_sig... ;

"More smoke and mirrors and damage control. I guess they know if they keep repeating a lie over and over people will believe it. I heard with my own ears when RW Davis declared that if our kids didn't go to the bible school, we were failures as parents"
Mike Duquette wrote:
Your entire statement is completely false.
American law would condemn and imprison the likes of Moses. Why? Because the whole of our countrymen deem the targeted killing of innocent children, immoral to the highest degree.
The fact you excuse your Moses for doing it tells me you have a flawed barometer on morality.
Oh, and historically, morality was discussed in depth long before your myth was ever invented or written about.
Your religion does not own morality.
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Thank you for your response. Just one more quick question please....Does your church believe in the Christian Author Lactantius observation of the old testament?
Mike Duquette wrote:
First, why should the parents have believed Noah? You would kill babies just because a parent does not believe the crazy claims of another man?
You keep trying to justify the murders, but you keep falling short of showing any sense of morality or justice.
If this is a metaphor, the moral of the story is, believe what I say, or else I will kill you, your family, and all your friends.
Mike Duquette wrote:
So by "everyone", you mean the few people around Noah, and not everyone on the planet?
Khatru wrote:
Jesus is the law-giver? What laws did Jesus give us?

Who are you to say what your god will judge people as?

A while back you said only fools claim to know God's mind.
How can you say who is saved and who is not if you're not claiming to know your god's mind?
That's just a few of the posts you ran away from.

There are plenty more

Nottingham, UK

#122888 Feb 2, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Only you can answer that for your self..
Well, I don't believe in magic so I don't adhere to the abracadbra method of creation.

Nottingham, UK

#122889 Feb 2, 2014
Curious wrote:
Concerning the destruction of the Canaanites, atheists especially like to exploit the Christian condemnation of genocide.
So it's bad to commit genocide unless you're the god of the Bible when it's quite alright to slaughter millions of men, women, children and babies.

No society is evil through and through. The people that rule and govern may be evil but there is always good to be found.

Something which appears to elude your god in his quest to kill ever more people.

Nottingham, UK

#122890 Feb 2, 2014
Curious wrote:
The Bible is explicit concerning the sins of the Canaanites: idolatry, incest, adultery, child sacrifice, homosexuality, and bestiality.
Abraham was ready and willing to commit child sacrifice and your god deemed him a righteous man.

Your god also accepted the sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter.

Looks like child sacrifice isn't as evil as you say it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min The Apostle 7,450
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Nutz 155,584
Did they they ban the psycho parent from footba... 27 min PantherNation 2
Daniel bays (Jul '12) 33 min mark 13
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr BIG_STEVIE 26,297
KC bville lynncamp, who has the best cheer squad? 3 hr biggest loser 7
Stealing from child's grave 3 hr D Rogers 25
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]