Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,612)

Showing posts 112,221 - 112,240 of127,850
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Floods happen... "The" Flood didn't, as described in biblical texts anyway...
Prove it!
Got Photos?
I didn't think so!
Just more conjecture!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Thank you Lord Jesus...
Thank you for saving me!
Thank you for cleaning me of my sins!
Thank you for opening my eyes to Satan's ways!
I ask you now to open the eyes of those
that want to repent, and see what you've shown us!
In your Holy Name,
Amen!
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
This study was conducted Jan. of this year...the findings are as fo: "We conclude that there is increasing evidence that people who profess spiritual beliefs are more vulnerable to mental disorder.
This is something we don’t like to admit, but it is true. There is a problem within the atheist community of depression and suicide.Staks Rosch /Atheist Activist
Are Atheists Mentally Unstable?
by Dan Posted June 23, 2010
The is considerable amount of scientific evidence that suggest that theism is more conducive to mental and physical health than atheism.
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/20... ...
The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:
“ In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors’ report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.”
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/...
In regards to data that relates to mental health and atheism, in December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported the following:
“ Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier.”
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/20... ...
In respect to the atheism and mental and physical health, the center offers many studies which suggest that theism is more beneficial than atheism.
http://www.dukespiritualityandhealth.org/
The Christian group Teen Challenge reported the following:
“ Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure rate for the drug addicts graduating from their program attracted the attention of the U.S. Federal Government in 1973. Most secular drug rehabilitation programs only experienced a cure rate of 1-15% of their graduates. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, funded the first year of this study to evaluate the long term results of the Teen Challenge program.”
http://www.acadc.org/page/page/2495014.htm
The Russian-born psychoanalyst and writer Lou Andreas-Salomé, who had a brief and tempestuous affair with Nietzsche, believed that Nietzsche's philosophy can be viewed as a reflection of his psychology and that his madness was the result of his philosophizing.
Atheism and Suicide
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

The NY Times stated the following in relation to atheism and suicide:
“ Dr. Martin urged that a great cause of suicide was atheism. It was, he said, a remarkable fact that where atheism prevailed most, there suicides were most numerous. In Paris, a recent census showed one suicide to every 2,700 of the population. After the publication of Paine's "Age of Reason" suicides increased.”
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html... ...
Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman stated concerning suicide rates: "this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations."The same NY Times article quotes the Reverend Dr. MacArthur describing suicide in the following manner:
“ It is mean and not manly; it is dastardly and not daring. A man who involves his innocent wife and children in financial disaster and disgrace and takes his life and leaves them to bear the burden he was unwilling to bear, is a coward.”
In 2004, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported the following:
“ Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found.”
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/a... ...
The website Adherents.com reported the following in respect to atheism and suicide:
“ Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman compiled country-by-country survey, polling and census numbers relating to atheism, agnosticism, disbelief in God and people who state they are non-religious or have no religious preference. These data were published in the chapter titled "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining various indicators of societal health, Zuckerman concludes about suicide:
"
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with the lowest male suicide rates, all are highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism." ”
http://www.adherents.com/misc/religion_suicid...
Australian online opinion writer and lecturer in ethics and philosophy at several Melbourne theological colleges, Bill Muehlenberg, in his essay The Unbearable Heaviness of Being (In a World Without God) states the following:
“ Announcing, and believing, that God is dead has consequences. And it is we who suffer the most for it. We cannot bear the whole universe on our shoulders. We were not meant to. We must let God be God. Only then can men be men. Only then can we find the way forward to be possible, and the burdens not insurmountable.”
http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2008/05/26/the... ...
Oxford Professor Alister McGrath, author of the book The Twilight of Atheism, stated the following regarding Freud:
“ One of the most important criticisms that Sigmund Freud directed against religion was that it encourages unhealthy and dysfunctional outlooks on life. Having dismissed religion as an illusion, Freud went on to argue that it is a negative factor in personal development. At times, Freud's influence has been such that the elimination of a person's religious beliefs has been seen as a precondition for mental health.
Freud is now a fallen idol, the fall having been all the heavier for its postponement. There is now growing awareness of the importance of spirituality in health care, both as a positive factor in relation to well-being and as an issue to which patients have a right. The "Spirituality and Healing in Medicine" conference sponsored by Harvard Medical School in 1998 brought reports that 86 percent of Americans as a whole, 99 percent of family physicians, and 94 percent of HMO professionals believe that prayer, meditation, and other spiritual and religious practices exercise a major positive role within the healing process.”
You!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it!
Got Photos?
I didn't think so!
Just more conjecture!
No Conjecture... Evidence... Rational Thinking...

I know it's hard for the delusional to comprehend the concept of physical evidence or considering that evidence with a rational mind but maybe someday you will learn to step outside your delusion and see that reality is kinda neat.... I know it's scary but self limiting is always a issue with delusional mindsets...
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"Worth repeating" if it is a quote you happen to like.
Then it doesn't seem to matter what his personal life was like.
But when an atheist quotes Carlin about his non-beliefs, it's a different story.
If only you were half as clever as you think you are, these discussions would be more interesting.
I'm tired of your repetitive lies and spam.
You are boring.
Did I say "half?" Silly me, you aren't even near half.....
Always remember ,If you were only half as stupid as everyone knows you are , you'd still be extremely stupid even by the most liberal standards...

Carlin was not that wise ,his life demonstrated that ,he was funny..Period...
Some of his shows were done while he was whacked out on cocaine and I am SURE you know the effects of cocaine . He was an Atheist and he was a drug addict who because of his behaviour ,inflicted much pain on his family,especially his daughter.
You ,as an Atheist with no moral foundation ,would approve his lifestyle ,I donot share those morals or lack thereof

BTW That Quote was something he plageurized and inserted into his routine;

What is the origin of the phrase “do not argue with idiots”? Please cite some credible references.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.—Greg King
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
curious is a hypocrite.
A couple of weeks ago he was telling us how evil slavery was.
Strange how slavery suddenly becomes a good thing when people are being kidnapped and held against their will because the bible god says it's what he wants.
The same is true for genocide, murder, etc:
Despicable abhorrent acts which no civilised person would condone.
Of course, we all know the barbaric morality of the bible. Which is why, even in the 21st century, curious finds himself defending such horrors.
When your refuse to admit that genocide, murder and slavery are wrong, it's time to re-examine your world view.
Because your ignorance does not permit you to understand the basis for my beliefs does not make your conclusions true , as you often have self proclaimed to be.
You think that you have found fault, based on your Personal morality ,with all that is contained in the bible.
Your moral code undoubtedly , approves of Bestiality,unfaithfulness in a marriage ,incest , homosexuality ,sex with boys, Nambla ,founded by Atheists and perverts.

What you fail to understand is that to me , your opinions are based on ignorance and foolishness.
The lifestyle that you subscribe to leads to moral degradation
You have wilfully ignored the conditions under which those rules and regulations were instituted in an agreement between God aand the Jews. You arbitrarily decide that this is all mumbo jumbo.
In my view ,that qualifies you , not as a judge , but as an idiot.
I have raed both the Old and New Testament.
By doing so , it guided my path from AGnostic to Believer.
By becoming a believer it did not lead me to depression ,suicidial tendencies or a feeling of being lost .
If anything ,now I realized I had found myself ,healed that empty feeling of meaningless and nothingness that I had felt for so long.
Now , you would suggest that I am foolish for not trading my faith for Atheism.
Why would I want to do that , I came from that sewer ,the lord cleansed me , now I should want to return to the sewer again, and join you ,based on your say so.
Obviously , you have never experienced anything else , so you are very limited...I been there and I done that and know what it is like, Ain't going back again.
And to those who say that Atheists are happy people , based on what?
Your own will tell you that you have mental and suicidial problems that you don't want to admit to.
They tell you that once you convert ,you will feel lost ,confused ,abandoned , develop depession and suicidial tendencies with no one there to help you ,other than going on line or contacting a religious outreach program
What kind of fool do you think I am ?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do accept the possibility that I may be wrong. I think it's highly unlikely but nevertheless, I can't rule it out entirely.
I mean, how hypocritical would it be if I insisted that I was 100% sure I was right and that everyone else was wrong?
And yes, my views can't be proven or disproven. However, I am also extremely confident that we live in a natural world. Not one where magic reigns and humanity is beset by demons. There is no evidence that our reality is anything other than natural so I fail to see the need to invent a supernatural world.
Science doesn't prove anything, least of all one of the many creation myths. The what/whom are just imaginary. If that imaginary being of yours came out of hiding then perhaps science could explain.
One thing's for sure, science is gradually reducing his hiding places:
People used to think he lived on clouds, in a volcano, in the sea, under the earth, etc. Maybe he's hiding in the cupboard under my stairs - I'll go take a look.
You continue to add to your foolishness, "Science is gradually reducing his hiding places"
So you think God is hiding some place.?
Based on your incessant obsession with that which you do not believe exists ,you may want to look deep inside your consciousness.
Since you can not get him out of your mind ,then there is where he is,
Kind of a freudian thing.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet again, you demonstrate that you cannot >imagine< that atheism is not a faith/religion.
Rosch is describing the effects of psychological withdrawl. The exact same conditions are evidenced when someone is freed from a cult. Coincidence? Hardly. The simple fact is that for most people just about any fraternal or social organization can evince the same support benefits that a church does - and without the desperate need to believe in mysticism and myths. That goes for most, but what about others? One might surmise a mental condition, chemical imbalance and/or brain damage, as studies have shown. There is a reason that "God told me to do it" is a cliche court defense.
The fact is that when I accepted Christ I did not have to go through those withdrawals, It was Christ who led me to understand my struggle with my selfish human nature.
Why ,when knowing that which I did to be wrong ,I did it anyway,while condeming that same behaviour in others.
No,human nature is not guided by honorable motives or by a sense of what is right or wrong. If that were so , there would be no need for laws ,our minds "human nature" would guide us to do the right thing.
But we know that is not so,human nature is guided by our selfish motives , and the fulfillment of those motives.
Why do peoplle kill ? they know it's wrong
Why do they lie?
Why do they steal? Cheat?,Scheme, connive ,envy ,jealousy you name it.
It is all part of our imperfect human nature.
Those who claim that they are not afflicted by these imperfections or that they are able to overcome them by simply ignoring them or that they are able ,by their will , to overcome them are the selfrighteous ,delusional liars.
There is absolutely no reason to believe them\ and there is no evidence to support their beliefs
So , Christ led me to an understanding of life and myself that I could not have learned any other way.
And it is an understanding that Atheism seeks to deny occured, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.
I do not suffer from depression , I have no desire to commit suicide ,I would not ,for love or money go back to my old lifestyle.
You can call it delusional , because you do not understand what I have experienced.
What you do not understand , you mock ,hoping that by doing so ,you will cause me to be ashamed of my beliefs.
What you do not understand is that , I am proud of my beliefs and nothing can be said that will make me ashamed of my God and my Lord.
try as you might ,and you have tried, you have served to strengthen , not to weaken , my foundation, for that I thank you and the others , MD,Khartu ,Witchetty ,Lodi and others,although those were not your intentions,
I know I rile you guys sometimes, but because of how your unbelief has served to strengthen my faith ,there is a place in my heart for all of you.
Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving .

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>If you'd read the Bible... you'd know!
Repent... you've got a storm coming too!
Go on then, share it with us.

Who was your god raging at this time that he had to kill Americans?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No! We defend the Righteousness of His
Judgment!
So keep posting your hate!
I'd say that supporting genocide is pretty hateful.

Seems to be something that you and curious do.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So....
You were there...
Or are you just guessing, or listening to someone else
that is "JUST GUESSING"?
Either way....
God is Real!
Repent, and SEEK Him....
Unless, you are afraid of what you will find?
How can I be afraid of what doesn't exist?

I know you are but that's another story.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>No... it does NOT!
You Lie like a rug!
See... Jesus said to Love you... Not Kill you!
Giving you a CHANCE to Repent, and CHOOSE Wisely...
Once you have Chosen... it is on you what happens to you!
I feel, at that Time... you will be cussing two people at least...
Us, for not screaming at you to turn from your sins, and
yourselves for Not Listening....
We probably wont hear you cussing, as the singing God's praises
can get quite LOUD!
Repent!
Save yourself from being ashamed!
You've already admitted that slavery, genocide, killing gays and killing people who follow other religions is "righteous"

Now you contradict yourself.

Can't say I'm surprised given that your holy book is full of contradictions.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
Thank you Lord Jesus...
Thank you for saving me!
Thank you for cleaning me of my sins!
Thank you for opening my eyes to Satan's ways!
I ask you now to open the eyes of those
that want to repent, and see what you've shown us!
In your Holy Name,
Amen!
It's icky being a Christian because you don't only get to praise your god you get to eat him too.

Yet I can't help but think that last supper must have been a bit tense, with Jesus relating the bread to his body and the wine to his own blood.

I bet no one touched the meatballs.

Oh holy, holy, holy

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Because your ignorance does not permit you to understand the basis for my beliefs does not make your conclusions true , as you often have self proclaimed to be.
You think that you have found fault, based on your Personal morality ,with all that is contained in the bible.
Your moral code undoubtedly , approves of Bestiality,unfaithfulness in a marriage ,incest , homosexuality ,sex with boys, Nambla ,founded by Atheists and perverts.
What you fail to understand is that to me , your opinions are based on ignorance and foolishness.
The lifestyle that you subscribe to leads to moral degradation
You have wilfully ignored the conditions under which those rules and regulations were instituted in an agreement between God aand the Jews. You arbitrarily decide that this is all mumbo jumbo.
In my view ,that qualifies you , not as a judge , but as an idiot.
I have raed both the Old and New Testament.
By doing so , it guided my path from AGnostic to Believer.
By becoming a believer it did not lead me to depression ,suicidial tendencies or a feeling of being lost .
If anything ,now I realized I had found myself ,healed that empty feeling of meaningless and nothingness that I had felt for so long.
Now , you would suggest that I am foolish for not trading my faith for Atheism.
Why would I want to do that , I came from that sewer ,the lord cleansed me , now I should want to return to the sewer again, and join you ,based on your say so.
Obviously , you have never experienced anything else , so you are very limited...I been there and I done that and know what it is like, Ain't going back again.
And to those who say that Atheists are happy people , based on what?
Your own will tell you that you have mental and suicidial problems that you don't want to admit to.
They tell you that once you convert ,you will feel lost ,confused ,abandoned , develop depession and suicidial tendencies with no one there to help you ,other than going on line or contacting a religious outreach program
What kind of fool do you think I am ?
The basis for your beliefs are fear and hatred.

Fear of an imaginary god and hatred for anything that's different.

I told you that you condone genocide and you do.

If your god suddenly announced that murder was good then you'd be off on a killing spree. If he also announced that anal sex with other men was good you'd suddenly all those straight people.

Whereas, I know that genocide is wrong.

You're absolutely right about me ignoring the ancient superstition of the Jews - it's primitive, barbaric and has no place in the 21st century.

It makes people do barbaric things - like taking a knife and mutilating a baby boy's genitals.

What a depraved and disgusting act that is. But do it in the name of your invisible sky pixie and it suddenly becomes holy.

What does he do with all those foreskins anyway? I guess he collects them.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You continue to add to your foolishness, "Science is gradually reducing his hiding places"
So you think God is hiding some place.?
Based on your incessant obsession with that which you do not believe exists ,you may want to look deep inside your consciousness.
Since you can not get him out of your mind ,then there is where he is,
Kind of a freudian thing.
Of course he's hiding.

He's skulking in the shadows and the world's dark places. He runs from the light of reason.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
Why do peoplle kill ? they know it's wrong
Not quite - well, not quite according to your world view.

Killing is not always wrong and when your god instructs you to kill, it becomes a thing of great love.

Oh holy, holy, holy - ye of double standards.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Religion is dire.

The conceit that in the universe there is a massively large man in the likeness of a god who writes patriarchal, hateful, racist, misogynistic social rules is beyond comprehension.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The basis for your beliefs are fear and hatred.
Fear of an imaginary god and hatred for anything that's different.
I told you that you condone genocide and you do.
If your god suddenly announced that murder was good then you'd be off on a killing spree. If he also announced that anal sex with other men was good you'd suddenly all those straight people.
Whereas, I know that genocide is wrong.
You're absolutely right about me ignoring the ancient superstition of the Jews - it's primitive, barbaric and has no place in the 21st century.
It makes people do barbaric things - like taking a knife and mutilating a baby boy's genitals.
What a depraved and disgusting act that is. But do it in the name of your invisible sky pixie and it suddenly becomes holy.
What does he do with all those foreskins anyway? I guess he collects them.
The basis for your beliefs are caused by your having converted to Atheism . You feel lost and angry .
You have developed mental problems . You have become obsessed with homosexuality ,foreskins and baby boy Genitals.
You seem very interested in starting a foreskins collection
You are no doubt a member in Good standing of NAMBLA.
That is only the begining of your problems.
You are obsessed with a God you do not believe exists ,but you are not sure.
You accuse this God you do not believe in , but are not sure,
of having committed various crimes,which of course , if he does not exist , he can not have committed, but you are not sure..
Your mental maladies may also be attributed to your foreskin ,or lack thereof . You may have incurred some serious brain damage.
You have the intellect of a cabbage fart ,if it were human

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,221 - 112,240 of127,850
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min RepubliCons 144,688
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 24 min FarePrey 372
shelia brown (May '12) 29 min Funny 10
Richard and Sarah hicks 36 min Herd 10
free phones for anybody that gets food stamps o... 3 hr dat girl 1
trail camera 3 hr Get Real 13
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 4 hr only me 16,114
KC Basketball Coach 15 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••