Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 153588 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#118631 Dec 10, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one point... You Believe, You do not Know....
Just one point... Who are you to tell me what I know, or not?
Are you a god? No!
You cannot even tell me how many coins I have in my pocket, let alone the denominations!
Yet you want to ascribe an attribute to yourself of a being
you deny... how special!
I know God is real, and you will too!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#118632 Dec 10, 2013
JonTron wrote:
god shoulnt be in schpols cuz he knos everything so he'll give everyone the ansers.
Be great if He'd teach you to spell correctly!
zmey gorynych

Williamsburg, KY

#118633 Dec 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not be so naive as to believe there is not pseudoscience peppered among scholarly institutions.
Consciousness, self awareness, imagination, intelligence, creativity, empathy, ego, id, superego, telepathy, precognition, telekinetics, clairvoyance, ghosts, souls, spirits, angels, gods... where does your yearning to learn stop and the yearning to imagine and believe begin?
Are we living in an illusion as in the Matrix? Do we bud, grow and become reabsorbed by a celestial overmind/community? Perhaps our realities are holographic and we exist in all time and all places - perhaps you are me and I am curious and we are everyone, role playing in a great loop. Maybe existence is fractal, and our 'being' is infinitely nested, nested, nested... Perhaps our awareness is the result of quantum effects, far beyond our knowledge and far beneath our scrutiny - or maybe 'thought' doesn't exist in this time/space at all, and only the effects bleed over to this dimension. Maybe I am not real, and you are the Dreamer of all in your Universe.
You can play the game of "what if" to your "hearts' content". I am disinterested.
science plays the game of what if; otherwise popular belief would be the norm. path finders don't sit on their laurels, popular belief, or their encultured, self-aggrandizing dogma.

i'm not interested in your idea of knowledge(science) either but that is obvious; otherwise you and i wouldn't disagree.

DUHhhhh
dragua

Williamsburg, KY

#118634 Dec 10, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You will have to be more specific.
Why am I here?
Here?....as in Alive? There is no reason or purpose. Life simply is.
Here?....as in a Topix chatroom discussing? It's fun and educational.
Btw, I am enjoying my Life.
There is more ...ummm, how to say it. I guess....EVERYTHING than I could ever have imagined.
So much to experience, to learn, to feel, to see, to do....
A hundred thousand lifetimes would not be enough to encompass it all.
Yet you waste your time desiring an imaginary existance.
You think you deserve better.
How sad.
life is full of choice, natural selection(choice)

form follows function.

thoughts are things. what you think u become.

most of your rant is mindless dithering as you waste away to nothing.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118635 Dec 10, 2013
Unktehila wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry but these near deaths were clinically dead. if we can't trust, western scientist to know what dead is, why should we trust them to know anything else?
http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_roth_suspended_...
http://labs.fhcrc.org/roth/
so we know that people can actually die and then some how be revivified and not lose any memory. in fact, they will experience memories that are more vivid than the one's experienced while conscious to this 3rd density reality.
this same principle can be done by advanced yogis and lamas using samadhi dhyana.
truth is stranger than ac clarke could ever imagine.
so a return from death is possible. western science has repeated what the eastern science has been doing for thousands of yrs. once the breath is suspended and oxygen is no longer available to the body. it goes into a suspended animation. a certain level of oxygen is needed by the body to dissolve.
your western science does it by introducing a chemical compound to the entity. eastern science does it by simply using the mind.
In the first place, you have not defined "death" and certainly have not reconciled it with NDEs.(I'm rather surprised that you haven't mentioned Eben Alexander.) Eastern mystics can go into trance states, but that is a reduced metabolism, not a cessation - brain activity does not halt. Roth is advocating research to improve techniques which are already employed in critical surgeries. That is not germane to your proposal that consciousness is independent of biology.

A creature that is in cryonic suspension does not evince any cognizance until they are reanimated, but during estivation, brain activity is measurable. My statement still stands unscathed.
You could make a pass at proposing that a complex enough computer array may one day "wake up", but as that has not yet known to have happened, it is still sci fi.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118636 Dec 10, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Isaiah 53, and John 3:16, Luke 2, just a couple!
So? Satan could easily have written those, and I could even provide reasons he would, had I any interest in doing so. I said prove me wrong.
balaur

Williamsburg, KY

#118637 Dec 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
In the first place, you have not defined "death" and certainly have not reconciled it with NDEs.(I'm rather surprised that you haven't mentioned Eben Alexander.) Eastern mystics can go into trance states, but that is a reduced metabolism, not a cessation - brain activity does not halt. Roth is advocating research to improve techniques which are already employed in critical surgeries. That is not germane to your proposal that consciousness is independent of biology.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hIGtLKxoFeAXX
A creature that is in cryonic suspension does not evince any cognizance until they are reanimated, but during estivation, brain activity is measurable. My statement still stands unscathed.
You could make a pass at proposing that a complex enough computer array may one day "wake up", but as that has not yet known to have happened, it is still sci fi.
i'm not speaking of reduced metabolism.

i'm speaking of lack of respiratory action, cessation of a sinus rhythm, lack of brain activity, et al.

near death studies do not study those who have any signs of life.

and i'm not speaking of cryonic suspension.
cuelebre

Williamsburg, KY

#118638 Dec 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
In the first place, you have not defined "death" and certainly have not reconciled it with NDEs.(I'm rather surprised that you haven't mentioned Eben Alexander.) Eastern mystics can go into trance states, but that is a reduced metabolism, not a cessation - brain activity does not halt. Roth is advocating research to improve techniques which are already employed in critical surgeries. That is not germane to your proposal that consciousness is independent of biology.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hIGtLKxoFeAXX
A creature that is in cryonic suspension does not evince any cognizance until they are reanimated, but during estivation, brain activity is measurable. My statement still stands unscathed.
You could make a pass at proposing that a complex enough computer array may one day "wake up", but as that has not yet known to have happened, it is still sci fi.
i don't define death because those scientists who study it use the clinical definition determined by a physician trained extensively in medical evaluations.

again you believe that consciousness is a form of the brain; when in actuality the brain is a form of consciousness.. form follows function

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118639 Dec 10, 2013
zmey gorynych wrote:
<quoted text>
science plays the game of what if; otherwise popular belief would be the norm. path finders don't sit on their laurels, popular belief, or their encultured, self-aggrandizing dogma.
i'm not interested in your idea of knowledge(science) either but that is obvious; otherwise you and i wouldn't disagree.
DUHhhhh
I see... you are interested in exploring avenues which you find titillating, therefore you and I disagree. I perceive that your version of science might include investigating the unpopular "what if" the moon is made of bleu cheese instead of green and "what if" breaking mirrors brings just 6 years of bad luck and not 7.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118640 Dec 10, 2013
cuelebre wrote:
<quoted text>i don't define death because those scientists who study it use the clinical definition determined by a physician trained extensively in medical evaluations.
again you believe that consciousness is a form of the brain; when in actuality the brain is a form of consciousness.. form follows function
meh... we've already done the chicken or egg thing on this thread.
If I had a dollar, I could buy a cup of coffee, if I had a dollar...

As you shy from definition, you are free to mount your goalposts on whatever conveyance is handy. It isn't unusual among certain posters.
I'm familiar with Mr. Sullivan's work and architectural design influence. Had he been born without a brain, I'd hope someone else would have filled the gap - and possibly even supplied the quote.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118641 Dec 10, 2013
balaur wrote:
<quoted text>i'm not speaking of reduced metabolism.
i'm speaking of lack of respiratory action, cessation of a sinus rhythm, lack of brain activity, et al.
near death studies do not study those who have any signs of life.
and i'm not speaking of cryonic suspension.
LOL! Of course you are talking about reduced metabolisms!
Through dedicated feedback training, yogis are claimed to be able to lower their body temperature by 10 C, which halves their metabolic rate.
The only NDEs which fit your parameters are those of hypothermic cases, so yes - you are talking about a degree of cryonic suspension. Otherwise, you are just musing about science fiction and waxing philosophically - which is fine, it just isn't science.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#118642 Dec 10, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh great!
Beldar Conehead from Remulac.... LOL
Funny... you dismiss the inca stones depicting man riding dinos...
Yep... Since they were made by a local village to sell to an idiot that didn't understand the whole weathering thing that happens to stones...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118643 Dec 10, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to a more knowledgeable source . Said source pointed out many of the inconsistencies in Hitchens statement,including his attempting to attribute to Christianity that which is not part of Christian belief . I do believe that can be termed as intentionally misleading .
To you.it may reek as a man made God , but what can one expect from one who is willing to attribute the possibility of the creation of mankind to some unknown and unexplainable Alien species or as you stated" something else.
You have avoided dealing with the meaning of that Sometging Else
or who these Alien species are,where they came from and where are they now..........And, since you are inferring that they are mere mortals with superintelligence , who created them?
Science fiction and lunacy in a chaotic mind is a wonder to behold.. Senseless and incomprehensible.
I'd really be interested in knowing more about these Aliens and particularly curious about this "Something Else" you have a definition for that?
Not sure how you determined it was "intentionally misleading"? I am not here to defend every word Hitchens ever spoke. He is not my god, and as I have stated several times here, I disagree with a lot of his views.

Oh, and that response about what you feel are my views(wrongly) is a clear diversion.
The alien theory is not mine. Again, it is just a possible way for an atheist scientist to entertain the idea of ID. I would never say the ID theory was valid. And yes, it always leads to the question, who created the creator, which you always run from.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118644 Dec 10, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,Idiot on wheels , I have stated time and again that ID"GOD" is needed to create life .....
You and the other atheists have been unable to dispute that and choose to introduce irrelevant and nonsensical issuesinto the conversation. Clouds are not intelligent,conscious or living, neither are inclined planes.
Your inability to deal with the issues causes you to HAVE to inject nonsense into the topic discussed and claim that if my argument were valid your nonsencical examples would also apply.
The issue is, How is it possible that life can be created by accidental means. Stop running from the topic , it is causing you to become mentally tired , delusional and imcomprehensible,,,much more than you normally are.....
Your faith has placed you in a sinking ship,you are drownig , your lifelines are in tatters and your lifeboats have no bottom.
Your faith is built upon the idea of an extremely intelligent being, needing no creator. Yet you insist all intelligence you see on earth needs an intelligent creator.
And for some reason, you see no contradictions here.
orochi

Williamsburg, KY

#118645 Dec 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
meh... we've already done the chicken or egg thing on this thread.
If I had a dollar, I could buy a cup of coffee, if I had a dollar...
As you shy from definition, you are free to mount your goalposts on whatever conveyance is handy. It isn't unusual among certain posters.
I'm familiar with Mr. Sullivan's work and architectural design influence. Had he been born without a brain, I'd hope someone else would have filled the gap - and possibly even supplied the quote.
the chicken and egg are the same thing one is but the result of the other in space/time. your fixation is on the form.

one gives rise to the other. what does it matter which came first if both exist in some stage of evolution of the other?

“Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.”
&#8213; David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118647 Dec 10, 2013
Sorry...getting impatient dealing with the repeated, tedious......

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118649 Dec 10, 2013
Sorry....still have not found the patience......
vere celen

Williamsburg, KY

#118650 Dec 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Of course you are talking about reduced metabolisms!
Through dedicated feedback training, yogis are claimed to be able to lower their body temperature by 10 C, which halves their metabolic rate.
The only NDEs which fit your parameters are those of hypothermic cases, so yes - you are talking about a degree of cryonic suspension. Otherwise, you are just musing about science fiction and waxing philosophically - which is fine, it just isn't science.
reduced? no, suspended. one is a rest the other a motion of involution.

all things are philosophical, even your precious

one is an action. the other an inaction.

a body at rest tends to stay at rest. tending to be the key word.
a body in motion tends to stay in motion. tending to be the key word.

until some catalyst acts upon the body and the mind moved



50. Jesus said, "If they say to you,'Where have you come from?' say to them,'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and ###appeared in their image.###'

If they say to you,'Is it you?' say,'We are its children, and we are the chosen of the living Father.'

If they ask you,'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them,'It is motion and rest.'"

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#118651 Dec 10, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Just one point... Who are you to tell me what I know, or not?
Are you a god? No!
You cannot even tell me how many coins I have in my pocket, let alone the denominations!
Yet you want to ascribe an attribute to yourself of a being
you deny... how special!
I know God is real, and you will too!
I know it's hard to grasp for you but the reason I cannot tell you what coinage is in your pocket is you have never shown it to me... On the other hand you have posted on this thread for a while and have shown me the content of you mind...

When someone Knows something that can provide Testable, Repeatable, Verifiable Evidence.... Just as you could pull the coins from your pocket and count each and every one... I could count it, some guy in Vancouver could count it... I could Test it to Verify they are real coins... You could pull them out and show the world....

When Someone Believes something they need no Testable, Repeatable, Verifiable Evidence... You could Believe you have a buck forty in coins in your pocket because you Feel something in your pocket But until you pull it out and count it you cannot Know it....

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118652 Dec 10, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Naaaah , That is my interpretation of the events that occured in the OT, clearly spelled out and by which I stand 100%.
Your view that people should not be held responsible for their actions and that once one gives one's word , they are entitled to violate it at will,even to the detriment of others ,speaks to a low standard of values , morals and ethics...That may be the Atheist way , not mine.
They were given the opportunity to be forgiven.They refused.
Don't do the crime ,if you can't do the time.
Your trying to create excuses in order to defend their sinful behaviour is not acceptable.
Your opinion and that of Krac that I am against religious freedom is based on your insistence not to differentiate the conditions under which this event took place.
I have no cure for yours or his obtuseness. Not my problem.
anyhow , you claim there was no Moses ,so,much like the issue with your uncles funeral , you are creating an issue where none exists , only in your mind
Again you act as if the death penalty is the only way to have accountability.
I guess Hitler had the very same view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walmart Supercenter 55 min Super Coming to B... 3
Why is Kelly sprinkles hiding CASH thefts ? 58 min My opinion 2
How much cash did Pam bargo take from Lynn camp... 1 hr Answer 9
what does everyone think about the emergency se... (Jan '09) 2 hr Fyi 9
Test scores 3 hr Really 3
No regrets 5 hr lol 17
Mad clown boys 7 hr Herewego 8

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages