Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,589)

Showing posts 111,761 - 111,780 of127,849
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Seems it is you who is psychoanalyzing.
Lets continue this psychoanalysis. I think Curious is not really disgusting, I think he has just been brainwashed to believe some disgusting things about god are good things. So if he were to actually realize the god was not real, I would think he would not be in that delusion anymore.
But realistically, I do not see Curious coming around to my side. I debate him for other reasons. According to Curious, those reasons are for my inner wishes to be near god. More realistically it is to reach others reading the conversation. Some is just for fun, some for practice writing. At the least, it gives me something to do while I hang out at the coffee shop. Otherwise, I would probably mindlessly stare at people and look like a freak.
You disappoint me Mikey, as you and Lodi have always claimed you are posting from your jobsites,all the while you are stuffing your face with coffee and donuts at the local Starbucks in Mt. Dora.
That must be the place where Witchetty works full time.
I was there once and the old crone tried to stick me with a bill for an empty cup of coffe and the whole from a donut.
When I was there ,next to my booth was a bedraggled guy drinking his lunch out of a brown paper bag , Had a pet 3 eyed alligator with him. Any idea who that guy might be? He stole my wallett

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

I'm not insisting that my opinions are 100%. And again just my opinion. I'm not trying to force anyone to see things my way. For the record, I'm not beyond thinking of a "greater reality" or "higher consciousness"

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well , you claim that you don't know what or who created life because it is not known.
And I have never said that I know ,I've said that I Believe.
And one of the reasons why I believe as I do , is that in my view only a Supernatural being , who has ALWAYS existed and needs no creator , who posseses a Supernatural life ,supernatural consciousness and Supernatural intelligence is equipped to provide
life,consciousness and intelligence to inferior beings whom he creates.
You want to call that a MYTH, do so.But,you do so based on the fact that you don't know
Therefore it can be said that your faith is based on "you don't know"
My faith is based on my beliefs , which you may call myths.
That does not matter to me , I know and fully understand the basis for my beliefs and they are not based on myths. That is your opinion , based on ignorance ,due to the fact that you are ignorant of the basis for my beliefs.
You pass judgement on something you know nothing about and are totally unfamiliar with.
You have the makings of an Atheist Scientist
Same as You Don't Know either.....Your Belief is based on Faith, not facts....
To assert that the universe (or even just certain objects or animals) are intelligently designed, is not only to assert an understanding of what intelligent design looks like and entails, but is to claim an understanding of what non-design and/or unintelligent design looks like, and also to be able to tell the difference between them using what will undoubtedly be arbitrary criteria. Therefore, ID is not a legitimate scientific theory, but the exact opposite: a purely speculative hypothesis whose breathtaking ambiguity serves not to advance understanding, but to stifle it by suggesting the unknowable and the untestable as an explanation for natural phenomena.
In other words "god did it'

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

It's 10:50 p.m. I'm not working tonight, although I have pulled night shifts in the past. I was lucky to get this Saturday off.

Nice diversion btw
forgot witch # that tactic that was when you were getting pummeled in a debate, perhaps you can refresh my memory.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

I'm just saying if your god is the Intelligent Designer here.... he wasn't too intelligent. IDest like to claim that the beginning of Cambrian period lends credence to the idea of intelligent agency, the subsequent extinction of Cambrian organisms poses yet another problem for ID. If the universe is intelligently created, how does one account for the fact that over 99% of all species that have ever existed are no more? That's some design. Rather than deal a blow to evolutionary theory, the implicit lesson of the Cambrian "explosion" seems to confirm one of its fundamental maxims -- that only the fittest shall survive. Thankfully, this principle also applies to scientific theories, and hopefully in due time the American public will realize that Intelligent Design is so insufferably weak that it should no longer be allowed to live.
Known Fact of Florida

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Same as You Don't Know either.....Your Belief is based on Faith, not facts....
To assert that the universe (or even just certain objects or animals) are intelligently designed, is not only to assert an understanding of what intelligent design looks like and entails, but is to claim an understanding of what non-design and/or unintelligent design looks like, and also to be able to tell the difference between them using what will undoubtedly be arbitrary criteria. Therefore, ID is not a legitimate scientific theory, but the exact opposite: a purely speculative hypothesis whose breathtaking ambiguity serves not to advance understanding, but to stifle it by suggesting the unknowable and the untestable as an explanation for natural phenomena.In other words "god did it'
I'm curious---If you Atheists could succeed in convincing ever human being alive that there is no god---How would that benefit you? Maybe further Satan's ambition but I fail to see how that could possibly benefit you. Please enlighten me.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

One more thing....why would an Intelligent Designer create anything and every thing including life forms, when the end results are going to be destroyed anyway??

What was the purpose? Did he do this just to see if he could?

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Of course the above being your belief that destruction is inevitable.....
Known Fact of Florida

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

I'm curious---If you Atheists could succeed in convincing ever human being alive that there is no god---How would that benefit you? Maybe further Satan's ambition but I fail to see how that could possibly benefit you. Please enlighten me.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
I'm merely stating my opinion. Whether you agree or not is up to you.
I don't believe in satan either.
Known Fact of Florida

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
I'm merely stating my opinion. Whether you agree or not is up to you.
I don't believe in satan either.
By the same reasoning why not decide there are no thieves either and because of your opinion you leave all of your belongings open so anyone can take what they want. Would your opinion serve as a protection for you. I am sure Satan is delighted because you choose not to believe in him! 2 Corinthians 4:4

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Let's describe/define god. If we don't there can't be any real debate. God is all knowing/powerful, and has a set of rules he wants us to know. Now, here's a fact, we don't all know those rules. So, either god doesn't have the ability to tell us the rules, which would make him not all knowing/powerful, and thus not god. Or he wouldn't have rules he wants us to know, and then he wouldn't be god.

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
By the same reasoning why not decide there are no thieves either and because of your opinion you leave all of your belongings open so anyone can take what they want. Would your opinion serve as a protection for you. I am sure Satan is delighted because you choose not to believe in him! 2 Corinthians 4:4
Provide ANY evidence Satan exists. ANY at all. Free clue: Buy bull quotes don't count.

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It would free people. The battle for the right to marry someone of another race was a battle against "god", just like the battle for gay marriage is. Belief in god holds people back. It has impeded science. Think of how many people have been killed because people believed god wanted them to kill. 9/11 is an example.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are describing the mechanics involved ,nowhere is there an explanation as to how creation may have been caused by any of these mechanisms.
If it were so, then Atheist Scientists would be able to employ these natural methods and create life ,or consciousness or intelligence.
Instead , since the mechanisms are not creators , Atheist Scientists are working feverishly in their labs ,under controlled conditions trying to design a formula that will permit them to create the simplest form of life...Which they have failed to accomplish.
Then again , they are trying to create that which they claim DOES NOT NEED A CREATOR,,,the irony of it all.
BTW, quote your sources , to not do so will earn you a trip to the HERSHEY FACTORY...a LITTLE HUMOR, DON'T GET UPSET
Sources:
[1] http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php .

[2] Ernst Mayr. "The Objects of Selection". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. Vol. 94, No. 6. March 18, 1997. Available at http://www.pnas.org/content/94/6/2091.full .

[3] Christopher J. Schneider. "Natural Selection and Speciation". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. Vol 97, No. 23. November 7, 2000. Available at http://www.pnas.org/content/97/23/12398.full .

[4] "What Causes DNA Mutations?" at http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/archive/slooze... .

[5] Michael Behe. Darwin's Black Box. Free Press. New York, NY. 1996.

[6] Richard Dawkins. The God Delusion. Houghton Mifflin. New York, NY, 2006.

[7] Michael Land and Dan-Eric Nilsson. Animal Eyes, Oxford University Press. USA, 2004.

[8] Richard A. Fortey, E.G. Briggs, and Matthew A. Wills. "The Cambrian evolutionary 'explosion' recalibrated". BioEssays, Vol. 19, No. 5. May 1997

[9] For an excellent overview of the evolution of the eye, see W.J. Gehring. "New Perspectives on Eye Development and the Evolution of Eyes and Photoreceptors". Journal of Heredity, Vol. 96, No. 3. 2005. Available at http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/... .

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
Seems that your faith has led you into the mental state of idiotism and noncomprehension.
You try to imply that the criteria for my beliefs are the same criteria you have for your beliefs.
At no time have I mentioned magic as the basis for my beliefs.
You believe that the sun stopped moving in the sky and went backwards. You believe in talking animals, demons, giants, unicorns and dragons. You believe that someone's shadow or handkerchief can heal you. You believe that a flood could cover the earth and where a man could walk on water, turn water into wine, calm a stormy sea, be swallowed by a big fish and live to tell about it.

It's a world where a god lives in the sky and he gets intimidated when his creation build a tall building. You believe in a god who hates his creation and is pleased by human and animal sacrifices.

You don't have to mention "magic" for us to know what your beliefs are in very much the same way as you don't have to mention "gullible" when it comes to your state of mind.
curious wrote:
If I were to believe , as Atheist Scientists do , that natural laws are able to create life,intelligence and consciousness where none existed previously,then I would be using magic as the basis for my faith.
Actually, you'd be using science but you've abandoned that in favour of magic.
curious wrote:
WE KNOW THAT LAWS ARE INCAPABLE of creating or designing anything.
The laws of nature are merely a series of words which we use in explaining how things may or do occur.
You don't use science in your worldview. Remember? You like magic and demons.

Your world is full of visions, inspired dreams, prophetic utterances, miracle workers, magicians, diviners, etc. Man is not in control of his life. Evil spirits may possess him or Satan may inspire him with evil thoughts.

It is all, of course, complete and utter nonsense. It's absolutely amazing that people in this day and age really do believe such rubbish. Like I said, you're gullible.
curious wrote:
Abracadabra is a "magical" word and is quite uncapable of creating all the abovementioned properties which humans posses.
So your god is unable to say abracadbra and create humans? Why do you people say he can do anything when he clearly can't? More lies for Jesus, eh?
curious wrote:
That is the formula that you base your faith on and Atheist Scientists subscribe to;
"That which has no previous existence and has no way of knowing that it has never existed is somehow capable of self creating properties that are so complex and pass them on to nonliving,nonconscious and nonintelligent matter."
That puts paid to your god then.
curious wrote:
And Atheist Scientists , determined to prove that life does not need a creator and determined to prove their point , are doing so by attempting to create life in their laboratories.
Just think that if they do manage it in the next hundred years they will have done it billions of years faster than it took your god.

Why don't you show me the evidence for your god?

It's because you have no evidence. If you had real, tangible evidence you wouldn't have to keep using the f-word.

I know that you'd dearly love to have proper empirical evidence that can be measured and tested. I bet you ache to be able to prove all us doubters wrong. Such a shame that none of the world's religions are able to do this.

Also, the science you hate so much would provide the evidence if it could. However it can't provide evidence of no gods. Mind you, it can't provide evidence of no leprechauns, tooth fairy, elves, etc.

So your absent god is in good company with all the other absent deities and magical beings.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish one , I am as calm as the eye of a storm.
It is you and the legion of fools that inhabit this website that need be worried
Soon,all of you will be the main Ingredient for HERSHEYS NEWEST CANDY BAR.
As soon as consumers find out that the main ingredient is composed of Atheist Nuts ,they will refuse to buy and you will sit on the shelves for years on end and become stale , much like your Atheist Faith.
I see that you also posted as Parent ,agreeing with this post.
What a Klutz.......
Paranoid? Not much, eh?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You're the one who believes in Satan.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
Let's describe/define god. If we don't there can't be any real debate. God is all knowing/powerful, and has a set of rules he wants us to know. Now, here's a fact, we don't all know those rules. So, either god doesn't have the ability to tell us the rules, which would make him not all knowing/powerful, and thus not god. Or he wouldn't have rules he wants us to know, and then he wouldn't be god.
I very much doubt they can do that.

Of course that means they've lost.
Such joke much laugh

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Good? The bible is going to teach good? Haha, yes of course. Let's by all means subdue my fellow students and I to such a 'good' and 'powerful' tool. They can teach us all about how females need to cover up and shut up, or be stoned to death. Fantastic! Sorry but I refuse to be brainwashed by a religion that claims to be 'good' with nothing but evil intentions of controlling everything that a person does. Isn't weird how god killed 2.4 MILLION people in the bible, yet Satan the 'DEVIL WHO IS BAD AN EVIL', only killed 10? Life is so funny wow. Religion is a joke, and I would really rather learn about things that will help me excel in my future, not made up stories about the magical man in the sky. Stop trying to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat! Separation of church and state, school is included in state. So if you want to teach your child the wonders of jesus christ and his holy torture, pay for a private Christian Academy. Because after all Christianity isn't free, no, you have to pay for such 'good'. You're welcome!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 111,761 - 111,780 of127,849
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

56 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Jay 144,683
Richard and Sarah hicks 2 hr LOL 9
free phones for anybody that gets food stamps o... 2 hr dat girl 1
trail camera 2 hr Get Real 13
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr only me 16,114
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 2 hr 75 Scorpio 3,736
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 3 hr ques 1,008
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 9 hr billy 370
KC Basketball Coach 13 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••