Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148396 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#120225 Dec 31, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what happens when the uncultivated, uncultured, ignorant, illiterate, and uneducated try and think.
heh heh heh
While on the topic of ignorant and illiterate. Gotta question for ya
You still trying to figure out how to spell heh backwards?
Need a hint?
Here is a clue...lol spelled backwards is spelled lol
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#120226 Dec 31, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By your reasoning, I must know an alternative version for anything you claim your god did?
Fact is, it makes no sense a god would exist, so I do not take your creation story seriously, and you certainly have never provided evidence of a god.
Wrong again , By my reasoning you are going to an even greater extreme than Hitchens in your efforts to avoid answering a valid question.
However , if one is unwilling or unable to answer such a question. it is best not to speak and forever hold one's peace

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#120228 Dec 31, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
heh heh heh
While on the topic of ignorant and illiterate. Gotta question for ya
You still trying to figure out how to spell heh backwards?
Need a hint?
Here is a clue...lol spelled backwards is spelled lol
Unfortunately, Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#120229 Dec 31, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I will bet you a large percentage were at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder when they were arrested, convicted and thrown in prison and found Jesus while in Prison. Prison Ministry is one of the most amazing untold success stories in the American Penal System and all of Christianity. And those that do truly repent they are least likely to find their way back in prison. The transforming power of Christ is something only believers can understand.
Thank you for your post
This survey shows they did find their way back to prison for murder and then executed.

During 10 years in Sing-Sing, those executed for murder were 65% Catholics, 26% Protestants, 6% Hebrew, 2% Pagan and less than 1/3 of 1% non-religious.

The bible does say that you can be forgiven 7x77 times and the only sin not forgivable is the sin against the holy spirit.

Explain the sin against the holy spirit

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#120230 Jan 1, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry....
but no one is going to be around in 6-10 years... let alone 65, and
we'll have no need for money then!
What is it about you Christians always forecasting the end of the world?

Well, you weren't the first and you certainly won't be the last.

I see that idiot Harold Camping died after getting it wrong twice. A few years back some of his cult were on Topix going on about how the world was ending.

Well, the world's still here but they're not because they can't face up to the embarrassment that their beliefs were wrong.

Try and stick around or at least give us an email address so in 5-6 years time we can remind you of your failed prediction.

Cambridge, UK

#120231 Jan 1, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't you mean to say "Catholics"?
Catholics are Christians

As are Mormons

So are Unitarians

Cambridge, UK

#120232 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea who Bob Gldof is but Charles Manson is a well known atheist as well. Manson is more typical of what happens to an atheist's mind
Why do Christians lie so much?

Is it lies for Jesus week?

Charles Manson is an atheist? Let's hear it from the man himself.......

Never heard of Bob Geldof?

He saved tens of thousands of lives through his actions.

Mind you, with your death cult concentrating on so much blood, I guess the living tends to escape your notice.

By the way, the fact that once again, you failed to answer my question didn't escape my notice.

Look up Bob Geldof and see all the good work he has done and lives he's saved.

Then tell me if you think he is a vile abominable fool who never does any good.

Cambridge, UK

#120233 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
There are tons of other writings including the gnoptic gospels. There is a record and you cited it. Jesus did in fact go into the heavens and it is recorded in the Bible in the other gospels as well. The rest is he came back after acending into heaven and spent time with the disciples.
Nice try I wonder why an atheist would spend so much time trying to convince a Christian? It is impossible to go backwards once you have seen the light and your eyes have been opened.
Who's trying to convince you?

I'm just answering your questions.

Something that you appear to be wholly incapable of doing - it's not my fault if you can't refute what I say.

Cambridge, UK

#120234 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there are other instances where the Jews refused to purge the land. They got soft and felt sorry for the people and refused to do what God told them to do. The same people ended up later conquering the Jews and throwing them into exile and Babylon. They should have listened to God
So your god (who we are told is positively overflowing with love and kindness) has them all slaughtered?

Nice loving god you have there, eh?

Cambridge, UK

#120235 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Lucifer and he has his band of angels he was thrown out of heaven and cast down to earth. He is around and is responsible for all of the sin in our fallen and corrupt world. Do you ever wonder what makes people do the awful things they do to one another? I mean "can't we all just get along?"
If Lucifer is responsible then why as you say punish man and his descendants?

Imagine someone cut the brakes on your car and it crashed leaving you badly injured.

The courts know he is responsible but they leave him to carry on cutting more brakes and punish you instead.

How crazy is that?

Except, that's the justice system you seem to want.

Cambridge, UK

#120236 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with evolution is not so much the theory but the religious aspect of evolution.
What are you talking about?

Evolution is a theory. It's known as the "Theory of Evolution".

Like the Theory of Gravity.

There is no religious aspect to the Theory of Evolution

Cambridge, UK

#120237 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing muslims with Christians. There is nothing in common between the two religions
There's plenty in common.

Comparing their myth book to your myth book, I'd say it's a lot closer than you'd like to admit.

Here are a few mythological characters that appear in the Quran: God, Satan, Adam, Eve, Noah, Lot, Jonah, Job, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, Solomon, Joseph, John the Baptist and Jesus.

You do realise that as a Christian, you're much closer to being a Muslim than a non-believer ever will be?

Fact: Christians and Muslims believe in an invisible sky pixie who hates and tortures his creation.

Fact: Both Christianity's and Islam's holy books contain many of the same myths and mythological characters.

Fact: Both Christians and Muslims believe in a load of crazy rituals that amount to so much superstitious mumbo jumbo.

Fact: You're just a camel and prayer mat away from being a Muslim.

Cambridge, UK

#120238 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Because God can not go against his word nor would he ask believers to go against his word.
Your god once wanted all homosexuals dead - it was his word - it was the law.

He's changed his mind now

Why are you putting limits on what your god can/will do?

Cambridge, UK

#120239 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
The Romans, Christians are the most persecuted people in history, still are in the muslim and communist world
Christianity ran the show for nearly 2000 years. From the Roman Empire in the third century CE to Bosnia in the 1990s, most of the persecution of others has been dished out by Christians.

Cambridge, UK

#120240 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to waste my time going line by line though scripture with someone like you. If you were a serious person I would
I'm not surprised to hear you say this.

It's not your fault if you can't explain the many contradictions in the Bible.

Cambridge, UK

#120242 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing certain religious rituals with Christianity. We can agree that certain practices by certain religious groups is not scriptural
The people that carried out those rituals were Christians and their faith was just as strong, if not stronger, than yours.

Cambridge, UK

#120243 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
OK
Why don't you ask me if God told me to lie would I lie
Why don't you ask me if God told me to cheat on my wife I would
Why don't you ask me if God told me to steal
They are not logical questions because God does not go against his word.....ever.
Yes he does.

I've already told you that it was once your god word that homosexuals were to be executed.

What's worse than that is the many times he ordered his followers to kill people after he'd ordered them not to kill. No wonder his followers are such a mixed up lot.

In any event, why are you putting limits on what your god will/won't do?

Strange how believers will often say that we can't possibly explain the mind of their god, yet here you are doing exactly that.

Next time someone tells you that the bible god is omnipotent and that there's nothing he can't do; you can tell them that you know better.

Cambridge, UK

#120244 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout history Christians have been persecuted all over the world. It continues today
In 2013 you go into a muslim country like Syria or Saudi Arabia and preach the gospel you will be thrown into prison.
In 2013 it is illegal to be a Christian in North Korea or China.
These are undeniable facts. Yes in the US we are safe because we have freedom of religion.
Freedom of religion.

Nice to know you think that's a good idea.

It's a better idea than the one your god had about how his followers were to kill anyone who practiced freedom of religion.

Cambridge, UK

#120245 Jan 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Should have murdered more innocent people!
Wouldn't it make more sense for God's people to be peaceful and kind instead of aggressive and warlike?
Nicely put.

Defining themselves with hatred and bigotry seems to be all-too-easy for some believers.

Cambridge, UK

#120246 Jan 1, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You sidestepped my comments
Evolution has no idea how life started and I never claimed to know . I have made that point vey clear on many occassions .
I have addressed the issue of what I believe and why I believe as I do
Evolution may be able to tell you how something works , what they cannot tell you is how how or who created it to work the way it does.
Boils down to 1 of 2 choices ,Either it was intelligently designed and created by someone or nothing is responsible for it's creation..
Atheists claim that it was not ID "God", but are not able to explain how the only other possible alternative , nothing ,could be responsible for creation.
Again, one cell contains more information than can be found in a complete set of Encyclopedia Britanicas , Fred Hoyle , an Atheist , estimated the probability of inanimate matter spontaneously coming to life as 1 followed by 40,000 zeros.
To claim , as Atheists do , that they do not know who or what created life ,while also claiming it was not ID is ludicrous.
It is illogical to claim to not know , while at the same time claiming it was not Intelligently designed.
That, by any other name , is a smokescreen.
And that is the issue you all keep running from
If I'm guilty of side-stepping anything, it's your assertion that the origin of the cosmos/universe/multiverse is limited to one of two possibilities dictated by you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon Smith Mills 1 hr Lol 5
can someone tell me y it is so hard to get divo... 2 hr the liberal redneck 7
Pam Dexter 2 hr Blacks 1
bonita 2 hr Uneedalife 2
Where's Wahoo? 3 hr Friendly Fire 3
Tyra Smith 5 hr married but needy 2
Tyra Smith 5 hr wishing 2
Motorcycle Accident 5 hr Wondering 7
Prayers Needed 23 hr pray 6
More from around the web