Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 141402 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#122808 Feb 1, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Freedom means the right for the Quran to be treated equally to the Bible. It means that Satanists have the same rights as Christians.
While Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion, the Koran and the Bible aren't the same, neither is Satanism and Christianity. We are a Christian nation, not a theocracy.
Khatru wrote:
You mean you'd like to read a bible in a public library? Go ahead.
Thanks, but we're discussing the issue of bible study in public schools. Remember?
talk straight

United States

#122809 Feb 1, 2014
the truth will set you free.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#122810 Feb 1, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that is not even close to truth. For example the Government funds the Armed Services and employs chaplins, has Church's on Army bases etc. There are hundreds of other examples.
That is not respecting the establishment of religion. Neither is offering religious studies in a school
Most examples have been shot down by the supreme court. And the reasoning given is to keep the spirit of the first amendment.
The armed forces have to provide everything a human may need due to it not being available in the field. So their are some small grey areas here.
"Religious studies" is not respecting any one religion, and it is not by any means, indoctrinating the religions studied.
The fact you keep insisting the bible be studied for character and morals is evidence you wish to indoctrinate rather than just learn what the bible is about in a historical sense.
I have no problem if it is included in a religious studies class. I do have a problem when it is offered at the exclusion of all other religious doctrines.
The way you talk about it, one would think it was the only religious doctrine on the planet.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122811 Feb 1, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>While Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion, the Koran and the Bible aren't the same, neither is Satanism and Christianity. We are a Christian nation, not a theocracy.
<quoted text>Thanks, but we're discussing the issue of bible study in public schools. Remember?
We are a nation with a majority of Christians, which not the same as being a Christian nation. America as a government does not endorse any particular religion. We even had most of the founding fathers sign a treaty saying so. Congress passed this treaty unanimously. The treaty of Tripoli. It explicitly states, the United states is not a Christian nation. Meaning, it does not endorse the religion.
If we were a Christian nation, it would be what theocracies make claim to. If our government put one religion before all others, it is what theocracies do.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122812 Feb 1, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see you quote from the Constitution.
The American Constitution provides for better rights than the god of the Bible ever gave.
Your god would rather kill people than let them choose their own religion.
Moses defied all our constitution protects. Moses honored nothing our laws were made of.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122813 Feb 1, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>While Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion, the Koran and the Bible aren't the same, neither is Satanism and Christianity. We are a Christian nation, not a theocracy.
<quoted text>Thanks, but we're discussing the issue of bible study in public schools. Remember?
I fail to see you finishing your point about the Koran not being the same as the bible? Of course it is not the same, and thus if you demand your bible have a class of its own, then the different holy books should get equal treatment.

Do you not understand how our government works, and what makes us different than most nations? It is the very thing you wish to make the same as most nations.
For one, we try our best not to play favorites to the majority. Just because Caucasians are the majority, they should be get preferable treatment. And that will protect you when Caucasians are no longer the majority race. Same for the majority religions.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122814 Feb 1, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that is not even close to truth. For example the Government funds the Armed Services and employs chaplins, has Church's on Army bases etc. There are hundreds of other examples.
That is not respecting the establishment of religion. Neither is offering religious studies in a school
In order for the military not to abridge the governments contract of prohibiting the free exercise thereof, it must fund military religious facilities.
Your school kids have the ability and freedom to go to a tax exempt church. Do the math.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#122815 Feb 1, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
The United States may be predominately religious now, but it was in no way founded on the Christian religion. Ever hear of the Treaty of Tripoli. Go read it, especially Article 11, hopefully you possess enough intelligence to understand what you're reading, but from previous comments from you, I'm highly doubtful.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#122816 Feb 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>We are a nation with a majority of Christians, which not the same as being a Christian nation. America as a government does not endorse any particular religion. We even had most of the founding fathers sign a treaty saying so. Congress passed this treaty unanimously. The treaty of Tripoli. It explicitly states, the United states is not a Christian nation. Meaning, it does not endorse the religion.
If we were a Christian nation, it would be what theocracies make claim to. If our government put one religion before all others, it is what theocracies do.
Sorry MD, seems I'm parroting you.... not intentional, this post wasn't there when I was typing my comment.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122817 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
That BS enabling part.
I know dysfunctionality when I see it...from a mile away.
So, Check yourself man and quite acting dysfunctionally, because while parts of it ARE wretched the "whole" book is NOT.
You need a hand up out of that wretched ruthole you're mired in?
You claim it is BS, yet fail to even attempt to give a reason, much less use logic within. All I see are more of the same from you, bitching and crying like a spoiled child, stomping his feet. What a joke.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122818 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you Duquette, I appreciate that!
So you agree? Great.

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>So you wish me to use my moral mind to weed out the wretched parts and cherry pick out the rational logical parts? Well I feel I do that already, and that is why I harp on the parts I disagree with. Heck, sometimes I actually harp on parts I agree with, and point out how the believers chose to ignore those parts. But of course you ignore that part of my agenda. Now cherry pick away.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122819 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You having an alzhiemers moment there? Or just another yelp from the rut?
I have yet to hear you condemn Moses for anything.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122820 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You having an alzhiemers moment there? Or just another yelp from the rut?
It would be easy for you to correct me, simply show something you condemn that Moses did. I really doubt you would ever make such a direct statement that shows the bible in such a bad light.
one nation under God

United States

#122821 Feb 1, 2014
Romans 13:1
King James Version (KJV)

13 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Psalm 22:28
King James Version (KJV)

28 For the kingdom is the Lord's: and he is the governor among the nations.

“No A appointment Necessary ”

Since: Dec 09

Cannon, KY

#122822 Feb 1, 2014
Mohandas Ghandi wrote:
Which bible? There are several hundred different religions and interpretations of those religions.
I believe when they say "the Bible" they're ususally refferring to the King James Version of the Holy Bible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122823 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:

<quoted text>
and I dont outright "condemn" it because I think it serves purpose in
(REPEAT, DUHMEed down and simplified for the SLOWER amongst us)
Showing MISTAKES and IMperfections through out humanity, as made by mere, mortal humans.
That, and I'm not into condemning anythying just for the sake of ego tripping.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122824 Feb 1, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I might also add Noah died at 950, so I'm sure His kids went many places!
Need I say anything?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122825 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Turn the page Duq, you might find some MUCH more pleasant reading elsewhere with in the many of, when you unrut yourself.
I am sure you could find some pleasant reading in Mien Kampf also. But to pretend the bad does not exist is irresponsible. And thus you are continuously being irresponsible. Here we have believers saying it was godly to kill children and take virgins for slaves, and you stick your fat head in the sand. Irresponsible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122826 Feb 1, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry MD, seems I'm parroting you.... not intentional, this post wasn't there when I was typing my comment.
One would think the treaty would be common knowledge for anyone who has ever had a stance one way or the other on this topic, but of course theists are uncommonly ignorant to real history.
These guys are just repeating catch phrases, brainwashed into their minds by the likes of fox news.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#122827 Feb 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: We gots some reallllllllly stupid ppl in gubbermint sometimes...that ought to be banned for being so stupid and for spreading it as well.
That condemnation and banning enough? Just axing, BEcause anyone REALLY just can't make some that kind of stuff up.
Stupid... DUHmmy.
You have no rebuttal, so you resort to baby talk.
Condemnation is not the same as banning. Simple English may help you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big n lil Danny hubbard 13 min sure 1
Confederate flags 1 hr CSA 1
Justice For All... 1 hr Troll 8
Jamie Foley 2 hr Duely 11
Yard Sale 4 hr Live there 3
is someone missing a phone from waterpark lastweek 10 hr Unknown 3
Jason Marsee shot Ford Collett 11 hr Lmao 40
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE