Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149015 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#117935 Nov 27, 2013
I once posted definitions of An atheist is someone who doesn’t believe in God and ⁄ or finds the very concept of God meaningless or incoherent. An
agnostic is someone who is unsure or undecided about the existence of God, or who believes that there are certain matters – such as existence of a God – that are beyond the scope of human knowledge and comprehension. Other terms commonly
associated with atheist ⁄ agnostic include ‘‘freethinker’’‘‘humanist,’’ and ‘‘skeptic’’. A secular person is someone who is non-religious, irreligious, or generally uninterested in, indifferent to, or oblivious to religious beliefs, activities, and organizations.
Finally, a none refers to someone who, when asked in a survey what his or her religions is, stated ‘‘none.’’
Of course, things can be messy. For instance, someone can be secular and yet not be
an atheist, such as an individual who never attends religious services or activities, doesn’t
describe herself as religious, and yet still believes in something she/he would refer to as God.
Or a person can be religious while also being an atheist; there are many
religious traditions – particularly in the East – that don’t contain a specific belief in God.

I can assure you that I resemble many of these definitions so you assuming and pigeon-holing me as an atheist is only making as a$$ of yourself once again.

To address your statement, I don't have a clue how the Catholic perform their funerals, as I've never attended one... I noticed the protocol you cited not once said to demean or insult family members or members of the congregation by injecting personal opinions of the speaker into the services!

United States of America

#117936 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you to say anything.
As I've stated, I don't have a right to question MD's interpretation of what the Priest said.

I can say that some people are more aware of heresies than others. MD's family may not have picked up on that particular comment at the time due to the situation. When MD heard the Priest making the comment he immediately knew that it was not Scriptural and out of line, MD also said that later at least one other person also made reference to it, therefore clearing MD of being biased.

So now, do tell.....Who are you to say anything?????

United States of America

#117937 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the facts. His uncle nor his wife consulted said nephew about the funeral arrangements. By his own admission ,he hardly knew if his uncle attended church regularly.
Easy to understand that the only one complaining is an Atheist.
His wife ,brothers or any other believers have not complained.
Then,instead of honoring his uncle's memory, he implies that his uncle was a hypocrite ,that he never went to church and only requested a Christian burial once he knew he was dying.
He even implies that his uncle may have been an Atheist.
I am sure his uncle would be VERY disappointed with MD,if he wasn't already.
I don't have to be a relative or have attended the funeral to conclude Dukett is wrong , it is his opinions that convicts him.
And,,,, you and your Chain of Fools better get ready to attend that 101 course in remedial Reading comprehension as it may not be offered again .
Then what? Are you all going to continue torturing your feeble minds ad infinitum?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Look at the facts. His uncle nor his wife consulted said nephew about the funeral arrangements.
And why should she? I guess when an immediate family member in your family dies, you will personally consult nephews and nieces, cousins, as to the arrangements? Or will you pass that duty off to others within the family unit to do that for you? Idiot- His Uncle was dead - how could he consult him of anything? Honestly you have nothing to say, so you have to say something. You're pathetic!
curious wrote:
<quoted text>By his own admission ,he hardly knew if his uncle attended church regularly.
The family unit changes when you grow up and move away from home, therefore it is understandable that MD lost connection with his uncle.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>His wife ,brothers or any other believers have not complained.
And you have proof of this, or are you just blowing a smokescreen again?

United States of America

#117938 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the facts. His uncle nor his wife consulted said nephew about the funeral arrangements. By his own admission ,he hardly knew his uncle,attested by the fact he didn't even know if his uncle attended church regularly.
Easy to understand that the only one complaining is an Atheist.
His wife ,brothers or any other believers have not complained.
Then,instead of honoring his uncle's memory, he implies that his uncle was a hypocrite ,that he never went to church and only requested a Christian burial once he knew he was dying.
He even implies that his uncle may have been an Atheist.
I am sure his uncle would be VERY disappointed with MD,if he wasn't already.
I don't have to be a relative or have attended the funeral to conclude Dukett is wrong , it is his opinions that convicts him.
And,,,, you and your Chain of Fools better get ready to attend that 101 course in remedial Reading comprehension as it may not be offered again .
Then what? Are you all going to continue torturing your feeble minds ad infinitum?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Then,instead of honoring his uncle's memory, he implies that his uncle was a hypocrite ,that he never went to church and only requested a Christian burial once he knew he was dying.
Hey Idiot, MD did not originally say that, he was quoting what his father had told him! And you misquoted what was said too.... His father said he didn't start going to church until he knew he was dying.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure his uncle would be VERY disappointed with MD,if he wasn't already.
And you know this how?// Just how sure are you???- I'm sure you're an Idiot!
Last but not least....Yes you do have to attend if you are going to blast someone of erroneous statements, that you claim were made during the funeral, unless of course you're a fool!
It's quite obvious to those who possess intelligence who the fool is, you prove it daily with every post, and other's prove it just as I've done here!
Ya Fool!
Free

United States

#117939 Nov 28, 2013
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117940 Nov 28, 2013
Dukett ,I see that you have hired a puppet to speak on you behalf. He is trying mightily to defend your dishonorable behaviour and attitude regarding your uncles funeral and failed.
You have dishonored his memory by implying that he was a hypocrite.
You have shown contempt for his wishes to be buried as a Catholic based on Catholic traditions.
You have claimed , either in your own postings or those posted by your representative Lodi,that the mass held at his funeral was a farce.
You and/or your representative have claimed that the the priest officiating the Mass should have spent less time speaking about God and his plan for those who believe in HIM and more time eulogizing the deceased.
By doing so ,,you demonstrate your ignorance of the Catholic faith , a faith you walked away from in order to affiliate yourself with Atheism.
As is made plain in the Catholic tradition , the eulogizing takes place at the Vigil,the Mass is intended to show us God's plan.
You ,in your arrogance, felt that your uncle should have been buried according to Atheist traditions , which you imply that he was.
Based on what you have posted about your uncle,
anyone eulogizing him would have to mention his hypocricy at supposedly being an Atheist and wanting to be buried under the Catholic tradition.
I, for one, do not believe your uncle was an Atheist.
I am sure he had some good qualities which you have failed to mention , whatever your reasons.
Furthermore , we have only heard from you and your misguided interpretation of the aforementioned events.
Sendding out Lodi to defend your position, given
his total incomprehension of Catholic traditions is the same as hiring a blind man to guide you through a mine field , irresponsible at best and highly suicidial.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117941 Nov 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text> Hey Idiot, MD did not originally say that, he was quoting what his father had told him! And you misquoted what was said too.... His father said he didn't start going to church until he knew he was dying.<quoted text> And you know this how?// Just how sure are you???- I'm sure you're an Idiot!
Last but not least....Yes you do have to attend if you are going to blast someone of erroneous statements, that you claim were made during the funeral, unless of course you're a fool!
It's quite obvious to those who possess intelligence who the fool is, you prove it daily with every post, and other's prove it just as I've done here!
Ya Fool!
Well , he was quoting his father , does that mean that it is his father that is claiming the deceased was a hypocrite .
Now ,MD implies that his uncle was an Atheist solely based on his uncles profession ,Psychologist.
Dukette is an Atheist extremist who will go to any lengths to discredit belief in God.
He wants as you do , that the Mass should address the deceased and not the Creator. And why? because you are both Atheists and want to impose your views on those who believe.
In the process to attempt to accomplish this foul deed he has dishonored his uncle , his uncles wishes and insulted the beliefs of his family.
And , He is the only one complaining,
Now he has sent you out to defend that which he himself, is not able to do.
Sent out a foolish boy to do a man's job.
Guess we need to know if Dukette believes his uncle was a hypocrite and if he does not believe that he was,why did he imply it?
As for you and your foolish self proclamation of having proved something based on your inherent foolishness,,, Cacafuego
And don't forget,,When 2 fools get together to form an opinion they only manage to double their ignorance,while wisdom flourishes at the fools expense
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117942 Nov 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Q never claimed that you will automatically follow the religion of your parents. He stated it is the dominating factor.
So again with the straw man argument........
Try again dummy.
Hey Dunderhead, This is an exact quote of part of what Q wrote

"You become the religion your Parents programed you to be... Intellect and Rational mindsets can undo such programming but an individual with a Irrational mindset and is Delusional general can't "

This is the relevant part of my response to what Q wrote,which you chose to ignore,due to your inability to address it;

Just as your misinterpretation of Christian Faith is based on your opinion.
If,as you claim, you become the religion your parents program you to become,then you would not have become an atheist at age 11.
Personally, my faith is not based on the beliefs of my parents or anyone else.
I came by my faith as a result of my personal experiences by putting into practice the teachings contained in the Bible, specifically, the teachings of Christ.
I tested them and found them to be true.
It is based on that testing" personal Experience" that I came by my faith.
It has nothing to do with blind faith or hearing voices in my head , That is the misguided opinion of those who are unable to understand that which I have experienced and attempt to explain it by concocting imaginary excuses for something that they can not understand.
As I understand what you are saying, your parents indoctrinated you into the Southern Baptist religion and based on your stateement
your parents had an irrational and delusional mindset.
" You become the religion your Parents programed you to be... Intellect and Rational mindsets can undo such programming but an individual with a Irrational mindset and is Delusional general can't .

You wanna deal with that

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#117943 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is reconfirmed each time you post your erratic nonsense.
I clearly stated the basis for my faith and it has nothing to do with my parents beliefs. That your Atheist nonsensical beliefs do not permit you to see what I have written is a testament to your self inflicted unfortunate blindness.
That you are ignorant is confirmed by what you post ,blaming me for your ignorance is not supported by the facts.
Let Q dispute all that I posted , instead of you playing the role of his Puppet,parroting nonsense as is customary of a birdbrain.
The delusion of most all people who follow the religion of their parents is, they believe it is not due to their parents.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117944 Nov 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
What about all the parents, step parents, uncles, cousins, and all the rest of the sicko's out there daily, NOT of any "religious" affiliation, doing the same Duquette?
What say you on THAT-where you cannot "blame it all" on "religion"?
I don't advocate blind trust at all, I just advocate calling a damn kettle BLACK if it is, no matter the race, creed or color, and personally I'd just as soon knock those twisted and distorted in their vile heads, as to look at one, for promoting IGNORANCE of DISGUSTING proportions.
Thank goodness for the CIVIL laws for them, sicko in the heads low lifes that they are.
What about them? You are speaking gibberish.
You are a poor advocate, as your double standards tell another story.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#117945 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is obvious to the casual observer , that the couple of days you claim were spent getting your thoughts together and reconsidering your life , were actually spent bescumbering yourself , as evidenced by your posting.
Your countryman ,Shakespeare said it best
"“You speak an infinite deal of nothing." and your Atheist acquaintances all seem to agreewith you ,thus causing further degradation to their gene pool
How dare you insult my deeply held beliefs!

Your friend Y and A came to his beliefs after he heard voices telling him to stop using his body as a vagina. Now he freely claims that he would kill if those same voices told him to.

I didn't hear voices but I came to my beliefs through a miracle of a talking trout that defied gravity.

You can't explain away my beliefs with science.

I was once a non-believer but now the strength of my faith is the equal of yours.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#117946 Nov 28, 2013
SistaNY wrote:
<quoted text>
More proof of CLUELESSness.
REAL natives consider that type of weather stuff REAL Thanksgiving weather. As in-
Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandmothers' house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
REAL natives don't celebrate thanksgiving.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117947 Nov 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
REAL natives don't celebrate thanksgiving.
The puritans/pilgrims were more likely to fast for "thanksgiving" than gorge. There was a feast, but it was only because the natives brought the food - and THEY weren't thanking Yahweh.
But the real error is that most anglo Xtians think Plymouth colony was the first thanksgiving when St. Augustine beat it by 56 years - and the Spanish then proceeded to kill off all of the heathen locals (Timucuans), as good Xtians were apt to do.
So you are quite correct, and the natives are quite dead.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117949 Nov 28, 2013
SistaNY wrote:
<quoted text>
More proof of CLUELESSness.
REAL natives consider that type of weather stuff REAL Thanksgiving weather. As in-
Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandmothers' house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
Those guys were natives of Europe silly.
Typical tea party talk.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117950 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual ,you and Dukett ,being Atheists haven't the foggiest idea
as to what a Catholic funeral entails and so you babble on about
something you both are illequipped to comment on.
Below you will find the procedure ,which the wife and relevant family members either knew or were made aware off when they made the funeral arrangements.
The Funeral Mass
The Georgia Bulletin
The funeral mass is the central rite by which Catholics bid farewell to their loved ones and commend them to God. Each step of the funeral rite has a long tradition and a deep meaning that consoles us in our loss, while expressing our fundamental hope in the resurrection. This article describes the parts of the funeral rite in an attempt to offer an explanation of their meaning and purpose.
Introductory Rites
Before the funeral begins, the family gathers around the coffin at the entry to the church, together with the priest and ministers. Here, he begins the ceremony, and sprinkles the casket with holy water, a sign of the baptism that first united the deceased with God and with His Church. In baptism, the soul of the deceased was made pure and pleasing to God, and this was symbolized by a white baptismal gown. Now, a white pall may be placed over the casket as a sign of that same gift. Thanks to the pall, the caskets of poor and rich all look alike when they are brought into the Church – what matters is not the person's means, but the mantel of Christ's grace that covers them and embraces them. The mortal remains of the deceased are then brought into the church building, just as baptism first brought them into Christ's presence. Their body passes inside the church for a final time, where it often came in life to receive Christ's grace and teaching, and be nourished with His sacraments. When the casket reaches the front of the isle, it is placed before the paschal candle, a sign of the light of Christ within the soul – a light that continues to burn, undiminished, even after death. When the family and all of the mourners have taken their places, the priest then gathers everyone together into a prayer asking God to grant eternal life to the one who has gone before us.
Funny, none of that happened. He was cremated and the box was no cover on the box, nor a gathering around the box.
I note the instructions do not demand making Jesus the focus of the ceremony.
Again, this is not my first Catholic funeral.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117951 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
con't
Liturgy of the Word
After the prayer, everyone is seated for the liturgy of the word.
NOTE
The readings from scripture are chosen from the many offered by the Church to show how God's grace touched the life of the individual who is now before God. Scripture has many words that speak of God's care for his people – both the living and the deceased, and so the liturgy of the word sets out those words that they might touch the hearts of those who are alive, and give them comfort in their loss. A psalm expresses the heart's trust in God's goodness at the moment of death. Finally, a reading from the Gospel speaks Christ's own words of consolation and healing.
After the readings, the priest speaks to the people, giving a brief homily that ties the Word of God spoken in the scriptures to the life of the one who has died. The homily addresses those who are present and shows God's goodness and grace in this time of loss. Following the homily, the priest may invite those present to join in the general intercessions, a series of prayers for the one who has died, and for all those in need.
Liturgy of the Eucharist
NOTE
After the general intercessions, bread and wine are brought forward, and the priest begins the Eucharistic Prayer, doing again what Christ did at the Last Supper, when he promised that he had overcome the world, and would give peace to his disciples (John 16:33). The priest speaks Christ's words, making present the sacrifice by which Christ gave His own life so that those who believe in Him might have true and everlasting life. Those who are joined in the faith of the Catholic Church then receive Holy Communion, a promise of Christ's life and resurrection. In the same way, the one who has died was nourished by Christ's body and blood, and has received the grace that is the promise of eternal life.
Final Commendation
Before the final commendation, a family member might speak a few words in remembrance of the deceased, if this has not already been done at the vigil.
Eulogies and tributes at a Catholic funeral
NOTE
The Vigil is the appropriate time to eulogize the deceased or pay any fraternal or civil tributes. Eulogies are not delivered at the funeral service.
- Then the priest invites all to pray, and may incense the body, the smoke rising to heaven like the prayers offered for the deceased, or even like the soul itself, rising from this world to the more perfect world of heaven. A final song of farewell is said, the prayer of commendation is made, and then the priest and ministers precede the coffin out of the church. The family and friends follow, and all go together to the cemetery, where the body will be laid to rest.
I fail to see the point if this service was in the format of Catholicism? If it was, then I see Catholicism as a flawed and disrespectful service. No matter why the priest made the focus Jesus, I found it disrespectful. I do not expect the Christians to understand this, but I do think the wife likely felt disrespected. It is my opinion, and you have said nothing that makes me feel any different.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117952 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
Seems the Priest got it all Right and the Nonbeliever,as it pertains to faith,got it all wrong
I am not disputing he did his dogma correct or not, I am disputing if it as respectful to the Islamic wife. As religion is, they are not usually respectful of the competition. Note what YaA said today about Islam.
Now care to debate the actual issue for a change.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117953 Nov 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I fail to see the point if this service was in the format of Catholicism? If it was, then I see Catholicism as a flawed and disrespectful service. No matter why the priest made the focus Jesus, I found it disrespectful. I do not expect the Christians to understand this, but I do think the wife likely felt disrespected. It is my opinion, and you have said nothing that makes me feel any different.
You being an extremist Atheist , would find any service relating to God as being disrespectful.
Since you are the only one that found it disrespectful , you should make it your business to
1) Not ever attend any more Carholic or other Christian funeral services. I am fairly certain that if your views were known , you would not be welcome

2)Since you have a problem with Catholic funeral services and feel that some changes need be made,in order that they conform to your Atheist faith , you should address your problems to the POPE.

3)Your opinion that"but I do think the wife likely felt disrespected." is as baseless as the rest of your atrocious logic.
Face it, you are an Extremist Atheist who has shown no respect for your uncle or his desire to be buried according to his Faith.
That is the way in which HE wanted to be buried. You had no voice in determining the choice he made or attempting to impose your views on an issue where your opinion was not requested and quite apparently is none of your business.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117954 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
Dukett ,I see that you have hired a puppet to speak on you behalf. He is trying mightily to defend your dishonorable behaviour and attitude regarding your uncles funeral and failed.
You have dishonored his memory by implying that he was a hypocrite.
You have shown contempt for his wishes to be buried as a Catholic based on Catholic traditions.
You have claimed , either in your own postings or those posted by your representative Lodi,that the mass held at his funeral was a farce.
You and/or your representative have claimed that the the priest officiating the Mass should have spent less time speaking about God and his plan for those who believe in HIM and more time eulogizing the deceased.
By doing so ,,you demonstrate your ignorance of the Catholic faith , a faith you walked away from in order to affiliate yourself with Atheism.
As is made plain in the Catholic tradition , the eulogizing takes place at the Vigil,the Mass is intended to show us God's plan.
You ,in your arrogance, felt that your uncle should have been buried according to Atheist traditions , which you imply that he was.
Based on what you have posted about your uncle,
anyone eulogizing him would have to mention his hypocricy at supposedly being an Atheist and wanting to be buried under the Catholic tradition.
I, for one, do not believe your uncle was an Atheist.
I am sure he had some good qualities which you have failed to mention , whatever your reasons.
Furthermore , we have only heard from you and your misguided interpretation of the aforementioned events.
Sendding out Lodi to defend your position, given
his total incomprehension of Catholic traditions is the same as hiring a blind man to guide you through a mine field , irresponsible at best and highly suicidial.
I did not say he was atheist, I think it is more likely he just fell away from the church due the radical dogma of the institution. Not sure just what he believed anymore. Most psychologists are skeptical of religion, if not god in general.
I think a psychologist would be more concerned with what his loved ones felt after his passing than his own feelings about religion. So the gesture of having his sacraments done is honorable in my opinion. I know his seven brothers and sisters are all devout Catholic, and would probably be worried he would not go to heaven if he did not receive them. So in this case, the seemingly hypocritical act can be seen in grey, instead of black and white as the religious often do.
It is a selfless act, and my uncle was certainly this.
He did much pro bono work for the wounded soldiers, for example.

You see, the atheist I am sees the survivors as important. The legacy we leave behind is important to us now.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117955 Nov 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You being an extremist Atheist , would find any service relating to God as being disrespectful.
Since you are the only one that found it disrespectful , you should make it your business to
1) Not ever attend any more Carholic or other Christian funeral services. I am fairly certain that if your views were known , you would not be welcome
2)Since you have a problem with Catholic funeral services and feel that some changes need be made,in order that they conform to your Atheist faith , you should address your problems to the POPE.
3)Your opinion that"but I do think the wife likely felt disrespected." is as baseless as the rest of your atrocious logic.
Face it, you are an Extremist Atheist who has shown no respect for your uncle or his desire to be buried according to his Faith.
That is the way in which HE wanted to be buried. You had no voice in determining the choice he made or attempting to impose your views on an issue where your opinion was not requested and quite apparently is none of your business.
For the tenth time, I do not object to him having a Catholic funeral. I simply think some of it was disrespectful.
I highly doubt all religious funerals or services are all that bad. I have been to many, and do not recall them being so disrespectful.
But I am sure you think what you would like to believe, so my trying to reason with you is pointless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just Wondering!! 48 min Kayak 4
stinking creek 56 min Olive 95
has anyone seen april partin (Nov '08) 1 hr April partin 51
Shawntaea and curt Brown? 2 hr John 35
Merrill speaks out, where? 2 hr Really 8
Loreana patterson peace 2 hr Facebook 5
Jessie J. Mills 5 hr Olive 5
Three liquor stores in bville 13 hr Quantummist 26

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web