Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149916 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#118730 Dec 11, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"But until you pull it out and count it you cannot Know it.."
That is ludicrous!!!!
Do you know the name of the first girl you kissed?
Can you provide proof???
Could I know her name without you telling me???
No!
You cannot tell me what I "KNOW"....
Yes, Sheila Campbell ....

Yes she lives a few miles away and Any one could Verify that felt it important..

No you could not and I would not expect you to Believe me without said evidence...

It's a matter of the claim made... You of course don't understand but you only Believe in your own personal self image of God and the Next guy that Believes in his own personal God has a different self created view of what that God is and his attributes as can be seen by the 1000's of differing churches, denominations and religions..

Your argument fails when we speak of coins in your pocket when you add 1000 other people with coins in their pockets and each say I have a buck forty two, Everyone of them claims the same amount in the pocket but each have different numbers of coins, none actually counting their own coins or seeking to count the coins in the others pockets.. Then when one does pull them out to count they find no coins to count... So they shove the hand back in the pocket and scream Believe me I have $1.42 ...

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#118732 Dec 11, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with lodi. The term "god" means different things to different people.
"God" as a field of energy which comprises everything is not the same as "god" being Yahweh.
As you say, a confused Christian will only see "god" as the Judeo-Christian Yahweh, but a person who is trying to broaden their concept of a "god" might concieve it as something like "the Force" from Star Wars.
A survey is only as good as the quality of the questions asked.
Fair point.

I accept that "god" is whatever people want to make it.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118733 Dec 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you "don't need no stinkin' esplanations..."
no evidence, no logic, no reason, no data, no nuthn'. Just feelings and "certainty" based on those feelings.
You ,like ,Dukett, have read my reasons for believing in an uncausable cause. You are either ignorannt or pleading ignorance in order not to have to deal with my belief in such.
To deny my belief, you both would have to explain how it is possible for nonintelligence,nonlife and nonconciousness to create that which it does not possees and has no way of even being aware of the possibility that those properties can exist
The effect can not be greater than the cause.
You have to keep running away from that for which youj have no plausible explanation or for that matter,have no explanation at all, other than , in a few million years ,Science may come up with a solution.
Science has made some great accomplishments,put a man on the moon andbrought him back , placed a machine on Mars that can send pictures of that planet back to Earth , sent a spaceship that has travelled outside of ou the Universe , global internet ,mechanical heart , heart implants and the list goes on.
With all the latest in technological knowledge and instruments they are yet unable to create the simplest of life forms and are nowhere nearer to creating intelligence ,life or consciousness , by natural or any other means.
One can beg for more time and have the faith and hope that the formula can be found.
Obviously there is a formula and as far as I can believe, that formula rests with God ,not to be found in nature or by accidental means.

Cambridge, UK

#118734 Dec 11, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, so simple.
All one has to do is put your reason and sanity aside, be ready to ACCEPT a delusion,and sure enough, you'll find one!
"Oh look! That cloud looks just like Jesus!
It must be a SIGN that I should believe!"
Ewwww....
Meet the the incredible shrinking god:

"Seems to me that Christians worship the incredible shrinking god. I mean at one time it was supposedly capable of flinging thousands of billions of galaxies into existence with a mere thought. By the time of Noah, it was reduced to flooding an insignificant speck in the cosmos.

"By the time of Moses, its best trick was moving a tiny portion of a minor sea aside for a short while. By the time of Jesus, it has to send a delegate on its behalf who leaves behind only rumours that he was able to turn water into another beverage, or render himself extra buoyant.

"Now it counts as a miracle if a water stain grows mould that kind of looks like a bearded face which could be claimed to resemble this supposed delegate. How much more pathetic can this god get? How do Christians manage to sing praises of its glory and greatness without feeling like fools--or at best, like new parents gushing over their toddler's ability to make a pee." - Kronk
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118735 Dec 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
You can really feel the seething hatred in this post.
It practically radiates intolerance and bigotry.
Ain't that a kick where the sun don't shine. You can feel the
supposed hatred in what I post and I can see the real and voluminous ignorance in what you post.
Your Atheist faith has mangled your mind as it is not computing.
Call your nearest janitorial service and have it rewired.
LOL

Cambridge, UK

#118736 Dec 11, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I fully understand your position, and was never confused on your position. What did I say that shows I do not understand?
I simply disagree killing is just punishment for such a violation.
My reasons are consistent with what American law sees as moral.
You have yet to show why I am being unreasonable.
I think you are being unreasonable because your position is in defiance of what the laws of this land are. It is in defiance of what America sees as most cherished, freedom of worship.
America takes the risk of having varied religious worship. We were attacked on 9/11 for this reason, in part. It is always a risk, and or some reason, you feel the Moses people should be without risk.
Some countries do not respect the freedom to worship, just as your bible story does not. Most people in America call these countries, unjust and immoral for not allowing religious freedom.
I get it, you feel your god gets a pass and does not need be moral as we see it here in America. Well I do not give your mythical being any passes. An unjust position is an unjust position.
In the warped and twisted world of curious' morality - whatever his god says, goes.

If his god suddenly announced that good was evil and evil was good, curious would follow suit in an instant.

Cambridge, UK

#118737 Dec 11, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I fully understand your position, and was never confused on your position. What did I say that shows I do not understand?
I simply disagree killing is just punishment for such a violation.
My reasons are consistent with what American law sees as moral.
You have yet to show why I am being unreasonable.
I think you are being unreasonable because your position is in defiance of what the laws of this land are. It is in defiance of what America sees as most cherished, freedom of worship.
America takes the risk of having varied religious worship. We were attacked on 9/11 for this reason, in part. It is always a risk, and or some reason, you feel the Moses people should be without risk.
Some countries do not respect the freedom to worship, just as your bible story does not. Most people in America call these countries, unjust and immoral for not allowing religious freedom.
I get it, you feel your god gets a pass and does not need be moral as we see it here in America. Well I do not give your mythical being any passes. An unjust position is an unjust position.
Nicely put.

If our courts started handing out the sort of sentences and sanctions in the Bible, curious would think out lawmakers were insane.

Yet when his god dictates the same punishments he sees it as an act of transcendent love.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Cambridge, UK

#118738 Dec 11, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't that a kick where the sun don't shine. You can feel the
supposed hatred in what I post and I can see the real and voluminous ignorance in what you post.
Your Atheist faith has mangled your mind as it is not computing.
Call your nearest janitorial service and have it rewired.
LOL
Supposed hatred?

Claiming that it was good to kill people sounds like hatred to me.

Mind you, I know that you Christians have some pretty weird ideas about perfect love.

I know that you believe perfect love involves the creation of a gigantic torture chamber and stocking it with demons. Then putting people in that chamber against their will and subjecting them to all sorts of obscene agonies.

Tell me more about your perfect love
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118739 Dec 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair point.
I accept that "god" is whatever people want to make it.
Hey Krack , You and Witchetty are trying desperately and by any means,to explain the confused state of mind afflicting Atheists.
The study by Pew Research clearly indicates that 21% of Atheists believe in God and, if memory serves me correctly , 10% believe there is a heaven.
To now try to invent a new meaning for that which all understand the word God signifies , as Witchetty is attempting to do , attests to the low moral standards I have attributed to you , attempting to justify your faith by any unscrupulous means possible.
If one does not believe in any Gods ,it means precisely that,
One can not then claim that there is some self newly minted meaning of God in order to squirm out of the predicament that Atheists have created.
Moreover , your theory is based on Cacafuego,BS.
You and Witchetty are 2 rancid nuts inhabiting a crushed shell.
Your theory is about as valid as someone stating that" Rocks are afflicted by permanent constipation because they've never been known to have a bowel movement...

Witchetty wrote
(I have to agree with lodi. The term "god" means different things to different people.
"God" as a field of energy which comprises everything is not the same as "god" being Yahweh.
As you say, a confused Christian will only see "god" as the Judeo-Christian Yahweh, but a person who is trying to broaden their concept of a "god" might concieve it as something like "the Force" from Star Wars.)

Says I, Your statement that they may have been trying to broaden
their concept of God , may be partially correct.
They broadened their concept of God to the extent that they went from unbelief in God to belief in God

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118740 Dec 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
In the warped and twisted world of curious' morality - whatever his god says, goes.
If his god suddenly announced that good was evil and evil was good, curious would follow suit in an instant.
What do you mean "if"? According to the myth, almost the first thing the YHWH did was to put knowledge of right and wrong off limits, then levied eternal punishment against every following generation of human for learning - and the It hasn't "revealed" a consistent message about morality since....
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118741 Dec 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Supposed hatred?
Claiming that it was good to kill people sounds like hatred to me.
Mind you, I know that you Christians have some pretty weird ideas about perfect love.
I know that you believe perfect love involves the creation of a gigantic torture chamber and stocking it with demons. Then putting people in that chamber against their will and subjecting them to all sorts of obscene agonies.
Tell me more about your perfect love
This torture chamber that you have imagined has been created as the permanent home for Atheists in the afterlife is quite incorrect and
you need not fear the imaginings of your chaotic mind
Remember that God said that "it is his desire that none should perish"
He will create a way to fulfill his desire as attested to by Our Lord Jesus.
When asked,Lord, who then can be saved>
He confidently and without hesistation stated,What is impossible to man , is possible to God

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118742 Dec 11, 2013
Jipijka m wrote:
<quoted text>all u have provided through out is your beliefs.
doesn't get much more traditional than that.
logic doesn't require an assignment of names to it; unless you're playing favorites. which you are.
This is an opinion forum, so yes, I am providing my beliefs. So?
Again, you fail to show my beliefs as invalid.

I guess your belief is, the whole world is wrong about using names to identify people, and you are the sole, correct human on the planet who refuses to abide by the norms of communication with other humans.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118743 Dec 11, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If religious freedom is a crime in your book, then your book is immoral. I do not care if you claim they agreed on it or not, it is still immoral.
Just as many agreements signed today are not worth the paper they are written upon.
If the people were endangered due to religious freedom, so what? If they cannot deal with religious freedom and the dangers it poses, then they are not worthy of much in my book, much less being helped by some god.
The problem proves your god is not capable of really helping them, or is fair and moral.
What it shows is, the story is of barbaric people who have yet to learn of what is good about religious freedom.
The things I hear from your crowd show me on a regular basis, they do not really understand religious freedom. I guess your barbaric book is not helping in this respect.
That,"your crowd" of which you make mention , necessarily includes your own parents , since Mormons and Catholics believe i n Moses and that which is written in the OT.
You would then agree with Kraktu's unscrupulous view that both I and your parents have no morals worth speaking of

this is what kraktu posted in reference to your posting

"Great post
Curious thinks that people who exercise freedom of religion warrant the death penalty.

He has no morals worth speaking of."

With sons like you , who needs enemies.
But, as you stated before , when I asked you if they knew that you had judged them as delusional and you responded ,as I remember that
"It did not matter ,since they would never see your postings"
You must be proud of yourself and Kraktu will no doubt , give you a pat on the back , as he feels the same way about his own parents.
Although,he will probably claim that they are Atheists and leave you holding the bag.....HYPOCRITES....
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#118744 Dec 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
20 Woe to those who call evil good
and good evil,
who put darkness for light
and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet
and sweet for bitter.
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
and clever in their own sight.
22 Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine
and champions at mixing drinks,
23 who acquit the guilty for a bribe,
but deny justice to the innocent.
24 Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw
and as dry grass sinks down in the flames,
so their roots will decay

This part caught my immediate attention
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
and clever in their own sight.

These are the ones who will lower their moral standards in accordance with their immoral and unscrupulous desires in order to claim that they have never done anything for which they need be ashamed. These are the ones who will claim that if you take a solemn oath , you need not abide by that oath ,making your word worthless. These are the ones that would claim that your signature to a contract can be rendered worthless at will and should not be held accountable for their actions.
These are the ones whom,based on their wisdom, will judge
their parents as being delusional.
Bear

Glasgow, KY

#118745 Dec 11, 2013
This is why I homeschool my kids. I don't want them to be a product of the christian brainwashing regime. That and Kentucky schools suck.

Cambridge, UK

#118746 Dec 11, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Krack , You and Witchetty are trying desperately and by any means,to explain the confused state of mind afflicting Atheists.
The study by Pew Research clearly indicates that 21% of Atheists believe in God and, if memory serves me correctly , 10% believe there is a heaven.
To now try to invent a new meaning for that which all understand the word God signifies , as Witchetty is attempting to do , attests to the low moral standards I have attributed to you , attempting to justify your faith by any unscrupulous means possible.
If one does not believe in any Gods ,it means precisely that,
One can not then claim that there is some self newly minted meaning of God in order to squirm out of the predicament that Atheists have created.
Moreover , your theory is based on Cacafuego,BS.
You and Witchetty are 2 rancid nuts inhabiting a crushed shell.
Your theory is about as valid as someone stating that" Rocks are afflicted by permanent constipation because they've never been known to have a bowel movement...
Witchetty wrote
(I have to agree with lodi. The term "god" means different things to different people.
As you say, a confused Christian will only see "god" as the Judeo-Christian Yahweh, but a person who is trying to broaden their concept of a "god" might concieve it as something like "the Force" from Star Wars.)
Says I, Your statement that they may have been trying to broaden
their concept of God , may be partially correct.
They broadened their concept of God to the extent that they went from unbelief in God to belief in God
You want to look at studies?

Check out the many studies that put the most religious nations at the bottom of the list for education, healthcare, quality of life, social equality, political freedom, equality for women, etc

The best countries?

Time and again it's the secular nations of Northern Europe, its New Zealand and Australia.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#118747 Dec 12, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean "from unbelief in Yahweh" to "belief in an impersonal natural concept that some would call a "god."

Two very different things.
The first has all the attributes of humankind. Yahweh is just a "superperson."
The second is abstract and impersonal...like Spinoza's god. This is the "god" of many scientists and thinkers.
ceridwen

Williamsburg, KY

#118748 Dec 12, 2013
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
For your edification I will quote a scripture that shows most if not all Christians will disagree with you. Evidence to show using the bible you quoted that you must be wrong in your thinking.
1 Corinthians 10:21 NKJV
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of demons: you cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of demons.
then i guess you better check to see who is in their cups.

Revelation 18:3
For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication(aka idolatry) with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

shake that?

Philippians 2:12
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,###work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.###

blasphemy against the true self cannot be forgiven in this lifetime or the palingenesis(regeneration) to come.

regeneration = metempsychosis

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/L...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118749 Dec 12, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
That is incorrect, because it isn't what his god "says", it's just what curious wants it to say. He does the same thing with scripture that he does with studies, surveys, ethics, blogs, posts....
nidar ros

Williamsburg, KY

#118750 Dec 12, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to look at studies?
Check out the many studies that put the most religious nations at the bottom of the list for education, healthcare, quality of life, social equality, political freedom, equality for women, etc
The best countries?
Time and again it's the secular nations of Northern Europe, its New Zealand and Australia.
gnosis is divine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The day I went to sign my dog "Julie" up for S.... 24 min Wow 2
Judge hall supports Kilgore 25e sign 37 min Moe larry and curly 29
Black guy called Peanut UC COLLEGE (Aug '15) 41 min Lol 136
Board of Education theft 46 min Nope 2
Della peters and James Earl (Jun '10) 1 hr rero14 10
DemocRATS or ISIS which is a greater threat to ... 1 hr Whatacrock 64
Beer 2 hr Flunk out 10

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance