Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 171801 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#117269 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are describing the mechanics involved ,nowhere is there an explanation as to how creation may have been caused by any of these mechanisms.
If it were so, then Atheist Scientists would be able to employ these natural methods and create life ,or consciousness or intelligence.
Instead , since the mechanisms are not creators , Atheist Scientists are working feverishly in their labs ,under controlled conditions trying to design a formula that will permit them to create the simplest form of life...Which they have failed to accomplish.
Then again , they are trying to create that which they claim DOES NOT NEED A CREATOR,,,the irony of it all.
BTW, quote your sources , to not do so will earn you a trip to the HERSHEY FACTORY...a LITTLE HUMOR, DON'T GET UPSET
Oh, so you do not wish for explanations of how life evolved to the point of our intelligence, you wish to go back to point one, who created god?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117270 Nov 17, 2013
Known Fact of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious---If you Atheists could succeed in convincing ever human being alive that there is no god---How would that benefit you? Maybe further Satan's ambition but I fail to see how that could possibly benefit you. Please enlighten me.
Well if you go back and read old posts, I am sure you will find many reasons. I will outline a few.
It would end religious motivations for war.
No more planes flying into buildings for god.
It would slow the bigotry against homosexuals.
It would slow the war against science.
People might start looking for real ways to help, rather than praying and expecting a god to help.
The war against contraception would end, unwanted pregnancies would lower and disease would lower.

Not that I expect religion to end, ever. But if it lowered, that would be great for society.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117271 Nov 17, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
cont.
Obviously, explaining the creation of the arch by a one-time act of an undefined and unknown omnipotent agent (God) does not predict other natural findings and has no application to other natural problems. We might imagine our IDC-thinking scientist will remain yet ignorant of the secret of the arch's construction since he has no reason to investigate or innovate it.
The scientist who does not fall prey to IDC thinking would attack his problem differently. He might consult literature on construction, learn about scaffolds and their use, and go on to apply scaffolding technology to other problems he might encounter in the future. If there were no previous work on scaffolding, he might attempt to construct a model of the arch and, in trying to build it, innovate scaffolding technology and advance the state of the art of construction for everyone. But if the technologies to even think of scaffolding were not yet invented -- say, the ladders to build the scaffolds were not invented -- and if the scientist had honestly reached the limits of his creativity in trying to explain the arch's construction, our heroic scientist would simply say, "I don't know how it was built."
Let me get right to the point; Atheist Scientists claim that neither life nor creation ,need a creator, that it all happens by Natural Laws.
Your example is full of Intelligent Design.
Nowhere do you state how it would be possible for Natural laws to accomplish such a feat.
I beliece you catch my drift as to why your example tends to confirm ID , not deny it.
Your friend Burt has become the main Ingredient for Chunky Peanut butter.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117272 Nov 17, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Let's describe/define god. If we don't there can't be any real debate. God is all knowing/powerful, and has a set of rules he wants us to know. Now, here's a fact, we don't all know those rules. So, either god doesn't have the ability to tell us the rules, which would make him not all knowing/powerful, and thus not god. Or he wouldn't have rules he wants us to know, and then he wouldn't be god.
Welcome to the party. Can you get some new fundies down here?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117273 Nov 17, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You inferred drinking doesn't cause brain damage.
That inSinuation was not only dumb, but extremely false.
Why can't you just admit that? Too proud to admit you made a false inSinuation?
No, I simply corrected a false claim. You inferred from my statement that it meant something other than what it said. I said "alcohol does not kill brain cells".
And according to the new site you posted, the jury has not even concluded definitively if it causes brain damage. Now I do not claim it does not, so do not infer otherwise. The site claims some studies conflict.
I am not trying to support any idea of drinking in excess. In fact, I quit drinking fifteen years ago. And it did bother me that Hitchens romanticized drinking as well as smoking.

I am so sorry for making a statement that you inferred something false about.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117274 Nov 17, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
You cannot prove your god created or even existed. Your entire statements are based on faith.
How could you possibly determine whether the universe is intelligently designed when you have no other universe with which to compare it? Indeed, what would a non-designed universe look like? Or, what would an unintelligently designed universe look like?
Lodi , you and the other Atheists are not able to get it into your unintelligent heads that I never said that I could prove God existed.
You all keep throwing that up as a smokescreen . I said that I believe and yes,that is based on Faith not bliond faith ,but Faith based on reason.....And I have provided my reasons.
Atheists ,on the other hand , having no belief in God ,have locked themselves into the untenable position of having to explain how life could have been created by nonliving,nonintelligentand nonconscious matter and this by natural laws.
That is what your faith and their's is based on.
That faith is at best nonsencical and based on hopeless,wishful thinking.
If ,as you all claim , life needs no creator ,why are Atheist Scientist trying to design and create life IN ORDER TO PROVE THEIR POINT?
Solve this riddle for me.
Life needs no creator and I am going to attempt to create life in order to prove it needs no creator.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117275 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get right to the point; Atheist Scientists claim that neither life nor creation ,need a creator, that it all happens by Natural Laws.
Nowhere do you state how it would be possible for Natural laws to accomplish such a feat.
I beliece you catch my drift as to why your example tends to confirm ID , not deny it.
"Atheist scientists claim....."? Can you show the claims? If a scientist makes an absolute claim, it is upon him to explain his claim, not all atheists.
Again for the record, I do not know how all started, do you? Who created this intelligent designer you claim needed no intelligence to design?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117276 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Lodi , you and the other Atheists are not able to get it into your unintelligent heads that I never said that I could prove God existed.
You all keep throwing that up as a smokescreen . I said that I believe and yes,that is based on Faith not bliond faith ,but Faith based on reason.....And I have provided my reasons.
Atheists ,on the other hand , having no belief in God ,have locked themselves into the untenable position of having to explain how life could have been created by nonliving,nonintelligentand nonconscious matter and this by natural laws.
If ,as you all claim , life needs no creator ,why are Atheist Scientist trying to design and create life IN ORDER TO PROVE THEIR POINT?
Life needs no creator and I am going to attempt to create life in order to prove it needs no creator.
Wait, so we must supply evidence for our non belief in your god, but you do not need to follow the same rules you just made?
You believe a specific god did a specific thing, yet have absolutely zero evidence of the claim.
You believe this due to us not having all the answers to the universe?

I have never seen a single supernatural event. Science has never documented a single supernatural event. Now if you wish to insert your biblical story into how the universe started, fine, but when you expect others to believe it, you really need to start with evidence of said god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117277 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If Lodi is of no intelligence, what is your definition of intelligence. We need to know this because "intelligence" is critical in your rules of creation.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117278 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible claims.....
9 And God said,“Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

The bible cannot show evidence of this claim. It is the equivalent of magic.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117279 Nov 17, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing is, many people are already "free"..even many that believe.
Bin Laden et al were sociopaths.
Never trust all people.
Were all the 9/11 hijackers sociopaths?
It seems to me, the belief in an afterlife as a hero and getting 72 virgins is motivation to do a sociopaths bidding.
You support the effort Bin Laden had to keep people from condemning his beliefs.
Hey, did you just label someone?

And I think the freedoms we have are mostly due to secularism, not religion.
The freedom of religion is not supported by the bible, it is condemned.
Freedom for homosexuals is not supported by the bible.
Human slavery is supported by the bible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117280 Nov 17, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
That award should go to Derwin's theory...of animals and likewise that lack in human intelligence, and Frueds and others like him, for theories on sociopaths.
That "award" did die. That is the beauty of science and the science minded. Nothing is considered perfect dogma.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#117281 Nov 17, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If Lodi is of no intelligence, what is your definition of intelligence. We need to know this because "intelligence" is critical in your rules of creation.
Again you misquote me , I did not say that lodi is of no intelligence,I said YOU all are of no intelligence.
I will base my definition of intelligence based on the postings on this thread , by me and you Atheists.
Intelligence is something I have and you all lack

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117282 Nov 17, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahem...pot..kettle..hypocrite much?
Where? I cannot read your twisted mind. Explain yourself for once.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#117283 Nov 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
At the end of the post that you are responding to , I asked the following;
"Since I know you disagree with my beliefs ,don't just say that they are based on Magic. that is nonsense.
Give me an alternative scenario as to how these events may have occured."
That is the topic and if you care to provide the alternative scenario,you are welcome to do so.
Once you do that , then we can change topics and I will adrress your question.
Your attempt to muddy the waters by changing topics is not going to work.
STICK to the topic at hand....
I am not demanding you stop believing in your god of the gaps. Now I do think this god you claim is of magic, so if you wish to show that is wrong, then go for it.
I do not expect you to believe the universe was created some other way, as no way is known as of yet. I am simply pointing out that believing how it started in any specific manner seems unreasonable.

You expect me to believe your way, just because no way is yet known. That is no different than insisting Thor makes lighting in the days when lightning was not understood.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#117284 Nov 17, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
You cannot prove your god created or even existed. Your entire statements are based on faith.
How could you possibly determine whether the universe is intelligently designed when you have no other universe with which to compare it? Indeed, what would a non-designed universe look like? Or, what would an unintelligently designed universe look like?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop avoiding with smokescreens...Just answer the question, you insist that the only plausible explanation is Intelligent Design..How could you possibly determine whether the universe is intelligently designed when you have no other universe with which to compare it? Indeed, what would a non-designed universe look like? Or, what would an unintelligently designed universe look like?

Since: Nov 13

Winchester, KY

#117285 Nov 17, 2013
Muslims, Jews, Christians, Catholic all believe in the same god just in different ways. I think that they shouldn't teach the bible because it could affend many religions. I think that if everyone would keep there mouth shut and not try to force religion down other peoples throat that the world would be better a lot less conflict.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#117286 Nov 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yes!
Because of YOUR sins you do not believe in!
You ever...
Lie?
Steal?
Hate?
Murder?
I know you think none of this is wrong, or a sin, but to God...
It is!
He knows it's hard for you to stop under your current position!
He gave you a choice... choose WISELY!
Except that none of these are absolutes.

They are all relative and very much dependent on definitions.

Would you call voluntary euthanasia murder?

It's a difficult situation but if it's what the person wants and providing the law of the land permits it, it's not murder.

Cambridge, UK

#117287 Nov 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yes...
Yes I do!
Even the human ones....
But please feel free to bring these things up when you
reach judgment!
What about abortion itself?

Your god is responsible for all of them. I guess you agree that's a bad thing.

Cambridge, UK

#117288 Nov 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Seek Him... If you dare!
Just as those that believe there is no God...
There is only One God, and Satan cares not what brings you to Hell...
Just that you get there!
Good day :-)
No, there are lots of gods.

None of them can be proven or disproven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff dept hiding sherman lawson's crimes 40 min got the shaft 46
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 2 hr Princess Hey 4,088
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 1,648
Hey! Toast. 3 hr Tastetherainbow 4
Need Help.... I am sincerely asking for help.... 7 hr Sarah 5
big, stupid bows 8 hr Sarah 11
Knox County Politics 9 hr Voter 8
Medicaid work provisions 10 hr yabum 32

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web