Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 153914 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#117422 Nov 19, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>what about the part where Stein visits Dachau and, when informed by the guide that lots of Jews had been killed there, he buries his face in his hands as though this is the first time he has heard of it. Obviously it was not his intention, but I thought his rotten acting was an insult to the memory of the victims.
Indeed. I seriously can’t think of anything more sickening about this film than the flogging of Holocaust victims just to help beat the drum of Stein’s historically inept ideology. Real historians all snort in derision, at best, at the ludicrously simplistic and grossly selective connections Stein and Co. draw between Darwin and the Nazi gas chambers. But because Expelled! cannot seriously debate scientists on the evolutionary evidence for any length of time, little is left to do but to grab Godwin and run with it.
Here's some moving footage of the late great DR Jacob Bronowski at Auschwitz. His words, as ever, are wise.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117423 Nov 19, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I was, and when one applies that same theory, your answer was very quite LOGICAL!!!!!
UNlike Chromoilio's, who can twist and distort a pretzel into a micro freeze dried curly fry.
Just following your lead, M'dear and don't be silly. Pretzels are made from wheat flour and curly fries are made from potatoes.
However, I do know some religies who routinely make straw men out of whatever is handy. Does that qualify as miraculous as per water into wine?

Cambridge, UK

#117424 Nov 19, 2013
Apologies to my American friends on here although I make no apologies to the Christians.

Despite their wailing and whining about being persecuted, Christians are still the majority in America and by a massive margin, too.

Looks like it would be better for the children if that wasn't the case:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldview...

"A new report by the United Nations Children's Fund, on the well-being of children in 35 developed nations, turned up some alarming statistics about child poverty. More than one in five American children fall below a relative poverty line, which UNICEF defines as living in a household that earns less than half of the national median.

The United States ranks 34th of the 35 countries surveyed, above only Romania and below virtually all of Europe plus Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan."

The best countries where children are cared for and looked after?

Why, it's the secular nations where religion is at its weakest.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#117425 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Apologies to my American friends on here although I make no apologies to the Christians.
Despite their wailing and whining about being persecuted, Christians are still the majority in America and by a massive margin, too.
Looks like it would be better for the children if that wasn't the case:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldview...
"A new report by the United Nations Children's Fund, on the well-being of children in 35 developed nations, turned up some alarming statistics about child poverty. More than one in five American children fall below a relative poverty line, which UNICEF defines as living in a household that earns less than half of the national median.
The United States ranks 34th of the 35 countries surveyed, above only Romania and below virtually all of Europe plus Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan."
The best countries where children are cared for and looked after?
Why, it's the secular nations where religion is at its weakest.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#117426 Nov 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just following your lead, M'dear and don't be silly. Pretzels are made from wheat flour and curly fries are made from potatoes.
However, I do know some religies who routinely make straw men out of whatever is handy. Does that qualify as miraculous as per water into wine?
No. I didn't fall for that kind of stuff when I was seven, and I sure as ell wouldn't now.
Just because there wasn't a specific recipe scribed, doesn't mean grapes weren't added.
Tsk and geez.

Cambridge, UK

#117427 Nov 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =16K6m3Ua2nwXX
Very good - thanks for that.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#117428 Nov 19, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I didn't fall for that kind of stuff when I was seven, and I sure as ell wouldn't now.
Just because there wasn't a specific recipe scribed, doesn't mean grapes weren't added.
Tsk and geez.
You got that right - there was a whole lot more than grapes added, but try to tell the zealots that too many muckers and nightmen spoil the broth.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#117429 Nov 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text> Now I know the basis for your moral code and on that basis I must need apologize.
Maybe we can have that coffee after all , Is the offer still open?
I will pay.....up to $5.00 ,that's all I got.
Anything above that , we either wash dishes ,run out without paying or you dig into your purse for the difference.
I know you gots money,you gots 3 jobs,so don't gimme no lip.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
listen , your ill manners and lack of etiquette are becoming glaringly clear.
Awww, did I hurt your feelings?
You think it was good manners and polite etiquette when you refused my invitation because you prefer "younger witches?"

I have tried at times to treat you as a reasonable, intelligent human being.
You throw it back with lies and sarcasm.
It is easy to see that you didn't mean the "apology" nor the invitation.
You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Denial is a form of self deception.....
Which you are certainly familiar with....
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a male,pretending to be a female ,which you will deny and I won't believe.
That is the reason I rejected your overtures , I don't play that game with men
You may find nothing wrong with that but,it is against my moral code
LOL! There you go again, making up lies to justify what you want to do or believe.

I am an old lady...and your "god" is imaginary. Both true statements.
Try to deal with reality sometime.
yoohooo

Burkesville, KY

#117430 Nov 19, 2013
Mohandas Ghandi wrote:
Which bible? There are several hundred different religions and interpretations of those religions.
There is only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD. I pray for those who doubt & are lost to the untruths of this worlds' views.:(

Cambridge, UK

#117431 Nov 19, 2013
yoohooo wrote:
<quoted text>There is only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD. I pray for those who doubt & are lost to the untruths of this worlds' views.:(
Actually, there are lots of gods.

You do realise that you need to be specific when talking about the god that you have picked to worship?

Which god have you opted for?

Cambridge, UK

#117432 Nov 19, 2013
Tornadoes struck America yesterday which sadly resulted in a number of fatalities.

I wonder whether curious or Y & A can enlighten us as to who their god is raging at this time.
Question

Paducah, KY

#117433 Nov 19, 2013
yoohooo wrote:
<quoted text>There is only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD. I pray for those who doubt & are lost to the untruths of this worlds' views.:(
So which of the several Bibles is the "only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD."

REPEAT for the THIRD time:

If you are going to have Bible study in the public schools, who is going to decide which Bible to study?

There are, after all, several different Bibles.

To most Protestants, it is the King James version. However, Roman Catholics have their own version, which has parts that the King James does not. They also object to their children having to study the King James or other Protestant versions. Protestants object to their children studying the Catholic Bible. The Eastern Orthodox have their own Bible, in at least two versions. Then there is the Ethiopian Bible, which has several books that none of the European Bibles have. I think the Copts and the Armenians also have distinct Bibles.

And, of course, Jews object to the New Testament, period.

And how are you going to deal with the parental uproar when their children have to study a Bible that they object to? Are Protestants who believe that the King James version is the only real Bible going to agree to use the Roman Catholic Bible? Are either going to agree to use the Eastern Orthodox Bible? And what if a teacher or school system decides to study the Ethiopian Bible?

And what about the Jews? Are they going to be forced to study the New Testament, which none of them belive to be scriptural and some think is totally abhorrent?

I AM WAITING FOR A SPECIFIC ANSWER YOU STUPID IGNORANT RELIGIOUS BIGOT!
Saywhat

London, KY

#117434 Nov 19, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
So which of the several Bibles is the "only ONE GOD & ONE LIVING, BREATHING,LIFE SAVING WORD or RELIGION! The WORD of GOD."
If you are going to have Bible study in the public schools, who is going to decide which Bible to study?
To most Protestants, it is the King James version. However, Roman Catholics have their own version, which has parts that the King James does not. They also object to their children having to study the King James or other Protestant versions. Protestants object to their children studying the Catholic Bible. The Eastern Orthodox have their own Bible, in at least two versions. Then there is the Ethiopian Bible, which has several books that none of the European Bibles have. I think the Copts and the Armenians also have distinct Bibles.
And how are you going to deal with the parental uproar when their children have to study a Bible that they object to? Are Protestants who believe that the King James version is the only real Bible going to agree to use the Roman Catholic Bible? Are either going to agree to use the Eastern Orthodox Bible? And what if a teacher or school system decides to study the Ethiopian Bible?
And what about the Jews? Are they going to be forced to study the New Testament, which none of them belive to be scriptural and some think is totally abhorrent?
Having been raised Catholic I can assure you one hundred percent -that you are quite WRONG about Catholics studying a "different" Bible, and that there is no special "Catholic Bible".

Where some of you people get such ludicrousness from sometimes, is the only "questionable question."
Saywhat

London, KY

#117435 Nov 19, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
And NO ONE EVER objected to any of us studying ANYTHING.

E-V-E-R.
Question

Paducah, KY

#117436 Nov 19, 2013
Saywhat wrote:
<quoted text>
Having been raised Catholic I can assure you one hundred percent -that you are quite WRONG about Catholics studying a "different" Bible, and that there is no special "Catholic Bible".
Where some of you people get such ludicrousness from sometimes, is the only "questionable question."
Oh! Then please explain to me why when I lay the Bible that a Catholic priest friend of mine gave me beside a King James version and check off the books of the Old Testament, the KJV comes up short a few. It is missing:

Tobit
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
The Book of Wisdom
Baruch

The book of Joel is also in a different place.
Question

Paducah, KY

#117437 Nov 19, 2013
Saywhat wrote:
<quoted text>
And NO ONE EVER objected to any of us studying ANYTHING.
E-V-E-R.
Actually, yes they did. Outside of Puritan New England, Bible study was not a part of the public school curriculum until the 1830s-40s. In the 1870s, when Roman Catholics were just starting to emigrate to the United States in large numbers and were as feared and hated by Protestants as Muslims are now, there was a big dispute about which version of the Bible, the King James or the one used by the Roman Catholic Church. Each one objected to the other's version. Jews, who were also arriving in sizable numbers, objected to the New Testament. As a result, there were several lawsuits. A number of states decided to avoid the problem by simply taking all Bible study out of the public schools.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117438 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you search the Theory of Evolution for some grand religious/philosophical meaning? You won't find it.
Scientific theories are neither moral or immoral - they just are. I don't look to evolutionary theory for moral guidance anymore than I look to gravitational theory. If you expect to find ethics in scientific theories then you're a bigger fool than you already come across as.
The Romans were religious and sophisticated for their time, yet they thought nothing of entertaining themselves by watching gladiators kill each other. Shared experiences through time has taught us that this is wrong and now we see public killings of any kind as barbaric. However, let religion take over and public killings are just fine.
Our morals come from within and from shared experiences.
In any event, you try to limit your morality within your religions and that is a fundamental mistake as no religion has a monopoly on good ethics.
Since Evolution nor DNA provide us with a noral code ,what does?
Your answer that"Our morals come from within" explains nothing.
" and from our shared experiences" explains even less.
Can you give some meaning to those empty words?
On what evidence are they based?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117439 Nov 19, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Awww, did I hurt your feelings?
You think it was good manners and polite etiquette when you refused my invitation because you prefer "younger witches?"
I have tried at times to treat you as a reasonable, intelligent human being.
You throw it back with lies and sarcasm.
It is easy to see that you didn't mean the "apology" nor the invitation.
You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult.
<quoted text>
Which you are certainly familiar with....
<quoted text>
LOL! There you go again, making up lies to justify what you want to do or believe.
I am an old lady...and your "god" is imaginary. Both true statements.
Try to deal with reality sometime.
Yes , you did hurt my feelings ,deeply , so deep , I contemplated suicide , wanted to cut my wrists with a dull instrument , fortunately I was unable to locate an Atheist Brain...

So , you are an old lady looking for a hot time , or so you say.
As you stated
"You are simply a rude child who has not earned the right to be treated as an adult."
Can you imagine that , an old lady tryint to put a move on a rude child. Must be your predatorial instincts at work.
What did you have in mind? Your response can land you some jail time ,so be careful..
Anyhow , you ain't no old lady , you know it and I know it.
You may be Chroe 's 3 eyed alligator , but you ain't no old lady...you be a man.....You twit ...think I'm on drugs

Las Cabras ,para el Corral
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117440 Nov 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
When Dawkins talks about the possibility of ID he is still advocating Darwin and discounting gods and magic.
I know he is discounting God and I know he is discounting Magic.
What he is saying ,somewhat similar to Hitchens is that there is a possibility that humans were created by a Superior Civilization, for which he has no evidence and they dropped us of here for some unstated reason.
And why is he making those types of statements ?
Why did Hitchens claim those as "His Views"
What do they know that they won't tell us?
If you are a diehard Atheist , what could occur , that would cause those thoughts to enter your mind?

But then again ,it is their deep held belief , Intelligence had nothing to do with our being created

I'll bet when Orson Welles narrated War of the Worlds in England , Dawkins went into hiding in Sherwood Forrest ,feared his ancestors were coming to get him.... LOL
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117441 Nov 19, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Being ashamed and doing wrong are two different things stupid. Maybe she feels her wrongdoings were not so horrible as to feel shame now. Maybe she earned forgiveness from those she trespassed against, thus alleviating shame and guilt.
But you have never asked, you just leaped to conclusions.
Hey , Ricky Retardo , She stated that she had never done anything for which she need feel ashamed... That is very plain . You coming in trying to clean up the mess does not cut it. She puked and your attempt to clean it up with nonsense still leaves the puke on the floor.
Talk to Chroe and come up with a different strategy;
You can call it" Let's Save the Witch ,by Any and All Means"
Me , I say ,drop a house on her , just like in the other Fairy tale that is so popular among Atheists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Timmy pork Jordan and Shannon 5 hr wellwellwell 11
Daniel Boone 2016 5 hr smh 17
Why is Topix so Dead anymore? 6 hr travis 2
Tanning bed reaction? (Jun '10) 6 hr Nighthawk 30
Test scores 8 hr Hardcore Liberal 12
Pizza Hut/Barbourville 8 hr former female emp... 25
Does anyone practice White Magic? 11 hr Captain Skull 6

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance