Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,309

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#120011 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a mean spirited comment regarding your mental health. I apologize to you for hurting your feelings.
Didn't bother me at all - it just showed that you couldn't deal with my post.

Nottingham, UK

#120012 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
God is getting what he wants. He is separating and holding apart his people.
My friend you are playing a very dangerous game. All of us will find out either in this life or after death that the great I AM is
I see

So your god wants to torture the vast majority of humanity for all eternity?

Nottingham, UK

#120013 Dec 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How barbaric and violent. No wonder Christians kill so often.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#120014 Dec 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>To be fair, god wanted the people smited. He told Moses what they were up to before Moses even came down.
But Moses talked god out of smiting them. I guess Moses wanted to do the smiting.
Strange that Moses was so surprised when he saw them and smashed the commandments And stranger still, how does one talk god out of doing what he wants?
I mean the whole story makes no sense.
That's my point.... it makes no sense..... On one hand god is this mega supreme being that demands respect and fear. yet allows some mortal man to take over the reigns and do his bidding for him and steal his glory.

When Abraham was talking to god and trying to save Sodom, the bible clearly describes Abraham physically trembling at the thought of questioning this god and his authority, yet Moses goes further and acts as if he is the god. Go Figure.

Nottingham, UK

#120015 Dec 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Is some atheist claiming we are "on the same footing as cockroaches"? Or is this what you feel is the case if we are both just a product of evolution?
You feel we are both a product of god, so does that not put us on the same footing in the same sense? Not that I feel we are on the same footing at all.
If you chose not to believe we are related to apes, fine, but it sure looks as if we are. Going by the DNA alone shows we are related. Just as DNA can show who your brother and sisters are, DNA can show what other species are related. Either that, or god is trying to fool us into believing in evolution by making the DNA follow this pattern.
Poor curious, his mind is fuddled with superstitious mumbo jumbo.

I was reading that our DNA contains the codes for a protein called vitelligenin (it's what makes egg yolk).

I wonder what curious' explanation would be as to why the supreme creator being implanted these codes into our DNA.

After all those particular genes are not functional in us, but are virtually identical to the ones found in chickens (and other birds). Vitelligenin makes egg yolk so it is useful for animals that lay eggs but not for placental mammals like us.

Evolutionary Theory would explain this by saying that the three genes developed in common ancestors of mammals and birds (egg laying reptiles) and have fallen into disrepair in mammals where there was no selective advantage to keep them functional, but have remained intact in birds as they are still necessary.

That's the scientific view in brief.

Here's more of the science if you're interested....

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/03/19...

I wonder what the view from superstition and magic is?

I guess we'd better ask curious.

Nottingham, UK

#120016 Dec 30, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is what is called Human Ego run Amuck... You summed it up well you are of the view that humans are Superior and a God created the Universe for mankind to look at and enjoy... Then the next Ego trip is that Your Religion is superior to those other religions that are false ..... Then the next step is You are superior to all who disagree with your views...
Total arrogance and self importance on full display...
There's another ego trip in there.

It's that their god died for them.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120017 Dec 30, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
When Moses was discussing the destruction of Sodom with god, he was trembling with fear when he questioned god's decision to destroy. Yet now.... Moses is taking the lead and making decisions on his Own. Why 2 sides of Moses and 2 personalities of god? In one instance, he's a god to be feared and in another, he can be overlooked like a footnote.
Moses had reason to be shaking. He wasn't alive yet.
LOL.......You better stop ingesting acid tablets. look what it's done to Kraktu and Q

Nottingham, UK

#120018 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam is a religion of lies and hate based upon hatred of the Jews. Islamists feel Esau was cheated out of the Israel by Jacob. Plus they claim Mohommed was the final prophet even though he lived 700 years after Christ. That means Mohommed is an Anti-Christ.
The Jews have enough problems with centuries of Christian hatred let alone Islamic hatred.

Constantinople was the greatest and most powerful city in Christendom

Mohammed prophesied that it would fall to Islam

It did

That makes Mohammed a prophet.

Nottingham, UK

#120019 Dec 30, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.......You better stop ingesting acid tablets. look what it's done to Kraktu and Q
Not being alive never stopped Moses.

After all, he's credited with writing books after he died.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#120020 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
NOPE you said all these religions have differing beliefs therefore they are all wrong. Plus you are an Atheist. Therefore you are an arrogant fool who thinks they have all the answers.
Not what I said. All these religions have different beliefs, and not all can be correct. But all think they are correct. All think the others are incorrect.

I see you could not prove your claim of what I said. Typical of theists. Zero evidence of claims. You are just a liar like Curious.

And do you think you are not arrogant by claiming we are wrong?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120021 Dec 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And many gods were invented after your Jesus.
No, we cannot all be correct. "known fact" claims your church is false. Catholics claim your church is false. Mormons claim your church is false. Muslims claim your church is false. Hindu's claim your church is false. They all believe theirs is the one true church. And this concept causes much holy war and strife. No god comes down to settle the disputes. He just lets the wars go on and on. You guys keep claiming he is coming, but of course it never happens. It is an empty promise.
It is clear to me, they are all fabricated stories. I could be wrong, but evidence does not show you are correct.
Here is the post in question. No "therefore" to be seen.
I conclude the religions are false for a verity of reasons. I do not conclude it based upon the disagreements between them.
And I even conceded I could be wrong. Now that is far less arrogant than the Christians here.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#120022 Dec 30, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you missed the post where I said that was a typo..... I meant to type Abraham

I notice that you failed to acknowledge the points I made, just went for your typical blather of trying to insult.

As usual you post comments w/out proof, perhaps it's you who is on a permanent acid trip.
Your post of pure nonsense fits the bill perfectly.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120026 Dec 30, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Not being alive never stopped Moses.
After all, he's credited with writing books after he died.
Hehehe

You are not alive ,you are not dead , you never existed .
You are a figment of the imagination of some insane malcontent....LOL

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120032 Dec 30, 2013
Curious wrote:
One Solitary Life
He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty
He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself
He was only thirty three
His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth
When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend
Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life
And this shows a difference between unicorns and Jesus. None of what you said means the Jesus is god, or the son of god.
I see your criteria is a popularity contest as is with "known fact". Popular does not make right.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#120033 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
No that is why he sent his Son to die and pay the sin debt for all Humanity.
God is Holy
To be blunt: that doesn't make any sense.

"Sin debt" is a purely fabricated concept. God could wish it out of existence the same way he wished it into existence. The same is true of Hell. Only a sick, sadistic deity would create it in the first place.

Location hidden

#120034 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you that is a stupid question. Read Exodus 20 the 10 Commandments
Thou shall not murder.
It wasn't a stupid question. God regularly commands -and commits- murder in the Old Testament.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120035 Dec 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Their are no real problems with unicorn believers.God believers on the other hand are demanding the known sciences of the day to be removed from schools,insist the bible be taught on the government dime, and some even fly planes into buildings. Now if unicorn believers start doing these harmful things to society, I will speak more on that topic.
I have explained this many times to you, yet you still do not compute.
Well , it is true. You have posted that same excuse on numerous occassions , I didn't buy it then and i'm not buying it now.
And I'll tell you why.
You have been posting the same nonsensicam arguments long before I got here , probably right after this thread opened up.
What have you accomplished ? Nothing , by your own admission , you do not believe that you have deconverted anyone , therefore ,it is highly unlikely that you have changed anyone's mind , regarding their stance on whether Bible studies should be permitted in public Schools in Kentucky.
Of those who post on this thread , which are few in numbers , many don't even live in Kentucky.
So , why do you keep on posting? What are you accomplishing?
By any standard ,you have failed in your objectives , not only you,but also the other Atheists who post here.
You waste a large part of each day in accomplishing nothing. That makes no sense.
I believe there is another motive , which I have not hesitated to express in the past and which I expressesd in the post to which you responded.
Deep down in their subconsciousness, many Atheists have serious doubts about their unbelief.
That would explain why many attend religious services on a regular basis , that would explain why 10% of Atheists claim to believe in a God , 8% believe in a heaven and why Atheists are organizing churches based on Christian tradition.
You can deny it , in the same manner that Atheists deny the problem of Suicide and depression that afflicts their community ,Nevertheless , denial of the facts does not invalidate the truth contained therein.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120036 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to be an Atheist therefore you claim all are Wrong. That is an arrogant claim
I think all religions are wrong, just as you think I am wrong and all others are wrong that are not like yourself. How is this different?

Location hidden

#120040 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
The wages of sin are death.
Repeating an arbitrary rule doesn't make it any less arbitrary. Or less ridiculous and cruel.

You wear the color yellow, you go to jail for 10 years.
Why?
The wage of yellow is imprisonment.

Location hidden

#120041 Dec 30, 2013
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religion too, do you think Atheism is also wrong?
Atheism is not a religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
barbourville street department seen on I75 7 min Winners 9
Sarah Hamilton 21 min in the click 7
lets go to florida 1 hr isolated incident 30
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 3 hr charles hebdo 697
Joshua vandusen 4 hr abuser 1
Same ole Gary and Bonita Williams 6 hr Bhs student 14
Missing Dogs 10 hr Please Hep 2
Hampton Funeral Home Question? 15 hr GM Retired 8
dinky phipps 16 hr shamed 28
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]