Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148177 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#119689 Dec 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Jim Jones - Christian leader. Just don't drink the Kool-Aid.
Yea, Christmas dinner at the Jones's would be a really nerve racking shindig...
Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#119690 Dec 27, 2013
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your mission is to recruit for your church and not answer questions. After 40 or 50 years as a JW you claim not to understand what I'm talking about. Maybe you should qualify that is your interest and not to answer any atheist questions. You goal is to recruit and have evolution thrown out of schools is it not?
Have you tried LDS.org ? They will give you a bible study free and answer all your questions.
Dear "spaceship",
I have stated many times if the Bible cannot be studied in public schools then neither should evolution be taught. But that is just me and I don't have anything to do with it. It is not my goal to have evolution thrown out of school.
Yes I have tried LDS.org . I will say this if they promoted the TRUTH from God's word the Bible they would be Jehovah's Witnesses see Jesus words at John 8 31,32 and consider what the Apostle Paul said at 2 Timothy 3:16,17
No I am not a recruiter! My assignment is recorded at Matthew 28:19,20 and Matthew 24:14.
I will post some information for you and you can make the comparison:
Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#119691 Dec 27, 2013
Dear "spaceship[",
How can a person know which religion is right?
(1) On what are its teachings based? Are they from God, or are they largely from men?(2 Tim. 3:16; Mark 7:7) Ask, for example: Where does the Bible teach that God is a Trinity? Where does it say that the human soul is immortal?
(2) Consider whether it is making known the name of God. Jesus said in prayer to God:“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.”(John 17:6) He declared:“It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.”(Matt. 4:10) Has your religion taught you that ‘it is Jehovah you must worship’? Have you come to know the Person identified by that name—his purposes, his activities, his qualities—so that you feel you can confidently draw close to him?
(3) Is true faith in Jesus Christ being demonstrated? This involves appreciation of the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ human life and of his position today as heavenly King.(John 3:36; Ps. 2:6-8) Such appreciation is shown by obeying Jesus—sharing personally and zealously in the work that he assigned to his followers. True religion has such faith that is accompanied by works.—Jas. 2:26.
(4) Is it largely ritualistic, a formality, or is it a way of life? God strongly disapproves of religion that is merely a formalism.(Isa. 1:15-17) True religion upholds the Bible’s standard of morality and clean speech instead of weakly going along with popular trends.(1 Cor. 5:9-13; Eph. 5:3-5) Its members reflect the fruits of God’s spirit in their lives.(Gal. 5:22, 23) So, those who adhere to true worship can be identified because they sincerely endeavor to apply Bible standards in their lives not only at their places of meeting but in their family life, at their secular work, in school, and in recreation.
(5) Do its members truly love one another? Jesus said:“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”(John 13:35) Such love reaches across racial, social, and national boundaries, drawing people together in genuine brotherhood. So strong is this love that it sets them apart as being truly different. When the nations go to war, who have enough love for their Christian brothers in other lands that they refuse to take up arms and kill them? That is what early Christians did.
(6) Is it truly separate from the world? Jesus said that his true followers would be “no part of the world.”(John 15:19) To worship God in a manner that he approves requires that we keep ourselves “without spot from the world.”(Jas. 1:27) Can that be said of those whose clergy and other members are involved in politics, or whose lives are largely built around materialistic and fleshly desires?—1 John 2:15-17.
(7) Are its members active witnesses concerning God’s Kingdom? Jesus foretold:“This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”(Matt. 24:14) What religion is really proclaiming God’s Kingdom as the hope of mankind instead of encouraging people to look to human rulership to solve their problems? Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matt. 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.

Now I can ask you...how does the LDS measure up? You Decide.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#119692 Dec 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I guess the bubble you live in cannot comprehend the fact, many of us see these people as less than harmless to society.
Most of the Christians here are on a mission to put the known sciences of the day out of the public classroom. HARMFUL!!!
And just why are you demanding we stop talking about it? Control freak.
Your hatred, oblivion and intolerance of anything different from what you opine, is toxic.
tea tea

Ashburn, VA

#119693 Dec 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I would offer that Mahatma Gandhi, Moe Howard and John Sousa love you, but they are dead.
Jesus died, too.:-(
its alive and well in me. gods light. put a small candle in a pitch dark, room, light the candle, the darkness flees,
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#119694 Dec 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I enjoy looking at them also. I just find it so curious the people do it with no understanding of the tradition.
And if someone wants to put up a nativity scene, fine, just don't try and shove it in my face, or put it on the land I pay for. Yet this is exactly what so many keep doing. And they wonder why I keep bitching about their god. They make it my business.
There's plenty of people, of many different races, creeds and colors that realize the origins of customary traditions.
That is NOT anything extraordinary, or unique.

You just refuse to acknowledge that fact.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#119695 Dec 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Is that what you were going ballistic about?
First, I was not talking about one post, I was talking about every post you write.
You go far beyond just trying to sort out truths. You write paragraph long insults. It only distracts from any truth you may have within.
"Kettle" Duquette, you can't be civil for even a sentence, towards anyone else that holds different points of view other than your own.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#119696 Dec 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you ask that Jesus fellow? It is his rule, not mine. I am simply pointing out who is following the rule of Jesus and who is not. I point to most all of the Jesus supporters here as not following that rule.
Personally, I see massive flaws in the rule. It is reason enough to determine Jesus does not have a perfect philosophy. Absolute rules as such are rarely, if ever good philosophy.
Personally, I think there's a difference between "rules" and "ethics".

And some of us don't need others to "point anything out" for us, as many of us have no problem what so ever-thinking and forming opinions for and of our OWN selves, independently.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#119697 Dec 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The good God Fearing Christian folk thank Jesus for their meal and then over dessert they blame the Godless atheist liberal givverment scum if a homeless family eats at all.
Far more pleasant is the gentle state of gratitude, than the negative whine of attitude.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#119698 Dec 27, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Dear "spaceship[",

The Christadelphians are a world-wide community of Bible students whose fellowship is based on a common understanding of the Scriptures.

Our name comes from Colossians 1:2: "to the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse...". In the original Greek, this phrase is "delphos en Christos", which was reordered into "Christadelphian".

We have no central organization telling us what to do and believe. Neither are we some fringe group following a charismatic leader or some internal text. Rather, we are tied together everywhere by our zeal for reading God's Holy scriptures and our understanding of His plan and purpose as He has revealed to everyone therein.

The Christadelphians believe that Jesus the Christ is the son of God, who came to fulfill the Old Testament promises and covenants of God with mankind, primarily the covenants with Eve, Abraham and David.

We believe that Jesus is a man, who was tried and tempted as we are, yet who resisted sin even till death. Three days later, the only true God, the Father raised him to eternal life, after which Christ ascended to his Father's side to await the appointed time of his return.

The Christadelphians embrace the hope of resurrection to eternal life at the return of Christ. We believe that this will take place soon. At that time the kingdom of God will be established from Jerusalem, growing to encompass the whole world, offering freedom, hope and salvation to all mankind. The people of Israel, as the literal descendants of Abraham, will have a special place in this kingdom.

The Christadelphians believe that salvation is attained through faith in Christ. It is through faith that we are baptized into Christ for forgiveness of sins, and thereby participate in the promises to Abraham: to inherit the earth forever.

Doctrinally, the Christadelphians are unique in Christendom in our understanding of the nature of Christ, and the way in which we are redeemed by his death. We reject as unbiblical the idea that Christ could die as a replacement sacrifice for us, thus covering all our sins forever with that one act. Certainly it is through his sacrifice that we may be forgiven, but only if we walk the path of self-denial that he marked out for us.

If you wish to know more about what we believe and preach, a detailed Statement of Faith is online. We also have a compiled list of the Commandments of Christ. You can also get in touch through e-mail, and we'll happily send you some material on any of the above topics.

How does that measure up to JW's , you decide?

http://www.christadelphia.org/belief.htm
god almighty

Keavy, KY

#119699 Dec 27, 2013
christmas is nothing more than a made up "holy" day used to reel in children who dont know any better than to beleive in superstition and magic .. the sooner it is completly out of schools and society the better.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119700 Dec 27, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, Christmas dinner at the Jones's would be a really nerve racking shindig...
Deconverting can be a mindblowing experience , in more ways than one.
You may experience suicidial tendencies or deep bouts of depression.
If you turn to an Atheist to help you deal with these new found maladies that you've never experienced , they will blow you offff.
If they talk to you about being set free and a better life
DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#119702 Dec 27, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one ,Again your blindness will not permit the truth to enter your deceived mind
Genesis 1:29-31
New International Version (NIV)
29 Then God said,“I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
Just what truth is here? I fully understand the reasons they give thanks to god, but I do not think god did any of this. Are you new here?
But thank for backing up my claim.
God did not plant and harvest the crops. Yet he gets all the credit and glory. God did not pay for the food to get on the table. Yet he gets all the glory.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119703 Dec 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
"Kettle" Duquette, you can't be civil for even a sentence, towards anyone else that holds different points of view other than your own.
I guess that is what it takes for you to sleep at night.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119704 Dec 27, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Dear "spaceship[",
(1) On what are its teachings based? Are they from God, or are they largely from men?(2 Tim. 3:16; Mark 7:7) Ask, for example: Where does the Bible teach that God is a Trinity? Where does it say that the human soul is immortal?
(2) Consider whether it is making known the name of God. Jesus said in prayer to God:“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.”(John 17:6) He declared:“It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.”(Matt. 4:10) Has your religion taught you that ‘it is Jehovah you must worship’? Have you come to know the Person identified by that name—his purposes, his activities, his qualities—so that you feel you can confidently draw close to him?
(3) Is true faith in Jesus Christ being demonstrated? This involves appreciation of the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ human life and of his position today as heavenly King.(John 3:36; Ps. 2:6-8) Such appreciation is shown by obeying Jesus—sharing personally and zealously in the work that he assigned to his followers. True religion has such faith that is accompanied by works.—Jas. 2:26.
(4) Is it largely ritualistic, a formality, or is it a way of life? God strongly disapproves of religion that is merely a formalism.(Isa. 1:15-17) True religion upholds the Bible’s standard of morality and clean speech instead of weakly going along with popular trends.(1 Cor. 5:9-13; Eph. 5:3-5) Its members reflect the fruits of God’s spirit in their lives.(Gal. 5:22, 23) So, those who adhere to true worship can be identified because they sincerely endeavor to apply Bible standards in their lives not only at their places of meeting but in their family life, at their secular work, in school, and in recreation.
(5) Do its members truly love one another? Jesus said:“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”(John 13:35) Such love reaches across racial, social, and national boundaries, drawing people together in genuine brotherhood. So strong is this love that it sets them apart as being truly different. When the nations go to war, who have enough love for their Christian brothers in other lands that they refuse to take up arms and kill them? That is what early Christians did.
(6) Is it truly separate from the world? Jesus said that his true followers would be “no part of the world.”(John 15:19) To worship God in a manner that he approves requires that we keep ourselves “without spot from the world.”(Jas. 1:27) Can that be said of those whose clergy and other members are involved in politics, or whose lives are largely built around materialistic and fleshly desires?—1 John 2:15-17.
(7) Are its members active witnesses concerning God’s Kingdom? Jesus foretold:“This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”(Matt. 24:14) What religion is really proclaiming God’s Kingdom as the hope of mankind instead of encouraging people to look to human rulership to solve their problems? Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matt. 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.
You keep skipping a critical step. How does one know which holy book is correct?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119705 Dec 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hatred, oblivion and intolerance of anything different from what you opine, is toxic.
So just because my opinion of science needing to be in public schools, and those that push for it to be removed are a danger to our civilized society, you call that intolerant? Do you know what the word means?
They are intolerant of science, yet you give them a pass.
Double standards betray you.
And "oblivion" does not work in that sentence. I think you need a dictionary.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119706 Dec 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
There's plenty of people, of many different races, creeds and colors that realize the origins of customary traditions.
That is NOT anything extraordinary, or unique.
You just refuse to acknowledge that fact.
Maybe you thought you were answering a different post, as this one does not apply.
Some do realize where traditions come from, and I never indicated some do not. So not sure why you just make shit up that I never said or implied? Guess you just have no logical rebuttal.
Fact is, most people have no idea the decorations of Christmas are of the heathens who celebrated yule. I am not so stupid as to use words like "all".
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119707 Dec 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Just what truth is here? I fully understand the reasons they give thanks to god, but I do not think god did any of this. Are you new here?
But thank for backing up my claim.
God did not plant and harvest the crops. Yet he gets all the credit and glory. God did not pay for the food to get on the table. Yet he gets all the glory.
We do not thank our God on the basis of what you think.

You are just a poor soul ,wandering through life aimlessly , believing that you were created by an unguided ,mindless process which you are unable to explain or understand.
Those who believe in such a process tend to live life accordingly , unguided and mindless.
They take pride in claiming monkeys as their ancestors and that they are of equal value to cockroaches and other vermin, as other Atheists have proclaimed.
Based on your faith , you have no thing to thank and nothing to be grateful for..
We ,who believe in God , do not share your faith , nor do you understand the basis for our beliefs.

Do not flatter yourself by claiming that I back your claim , far from it.
Only a fool could reach that self serving conclusion..........

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119708 Dec 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I think there's a difference between "rules" and "ethics".
And some of us don't need others to "point anything out" for us, as many of us have no problem what so ever-thinking and forming opinions for and of our OWN selves, independently.
Well if a god says "I tell you...." do you call it a rule or just an ethical suggestion?
Fact, billions think Jesus was a god. Who knows if they think for themselves? But it is clear, most Christians do not follow the statement in question.(turn the other cheek)
Maybe they are thinking for themselves, and this is why they do not follow it.

And of course you feel no need for anyone pointing things out to you, as you clearly feel you know it all.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119709 Dec 27, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one ,Again your blindness will not permit the truth to enter your deceived mind
Genesis 1:29-31
New International Version (NIV)
29 Then God said,“I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
So god made it, how? Magic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bus Garage 2 hr too funny 2
Miss you 5 hr MRH 2
Concert ticket 5 hr Your wife 2
Beer sales 5 hr Pegg 1
Hwy 229 motorcycle club 6 hr onethe wire 13
who got shot 9 hr curt 8
houses and apt for rent 12 hr oldschool 2
Bonita Williams BHS board member should RESIGN !!! 14 hr Bill 36
Tracebranch 19 hr From barbourville 17
Board Meeting Thu Marc 66