Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167789 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119133 Dec 18, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You can continue to spell consequences wrong all you wish. If doing so makes you feel better, I am sure you will just do it, no matter how it is proved wrong. It is your MO.
Stop your babbling and read what ANOTHER ATHEIST wrote regarding the huge benefits provided by those who believe in God and Christ
Added: Wednesday, 07 January 2009 at 7:00 PM
Reposted from:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/colu ...
Before Christmas I returned, after 45 years, to the country that as a boy I knew as Nyasaland. Today it's Malawi, and The Times Christmas Appeal includes a small British charity working there. Pump Aid helps rural communities to install a simple pump, letting people keep their village wells sealed and clean. I went to see this work.
It inspired me, renewing my flagging faith in development charities. But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I've been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I've been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.
Now a confirmed atheist, I've become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts. These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do. In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good.
I used to avoid this truth by applauding - as you can - the practical work of mission churches in Africa. It's a pity, I would say, that salvation is part of the package, but Christians black and white, working in Africa, do heal the sick, do teach people to read and write; and only the severest kind of secularist could see a mission hospital or school and say the world would be better without it. I would allow that if faith was needed to motivate missionaries to help, then, fine: but what counted was the help, not the faith.
But this doesn't fit the facts. Faith does more than support the missionary; it is also transferred to his flock. This is the effect that matters so immensely, and which I cannot help observing.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119134 Dec 18, 2013
spaceship wrote:
Sistaofdoublestandards kissing ass with the relies and flying overhead like a vulture looking for what he/she thinks is a easy meal and in the meantime puking nonsense.
And you,demonstrating your so called high intellect,which is nonexistent at best,as attested by the fact that you keep spouting much gibberish and nonsense from the planet youranus,located somewhere in Death Valley , California.
Read the following article expressing the beliefs of your fellow Atheist, where he praises Christianity and condems the Atheists's lack of concern for his fellow man.

Since the publication of his biography of William and Catherine Booth, Roy Hattersley has written further ( http://textualities.net/author/roy-hattersley ...) of the positive influence of Christian evangelists:“My view of society is very different from that which was held by Booth and [John] Wesley.

I am an atheist. But that does not prevent me from admiring the strength of their different convictions. Nor did it stop me from realising the crucial part that Wesley’s ‘respectable’ Christianity played in the development of modern Britain.” For more on the positive effects of the Wesley/Whitfield revivals, see Anti-slavery activist William Wilberforce and A Tale of Four Countries.
“I don’t think the Salvation Army is remotely in danger of running out of steam. And I think it remains a vibrant organization because of its convictions. I’m an atheist. But I can only look with amazement at the devotion of the Salvation Army workers. I’ve been out with them on the streets and seen the way they work amongst the people, the most deprived and disadvantaged and sometimes pretty repugnant characters. I don’t believe they would do that were it not for the religious impulse. And I often say I never hear of atheist organizations taking food to the poor.

You don’t hear of ‘Atheist Aid’ rather like Christian aid, and, I think, despite my inability to believe myself, I’m deeply impressed by what belief does for people like the Salvation Army.”
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#119135 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
And you,demonstrating your so called high intellect,which is nonexistent at best,as attested by the fact that you keep spouting much gibberish and nonsense from the planet youranus,located somewhere in Death Valley , California.
Read the following article expressing the beliefs of your fellow Atheist, where he praises Christianity and condems the Atheists's lack of concern for his fellow man.
Since the publication of his biography of William and Catherine Booth, Roy Hattersley has written further ( http://textualities.net/author/roy-hattersley ...) of the positive influence of Christian evangelists:“My view of society is very different from that which was held by Booth and [John] Wesley.
I am an atheist. But that does not prevent me from admiring the strength of their different convictions. Nor did it stop me from realising the crucial part that Wesley’s ‘respectable’ Christianity played in the development of modern Britain.” For more on the positive effects of the Wesley/Whitfield revivals, see Anti-slavery activist William Wilberforce and A Tale of Four Countries.
“I don’t think the Salvation Army is remotely in danger of running out of steam. And I think it remains a vibrant organization because of its convictions. I’m an atheist. But I can only look with amazement at the devotion of the Salvation Army workers. I’ve been out with them on the streets and seen the way they work amongst the people, the most deprived and disadvantaged and sometimes pretty repugnant characters. I don’t believe they would do that were it not for the religious impulse. And I often say I never hear of atheist organizations taking food to the poor.
You don’t hear of ‘Atheist Aid’ rather like Christian aid, and, I think, despite my inability to believe myself, I’m deeply impressed by what belief does for people like the Salvation Army.”
pfft. prattler.
SistaNoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119136 Dec 18, 2013
spaceship wrote:
Sistaofdoublestandards kissing ass with the relies and flying overhead like a vulture looking for what he/she thinks is a easy meal and in the meantime puking nonsense.
Envy IS a psychoTic sickeness. So are delusions.

Seek professional help, loser freak.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119137 Dec 18, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First, you act as if this study you keep referring to is spot on. You constantly demean all studies of science, until you find one that suits your purposes. How convenient.
And if someone realizes the god they were told is real for all their lives is a fraud, seems to me the people who convinced them of the false god should have some blame here if it causes some psychological trauma. Kind of like when kids find out Santa is a lie. It is psychologically traumatic for some.
I always advocate learning some other philosophies to people new to atheism. So in a sense, I am warning them the new realities can be traumatic. I recall being very specific about this to a few new to atheism or agnosticism.
None of this means atheism is bad, it simply means it is different than what the person is used to. Different can always be traumatic. Hell, reality can be traumatic. It is why so many wish to stay in the delusion of religion.
Dukett wrote;None of this means atheism is bad, it simply means it is different than what the person is used to. Different can always be traumatic.

Let us look at the effects of deconverting , according to an Atheist Activist , Staak Rosch.
I already posted the entire article..
Here are some excerpts

Atheism Has A Suicide Problem About a year ago a friend of mine died. He was the first person I take credit for de-converting away from theism to atheism. While I can’t say for certain that his death was suicide, I can’t rule it out. It has also been about four months now since the death of Humanist activist and friend Joe Fox. Joe was the reason I became the head of PhillyCoR and while he seemed like the happiest person you could know and was always there for anyone who needed help, he apparently secretly struggled with depression. I also have another friend who recently de-converted and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the reality that God doesn’t exist. While I don’t think he is suicidal, I would be surprised if he didn’t think about it at times. This is something we don’t like to admit, but it is true. There is a problem within the atheist community of depression and suicide.-

Then there is the transition period in which an atheist has just left religion and feels completely lost. They are often without the community they have depended on for so long and suffer from the existential questions of life for the first time. They were often used to the belief that God is with them everywhere and now they know that it was all false. So they feel really lonely and even angry that they have been lied to all their lives. We have to do better. Atheists don’t have to suffer alone

Says I,Fact is,according to Rosch,that Atheism has led those who deconvert into a situation where they will become depressed and suicidial. What the hell do you find to be good about that?
Then Rosch attempts to justify his position by claiming that
" They were often used to the belief that God is with them everywhere and now they know that it was all false"
That is a lie , they don't know that it was all false, they have been conned into believing it was false.
All in order to impose their beliefs on unsuspecting victims.
One has to wonder how many people would deconvert if they were told beforehand that their decision may lead them to commit suicide , be gripped by depression and the other maladies afficting Atheism.
Let us look at this issue from another point of view
If I were an Atheist and a Christian attempted to convert me and informed me that my decision may cause all the abovementioned maladies , I would remain an Atheist.
Why would I want to convert to a Faith that would heap misery and pain on me and my family.
Of course , that is not what Christianity is based on,as we all know.
When one converts to Christianity one is filled with joy and happiness , not depresssion,anger and the intent to commit suicide.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119138 Dec 18, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Envy IS a psychoTic sickeness. So are delusions.
Seek professional help, loser freak.
Sista ,Spaceship is in the unenviable position of having no one to turn to for help, unless he turns to a religious Organization to bail him out of the disastrous Faith he has chosen.
Atheists provide no support for those who unsuspectingly fall prey to their deceptive schemes.
They merely attempt to deconvert and if succesful,the poor victim is left hanging out to dry and fend for himself best he can.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119139 Dec 18, 2013
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
pfft. prattler.
LOL And to think that Witchetty claimed to have learned much from the"inyelligent Atheists" on this website ,when, with each posting they demonstrate their ignorance Oxymoron LOL
I attempted to look up the meaning of pfft.
There is no such word, that nonphrase is known to be used by those with an exceptionally limited vocabulary in order to express themselves in an unintelligible form.
Poor Witchetty , her search for knowledge has led her to seek out and rely on those who are even more ignorant than she is.
BTW , Here are a few more nonwords that you can add to that limited vocabulary of yours.
Sntd, nxzg,gtlm and xltp....I'll e mail you some more as soon as the baby starts gurgling again. LOL El Stupido
Perhaps you should refrain from going out in the sun,seems the heat might be shrivelling up what little remains of your brain after the Atheists got through with ya Yikes
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#119140 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL And to think that Witchetty claimed to have learned much from the"inyelligent Atheists" on this website ,when, with each posting they demonstrate their ignorance Oxymoron LOL
I attempted to look up the meaning of pfft.
There is no such word, that nonphrase is known to be used by those with an exceptionally limited vocabulary in order to express themselves in an unintelligible form.
Poor Witchetty , her search for knowledge has led her to seek out and rely on those who are even more ignorant than she is.
BTW , Here are a few more nonwords that you can add to that limited vocabulary of yours.
Sntd, nxzg,gtlm and xltp....I'll e mail you some more as soon as the baby starts gurgling again. LOL El Stupido
Perhaps you should refrain from going out in the sun,seems the heat might be shrivelling up what little remains of your brain after the Atheists got through with ya Yikes
PFFT is "Expression of dismissal", dumb ass.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119141 Dec 18, 2013
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
No,dingleberry , PFFT is a word used by those whom ,because ,having no knowledge of vowels are forced to speak in consonant form.
Pssssst ,shshsh ,hmmmmmand zzzzzzzz are some of their most intelligent words.
Not one to deny you the privilige of enhancing you vocabulary , let me give you some advanced words you can work on.
Ta Ta ,DaDa,NaNa OOOh Ni NaNa Na Na Noo NOO

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#119142 Dec 18, 2013
“When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”

~Desmond Tutu~
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119143 Dec 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
“When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”
~Desmond Tutu~
Desmond Tutu
"Surely it is good to know that God (in the Christian tradition) created us all (not just Christians) in his image, thus investing us all with infinite worth, and that it was with all humankind that God entered into a covenant relationship, depicted in the covenant with Noah when God promised he would not destroy his creation again with water. Surely we can rejoice that the eternal word, the Logos of God, enlightens everyone -- not just Christians, but everyone who comes into the world; that what we call the Spirit of God is not a Christian preserve, for the Spirit of God existed long before there were Christians, inspiring and nurturing women and men in the ways of holiness, bringing them to fruition, bringing to fruition what was best in all. We do scant justice and honor to our God if we want, for instance, to deny that Mahatma Gandhi was a truly great soul, a holy man who walked closely with God. Our God would be too small if he was not also the God of Gandhi: if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God of all his people, whether they acknowledge him as such or not. God does not need us to protect him. Many of us perhaps need to have our notion of God deepened and expanded. It is often said, half in jest, that God created man in his own image and man has returned the compliment, saddling God with his own narrow prejudices and exclusivity, foibles and temperamental quirks. God remains God, whether God has worshippers or not."

Cambridge, UK

#119144 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Desmond Tutu
"Surely it is good to know that God (in the Christian tradition) created us all (not just Christians) in his image, thus investing us all with infinite worth, and that it was with all humankind that God entered into a covenant relationship, depicted in the covenant with Noah when God promised he would not destroy his creation again with water. Surely we can rejoice that the eternal word, the Logos of God, enlightens everyone -- not just Christians, but everyone who comes into the world; that what we call the Spirit of God is not a Christian preserve, for the Spirit of God existed long before there were Christians, inspiring and nurturing women and men in the ways of holiness, bringing them to fruition, bringing to fruition what was best in all. We do scant justice and honor to our God if we want, for instance, to deny that Mahatma Gandhi was a truly great soul, a holy man who walked closely with God. Our God would be too small if he was not also the God of Gandhi: if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God of all his people, whether they acknowledge him as such or not. God does not need us to protect him. Many of us perhaps need to have our notion of God deepened and expanded. It is often said, half in jest, that God created man in his own image and man has returned the compliment, saddling God with his own narrow prejudices and exclusivity, foibles and temperamental quirks. God remains God, whether God has worshippers or not."
I wonder if, like you, he approves of slavery.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119145 Dec 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if, like you, he approves of slavery.
Desmond Tutu
if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God of all his people, whether they acknowledge him as such or not.
God does not need us to protect him. Many of us perhaps need to have our notion of God deepened and expanded. It is often said, half in jest, that God created man in his own image and man has returned the compliment, saddling God with his own narrow prejudices and exclusivity, foibles and temperamental quirks. God remains God, whether God has worshippers or not."

Cambridge, UK

#119146 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
God entered into a covenant relationship, depicted in the covenant with Noah when God promised he would not destroy his creation again with water.
What's so great about that?

So your god said he won't destroy his creation with water?

Big deal.

Why?

Because the bible tells us that he will be destroying his creation with fire.

Cambridge, UK

#119147 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Desmond Tutu
if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God of all his people, whether they acknowledge him as such or not.
God does not need us to protect him. Many of us perhaps need to have our notion of God deepened and expanded. It is often said, half in jest, that God created man in his own image and man has returned the compliment, saddling God with his own narrow prejudices and exclusivity, foibles and temperamental quirks. God remains God, whether God has worshippers or not."
Your god doesn't need anyone to protect him?

Well he sure seems to need millions of believers to speak for him.

Cambridge, UK

#119148 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Desmond Tutu
By the way, the bible says that your god is jealous.

Jealousy is a weakness.

If you're one of those who believe that the bible is the inerrant word of your god then it looks like your god has saddled himself with narrow prejudices.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119149 Dec 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, the bible says that your god is jealous.
Jealousy is a weakness.
If you're one of those who believe that the bible is the inerrant word of your god then it looks like your god has saddled himself with narrow prejudices.
if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God OF ALL HIS PEOPLE, whether they acknowledge him as such or not.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119150 Dec 18, 2013
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
I take "PFFT" as declining to correct the butthead yet again on what he's ignored umpteen times before.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#119151 Dec 18, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
How can a person know which religion is right?
(1) On what are its teachings based? Are they from God, or are they largely from men?(2 Tim. 3:16; Mark 7:7) Ask, for example: Where does the Bible teach that God is a Trinity? Where does it say that the human soul is immortal?
(2) Consider whether it is making known the name of God. Jesus said in prayer to God:“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.”(John 17:6) He declared:“It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.”(Matt. 4:10) Has your religion taught you that ‘it is Jehovah you must worship’? Have you come to know the Person identified by that name—his purposes, his activities, his qualities—so that you feel you can confidently draw close to him?
(3) Is true faith in Jesus Christ being demonstrated? This involves appreciation of the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ human life and of his position today as heavenly King.(John 3:36; Ps. 2:6-8) Such appreciation is shown by obeying Jesus—sharing personally and zealously in the work that he assigned to his followers. True religion has such faith that is accompanied by works.—Jas. 2:26.
(4) Is it largely ritualistic, a formality, or is it a way of life? God strongly disapproves of religion that is merely a formalism.(Isa. 1:15-17) True religion upholds the Bible’s standard of morality and clean speech instead of weakly going along with popular trends.(1 Cor. 5:9-13; Eph. 5:3-5) Its members reflect the fruits of God’s spirit in their lives.(Gal. 5:22, 23) So, those who adhere to true worship can be identified because they sincerely endeavor to apply Bible standards in their lives not only at their places of meeting but in their family life, at their secular work, in school, and in recreation.
(5) Do its members truly love one another? Jesus said:“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”(John 13:35) Such love reaches across racial, social, and national boundaries, drawing people together in genuine brotherhood. So strong is this love that it sets them apart as being truly different. When the nations go to war, who have enough love for their Christian brothers in other lands that they refuse to take up arms and kill them? That is what early Christians did.
(6) Is it truly separate from the world? Jesus said that his true followers would be “no part of the world.”(John 15:19) To worship God in a manner that he approves requires that we keep ourselves “without spot from the world.”(Jas. 1:27) Can that be said of those whose clergy and other members are involved in politics, or whose lives are largely built around materialistic and fleshly desires?—1 John 2:15-17.
(7) Are its members active witnesses concerning God’s Kingdom? Jesus foretold:“This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”(Matt. 24:14) What religion is really proclaiming God’s Kingdom as the hope of mankind instead of encouraging people to look to human rulership to solve their problems? Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matt. 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.
You skipped the critical step in determining what religion to chose. You forgot to explain why the holy book you cite is the correct holy book.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119152 Dec 18, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
if God is one, as we believe, then he is the only God OF ALL HIS PEOPLE, whether they acknowledge him as such or not.
What you believe is irrelevant to what is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer young and roe Gibson 2 hr Jennifer 9
Brian Carpenter 5 hr Trashy 4
Homes for sale 5 hr Yes 9
Knox County Jailer?? 5 hr Hmm 32
Knox Central Cafeteria Food 10 hr ICorrectedTheProblem 58
Crimanals 12 hr Nuts 2
Homeless methheads 12 hr Nuts 6

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance