Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 165505 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118534 Dec 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay folks, here's a man who throws out absolutes and when confronted with a rebuttal, instead of debating the issue at hand, he resorts to the shameless barrage you see above.
He introduces 5 {FIVE} diversions here, yet avoids the issue entirely. Boy he's a real smart one eh.....
It's straight from the Liars for Jesus playbook. If you are being cornered by reason, the go-to fallback is to divert, distract, deceive, distort, ignore. It's never a bad time to insert a random Bible reference, launch an out of the blue attack on "those atheists", cut and paste some neurotic drivel from a blogger or start a new tirade about Darwin, Dawkins, Hawking or Hitchens.

Isn't it odd that no one has >ever< made the claim that curious' dog wasn't real or that he didn't get him back, but he condemns everyone else's personal experiences and accuses them of lying about them? I'm sensing that he has a deeply conflicted self image.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#118535 Dec 9, 2013
If I were on "Team Creationist" I would take the role of Donald Trump and tell "Curious" you're fired!

On the other hand.....his ignorance and childish behavior and rants promotes further evidence to those that are 'unsure' that evolution is provable!
evolution is testable! evolution is plausible! evolution is tangible!

Another nail in Curious coffin is his rude, unscrupulous behavior which isn't indicative of true christens, and they will not want to be associated with the likes of him.
What's sad is Curious is now shunned in both camps!

United States of America

#118536 Dec 9, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's straight from the Liars for Jesus playbook. If you are being cornered by reason, the go-to fallback is to divert, distract, deceive, distort, ignore. It's never a bad time to insert a random Bible reference, launch an out of the blue attack on "those atheists", cut and paste some neurotic drivel from a blogger or start a new tirade about Darwin, Dawkins, Hawking or Hitchens.
Isn't it odd that no one has >ever< made the claim that curious' dog wasn't real or that he didn't get him back, but he condemns everyone else's personal experiences and accuses them of lying about them? I'm sensing that he has a deeply conflicted self image.
Mr. T said it best... I pity the fool.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#118537 Dec 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
If I were on "Team Creationist" I would take the role of Donald Trump and tell "Curious" you're fired!
On the other hand.....his ignorance and childish behavior and rants promotes further evidence to those that are 'unsure' that evolution is provable!
evolution is testable! evolution is plausible! evolution is tangible!
Another nail in Curious coffin is his rude, unscrupulous behavior which isn't indicative of true christens, and they will not want to be associated with the likes of him.
What's sad is Curious is now shunned in both camps!
Your definition of "true Christian" is NOT the same as that of curious, KF, Sista, defender, YaA, etc., etc...
You think that the same groups that shuffle and hide pedophiles, condemn 90% of other humans for doing exactly the same as they do, completely disregard evidence, reason and sanity, and casually disown the ten commandments for the slightest convenience would shun the likes of curious? They ARE the likes of curious.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#118538 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
By Robert Murphy Critique of C. Hitchens
I have to say I find the first half of Hitchens’ assault comically bad, the second half much better. I promised the lads I would try to respond this week,Now that we’ve read it in the full context, I’ll go through bit by bit: so here goes…
In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, thinks “That’s enough of that. It’s time to intervene,”…
What worldview is this? It certainly isn’t Christianity. A Bible-believing Christian thinks that God from the beginning sought a personal relationship with His children. He appeared to them personally many times, and sent numerous prophets and leaders such as Moses, Joshua, and David. He rescued them from slavery and delivered them a Promised Land. He gave them an excruciatingly precise list of rules for living, accompanied by draconian punishments.(Surely today’s atheists know this; they mock the rules every other day on Facebook.) Then finally, He sent His Son who summarized the essence or Spirit of those laws in His teachings. It wouldn’t have worked to send Jesus right away, because humanity wasn’t ready for him. The Old Testament had to come before the New Testament.
Hitchens could have said,“Why God would cater to one fickle group of humans, amidst all his other alleged ‘children,’ for such a long time–even according to the timeline of the Bible–is never explained. What a sadistic God, who coddles some of his children and condemns the rest to persecution or even genocide.” That would have at least had a passing relationship to what Christians actually believe.
(But instead Hitchens thought it would be easier to mock his opponent by attributing to him a worldview that no Christian believes.)
This happens a lot. Suppose I actually were in a live debate with Paul Krugman and said,“Dr. Krugman, let me get this straight: According to you, the US government never had a responsibility to run a deficit–through wars, depressions, bank panics, etc.,–and then, in 2009, with the inauguration of The One, all of a sudden you wanted a $1.5 trillion deficit?” Now if I had said that, it wouldn’t render Keynesianism correct, but boy even my fellow Austrians would wonder what the heck I was doing.
And yet, when it comes to an atheist assault on Christianity, Hitchens can describe a worldview that has absolutely nothing to do with what his opponent believes, and his fans run around quoting it and wondering aloud how any Christian could possibly respond. Isn’t that odd?
Let’s move on:
So Moses accounts for a few hundred years BCE. No matter how slice it, the bible does not have your god showing the way for tens of thousands of years humans have been around as is.

I see you could not muster up the words yourself, and had to run find someone else to debate Hitchens.
Either way, you failed to account for the massive time span Hitchens spoke of.
It still reeks of a man made god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118539 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
You are as ridiculous as doorknobs on a window. You make it appear like you made an astounding discovery.
A retarded idiot would know that it was me that wrote that post.
Winter Garden Fl. and the fact I referred to your uncle are obvious clues.
But , I am sure everyone is grateful that you informed them about something they were already well aware of.
Personally ,I want to thank you for that piece of info.
Otherwise I would have never known I was the author.
Say hello to your cousin for me when you visit him at the asylum.
The nonpriest who performed the non funeral services at your nondead uncle's near death experience sends his regards. LOL
This is Curious ,over and out
Yes, we all knew it was you, and I just wanted to note the continued hypocrisy of Curious.

United States of America

#118540 Dec 9, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your definition of "true Christian" is NOT the same as that of curious, KF, Sista, defender, YaA, etc., etc...
You think that the same groups that shuffle and hide pedophiles, condemn 90% of other humans for doing exactly the same as they do, completely disregard evidence, reason and sanity, and casually disown the ten commandments for the slightest convenience would shun the likes of curious? They ARE the likes of curious.
Exactly my point, those names you mention and the examples you've given are not 'christian' in any sense of the word.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118541 Dec 9, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible has more than its share of dumb fables. Here's one concerning Moses:
"And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision."
Exodus 4:24-26
The bible god tries to kill Moses? After getting Moses to consent to appeal to Pharaoh for the release of the Israelites, God tries to kill Moses?
If God wanted Moses dead he would be dead. The cosmic mega-being who can do anything just by wishing it shouldn't have to "sought" to kill. He could just do it easier than we can blink.
If God sought to kill Moses, why did he fail? I guess there must be something more powerful than God.
Well, there is and it was Moses' wife (Zipporah) who took a sharp stone knife to her baby and mutilated his genitals.
Let's recap:
God tried to kill his own messenger but was thwarted by a wioman who cut off a piece of her son's penis.
LOL
Evidently the Moses was so full of himself, he wrote into the tale that even god could not kill him.
Sounds typical of a tyrannical dictator.
duquettes uncle

Winter Garden, FL

#118542 Dec 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay folks, here's a man who throws out absolutes and when confronted with a rebuttal, instead of debating the issue at hand, he resorts to the shameless barrage you see above.
He introduces 5 {FIVE} diversions here, yet avoids the issue entirely. Boy he's a real smart one eh.....
LodiNo. I see no answer to my question on design, but if you want to discuss design and creation of living things requiring intelligence, alright explain to me If an Intelligent designer designed {lets say the human being} why then are there so many aspects that could surely have been better designed,

Says I.Is it your opinion that they could have been better designed, but by whom or what?
By man,who is not able to create even the simplest form of life.
Are you saying that nonintelligent,nonconscious,no nliving matter is the creator?
If so ,how is it possible for that which does not posses those properties somehow conceived a way to create the most incredibly designed machine in the world.
How can nonintelligence,nonconscious and nonliving create something that it is totally unequipped to conceive?

Lodi, I do not deviate , I merely mock the lack of intelligence contained in your questions.
Clouds and how they are formed have nothing to do with my belief in ID"GOD".
That is the issue that you Atheists are unable to cope with and attempt to run away from by introducing Superior alien beings , the formation of clouds and other excuses.

My God is the uncausable cause . Let me go over that with you for the umpteenth time.
If there ever was Absolutely Nothing, there would still be Absolutely Nothing today. Since there is something that means that Absolutely Nothing never existed. If it ever did, you wouldn't be here reading this right now. Absolutely Nothing would still be here.

So there was never a time when Absolutely Nothing existed. Therefore, there has always been something. But what?

Was it nonintelligent,nonliving nonconscious matter . If so , how was it able to attain the opposite of those nonproperties of it's own accord?

That topic and the impossibility of how that could be possible has been covered and you have not been able to refute it's validity.
Those are the issues that I raised and you, Dukett ,Kraktu , Chroe and Q have run away from.
Show me the evidence , not excuses and irrelevant details.
My faith is not based on the size of an Elephants tail , why men have nipples or any of your other lame excuses.
Stop throwing up smokescreens and deal with the topic of how we attained life,intelligence and consciousness.
That is the 900 poung gorilla that none of you are able to contend with ,silly boy.
And, as I have said repeatedly, If Science is ever able to design the formula for the creation of life , they will only prove that which many disavow, that life needs no creator , that it all happened as a result of some unexplained accident ,billions of years ago, who knows where or when.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#118543 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
They were a cancer that was starting to grow and had to be removed for the wellbeing of all.
If they could not withstand the ordeal,as you are attempting to imply, they should not have agreed to it ,they could have chosen to go back to Egypt and did not
They knew the rules , agreed to the rules and knew the punishment that would be inflicted if the rules were violated.
They were given the opportunity to repent and did not.
They were the cause of their own deaths...
If you can't do the time , don't do the crime...
Wise advice to those who are not fools
Listen to yourself

This could easily be Hitler attempting to justify killing the Jews.

Remember when I first mentioned that your beliefs mean that you defend genocide?

Remember that false outrage in your response when you flatly denied what I said.

Now here you are again defending genocide.

Genocide is wrong.

Period.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118544 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one , The congregation of Jews that came out of Egypt agreed to the terms of the commandments ,as you well know.
Those are the ones that count.
And I haven't provided an excuse for my beliefs , that is your Atheist misguided imagination deceiving you again.
The Unbelievers in that group posed a threat to the well being of the congregation . They agreed to the commandments issued by God beforehand.
After they violated the commandments they were given the opportunity to REPENT . They did not.
They were a cancer that was starting to grow and had to be removed for the wellbeing of all.
If they could not withstand the ordeal,as you are attempting to imply, they should not have agreed to it ,they could have chosen to go back to Egypt and did not
They knew the rules , agreed to the rules and knew the punishment that would be inflicted if the rules were violated.
If religious freedom is a crime in your book, then your book is immoral. I do not care if you claim they agreed on it or not, it is still immoral.
Just as many agreements signed today are not worth the paper they are written upon.
If the people were endangered due to religious freedom, so what? If they cannot deal with religious freedom and the dangers it poses, then they are not worthy of much in my book, much less being helped by some god.
The problem proves your god is not capable of really helping them, or is fair and moral.

What it shows is, the story is of barbaric people who have yet to learn of what is good about religious freedom.

The things I hear from your crowd show me on a regular basis, they do not really understand religious freedom. I guess your barbaric book is not helping in this respect.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#118545 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
DESIGN AND CREATION OF LIVING THINGS REQUIRE INTELLIGENCE
So who designed your god?
serpentarius

Williamsburg, KY

#118546 Dec 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
While on the subject of Intelligent Design, why in the hell would an Intelligent Designer put such a wispy 'lil tail on massive creature like an elephant??
Talk about an 'ooops' moment he musta had.
One would expect to see efficiency and elegance from Intelligent Design, but instead we see many characteristics and instances of poor design. Only evolution offers a self-contained explanation of why more than 99 percent of the species that have lived on Earth are extinct. What purpose does a benevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent deity have for inflicting on humans and other mammals all sorts of afflictions including parasitic bacteria, viral diseases, cancer, and genetic diseases?
Now don't go in your 'grab bag' of broad evasive answers such as "Oh god works in mysterious ways, and we are not wise enough to comment on the means by which he achieves his ends.
If that be the case, then you have no business proposing your god as the Intelligent Design{er} to begin with!
if there were no catalyst for evolution of consciousness, then complacency and inertia would be the standard.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118547 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one , The congregation of Jews that came out of Egypt agreed to the terms of the commandments ,as you well know.
And I haven't provided an excuse for my beliefs , that is your Atheist misguided imagination deceiving you again.
The Unbelievers in that group posed a threat to the well being of the congregation . They agreed to the commandments issued by God beforehand.
After they violated the commandments they were given the opportunity to REPENT . They did not.
Lets look at other alternatives Moses could have chosen to deal with the people who did not believe in his god. He could have simply cast them out of the group. Killing them is a bit excessive.
Now show me why simply casting them out could not be an option?
Seems to me, Moses was showing all what happens to those who do not listen to him, and follow his orders. They get wacked. Just like the dictators we call evil today.
I call Moses evil.
sabazian

Williamsburg, KY

#118548 Dec 9, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
energy cannot be created or destroyed. it simply is transfigured, or recycled into some other form.
nahbkoon

Williamsburg, KY

#118549 Dec 9, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
intelligence is not anthropomorphic. it can come in an infinite number of forms.

why is it that a scientist studies rocks if not for their intelligence?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118551 Dec 9, 2013
duquettes uncle wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets say for sake of debate, they were given a chance to repent. What does that say to the claims of your bible? It tells me they did not believe in your god at this point. Kind of puts a crimp in so many of the claims of these people. If they really witnessed the miracles claimed, I would think it would be hard to deny the god, yet evidently, they did not believe in this god at all.
duquettes uncle

Winter Garden, FL

#118553 Dec 9, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
let us look at the "how I've been cornered by reason" evidence that has been provided me.
1) No evidence has been provided to support the opinion that life can be created by accidental means. Science , in spite of it's manyhours and time , dedicatet to finding a solution , is stumped.
Some Atheists , unable to respond in sensible terms, now are suggesting the possibility that Superior Aliens or something else, as stated by Dukett, may be responsible.
Instead of addressing the issue of how life came into being , I am bombarded with nonsense that is irrelevant.
Why do elephants have short tails , do clouds need an intelligent designer , why do men have nipples?
The statements that I attributed to Hitchens were made by Hitchens, the statements I attributed to Dawkins were made by Dawkins , the statements attributed to Staak Rosch were made by Staak Rosch and the statements attributed to Duketee and Q were made by Dukette and Q.
Obviously you have a problem with those facts , not my fault.
The only" personal experience" that I have mocked,as far as I can remember , is Duketts absurd argument regarding his uncle's funeral. He tried to create an issue where none existed,other than in his mind..... Then tried to justify it with much nonsense for which he could provide no evidence.
As far as my dog,don't care if you believe it or not.
I know the facts and I know the truth, that is all that is important to me.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118554 Dec 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I never claimed anything of the sort....please learn reading comprehension.
Your assertion is,,,,, that your intelligent designer{god} needs no design/designer I then asked you....If your designer needs no design, then why does other things, I then gave an example of that which needed no design e.g. clouds!
Honestly, are you this stupid that every post must be broken down and explained to you on a child-like level?
It is a bit tedious.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#118555 Dec 9, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist are by far the most afraid people of all... I stop by topix every now and then just to kill downtime at work and debate a bit... Not you guys!!
Nope your here 24/7 day after day having the same arguments... That's how atheist are! They always start the fight and never let up even when everyone has had enough... Religion dominates their lives...
You failed to show us as being afraid.
Are you trying to say our posting on topix means we are afraid?
Try using complete sentences.
You do know, Christians here talk about atheism every day. Does that mean they are dominated by atheism?
Your logic fails. Sounds like Curious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School nurses who got the contract? 14 min Reaper 2
daris bledsoe 37 min unknown 10
HERE IT IS List of President Trump’s Accomplish... 44 min doubting tom 16
Moonshine mafia 1 hr Knox res 3
Jimmy Rice 1 hr Quantummist 15
Barbourville arh hospital 1 hr Soccer mom 6
Thieves in bimble... 2 hr In the know 10
Pull an absess tooth? is that dangerous (Sep '08) 6 hr Mikbritt09 88

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web