Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156587 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SisterNoneYa

Science Hill, KY

#120749 Jan 9, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just told on another forum that the reason that the ice grew in Antarctica is that the ice was melting due to global warming (from the regions that don't get above zero in the summer) and the fresh water was building up around the continent as ice as the melted water hit the salt oceans (that are above zero)... And that was why the ship got stuck in the ice about 4 miles from open water and was 17 miles from open water by the time rescue showed up..and got stuck...
That wouldn't coincide very well with the facts of oceanic saline level increases very well either.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#120751 Jan 9, 2014
SisterNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree.
We are absolutely NOT comprised of primates.
Humans are primates.

Species: sapiens
Genus: homo
Family: hominidae
Order: primates

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#120752 Jan 9, 2014
SisterNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree.
But thank you for proving yet again, how easily people let stupidity detrimentally deter them.
Disagree all you wish, Humans are by definition primates...

Corbin, KY

#120753 Jan 9, 2014
agree

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#120754 Jan 9, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You got nothing?
You'll have to stop using that stripped down search engine "Google for Creationists"
Here..........
http://lmgtfy.com/...
Google throws up 5620 results
<quoted text>
Lucy is a human? Who said that?
Is that more of your lies for Jesus?
Of course it is a lie. The trend is clear, Christians must lie to promote their religion because it is a false religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120755 Jan 9, 2014
SisterNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree.
But thank you for proving yet again, how easily people let stupidity detrimentally deter them.
Have you took the time to look up whether you are correct yet?
I thought you claimed to be educated?
I guess if you do not even know this very basic, elementary category of what humans and apes are, then it is understandable why you do not believe in evolution.
The more one learns of evolution, the harder it is to deny evolution. And if you do not know the basics as you just demonstrated, you have not learned much about evolution.

So just what deterred you from learning about evolution? Was it your religious beliefs?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120756 Jan 9, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Lodi are perfect examples of those who do not want to admit that Atheism has a suicide problem, as Rosch stated.
He clearly points out the problems faced by those who deconvert.
After deconversion ,they cease to believe in God , feel ostracized ,lonely , completely lost and apart from their family and friends ,with no one to help.
Those are Rosch's words , not mine
As a result , they become deeply depressed , which in turn can lead to suicide and suicidial tendencies.
What caused these maladies? Their diconversion.
Were they informed that these maladies may befall them? No
Atheists will tell you that by deconverting you will lead a happier life and become free.
So I ask , where is this freedom , where is this happier life to be found?
That you all refuse to admit the relationship between one and the other,is your problem.
That you attempt to refute the evidence by simply denying an existing problem that afflicts your community indicates how calloused you both are.
On the other hand , those who convert to believers do not face those afflictions.
They rejoice in therr new found life and are eager to pursue and grow the Faith that they have now found.
They thirst for The Word , attend Bible studies and can rely on the support of fellow believers.
As a result of their new found faith , they have no reason to become depressed , lonely or ostracized.
Seeking and finding God does not lead to depression and suicidial tendencies.
As Rosch states,though that is not his intention ,when those who deconvertd ,believed in God , they were not afflicted by these maladies.
While it is true that his views are not based on a legitimate study , it is based on his personal experience.
That is why I have stated that his views should be investigated.
There is good reason for such an investigation to take place.
Studies clearly indicate that suicide and depression afflict Atheists to a greater degree than any other group....That can not be denied.
The USMC put out a paper that indicates that those in our Armed forces who do not believe in God are more likely to commit suicide than those who believe.
Given that we know what a serious problem suicide and depression cause in our society , one would think that any reasonable person would do whatever necessary to combat this problem , rather than pretend the problem is nonexistent
Being depressed can lead to suicide. But as I stated, and you have failed to refute, there is not a single documented case of suicide attributed to atheism.
Just because you and one other guy thinks it is likely, does not make it so.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120757 Jan 9, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just told on another forum that the reason that the ice grew in Antarctica is that the ice was melting due to global warming (from the regions that don't get above zero in the summer) and the fresh water was building up around the continent as ice as the melted water hit the salt oceans (that are above zero)... And that was why the ship got stuck in the ice about 4 miles from open water and was 17 miles from open water by the time rescue showed up..and got stuck...
Did anyone ever claim ice never grows in Antarctica? Why do republicans like you and Yes and Amen latch onto anything that remotely looks like a contradiction to global warming? It is a rhetorical question, as the answer is clear, you are republicans.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120758 Jan 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans are primates.
Species: sapiens
Genus: homo
Family: hominidae
Order: primates
Yes humans and chimpanzee's have the same scientific classifications in the; kingdom, phylum, class, order, and family.

So the fundies here are so offended at being related to apes, they refuse to even acknowledge the order, much less the family category, which is hominidae.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#120759 Jan 9, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Considering the FACT that Christians suffer metal problems, perhaps one needs to do a cross reference with the suicide rate of atheist and how many were once Christian first!
That would be an interesting cross reference. One of the issues that would need to be addressed is why did they deconvert and how many commited suicide After they deconverted and why.
The Parable of the sower clearly points out why there are those who are unable to fully accept the word of God.
Let me take this one more step.
The process of my conversion from Agnostic to accepting Christ as my saviour was not an overnight process ,. I needed evidence of God'a existence to persuade me to take that step of Faith.
My Pastor made himself available to answer questions and provide guidance.
One of the things he advised me was thet I should test the teachings of the Bible so the I could ascertein for myself whether they were accurate or not.
By following his instructions , I tested those teachings and found them to be true.
Prayers were answered , my behaviour changed and I found peace within myself.
Compare that to someone who deconverts.
They are told God does not exist , yet no facts are provided that can verify that opinion.
When one deconverts there is no support group to ease you through the emptiness you now feel.
You feel lonely and ostracized , that , according to Stak Rosch.
The freedom and happiness that one is told one will feel is instead followed by feelings of loneliness and depression.
What you were told and what you get are diametrically opposed.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120760 Jan 9, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Man will always follow another man before they will follow God. That good music man you follow and what he stands for is your image of what is good because God painted a picture for you of what good looks like.
There would be no such thing as charity without Christ.
There would be no such thing as a Hospital without Christ.
Man is incapable of deciding what is right or wrong without Christ.
Your little friend knew how to sing his Christmas song because of Jesus Christ.
Kind of contradicts what is written in the old testament. That book before Jesus.
There are charities and hospitals in nations that do not believe in Jesus.
And what does Jesus have to do with hospitals? Just pray that sick away and give the church ten percent of your earnings so they will lay their magic hands on you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120761 Jan 9, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> Judas committed suicide when he betray god your point is
Betrayed? If not for Judas, your sins would not have been forgiven by the human sacrifice.
And do you not think it was pre-ordained? Jesus wanted and needed to die, according to the tale. So in effect, Jesus committed suicide.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#120762 Jan 9, 2014
SevenT wrote:
Man will always follow another man before they will follow God.
I see nothing wrong with that. Especially as there's no proof that yours or anyone else's god actually exists.
SevenT wrote:
That good music man you follow and what he stands for is your image of what is good because God painted a picture for you of what good looks like.

Except that your idea of good is pretty skewed and includes genocide, killing gays, slavery and killing people of other religions.

[QUOTE who="SevenT"]
There would be no such thing as charity without Christ.
*Sniff sniff* What's that smell? Can anyone smell anything?

Smells like bullshit
SevenT wrote:
There would be no such thing as a Hospital without Christ.

Smells like bullshit
SevenT wrote:
Man is incapable of deciding what is right or wrong without Christ.
Your little friend knew how to sing his Christmas song because of Jesus Christ.

Smells like bullshit

Cambridge, UK

#120763 Jan 9, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> Judas committed suicide when he betray god your point is
How did he commit suicide?

Cambridge, UK

#120764 Jan 9, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree all you wish, Humans are by definition primates...
Then we have the Primate of All Ireland

A good Christian man of authority....

http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioce...

When you become the Primate of All Ireland you get to throw plenty of shite,

Cambridge, UK

#120765 Jan 9, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course it is a lie. The trend is clear, Christians must lie to promote their religion because it is a false religion.
Yes, lies seem to be all they have.

Cambridge, UK

#120766 Jan 9, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes humans and chimpanzee's have the same scientific classifications in the; kingdom, phylum, class, order, and family.
So the fundies here are so offended at being related to apes, they refuse to even acknowledge the order, much less the family category, which is hominidae.
What the fundies tend to forget is that it was christians who came up with much of the biological classification of species.

Cambridge, UK

#120767 Jan 9, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of contradicts what is written in the old testament. That book before Jesus.
There are charities and hospitals in nations that do not believe in Jesus.
And what does Jesus have to do with hospitals? Just pray that sick away and give the church ten percent of your earnings so they will lay their magic hands on you.
I doubt there's anything in the Bible that credits Jesus as the architect of our hospitals.

Seems to me like another lying christian making things up to suit himself.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120768 Jan 9, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be an interesting cross reference. One of the issues that would need to be addressed is why did they deconvert and how many commited suicide After they deconverted and why.
The Parable of the sower clearly points out why there are those who are unable to fully accept the word of God.
Let me take this one more step.
The process of my conversion from Agnostic to accepting Christ as my saviour was not an overnight process ,. I needed evidence of God'a existence to persuade me to take that step of Faith.
My Pastor made himself available to answer questions and provide guidance.
One of the things he advised me was thet I should test the teachings of the Bible so the I could ascertein for myself whether they were accurate or not.
By following his instructions , I tested those teachings and found them to be true.
Prayers were answered , my behaviour changed and I found peace within myself.
Compare that to someone who deconverts.
They are told God does not exist , yet no facts are provided that can verify that opinion.
When one deconverts there is no support group to ease you through the emptiness you now feel.
You feel lonely and ostracized , that , according to Stak Rosch.
The freedom and happiness that one is told one will feel is instead followed by feelings of loneliness and depression.
What you were told and what you get are diametrically opposed.
I doubt anyone became an atheist because someone told them god was not real. More likely the discovery of this came as slowly as your conversion. Many times due to prayers not being answered. Many times it is through the discovery of contradictions of the bible. Many times it is the discovery of the immoral actions in the bible that are claimed to be of good.
This is why I say, I cannot know if I converted anyone. Conversion is not as simple as one man talking to another. What I say may have helped in a conversion, but I do not think it would be honest to take credit for a conversion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#120769 Jan 9, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did anyone ever claim ice never grows in Antarctica? Why do republicans like you and Yes and Amen latch onto anything that remotely looks like a contradiction to global warming? It is a rhetorical question, as the answer is clear, you are republicans.
See there you go with attack without intellectual content... You didn't even understand the words I posted and complain about religious zealots not comprehending you... The Issue is not whether Ice grows or wains the Reply I Made was to the Methodology I was told by a B'Lever in the Faith of AGW... The Ice in Antarctica on the continent proper Does Not Melt.. Not even in the summer time as the temps do not fall below the freezing point... There May be the rare occasion it rises to above zero in the middle of summer but it's rare... The Ice is lost when in it's plastic state it moves to the sea and either calves off icebergs or melts in the Above Zero waters around the continent .... The Loss is due to Snow fall reduction to replace that which is Always being lost... It's gains ice when snow fall is greater than loss rates...

The function has less to do with global temp than it has to do with atmospheric moisture content which has several other explanations other than human productions of the small relative amount of CO2 humans produce...

Also I not a republican so your vindictiveness against them does not apply... There is little difference in your religious adherence to the AGW faith and Yes and Amen adherence to his Christian faith....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beth Saunders (Nov '14) 20 min old prof 4
wondering 40 min ski 5
Dating in B-ville 2 hr Misty 4
cash for stamps 2 hr Wondering 3
Grace way metals 3 hr In need 1
It's a Mystery............. 4 hr Nimbletwig 3
looking for brother & sister, molly & steven re... (Dec '10) 10 hr lilajane 15

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance