Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 170565 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#117682 Nov 22, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ,Let me make sure I understand you correctly ,you believe that
the probability of a God or Gods existence is highly improbable , on the other hand , you accept the possibility that maybe you could be wrong and that there may be a cosmic mega being.
These are views that you can neither prove nor disprove , either factually or by any personal experiences that you may have had along those lines.
Therefore they are be based on your Faith.
Any reason why your condition should not be considered as doublemindedness?
Insofar as explanations provided by Science , they've confirmed Genesis , that the Universe was created ,not eternal ,that man was formed from the dust of the ground.
What Science has been unable to explain is how ,what or whom caused these events to occur.
They are struggling mightily to prove they were caused by natural events ,and that probability is pointing to it being an impossibility.
And they should not stop their search , as it seems they may ultimately prove the total accuracy of the Biblical version of creation
Yes, I do accept the possibility that I may be wrong. I think it's highly unlikely but nevertheless, I can't rule it out entirely.

I mean, how hypocritical would it be if I insisted that I was 100% sure I was right and that everyone else was wrong?

And yes, my views can't be proven or disproven. However, I am also extremely confident that we live in a natural world. Not one where magic reigns and humanity is beset by demons. There is no evidence that our reality is anything other than natural so I fail to see the need to invent a supernatural world.

Science doesn't prove anything, least of all one of the many creation myths. The what/whom are just imaginary. If that imaginary being of yours came out of hiding then perhaps science could explain.

One thing's for sure, science is gradually reducing his hiding places:

People used to think he lived on clouds, in a volcano, in the sea, under the earth, etc. Maybe he's hiding in the cupboard under my stairs - I'll go take a look.

Cambridge, UK

#117683 Nov 22, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on what I wrote and your gross misinterpretation thereof ,and your self proclamation of being right , and telling me what my beliefs mean,leads me to conclude that you have the intelligence of a sheet of twice used toilet paper.
And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt
You are a narcissistic pompous fool ,full of yourself , take that to mean what you want.
You and haven't forgotten must be identical twins.
That is one big pile of manure in one family...
Yeeeeeks
What I know is that genocide is wrong.

So is killing people because they are gay.

So is killing people because they exercise freedom of religion.

Slavery is also wrong.

I also know that you are defending all of the above and more.

I guess, you'll be defending the genocides of Stalin and Hitler next. After all, they had their reasons.

Cambridge, UK

#117684 Nov 22, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Krac , I can understand your anger.
Your lifestyle was not permissible then and unacceptable to decent people now.
There you have it folks.

Better live your life the way those barbaric goat herders want you to or you'll be killed.

There's not much difference between the god of the bible's acts of killing and Stalin killing his millions.

Cambridge, UK

#117685 Nov 22, 2013
curious is a hypocrite.

A couple of weeks ago he was telling us how evil slavery was.

Strange how slavery suddenly becomes a good thing when people are being kidnapped and held against their will because the bible god says it's what he wants.

The same is true for genocide, murder, etc:

Despicable abhorrent acts which no civilised person would condone.

Of course, we all know the barbaric morality of the bible. Which is why, even in the 21st century, curious finds himself defending such horrors.

When your refuse to admit that genocide, murder and slavery are wrong, it's time to re-examine your world view.

Cambridge, UK

#117686 Nov 22, 2013
Anyway curious - tell us about Genesis and how it's been confirmed by science.

Tell us how science confirms the whole universe was created in six days.

Tell us how science confirms that man was created first, followed by vegetation, followed by animals, finally woman was created.

Tell us how science confirms that a snake could talk.

Tells us how science confirms that being naked is evil.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117688 Nov 23, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No Baka Saru,We are familiar with your distortions and insatiable desire to pervert the truth.
The truth contained in whatI have posted about Atheists,that they have tremendous mental problems , depression , suicidial tendencies , drug and alcohol problems much more so than believers or anyone else is well known Among Atheists , but as stated by an Atheist Activist Staks Rosch ,
(This is something we donít like to admit, but it is true. There is a problem within the atheist community of depression and suicide.)
Here are excerpts; Rest has already been posted
Posted by Staks Rosch on Oct 11, 2012 in Atheism, depression
Atheism Has A Suicide Problem
About a year ago a friend of mine died. He was the first person I take credit for de-converting away from theism to atheism. While I canít say for certain that his death was suicide, I canít rule it out. It has also been about four months now since the death of Humanist activist and friend Joe Fox. Joe was the reason I became the head of PhillyCoR and while he seemed like the happiest person you could know and was always there for anyone who needed help, he apparently secretly struggled with depression. I also have another friend who recently de-converted and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the reality that God doesnít exist. While I donít think he is suicidal, I would be surprised if he didnít think about it at times.
(This is something we donít like to admit, but it is true. There is a problem within the atheist community of depression and suicide.)
I know we would all like to believe that atheists are happier people than religious believers .
. Atheists are often isolated and ostracized. We see the sad state of affairs in the world and see the harmful influences of religion which at times seem overwhelming with little to no hope in sight. Religious believers can find help and comfort in their religious institutions, but atheists usually can only find help online or in very small local communities that donít meet very often.
Then there is the transition period in which an atheist has just left religion and feels completely lost. They are often without the community they have depended on for so long
The benefits of accepting Atheism as your faith ,can be very damaging to your health.
They promise to Free you
Their Emancipation Proclamation does not tell you of the problems you will encounter.
You may commit suicide or at least contemplate it. You will be ostracized and separated from your former support groups.
You will feel lost and alone , with no one to help you ,other than going online or asking for help from the support group you abandoned
And those are the good points
Yet again, you demonstrate that you cannot >imagine< that atheism is not a faith/religion.
Rosch is describing the effects of psychological withdrawl. The exact same conditions are evidenced when someone is freed from a cult. Coincidence? Hardly. The simple fact is that for most people just about any fraternal or social organization can evince the same support benefits that a church does - and without the desperate need to believe in mysticism and myths. That goes for most, but what about others? One might surmise a mental condition, chemical imbalance and/or brain damage, as studies have shown. There is a reason that "God told me to do it" is a cliche court defense.
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117689 Nov 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Tornadoes struck America yesterday which sadly resulted in a number of fatalities.
I wonder whether curious or Y & A can enlighten us as to who their god is raging at this time.
If you'd read the Bible... you'd know!
Repent... you've got a storm coming too!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117690 Nov 23, 2013
so true wrote:
you know I have followed each of you , trying to understand each of your views. However I do hearby give up. No matter how much you love and show it , sometimes , certain folks can not return that. I learning not to care, and yes it may be sending me down a dark road, but sometimes things to way a person down,
Don't mean to be negative, but I do understand a lot more now
I know!
None so Blind, as those that refuse to see!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117691 Nov 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Last week you were gloating at the deaths of thousands of Filipinos and claiming it to be a wondrous act of your god.
Looks like your god has been at it again except that this time he's killed Americans.
Care to share what your god is raging at this time?
I do not gloat at peoples deaths, but I mourn their ignorance...
As I do yours!
Repent!
Your storm is coming!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117692 Nov 23, 2013

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117693 Nov 23, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>If you'd read the Bible... you'd know!
Repent... you've got a storm coming too!
Repent? It's your ilk who voted for the a**holes who've been seeding the clouds, ya twit.
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117694 Nov 23, 2013
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117695 Nov 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
I repeat... What Evidence??? You've yet to show any, except you believe......that is not a testable, plausible, or tangible theory.
If you don't have to prove it, then why continue here..why argue it is proof and not present any?
No those 2 did not concede of ID {meaning Judeo-Christian God} could be responsible... you best read again!
And.... Evilution is?
Hahahahahahahahahaha!
God saved me!
Repent!
Seek Him... You'll be Glad you did!
(Notice "SEEK HIM".... that means LOOK for Him, not Look to disprove Him!)
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117696 Nov 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Just consider that last post of mine again.
It doesn't just apply to curious but also to Amber and Y&A.
Being a Christian means, amongst other things, defending genocide and infanticide. It means you approve of the murder of homosexuals, as well as anyone else who wishes to exercise religious freedom.
Whenever they speak of morals just remind them of that inconvenient fact.
No! We defend the Righteousness of His
Judgment!
So keep posting your hate!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117697 Nov 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Flood may have happened but certainly not the worldwide and related events flood as described in the bible.
So....
You were there...
Or are you just guessing, or listening to someone else
that is "JUST GUESSING"?
Either way....
God is Real!
Repent, and SEEK Him....
Unless, you are afraid of what you will find?
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117698 Nov 23, 2013
AntiFlag wrote:
Bull, shit. Atheism does not lead to any problems except having to endure the blather of superstitious idiots.
Sign off, and Cure that problem!
No... you guys just Love to spew hatred, so please post on, as
EVERY post you guys make...
Proves our Bible, and God to be True!
Thanks!
How stupid can you be

Versailles, KY

#117699 Nov 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
By the way.
I told you that your beliefs meant that your defend genocide, killing gays, killing people of other religions. Not to mention defending slavery.
I was right
No... it does NOT!
You Lie like a rug!
See... Jesus said to Love you... Not Kill you!
Giving you a CHANCE to Repent, and CHOOSE Wisely...
Once you have Chosen... it is on you what happens to you!
I feel, at that Time... you will be cussing two people at least...
Us, for not screaming at you to turn from your sins, and
yourselves for Not Listening....
We probably wont hear you cussing, as the singing God's praises
can get quite LOUD!
Repent!
Save yourself from being ashamed!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117700 Nov 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Floods happen... "The" Flood didn't, as described in biblical texts anyway...
Prove it!
Got Photos?
I didn't think so!
Just more conjecture!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#117701 Nov 23, 2013
Thank you Lord Jesus...
Thank you for saving me!
Thank you for cleaning me of my sins!
Thank you for opening my eyes to Satan's ways!
I ask you now to open the eyes of those
that want to repent, and see what you've shown us!
In your Holy Name,
Amen!
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117703 Nov 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
This study was conducted Jan. of this year...the findings are as fo: "We conclude that there is increasing evidence that people who profess spiritual beliefs are more vulnerable to mental disorder.
This is something we donít like to admit, but it is true. There is a problem within the atheist community of depression and suicide.Staks Rosch /Atheist Activist
Are Atheists Mentally Unstable?
by Dan Posted June 23, 2010
The is considerable amount of scientific evidence that suggest that theism is more conducive to mental and physical health than atheism.
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/20... ...
The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:
ď In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authorsí report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.Ē
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/...
In regards to data that relates to mental health and atheism, in December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported the following:
ď Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier.Ē
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/20... ...
In respect to the atheism and mental and physical health, the center offers many studies which suggest that theism is more beneficial than atheism.
http://www.dukespiritualityandhealth.org/
The Christian group Teen Challenge reported the following:
ď Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure rate for the drug addicts graduating from their program attracted the attention of the U.S. Federal Government in 1973. Most secular drug rehabilitation programs only experienced a cure rate of 1-15% of their graduates. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, funded the first year of this study to evaluate the long term results of the Teen Challenge program.Ē
http://www.acadc.org/page/page/2495014.htm
The Russian-born psychoanalyst and writer Lou Andreas-Salomť, who had a brief and tempestuous affair with Nietzsche, believed that Nietzsche's philosophy can be viewed as a reflection of his psychology and that his madness was the result of his philosophizing.
Atheism and Suicide

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wierd absolutely Tickles my Fancy, Seriously! 4 min Thats me 21
doug and lonnie davis (Nov '12) 8 min Not that no one c... 47
Well I can now I've seen all the Davis brothers... (Apr '15) 13 min Not that no one c... 4
Thelmaís restaurant...when is it open? 27 min SN0KE 8
Why is Amanda Couch so crazy over her exes 47 min UFatty 5
Looking for Kenny Saunders (Aug '16) 50 min Charlie 57
Justin Vaughn and Amanda vaughn 1 hr Wondering 1
Warren to receive Knox schools JOB ! ! ! 2 hr Discusted 20

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages