Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148147 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117913 Nov 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Q made no such claim stupid. Go back and read his post again. No word of "all" in his statement. Only a fool would be so careless as to be so absolute.
So again with the straw man arguments. It is really getting old. I guess you just cannot find anything we actually say to debate. You have to make shit up.
Your responses contain much Buncombe with a heavy sprinkling of Hircismus..
Cacafuego

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#117914 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah , you seem to come up with many excuses to fill in the gaps, after the fact
Did this excuse something? Seems to me it helps confirm my point. It seems to infer the priest realized he might have spoke more of the deceased.
I have no idea what you think, as you cannot find the words to articulate them.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117915 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your responses contain much Buncombe with a heavy sprinkling of Hircismus..
Cacafuego
All I see from you is a failure to dispute my claims as I proved your claims false. You lied about what Q said, pure and simple.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117916 Nov 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be, but I'm convinced it is a pre-existing condition. It may be that they are led to choosing their lifestyle because they are born that way. Say, does that sound familiar...?
I do not agree people are born with a certain attitude. Attitudes are developed by culture/environment. This is the nature verses nurture argument.
Curious was obviously born into a religiously minded family. They succeeded in passing that attitude down by his upbringing. If he was adopted by another family, who knows what he might be today. It all depends upon what his environment leads him to believe what is right.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117917 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been away for a couple of days getting my thoughts together and re-considering my life.
Two evenings ago I decided to seek God.
I picked up a bible and let it fall open at a random page. I started reading with an open heart and the most wondrous thing happened:
A green and gold trout popped up out of the bible and hovered in the air right in front of me. My astonishment at this was nothing compared to how I felt when the trout started talking to me!
The trout said that he was speaking on behalf of the Lord of Hosts and that I am one of hos beloved children. That strange fish went right on and told me that God is full of love for his creation and that if I let Jesus into my life I will be saved.
Well! That was that and I am pleased to confirm that I am now a believer.
Halleluiah and praise the lord/fish! The work of curious has paid off well. Now we can all rest.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117918 Nov 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you follow the religion of your parents? If so, then your other claims have nothing to do with the dispute, as anyone who follows the religion of their parents would likely make the same claims.
Simply looking at the stats, it is clear ones religion is mostly based upon the culture of his surroundings. Coincidence?
Your ignorance is reconfirmed each time you post your erratic nonsense.
I clearly stated the basis for my faith and it has nothing to do with my parents beliefs. That your Atheist nonsensical beliefs do not permit you to see what I have written is a testament to your self inflicted unfortunate blindness.
That you are ignorant is confirmed by what you post ,blaming me for your ignorance is not supported by the facts.
Let Q dispute all that I posted , instead of you playing the role of his Puppet,parroting nonsense as is customary of a birdbrain.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117919 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been away for a couple of days getting my thoughts together and re-considering my life.
Two evenings ago I decided to seek God.
I picked up a bible and let it fall open at a random page. I started reading with an open heart and the most wondrous thing happened:
A green and gold trout popped up out of the bible and hovered in the air right in front of me. My astonishment at this was nothing compared to how I felt when the trout started talking to me!
The trout said that he was speaking on behalf of the Lord of Hosts and that I am one of hos beloved children. That strange fish went right on and told me that God is full of love for his creation and that if I let Jesus into my life I will be saved.
Well! That was that and I am pleased to confirm that I am now a believer.
It is obvious to the casual observer , that the couple of days you claim were spent getting your thoughts together and reconsidering your life , were actually spent bescumbering yourself , as evidenced by your posting.

Your countryman ,Shakespeare said it best

"“You speak an infinite deal of nothing." and your Atheist acquaintances all seem to agreewith you ,thus causing further degradation to their gene pool

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#117920 Nov 27, 2013
ekwueme wrote:
<quoted text>
And you frantically search for a recipe where excrement is a main ingredient and believe you have found one.
Unfortunately for you ,as it pertains to interpreting the bible, your Atheist mind has deceived you again.
Kractu and the others suffer from the same affliction.
I am warning you in advance.
You can use cow excrement as fuel to cook, it is used in many countries.
Do not mix it with the flour to make your bread tastier,you will regret it,But then again , maybe not,as your taste buds as well as your mind seem to be out of whack.
laughing ... Looks like someone in their haste to reply, forgot to change Monikers and then after realizing their mistake, immediately tried to make it appear as if it was intentional.
SistaNY

London, KY

#117921 Nov 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed that I'm all knowing and not prejudiced on some topics. I do know that you do not advocate making that admission.
Has anyone ever mentioned hypocrisy to you?
Just you and Duquette--being as mired up in it that you two are sometimes.
(wah wah wah)

United States of America

#117922 Nov 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I would think because he was a very reputable doctor. Why would Hitchens refuse him due to his religion? Do you ask doctors what their religious beliefs are to determine if you use their services?
No doubt Curious doesn't seek the advice or expertise of a Physician when ill. With his questioning why Hitchens chose a Doctor is why I say this - I guess Curious goes to the Super Market in search of Apples when sick! An apple a day keeps the Dr. away. Ha!

United States of America

#117923 Nov 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did this excuse something? Seems to me it helps confirm my point. It seems to infer the priest realized he might have spoke more of the deceased.
I've been to many funerals of family and friends, and most of them were conducted the same way, no matter the deceased religion, the pastor/preacher took advantage of a packed church and instead of honoring the deceased with reflections of his life he tried preaching the congregation into heaven or hell..which in my opinion is the wrong time to do so.
I usually go now after the "preaching"so that I may still show respect for the deceased and support for the family members. Honestly, how many of those attending came to be preached @ for 2 hours? The purpose of a funeral is to honor the deceased and reflect on the memories of his life.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117924 Nov 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did this excuse something? Seems to me it helps confirm my point. It seems to infer the priest realized he might have spoke more of the deceased.
To, Topix Moderator
I suggest that certain Atheists on this website, specifically ,Duquette, LODI, Chromeo , Katru and a couple of others,be given a 101 reading comprehension course and not permitted to post again until they pass said course.
No matter how one articulates their point of view , they fail to grasp it's meaning.
Duquette now claims that his uncles credentials as a Catholic are very questionable,said uncle supposedly never went to church and the only time he talked to a priest was when he knew he was going to die and wanted a Catholic burial.
Said uncle was supposedly a psychologist and MD suspects that may be the reason he did not attend church , implying his uncle had no faith .
If this be true , one would assume his uncle to be a hypocrite,which I doubt.
Seems that Duquette adds these new (facts?) to his narrative as we go along in order to justify his erroneous position.
He just recently REMEMBERED some unnamed person also disapproving of the Mass that was held for his uncle.
These additions , conveniently added ,after the fact ,are what I call excuses,,,,,you know they are and you know what I mean...nuff said.
Now, in an effort to deviate from that losing battle,he has become a puppet for Q,
cacafuego

United States of America

#117925 Nov 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
To, Topix Moderator
I suggest that certain Atheists on this website, specifically ,Duquette, LODI, Chromeo , Katru and a couple of others,be given a 101 reading comprehension course and not permitted to post again until they pass said course.
No matter how one articulates their point of view , they fail to grasp it's meaning.
Duquette now claims that his uncles credentials as a Catholic are very questionable,said uncle supposedly never went to church and the only time he talked to a priest was when he knew he was going to die and wanted a Catholic burial.
Said uncle was supposedly a psychologist and MD suspects that may be the reason he did not attend church , implying his uncle had no faith .
If this be true , one would assume his uncle to be a hypocrite,which I doubt.
Seems that Duquette adds these new (facts?) to his narrative as we go along in order to justify his erroneous position.
He just recently REMEMBERED some unnamed person also disapproving of the Mass that was held for his uncle.
These additions , conveniently added ,after the fact ,are what I call excuses,,,,,you know they are and you know what I mean...nuff said.
Now, in an effort to deviate from that losing battle,he has become a puppet for Q,
cacafuego
I can most certainly say that MD has every right to make an educated guess on the matter being as he is a Nephew of the deceased and his father or mother being a sibling.
You were not in attendance, nor were you a member of this family, yet you have the audacity to claim his position is erroneous.

Oh and your tirade of those lacking reading comprehension would only apply to You because every post you try and refute{with your credulous evidence}, you end up proving the other's position

United States of America

#117926 Nov 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Satan doesn't care how you get to hell... Atheist, or Islamic... doesn't matter to him!
You left out Christian....for many are called, but few are chosen!
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117927 Nov 27, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>I can most certainly say that MD has every right to make an educated guess on the matter being as he is a Nephew of the deceased and his father or mother being a sibling.
You were not in attendance, nor were you a member of this family, yet you have the audacity to claim his position is erroneous.
Oh and your tirade of those lacking reading comprehension would only apply to You because every post you try and refute{with your credulous evidence}, you end up proving the other's position
Who are you to say anything.
Look at the facts. His uncle nor his wife consulted said nephew about the funeral arrangements. By his own admission ,he hardly knew his uncle,attested by the fact he didn't even know if his uncle attended church regularly.
Easy to understand that the only one complaining is an Atheist.
His wife ,brothers or any other believers have not complained.
Then,instead of honoring his uncle's memory, he implies that his uncle was a hypocrite ,that he never went to church and only requested a Christian burial once he knew he was dying.
He even implies that his uncle may have been an Atheist.
I am sure his uncle would be VERY disappointed with MD,if he wasn't already.
I don't have to be a relative or have attended the funeral to conclude Dukett is wrong , it is his opinions that convicts him.

And,,,, you and your Chain of Fools better get ready to attend that 101 course in remedial Reading comprehension as it may not be offered again .
Then what? Are you all going to continue torturing your feeble minds ad infinitum?

United States of America

#117928 Nov 27, 2013
Curious, I know it's difficult for you to comprehend but here are the facts of this situation....MD's Uncle died, he attended the funeral with his family, where he heard some disturbing things that were said without any basis of factual proof. He can make that assumption because he was there, 2) because he is family.

I or anyone else has the right to call MD out on his comments because 1} I was not there. 2} I'm not family and it's not my place to call him out on his interpretation of said events! Apparently you have elevated yourself in the Grand position that only "your" god is supposed to hold, which is 'all-knowing'
You've misquoted Q not once but Twice and now you've misquoted MD by saying he said that his uncle only started attending church when he knew he was dying...MD was quoting what his Father had said to him you Flipping Moron!
Who are you to Talk about someone lacking reading comprehension?

United States of America

#117929 Nov 27, 2013
typo above... I or anyone else does Not have the Right......
SistaNY

London, KY

#117930 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that I'm saved, I can, like you, interpret acts of my Lord.
I can conform that my God is angry with all the sinners on the east coast of America and that he is sending a storm to mess up the Thanksgiving Weather.
More proof of CLUELESSness.

REAL natives consider that type of weather stuff REAL Thanksgiving weather. As in-

Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandmothers' house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117931 Nov 27, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>I've been to many funerals of family and friends, and most of them were conducted the same way, no matter the deceased religion, the pastor/preacher took advantage of a packed church and instead of honoring the deceased with reflections of his life he tried preaching the congregation into heaven or hell..which in my opinion is the wrong time to do so.
I usually go now after the "preaching"so that I may still show respect for the deceased and support for the family members. Honestly, how many of those attending came to be preached @ for 2 hours? The purpose of a funeral is to honor the deceased and reflect on the memories of his life.
As usual ,you and Dukett ,being Atheists haven't the foggiest idea
as to what a Catholic funeral entails and so you babble on about
something you both are illequipped to comment on.
Below you will find the procedure ,which the wife and relevant family members either knew or were made aware off when they made the funeral arrangements.

The Funeral Mass

The Georgia Bulletin
The funeral mass is the central rite by which Catholics bid farewell to their loved ones and commend them to God. Each step of the funeral rite has a long tradition and a deep meaning that consoles us in our loss, while expressing our fundamental hope in the resurrection. This article describes the parts of the funeral rite in an attempt to offer an explanation of their meaning and purpose.

Introductory Rites
Before the funeral begins, the family gathers around the coffin at the entry to the church, together with the priest and ministers. Here, he begins the ceremony, and sprinkles the casket with holy water, a sign of the baptism that first united the deceased with God and with His Church. In baptism, the soul of the deceased was made pure and pleasing to God, and this was symbolized by a white baptismal gown. Now, a white pall may be placed over the casket as a sign of that same gift. Thanks to the pall, the caskets of poor and rich all look alike when they are brought into the Church – what matters is not the person's means, but the mantel of Christ's grace that covers them and embraces them. The mortal remains of the deceased are then brought into the church building, just as baptism first brought them into Christ's presence. Their body passes inside the church for a final time, where it often came in life to receive Christ's grace and teaching, and be nourished with His sacraments. When the casket reaches the front of the isle, it is placed before the paschal candle, a sign of the light of Christ within the soul – a light that continues to burn, undiminished, even after death. When the family and all of the mourners have taken their places, the priest then gathers everyone together into a prayer asking God to grant eternal life to the one who has gone before us.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117932 Nov 27, 2013
con't

Liturgy of the Word
After the prayer, everyone is seated for the liturgy of the word.

NOTE
The readings from scripture are chosen from the many offered by the Church to show how God's grace touched the life of the individual who is now before God. Scripture has many words that speak of God's care for his people – both the living and the deceased, and so the liturgy of the word sets out those words that they might touch the hearts of those who are alive, and give them comfort in their loss. A psalm expresses the heart's trust in God's goodness at the moment of death. Finally, a reading from the Gospel speaks Christ's own words of consolation and healing.

After the readings, the priest speaks to the people, giving a brief homily that ties the Word of God spoken in the scriptures to the life of the one who has died. The homily addresses those who are present and shows God's goodness and grace in this time of loss. Following the homily, the priest may invite those present to join in the general intercessions, a series of prayers for the one who has died, and for all those in need.

Liturgy of the Eucharist
NOTE
After the general intercessions, bread and wine are brought forward, and the priest begins the Eucharistic Prayer, doing again what Christ did at the Last Supper, when he promised that he had overcome the world, and would give peace to his disciples (John 16:33). The priest speaks Christ's words, making present the sacrifice by which Christ gave His own life so that those who believe in Him might have true and everlasting life. Those who are joined in the faith of the Catholic Church then receive Holy Communion, a promise of Christ's life and resurrection. In the same way, the one who has died was nourished by Christ's body and blood, and has received the grace that is the promise of eternal life.

Final Commendation
Before the final commendation, a family member might speak a few words in remembrance of the deceased, if this has not already been done at the vigil.

Eulogies and tributes at a Catholic funeral
NOTE
The Vigil is the appropriate time to eulogize the deceased or pay any fraternal or civil tributes. Eulogies are not delivered at the funeral service.
- Then the priest invites all to pray, and may incense the body, the smoke rising to heaven like the prayers offered for the deceased, or even like the soul itself, rising from this world to the more perfect world of heaven. A final song of farewell is said, the prayer of commendation is made, and then the priest and ministers precede the coffin out of the church. The family and friends follow, and all go together to the cemetery, where the body will be laid to rest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should a city school board member sell alcohol ? 17 min Concerned mother 19
beer is selling in barbourville 29 min Jus laughing 10
Board of Education 34 min Coming soon 2
Since beer is made with barley or other starche... 54 min Jus being funny 4
Jenny Buchanan 1 hr Wondering class mate 4
Silver Pontiac G-6 2 hr Tim lawson 1
Bonita Williams BHS board member should RESIGN !!! 2 hr Why 12
Board Meeting 2 hr Family 59
stabbing 12 hr rey 4
More from around the web