Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,158

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#120525 Jan 5, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you get bored reading about the MANY wars told of in the region, from MANY and various literary and scholarly sources--maybe you could just try searching for a a three inch piece of pottery in the Sahara desert.
The myth tells us that camp was at the base of Mount Sinai. Not lost in the vastness of the sandy Sahara.

That camp had six million people and animals - it was huge.

It was also (if it really happened) only a few thousand years ago.

It's unfortunate for believers that archaeology isn't a friend of the Bible.

Nottingham, UK

#120526 Jan 5, 2014
I don't know what time those fundies are on but it's at least 500 years behind GMT.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#120527 Jan 5, 2014
tema wrote:
<quoted text>
What you presented was an unproven allegation. The state of the world shows that God in not benevolent is not a factual statement .You did not present any evidence in support of what you have stated.
The Problem of Evil is undeniable and Christians have not been able to come up with a rational solution in two millenia.
tema wrote:
<
His Existence can not be proven or disproven on the basis that He does not act according to your moral standards ,whatever they might be.
The Bible god does not act in accordance with his own moral standards. Did Jesus sit and do nothing while people suffered needlessly?
SistaNoneYa

Mount Vernon, KY

#120528 Jan 5, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Just quoting the Bible - check it out - Exodus 12:37
"And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children."
Nice to see you admit that the Bible got it wrong.
Better not let curious, Y & A or Seven T see this admission of yours or they'll start calling you a false Christian.
Pardon?

The only admission I've stated, is that I already realized, Israel was not referred to as "Israel" centuries ago.
And that the Bible, in my opinion, isn't a book to be read literally "verbatim". Obviously.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#120529 Jan 5, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
SevenT defined himself as a New Testament Christian but most of his quotes have centred on the myths and fables of the OT.
He really ought to try crow-barring his mind out of the Late Iron Age.
That is a convenient thing for them to believe in magic and myths. They are indoctrinated to feel it's their mission to condemn secular governments that conflict with their beliefs which have been shown in many cases not supported by historic or scientific evidence.
SistaNoneYa

Mount Vernon, KY

#120530 Jan 5, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The myth tells us that camp was at the base of Mount Sinai. Not lost in the vastness of the sandy Sahara.
That camp had six million people and animals - it was huge.
It was also (if it really happened) only a few thousand years ago.
It's unfortunate for believers that archaeology isn't a friend of the Bible.
Archeology has attested to the existence numerous mentions of people, places and things that the Bible has written with in it.

Especially since it has often been a "base" that archeologists "work" from.

For those not too mired in scopes of limited thinking, that are far too narrow to even consider giving any consideration to anyway.

Nottingham, UK

#120531 Jan 5, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Pardon?
The only admission I've stated, is that I already realized, Israel was not referred to as "Israel" centuries ago.
And that the Bible, in my opinion, isn't a book to be read literally "verbatim". Obviously.
Surely you realised that all I was doing was quoting the Bible? After all, I did cite the particular scripture.

Not literal?

OK. That's just kicked SevenT and Yes and Amen into touch = nice one!

Nottingham, UK

#120532 Jan 5, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The Problem of Evil is undeniable and Christians have not been able to come up with a rational solution in two millenia.
<quoted text>
The Bible god does not act in accordance with his own moral standards. Did Jesus sit and do nothing while people suffered needlessly?
Good job Jesus wasn't a conservative or he'd have been demanding payment before doing any healing.

Nottingham, UK

#120533 Jan 5, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Archeology has attested to the existence numerous mentions of people, places and things that the Bible has written with in it.
Especially since it has often been a "base" that archeologists "work" from.
For those not too mired in scopes of limited thinking, that are far too narrow to even consider giving any consideration to anyway.
So that makes the Bible true?

Archaeology has also confirmed the existence of much of the people and places referenced by Homer in his great works The Illiad and The Odyssey.

They must also be true.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#120534 Jan 5, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Dukett ,I personally believe that you started to show a lack of understanding way back when you judged your parents to be delusional and most recently when you concocted your story about your uncle's funeral.
Do you have any evidence my claim is a lie? I guess seeing as how you lie so often, you must think everyone is lying all the time.
You just broke one of the ten commandments.
I see you just skipped all my points and diverted.
I gave a perfectly logical reason for my statement my parents. You failed to show what is flawed my statement. So really you are just a whiner and cannot even spell my name correctly.

Nottingham, UK

#120535 Jan 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a convenient thing for them to believe in magic and myths. They are indoctrinated to feel it's their mission to condemn secular governments that conflict with their beliefs which have been shown in many cases not supported by historic or scientific evidence.
Of course, secularism is the way to go.

Secularism is all about having the balls to question everything in ways that no one belief system is permitted to dominate.

Week-by-week, secularism is pushing religion out of public affairs.

The smart believers have got a problem in that they need to be in two minds. One rational to deal with reality and the other irrational to deal with their religion.

The dumb believers don't have this problem.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#120536 Jan 5, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Evil is undeniable but ,it is not a thing or an entity created by God.
Evil is a result of decisions we make .It is a matter of choices that we make by using our free will.

Jesus provides the solution to defeating evil. He fulfilled the law and the prophets.

This is all done in accordance with God's plan.

To those who believe the answers are provided in the New Testament.
To those who do not believe , no answer will suffice

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#120537 Jan 5, 2014
tema wrote:
<quoted text>
Evil is undeniable but ,it is not a thing or an entity created by God.
Evil is a result of decisions we make .It is a matter of choices that we make by using our free will.
Diseases and natural disasters are not a result of decisions we make. They are natural evils. The latter are usually referred to as "Acts of God" because they are totally beyond our control.
tema wrote:
Jesus provides the solution to defeating evil.
How so?
tema wrote:
He fulfilled the law and the prophets.
The Jewish Messiah was supposed to be an important political leader who ushers in an age of peace and prosperity. Jesus didn't do that. He failed the prophecies.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120538 Jan 5, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Krak ,We have gone over this topic that you are now inserting into the conversation, probably due to Duktt suggesting you do so , in order for him not to have to respond to what I posted to him
This is what Duckit posted, to which I responded;
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you expect the others to turn the other cheek, then will take an eye for an eye?
You might believe Jesus is a god, but you sure do not follow his suggestions.
And let me ad;
Atheists believe they have free license to insult and berate those of us who believe in God and Christ , without fearing retribution.
When retribution is visited on them , they absurdly claim that we do not adhere to the teachings of our Lord. In other words , Atheists interpret Jesus's teachings as giving them free license to insult and berate believers as often as they like and we are not permitted to defend ourselves
That is a cowardly assumption,I can hit you as often as I want but you can't hit me back.
If you all have a problem with my behaviour , you are not qualified to call me on it.
I would suggest that you bring your complaints to my Lord and tell him that you believe his servant is not being obedient . When my master so advices me , then I will relent.
The hypocricy of Atheists goes even further.
It has been claimed by Atheists that part of their moral code is based on " Do not do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you.
If that be true , then , since you have a penchant for insulting others , you would want to be insulted in return.
And that is what I am doing , exactly as your moral code states and you so desire
As to your attempts to regurgitate that which you have already regurgitated on many occassions,,,,, Stick it in your ear and be done with it
Ever think maybe you are being treated poorly because you were treating others poorly?
You act as if you were the first to be treated poorly, thus you had full reason to treat others poorly.

I have no idea what you think Jesus meant when he said "turn the other cheek". I keep asking, but you refuse to answer. I see what you do not think it means, but that does not explain what you think it means.

Human perception is flawed, and it is likely the each person in an argument feels the other person was being mean first. So your reasoning does not make much sense.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120539 Jan 5, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not presented nor am I aware of any evidence that God repents
Insofar as I know ,He does not.
Moreover ,let me ad this caveat.
Whether God repents or not ,has nothing to do with the basis for my faith , so to me,this topic is irrelevant and immaterial.
I understand your efforts in attempting to shake the foundations of my Faith.
In order to accomplish your goal , you need address the basis for my Faith , not your misinterpretation of the bible.
If you can demonstrate how it is possible for inanimate matter to spontaneously transform itsel into living,intelligent and conscious matter , then you may well have a valid point.
Despite having been given many opportunities to do so , you have failed.
If you can demonstrate that my personal experiences are not valid ,by presenting credible evidence to that effect , you may well have a point.
None of you have succeeded in accomplishing that objective and you have been given ample opportunity to do so.
Do you believe that it is possible for inanimate matter to attain unto life?
yes or no
In other words, you do not care about the issue of contradictions in the bible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120540 Jan 5, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a question of quotas or confirmations of conversions.
The issue is the abject and total failure of Atheism's immoral tactics in your attempts to deconvert poor unsuspecting victims ,as you well know.
Intentionally misleading innocent victims into decoverting and not advising them beforehand of the consecuences they will encounter ,suicidial tendencies, deep depression and other maladies detrimental to their well being should be outlawed and those responsible for doing so should be held accountable for their immoral behaviour.
There are currently laws on the books,whereby , if you misrepresent the product you are selling , you can be brought before a court of law.
Your sales techniques should be covered by such laws.
The laws fall under the heading of ' Deceptive practices"
I am willing to have warning demands put on my speech when there are warning labels on religious speech.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120541 Jan 5, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably are among those who believe domestic violence shoud be condoned.
Bullies believe that they have free license to abuse others and should not be subjected to any
type of response in return.
I have already stated my position on that issue ,as you well know.
Proceed at your own risk.
Take the log out of your eye, as it seems you are the one being a bully.
I am not asking you to not fight back, I am simply asking how you can be so rude with the name calling and still be following the words of Jesus? I really do not care if you are hypocritical to the words of Jesus, as it just shows everyone what a farce your religion is.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120542 Jan 5, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice dodge of the question.
To answer your question you can not pick and choose parts of the Bible. The Bible is without error.
I find it interesting though when someone picks through Leviticus and finds something that sounds like "ignorant primitive barbarism". I have studied Leviticus along with the whole Bible so I know what it says. I can only speculate as to your specific example. Most likely it is the penalty for some Sin. Anyhow the law was to be carried out through a legal process with the Pharasis acting as Judge. Sounds very similar to our modern day court system to me. Anyhow those Laws were for the Jews of that era and that is the way they lived at that time. The vast majority of the laws were guidance for every day life such as food, medicine, clothing, shelter, personal hygene etc. But more important it reveals God's thoughts and the nature of God.
The OT certainly does show the nature of god. It shows a jealous murdering, homophobic personality. One I would not wish for children to be looking up to. One I would hope no one would follow the example of.
Humans learn by example, and the OT god shows the example of a tyrannical dictator.

The OT laid down laws for men. Now you may feel god only wanted the Jews to follow them, but it does not say in the bible what you claim. It would contradict the claims of Jesus when he said, Matthew 5:17 Yeshua asserts,“Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets”(RSV)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120543 Jan 5, 2014
old man wrote:
people dont understand god set up away to test the living sow he wanted true love to enter heaven and puting humans on earth gave them a school house if you will to be tested in, and the time to us humans looks like it takes to long and it makes it look like there is no god but time has no meaning to god one day can be a thousand years to him .
Is this one sentence? And who says, time has no meaning to god? I guess you have no make up some excuse to cover the inaccuracies of Genesis.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120544 Jan 5, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree, consistently murder and theft are bad and treating neighbors as they want to be treated is good. To secularists, morality is relative, to me its absolute. Do good not bad.
Of course, circumstances matter, but that doesn't change the rule.
The bible justifies killing and theft. Just look at Deuteronomy 13 for just one example.
Killing due to religious reasons such as Deuteronomy demands is "murder" in my book. Sad your book sees it as good. So doing good means nothing if your version of good is killing and taking people stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 21 min Darren the puppet 19
jason hughes 26 min sky 10
Husbands with friends 32 min sky 5
teena Marie mills 2 hr john 5
jessica napier 8 hr hmm 1
brandon bryson 9 hr old friend 4
food stamp office 9 hr Jdp889 15
praying it's all a lie 18 hr Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating