Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147270 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Saywhat

London, KY

#117435 Nov 19, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
So which of the several Bibles is the "only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD."
REPEAT for the THIRD time:
If you are going to have Bible study in the public schools, who is going to decide which Bible to study?
There are, after all, several different Bibles.
To most Protestants, it is the King James version. However, Roman Catholics have their own version, which has parts that the King James does not. They also object to their children having to study the King James or other Protestant versions. Protestants object to their children studying the Catholic Bible. The Eastern Orthodox have their own Bible, in at least two versions. Then there is the Ethiopian Bible, which has several books that none of the European Bibles have. I think the Copts and the Armenians also have distinct Bibles.
And, of course, Jews object to the New Testament, period.
And how are you going to deal with the parental uproar when their children have to study a Bible that they object to? Are Protestants who believe that the King James version is the only real Bible going to agree to use the Roman Catholic Bible? Are either going to agree to use the Eastern Orthodox Bible? And what if a teacher or school system decides to study the Ethiopian Bible?
And what about the Jews? Are they going to be forced to study the New Testament, which none of them belive to be scriptural and some think is totally abhorrent?
I AM WAITING FOR A SPECIFIC ANSWER YOU STUPID IGNORANT RELIGIOUS BIGOT!
And NO ONE EVER objected to any of us studying ANYTHING.

E-V-E-R.
Question

Hopkinsville, KY

#117436 Nov 19, 2013
Saywhat wrote:
<quoted text>
Having been raised Catholic I can assure you one hundred percent -that you are quite WRONG about Catholics studying a "different" Bible, and that there is no special "Catholic Bible".
Where some of you people get such ludicrousness from sometimes, is the only "questionable question."
Oh! Then please explain to me why when I lay the Bible that a Catholic priest friend of mine gave me beside a King James version and check off the books of the Old Testament, the KJV comes up short a few. It is missing:

Tobit
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
The Book of Wisdom
Baruch

The book of Joel is also in a different place.
Question

Hopkinsville, KY

#117437 Nov 19, 2013
Saywhat wrote:
<quoted text>
And NO ONE EVER objected to any of us studying ANYTHING.
E-V-E-R.
Actually, yes they did. Outside of Puritan New England, Bible study was not a part of the public school curriculum until the 1830s-40s. In the 1870s, when Roman Catholics were just starting to emigrate to the United States in large numbers and were as feared and hated by Protestants as Muslims are now, there was a big dispute about which version of the Bible, the King James or the one used by the Roman Catholic Church. Each one objected to the other's version. Jews, who were also arriving in sizable numbers, objected to the New Testament. As a result, there were several lawsuits. A number of states decided to avoid the problem by simply taking all Bible study out of the public schools.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117438 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you search the Theory of Evolution for some grand religious/philosophical meaning? You won't find it.
Scientific theories are neither moral or immoral - they just are. I don't look to evolutionary theory for moral guidance anymore than I look to gravitational theory. If you expect to find ethics in scientific theories then you're a bigger fool than you already come across as.
The Romans were religious and sophisticated for their time, yet they thought nothing of entertaining themselves by watching gladiators kill each other. Shared experiences through time has taught us that this is wrong and now we see public killings of any kind as barbaric. However, let religion take over and public killings are just fine.
Our morals come from within and from shared experiences.
In any event, you try to limit your morality within your religions and that is a fundamental mistake as no religion has a monopoly on good ethics.
Since Evolution nor DNA provide us with a noral code ,what does?
Your answer that"Our morals come from within" explains nothing.
" and from our shared experiences" explains even less.
Can you give some meaning to those empty words?
On what evidence are they based?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117439 Nov 19, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Awww, did I hurt your feelings?
You think it was good manners and polite etiquette when you refused my invitation because you prefer "younger witches?"
I have tried at times to treat you as a reasonable, intelligent human being.
You throw it back with lies and sarcasm.
It is easy to see that you didn't mean the "apology" nor the invitation.
You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult.
<quoted text>
Which you are certainly familiar with....
<quoted text>
LOL! There you go again, making up lies to justify what you want to do or believe.
I am an old lady...and your "god" is imaginary. Both true statements.
Try to deal with reality sometime.
Yes , you did hurt my feelings ,deeply , so deep , I contemplated suicide , wanted to cut my wrists with a dull instrument , fortunately I was unable to locate an Atheist Brain...

So , you are an old lady looking for a hot time , or so you say.
As you stated
"You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult."
Can you imagine that , an old lady tryint to put a move on a rude child. Must be your predatorial instincts at work.
What did you have in mind? Your response can land you some jail time ,so be careful..
Anyhow , you ain't no old lady , you know it and I know it.
You may be Chroe 's 3 eyed alligator , but you ain't no old lady...you be a man.....You twit ...think I'm on drugs

Las Cabras ,para el Corral
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117440 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
When Dawkins talks about the possibility of ID he is still advocating Darwin and discounting gods and magic.
I know he is discounting God and I know he is discounting Magic.
What he is saying ,somewhat similar to Hitchens is that there is a possibility that humans were created by a Superior Civilization, for which he has no evidence and they dropped us of here for some unstated reason.
And why is he making those types of statements ?
Why did Hitchens claim those as "His Views"
What do they know that they won't tell us?
If you are a diehard Atheist , what could occur , that would cause those thoughts to enter your mind?

But then again ,it is their deep held belief , Intelligence had nothing to do with our being created

I'll bet when Orson Welles narrated War of the Worlds in England , Dawkins went into hiding in Sherwood Forrest ,feared his ancestors were coming to get him.... LOL
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117441 Nov 19, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Being ashamed and doing wrong are two different things stupid. Maybe she feels her wrongdoings were not so horrible as to feel shame now. Maybe she earned forgiveness from those she trespassed against, thus alleviating shame and guilt.
But you have never asked, you just leaped to conclusions.
Hey , Ricky Retardo , She stated that she had never done anything for which she need feel ashamed... That is very plain . You coming in trying to clean up the mess does not cut it. She puked and your attempt to clean it up with nonsense still leaves the puke on the floor.
Talk to Chroe and come up with a different strategy;
You can call it" Let's Save the Witch ,by Any and All Means"
Me , I say ,drop a house on her , just like in the other Fairy tale that is so popular among Atheists.
Susej Itna

Gainesville, FL

#117442 Nov 19, 2013
yoohooo wrote:
<quoted text>There is only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD. I pray for those who doubt & are lost to the untruths of this worlds' views.:(
The word of god is a word of fraud. You have absolutely not one shred of evidence that yours or any god exists.

To claim you do is a sign of insanity and you and yours should be locked up for the sake of society.
Susej Itna

Gainesville, FL

#117443 Nov 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Since Evolution nor DNA provide us with a noral code ,what does?
Your answer that"Our morals come from within" explains nothing.
" and from our shared experiences" explains even less.
Can you give some meaning to those empty words?
On what evidence are they based?
When enough people were killed for coveting their neighbors wives, a new moral law was formed. We are creature with an ability to reason and when something bad happens, as intelligent creatures, we learn from those events.
Why is it so difficult to understand that people are capable of deductive reasoning? Is it because you're mind can only follow a guideline if it was written down by some old middle eastern stone age cretin?
If we go by your precious Bible, any woman who's not a virgin when she gets married should be stoned until death. No, stupid, that doesn't mean she overdoses. That means that stone age cretins pick up rocks the size of a baseball and strike your impure wife until she dies.

Praise Jesus.
medium

Harrogate, TN

#117444 Nov 19, 2013
yoohooo wrote:
<quoted text>There is only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD. I pray for those who doubt & are lost to the untruths of this worlds' views.:(
Nope. I am sure there are several different versions. Which one are you refering too?

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#117445 Nov 19, 2013
God loves and is greater than any man, he is my Father as he has begotten me and he is my great hugh fortress. My Lord Jesus is my King of Kings and is my glorious savior and my good and perfect love of my life! Full of Mercy and Living fullness to live endless life unto him in Love and Truth. Not Hate! But in His Love always.

I am thankful to our Holy Holy Holy Father in my life and my Jesus The Lord in my Life. And Yours! The healthy have no need of a physician but the sinners !!! Jesus is!! He is with you!! Come quickly now? By your grace I am saved Jesus Christ!!

God does love, Christ is love! Are you believing? For God so Loved the World he gave his only Begotten son to save us from our sin and your faith can set you free if you hold to you faith in strength of The Lord.

Remeber to ask and know you are loved.!!!
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117446 Nov 19, 2013
Susej Itna wrote:
<quoted text>
When enough people were killed for coveting their neighbors wives, a new moral law was formed. We are creature with an ability to reason and when something bad happens, as intelligent creatures, we learn from those events.
Why is it so difficult to understand that people are capable of deductive reasoning? Is it because you're mind can only follow a guideline if it was written down by some old middle eastern stone age cretin?
If we go by your precious Bible, any woman who's not a virgin when she gets married should be stoned until death. No, stupid, that doesn't mean she overdoses. That means that stone age cretins pick up rocks the size of a baseball and strike your impure wife until she dies.
Praise Jesus.
Let's see ? From dade city are ya?
Either Central Florida is being invaded by Atheists or a Cenhtral Florida Atheist is flooding this website with different monikers?
Now , who would that be?

Tu si babu ,Baka Saru
Las Cabras,para el Corral Los Locos,para el manicomio
Se te estan viendo las pantaletas

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#117447 Nov 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes , you did hurt my feelings ,deeply , so deep , I contemplated suicide , wanted to cut my wrists with a dull instrument , fortunately I was unable to locate an Atheist Brain...
So , you are an old lady looking for a hot time , or so you say.
As you stated
"You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult."
Can you imagine that , an old lady tryint to put a move on a rude child. Must be your predatorial instincts at work.
What did you have in mind? Your response can land you some jail time ,so be careful..
Anyhow , you ain't no old lady , you know it and I know it.
You may be Chroe 's 3 eyed alligator , but you ain't no old lady...you be a man.....You twit ...think I'm on drugs
Las Cabras ,para el Corral
My, my.....
Seems I've touched a sensitive spot with my rejection of you.
Imagine that. LOL!
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117448 Nov 19, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
My, my.....
Seems I've touched a sensitive spot with my rejection of you.
Imagine that. LOL!
So that's what you had in mind?
Ya wanna touch My sensitive spot?
That wording will not get you jail time , but neither will it make your dream come true.....I'm not a Brit.....LOL
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117449 Nov 19, 2013
C.S. Lewis & Intelligent Design

&fe ature=youtu.be
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117450 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Ezekiel, eh?
Looks like you've been eating cakes baked in accordance with your god's divine recipe.
I also noticed that you missed out Ezekiel 18:20
"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."
That screws up the concept of Hell. If souls that sin end up dying then they won't be living in eternal torture in Hell, will they?
Also, the idea that we are being punished for Adam's sin is also nonsense as it clearly says that we don't bear the iniquity of our fathers.
It's Not for Adam's sin... No!
You have plenty of your own to account for...
Unless you WANT forgiveness.. then you know what to do!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117451 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
The bibles were written by men. No invisible sky pixie had anything to do with them.
For example:
Paul tells us quite clearly in unambiguous terms that no one is righteous.
"As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one”
-Romans 3:10-
However, James says it differently:
"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
-James 5:16-
How can a righteous man pray when Paul has said that no one is righteous?
Oh dear, looks like yet another of those many contradictions from the befuddled brain of the bible god.
"The bibles were written by men"
So were your science books... every book for that matter, but
Only one book can help you become righteous... I doubt you want that!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117452 Nov 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru , your lying deceptive ways are confirmed by yur intentional omission of what Paul said regarding righteousness;
(Romans 3:10-26 )(New International Version)
10 As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”[a]
13 “Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”[b]
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[c]
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[d]
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[e]
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”[f]
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.
Righteousness Through Faith
21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[g] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[h] through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
Footnotes:
Romans 3:12 Psalms 14:1-3; 53:1-3; Eccles. 7:20
Romans 3:13 Psalm 5:9
Romans 3:13 Psalm 140:3
Romans 3:14 Psalm 10:7 (see Septuagint)
Romans 3:17 Isaiah 59:7,8
Romans 3:18 Psalm 36:1
Romans 3:22 Or through the faithfulness of
Romans 3:25 The Greek for sacrifice of atonement refers to the atonement cover on the ark of the covenant (see Lev. 16:15,16).
Great post!
They always post only what looks bad, and never the reasons why something was done, or said!
Liberals, hey?
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117454 Nov 19, 2013
Question wrote:
REPEAT:
If you are going to have Bible study in the public schools, who is going to decide which Bible to study?
There are, after all, several different Bibles.
To most Protestants, it is the King James version. However, Roman Catholics have their own version, which has parts that the King James does not. They also object to their children having to study the King James or other Protestant versions. Protestants object to their children studying the Catholic Bible. The Eastern Orthodox have their own Bible, in at least two versions. Then there is the Ethiopian Bible, which has several books that none of the European Bibles have. I think the Copts and the Armenians also have distinct Bibles.
And, of course, Jews object to the New Testament, period.
I AM WAITING FOR AN ANSWER.
And how are you going to deal with the parental uproar when their children have to study a Bible that they object to?
The Geneva Bible... you know... the one that came over on the Mayflower!
There's no uproar, as it is "Elective"...
If you'd went to school... you'd know that means your kids don't have to go!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#117455 Nov 19, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
It's alarming what the creationist are willing to do and the lengths they willing to go to get their religious beliefs intergraded into the public school systems.
Their "play" and use of "wording" is nothing but a back-door attempt to do just that.
Your concern would be all well and good...
If God didn't create everything....
Since I/we know better, and you could know more than you do...
Seek Him, and you'll be here posting positively for Creationists!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bath Salts Being Sold As Meth 20 min CARTEL 4
Fertility Problems...Any Suggestions? (Jan '10) 58 min Juan 34
Looking to hook up with random men! 5 hr Blondie 4
Setting the record straight. 5 hr a friend 17
sunday sales!!!!!!! 5 hr Singh 7
Roark Meats or the Slaughter house (Feb '13) 5 hr expert killer 22
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 5 hr Feloni 1,201
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages