Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Read more: The Courier-Journal 135,599

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Read more

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#117574 Nov 21, 2013
curious wrote:
Why are you suddenly willing to accept that we were created by some superintelligent beings from another planet ,as has Hitchens , Dawkins and Duquette.....???
Here's what I said.
Khatru wrote:
There is a possibility that humanity was created by an alien species and you know what?

That possibility is still considerably more likely than the abracadabra method of creation favoured by you. You know, the one involving a talking snake and a disobedient woman.
It still doesn't change anything because ID for you involves magic and not science. It invokes superstition and ju-ju and onlt applies to the god you have picked to believe in.

ID in this sense is 100% science - no magic or supernatural deity required.

Nottingham, UK

#117575 Nov 21, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Are you a reader of the Bible? Do you believe that the 10 commandments warn against very bad sins? Do you interpret one of the 10 Commandments as meaning Thou shalt not slander? If so, you have sinned are are obviously destined for hell.
I can answer this for him.

He's already stated that the OT is not relevant because he doesn't follow its teachings.

Therefore, the Ten Commandments have no relevance for him.

Nottingham, UK

#117576 Nov 21, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I suspect that the persons who were being called fools are the fundies on here. But if you call someone a fool, isn't that forbidden in your Bible? Won't you go to hell for doing it?
LOL

Looks like they don't know their bibles as well as they think they do.

Nottingham, UK

#117577 Nov 21, 2013
curious wrote:
Well ,after all is said and done , after all your efforts to avoid the issue, here is what your reality is.
You claim not to believe in the existence of God , you can try and sugar coat it ,but that is what you believe.
The proof of God's existence is lodged in your subconscious, from where try as you might , you can not dislodge him.
He is continuouly on your mind . You can't get away from him ,even for a day.
I don't believe in the existence of any gods. Not just yours. You act as if there are no other gods but you can't prove that.
curious wrote:
You claim is that God is a figment of our imagination and he is probably much more on your mind than mine.
It must be a terrible struggle that you face day after day,that which you claim does not exist is imbedded so deeply in your mind that you can not stop thinking about HIM.
Gods. That's plural, you see - not singular.

Yours or anyone else's god are no more on my mind than Sauron is.
curious wrote:
No, far from it,I don't think you are getting a free ride.
You are in search of that which we have ,peace of mind , a sense of Community, able to provide for those in need , a church where apart from their teachings at home,our children can be taught about morals and where we joyfully praise our God etal
Let me correct you again. It's et al (not etal). What's more, "et al" means "and others".

So...it's nice to know that you not only praise your god but you praise other gods too.
curious wrote:
So what happens, studies show that it is in search of those benefits that 20 to 25 % of atheists attend religious services.
It is in search of those benefits that atheists have started their own churches.... Their huge mistake and why they will fail,as their other attempts in the past have ,is that the only ingredient needed
to attain those benefits is GOD....
Show me these studies.
curious wrote:
Not having the capacity to be originators , they will borrow from Christianity hoping to have the same results ,,,And who knows ,once they begin to fail ,someone may well say , Next Sunday ,everyboby bring their bible , see if we can find a solution in there.
BTW that apt description of your nose is more than I wanted to know about you....
Your whole religion is based on others. The bible myths and fables are plagiarised from others and Xtianity is simply Judaism spiced up with paganism. There is precious little originality in your religion.
curious wrote:
A nose like that can only be found on those who have visited and entered UrAnus ,the planet from which Superior Beings removed your ancestors as being unfit and dumped them off here.
I'll take your failure to refute me as your acceptance that I am right and your morals come from you.

Nottingham, UK

#117578 Nov 21, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey 4 posers went to their demise yesterday!
One she was so bad her horrible leader absorbed her then to convince me of her ugliness dissatisfaction she exhibited her grumble face and ofcourse I needed to show that to some one for verification and confirmed. Then one saw evidence of Lamb of God and ignored everything then prior to these proceedings one other one enjoyed so much her delicious life she found the end rather final, then I saw 2nd death dive into the abbess.to recoup to the end the prayer was up in smoke of the one under the Holy Comforter.
Tell me about it Hard day at work I think
You agree that perfect love involves torture.

I knew you Christians were kinky but S&M?

Nottingham, UK

#117579 Nov 21, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
Read.your bible!!!
Notwithstanding the fact that I lack the intestinal fortitude...

What's the point?

After all, we have you and millions of other self-appointed individuals to do that for us.

When you get down to it, we can see that your god is a befuddled fool who is incapable of articulating his message. So he has to rely on you and millions of others to figure out what he actually means.

Nottingham, UK

#117580 Nov 21, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
You are reprehensible...You try and take your 'square' religion and force it into the "rounds" of Scientific practices...which cannot be done. As I stated earlier...There is no peer reviewed paper to proclaim Intelligent Design to be a working, testable or tangible theory. Creationist are constantly trying to figure out ways to introduce their Judeo-Christian God as the supernatural, super intelligent being, as of yet, they have failed on every level.
Do tell us why you are feverishly trying to prove such a thing?
Why are you constantly coming up with different avenues to try and say the same thing? It is not the Scientist's burden to prove existence but rather yours.
Scientist are satisfied with what answers are given at present, but still work diligently to improve that which has already been proven.
curious is like a demented whack-a-mole; popping up from his black hole of superstition and reciting his ju-ju before getting hammered back down.

Nottingham, UK

#117581 Nov 21, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Lodi ,so you"KNEW" the path that HF wanted me to take and he led me inthat path ,whatever that path is?
And how did you come by this knowledge/
Did he call you were you in a meeting with him or did you change monikers ,something you all try to laugh off,knowing it's true.
C'mon gimme your stale denial.
Anyhow , I am glad you have reason to laugh , you lead a very boring and depressing life.
Don't believe in God ,but ,can't get him off your mind.
That which you claim is a figment of my imagination ,is so deeply imbedded and living in your subconscious that try as you might , your mind is forever reminded of his Presence.
Still refuse to condemn genocide, killing of homosexuals and people of other religions?

Told you that your faith (that's pretending to know something you don't) means that you defend these atrocities.

Nottingham, UK

#117582 Nov 21, 2013
Just consider that last post of mine again.

It doesn't just apply to curious but also to Amber and Y&A.

Being a Christian means, amongst other things, defending genocide and infanticide. It means you approve of the murder of homosexuals, as well as anyone else who wishes to exercise religious freedom.

Whenever they speak of morals just remind them of that inconvenient fact.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#117583 Nov 21, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Notwithstanding the fact that I lack the intestinal fortitude...
What's the point?
After all, we have you and millions of other self-appointed individuals to do that for us.
When you get down to it, we can see that your god is a befuddled fool who is incapable of articulating his message. So he has to rely on you and millions of others to figure out what he actually means.
You still don't get it do you.

ART: http://www.artsmia.org/viewer/index.php...

Society: Names of Stars and Constellations - The naming of the stars and constellations, like Orion, can be found in the oldest book in the Scriptures, Job.

Civil Government: The United States three Branch Government originated from Isaiah 33:22 as well as other laws that are found in our Constitution. Maybe that is why the Constitution is the longest lasting in world history. Did you know the Declaration of Independence mentions God four times (Creator, Nature's God, Supreme Judge, and Divine Providence)( timetracts.com )

Music: The music of religious ritual was first used by King David, and, according to the Larousse Encyclopedia of Music, he is credited with confirming the men of the Tribe of Levi as the "custodians of the music of the divine service."[2] Historian Irene Hesk notes that of the twenty-four books of the Old Testament, the 150 Psalms in the Book of Psalms ascribed to King David, have served as "the bedrock of Judeo-Christian hymnology," concluding that "no other poetry has been set to music more often in Western civilization."[3](wiki)

Literature: The first and most notable fact regarding the influence of the Bible on English literature is the remarkable extent of that influence. It is literally everywhere. If every Bible in any considerable city were destroyed, the Book could be restored in all its essential parts from the quotations on the shelves of the city public library. There are works, covering almost all the great literary writers, devoted especially to showing how much the Bible has influenced them.

The literary effect of the King James version at first was less than its social effect; but in that very fact lies a striking literary influence. For a long time it formed virtually the whole literature which was readily accessible to ordinary Englishmen. We get our phrases from a thousand books. The common talk of an intelligent man shows the effect of many authors upon his thinking. Our fathers got their phrases from one great book. Their writing and their speaking show the effect of that book.( bible-researcher.com )

Etc etc.

The KEY words of the original article of this threads SUBECT material being-

"INFLUENCES on..."

There is NO denying the INFLUENCES of it through out history, to those with any actual rational, logical, non-dysfunctional, ethically honest working brain cells anyway, who see no need to deny REALITY.

Nottingham, UK

#117584 Nov 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You still don't get it do you.
ART: http://www.artsmia.org/viewer/index.php...
Society: Names of Stars and Constellations - The naming of the stars and constellations, like Orion, can be found in the oldest book in the Scriptures, Job.
Civil Government: The United States three Branch Government originated from Isaiah 33:22 as well as other laws that are found in our Constitution. Maybe that is why the Constitution is the longest lasting in world history. Did you know the Declaration of Independence mentions God four times (Creator, Nature's God, Supreme Judge, and Divine Providence)( timetracts.com )
Music: The music of religious ritual was first used by King David, and, according to the Larousse Encyclopedia of Music, he is credited with confirming the men of the Tribe of Levi as the "custodians of the music of the divine service."[2] Historian Irene Hesk notes that of the twenty-four books of the Old Testament, the 150 Psalms in the Book of Psalms ascribed to King David, have served as "the bedrock of Judeo-Christian hymnology," concluding that "no other poetry has been set to music more often in Western civilization."[3](wiki)
Literature: The first and most notable fact regarding the influence of the Bible on English literature is the remarkable extent of that influence. It is literally everywhere. If every Bible in any considerable city were destroyed, the Book could be restored in all its essential parts from the quotations on the shelves of the city public library. There are works, covering almost all the great literary writers, devoted especially to showing how much the Bible has influenced them.
The literary effect of the King James version at first was less than its social effect; but in that very fact lies a striking literary influence. For a long time it formed virtually the whole literature which was readily accessible to ordinary Englishmen. We get our phrases from a thousand books. The common talk of an intelligent man shows the effect of many authors upon his thinking. Our fathers got their phrases from one great book. Their writing and their speaking show the effect of that book.( bible-researcher.com )
Etc etc.
The KEY words of the original article of this threads SUBECT material being-
"INFLUENCES on..."
There is NO denying the INFLUENCES of it through out history, to those with any actual rational, logical, non-dysfunctional, ethically honest working brain cells anyway, who see no need to deny REALITY.
The majority of named stars are actually Arabic. I'd say that gives your brothers-in-faith (the Muslims) greater reason to shout about it than the Jews.

Interesting that you choose Job. That's the book that shows it doesn't matter how devout you are - the bible god will still kill your family and torment you for fun.

Please show me the post I made where I denied the influence of religion on our society.

On second thoughts, I'll save you the effort - don't bother because I never made such a post. Yet you make out I have.

Why are you so dishonest? Is it more lies for Jesus? We've already caught curious out with his lies and now you join him.

I agree that the Christian Church has shaped Europe's and thus America's identity. What you conveniently neglect to mention is that so, too, have social and intellectual forces opposed to organised religion, starting with the 18th-century Enlightenment and the French Revolution and going all the way to Marxism-Leninism and the liberalism of the European Court of Human Rights.

Still, your church has every right to exist and have its say, just like a political party or trade union might.

What your church has to realise is that's all it is; a group acting to protect its interests. So in that respect, they have the same rights as any other group (that includes atheists) and it's this equality that they have to recognise and accept:

They have the same rights, they don't have any greater rights.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117585 Nov 21, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Strike 1-Floods etc have already been discussed, not going there again.
Strike 2-I don't have a "Tea Party" that thrusts anything-and if I did it sure wouldn't be any kind of proganda advocating any sort of "entitlemental attitude" to anyone else's ANYTHING.
Strike 3-Too bad for YOU, if YOU cannot accept that not all voters, vote BLINDLY according to some damn ignorant LABEL, rather than basing decisions on PRINCIPLES. And based upon such, that would then make YOU the politically paranoid and prejudice one-NOT me!
And good luck with that--some of us wouldn't trade our Freedom of RIGHTS to do so, for any amount of anything!!
1) The flood, etc. was dealt with and it, etc. didn't happen - my statements stand.
2) We've discussed the Tea Party before. That you denounce it this time comes as a surprise.
3) I vote for candidates, not parties, sides or allegiances. I've read your comments on labelDUHm, and yet you judge, brand and categorize with gusto and glee.
4) Some of us wouldn't trade our freedom of rights, some of us wouldn't trade OTHERS' freedoms of rights, either.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#117586 Nov 21, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>

They have the same rights, they don't have any greater rights.
Exactly-so don't expect everyone to fall and fail for any of that self serving, self centered, bullcrap pile of narcissistic excuses dubbed atheism either.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#117587 Nov 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
1) The flood, etc. was dealt with and it, etc. didn't happen - my statements stand.
2) We've discussed the Tea Party before. That you denounce it this time comes as a surprise.
3) I vote for candidates, not parties, sides or allegiances. I've read your comments on labelDUHm, and yet you judge, brand and categorize with gusto and glee.
4) Some of us wouldn't trade our freedom of rights, some of us wouldn't trade OTHERS' freedoms of rights, either.
1. Floods DID hapeen-FACT. Timelines cary. FACT.
2. Not denouncing it-I agree with the sentiment that the average earning labor force is wayyyy TAXED ENOUGH (and DRAINED DRY) ALREADY.
3. I already said that...but I will add gleefylly-"Partisan" poliTics is for mindless, spineless IDIOTS.
4. Damn straight--and we WILL fight to keep those rights as well, FOR the less able to to among us!

Anything else?

Nottingham, UK

#117588 Nov 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly-so don't expect everyone to fall and fail for any of that self serving, self centered, bullcrap pile of narcissistic excuses dubbed atheism either.
Oh, we don't and you know what?

We don't feel the need to go round telling people that they will burn in eternal hell and damnation if they don't see things our way.

That's what the xtians do, so perhaps you should direct your bile and invective at them.

Nottingham, UK

#117589 Nov 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
For a lot of people, it's reading the flood/Noah's Ark myth when they first realise that the bible is a fantasy.

Most people cotton on at a pretty young age.

Nottingham, UK

#117590 Nov 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I nearly forgot.

Having the same rights is not how millions of Christians would have it: They want their mythology to receive preferential treatment over other people's mythology.

Christians scream and rage, venting their fury against all things secular. Yet all that secularism does is to protect the freedom of conscience for all citizens - it welcomes believers and atheists believers into the public square on equal terms.

In other words, everyone's religious/non-religious freedoms are balanced equally.

That's the best way to be.

Nottingham, UK

#117591 Nov 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
2. Not denouncing it-I agree with the sentiment that the average earning labor force is wayyyy TAXED ENOUGH (and DRAINED DRY) ALREADY.
3. I already said that...but I will add gleefylly-"Partisan" poliTics is for mindless, spineless IDIOTS.
4. Damn straight--and we WILL fight to keep those rights as well, FOR the less able to to among us!
Anything else?
Flood may have happened but certainly not the worldwide and related events flood as described in the bible.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117592 Nov 21, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in the existence of any gods. Not just yours. You act as if there are no other gods but you can't prove that.
<quoted text>
Gods. That's plural, you see - not singular.
Yours or anyone else's god are no more on my mind than Sauron is.
<quoted text>
Let me correct you again. It's et al (not etal). What's more, "et al" means "and others".
So...it's nice to know that you not only praise your god but you praise other gods too.
<quoted text>
Show me these studies.
<quoted text>
Your whole religion is based on others. The bible myths and fables are plagiarised from others and Xtianity is simply Judaism spiced up with paganism. There is precious little originality in your religion.
<quoted text>
I'll take your failure to refute me as your acceptance that I am right and your morals come from you.
You have refuted Nothing,you claim that you believe in no God or Gods but, you fail to explain why you are here every day , discussing that which you claim does not exist.
God consumes your thinking ,you can deny it ,but your actions and that of others , betray you .
There is something in your brain that will not permit you to ignore God. You can say you don't believe in him , but it is very clear , by YOUR ACTIONS , that you are unable to ignore him.
And the issues in question , you refused to address.
All you kept mentioning is Gods plural,

Then you state
" You act as if there are no other gods but you can't prove that."
You fail to address the issue as to why Atheists have a need to create their own Church?
And why they needed to borrow enerything they did in order to create their church, from Christian .

The Studies I refer to have been posted by me on several occasions as you well know...
Stop being evasive ,go back and read what I posted ,deal with the specifics and stop throwing stinkbombbs ,as is your custom.

Evasiveness does not Equal Victory , it is a tactic used to avoid facing reality...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117593 Nov 21, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything else?
1) NOACHIAN FLOOD, not sporadic local floods. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/TE...
2) The Tea Party backers are not interested in the least with whether the average earning labor force receives a living wage. They oppose fair taxation policies for upper tiers and endorse reduced protections and benefits "FOR the less able to to among us." You have never denied having Malthusian inclinations in your economic philosophies.
3) What you say vs what you do shall remain suspect, as you are a proven hypocrite.(see labelDuhm)
4) What you say vs. what you do shall remain suspect, as you are a proven hypocrite.(see Malthusian)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hello? 2 min pool please 1
ralph smith 12 min info 8
holiness man makes food at burger king 38 min Been There 13
Flat Lick Fans (Dec '13) 55 min FLATLICK RULES 45
Houses for rent? 3 hr interested 1
for rent 3 hr interested 6
Was Jesus Christ and the Apostle John Homosexua... 3 hr Saint Pecker 18
the Creekmart 15 hr smartass 9
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search