Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Known Fact

Somerset, KY

#117042 Nov 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
It's a funny sort of love that so many Christians believe in.
A love that creates a torture chamber and stocks it with demons and a fire that never burns out all for the sake of torturing people forever.
Ha, but God doesn't put you there, you put yourself there. When God made hell he didn't know that it would house billions of his creations. He just made it for Satan and his demons and all us sinners chose to go there. Gotta love free will. Do what he says or burn in hell.
PigBenis

Batavia, OH

#117043 Nov 13, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha, but God doesn't put you there, you put yourself there. When God made hell he didn't know that it would house billions of his creations. He just made it for Satan and his demons and all us sinners chose to go there. Gotta love free will. Do what he says or burn in hell.
Pretty harsh punishment for a wrong guess. Doesn't fit the crime - not in any universe. Also, it is beyond absurd to think a creator of said universe is oblivious to consequences of his own actions. We didn't ask to be here. Stop playing the game. If you simply must believe in something, try believing in yourself.
Known Fact

Somerset, KY

#117044 Nov 13, 2013
PigBenis wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty harsh punishment for a wrong guess. Doesn't fit the crime - not in any universe. Also, it is beyond absurd to think a creator of said universe is oblivious to consequences of his own actions. We didn't ask to be here. Stop playing the game. If you simply must believe in something, try believing in yourself.
You'll like this. Shows just how stupid it is to think there is a God running the show.

Known Fact

Somerset, KY

#117045 Nov 13, 2013
PigBenis wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice name by the way. I registered Meat Straw and it didn't last long at all.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#117046 Nov 13, 2013
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
-Abraham Lincoln
Seems to me if everything stated in the bible is true and accurate then god/jesus himself is a complete failure.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#117047 Nov 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That you were unable to discern that I was kidding you,and you chose to interpret that as hatred is not my fault.
That you are unable to discern that Hitchens was simply making a point about "belief" using the example of "alien penal colonies" and chose to believe he was serious is not Hitchens' fault.

It is your lack of reading comprehension.
In fact, you don't understand people very well either, do you?

I, too, disagree with some of what Hitchens wrote.
You see, atheists don't have a "bible," of which they are supposed to believe every single word.

We read lots of differing opinions and make our own conclusions.
You, however, don't get to do that.
None of the "leaning on your own understanding" for you!

If you are happy not thinking, ok. But don't ever expect the rest of us to cease thinking just to please some imaginary character in an old book of myths.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117048 Nov 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, here we go again... Atheists think this and atheists are that. Paranoid, much?
If you blink every second for your every waking hour and you live to 100, you will not have blinked as many times as there are stars in our one galaxy. Do you want to believe that the Semitic God created all of space and time and/or at best, that 6-10k years ago "He" took a personal, personified and prejudicial interest in certain kings and leaders of the tribes of Israel? By all means, go right ahead, but this should be obvious: Don't expect me to consider you sane.
Evasive much ? Smokebombs many.?
What you posted has no relevance whatsoever to the topic in question and can be seen as a futile effort to change topics.
If you , or anyone else , disagrees with what I have posted , then, why don't you provide your versions of how those events may have occured.
To simply state that you disagree with my views and then not state your own views shows a complete lack of faith in what you believe and are afraid to let those beliefs be known.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117049 Nov 13, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ya know Jesus used different monikers after he was resurrected. His own disciples didn't even know it was him until he spoke. Do you know it's me when I speak? Maybe I'm Jesus.
And the reason they didn't recognize him is because he isn't real.
Naaaah , I will be able to identify you with ease.
You'll be the one being chased by the topix Mod and the guys in white coats with nets...
Or , I can look in the corner , where all the Planters Peanuts rejects are being roasted
Known Fact

Somerset, KY

#117050 Nov 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Naaaah , I will be able to identify you with ease.
You'll be the one being chased by the topix Mod and the guys in white coats with nets...
Or , I can look in the corner , where all the Planters Peanuts rejects are being roasted
Well if you can identify me with ease then why do you always whine like a stupid dog about me using different names? I gave my reasons and still you act like it's a big deal. You smoked meth, used parts of your body as a vagina and you want to paint me as the idiot? That was you that said God saved you from that right?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117051 Nov 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there's nothing in that basis to confirm that one god created everything. Your creation model works equally well with any number of gods.
My model gives a plausuble explanation for Intelligent Design ,as opposed to a NON Intelligent series of accidents which nmo one can account for , as being resposible for creation.
Which one is more credible depends on one's beliefs.
Materialists have no other choice but to believe the incomprehensible view that nonintelligence can somehow design and create that which is not logical or possible for nonintelligence to accomplish.
Those of us who belive in God have the choice between the 2 alternatives.
I believe in 1 God,not many.
Based on my experiences ,I believe that the God I worship is the creator as he has claimed.
Simple as that.
Do you have a different view as to who or what is responsible for creation? Or ,do you have no view on the subject at all?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117052 Nov 13, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you can identify me with ease then why do you always whine like a stupid dog about me using different names? I gave my reasons and still you act like it's a big deal. You smoked meth, used parts of your body as a vagina and you want to paint me as the idiot? That was you that said God saved you from that right?
I can identify you in many ways.Every time you change your moniker,it fools no one" Except maybe the topix Mod.
I don't paint idiots , they create their own self portrait by their actions , which I am then able to identify them by. MC
BTW I don't smoke meth, instead , I maintain a close personal relationship with my Mexican girlfriend , Mari Juana Gonzalez
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117053 Nov 13, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
That you are unable to discern that Hitchens was simply making a point about "belief" using the example of "alien penal colonies" and chose to believe he was serious is not Hitchens' fault.
It is your lack of reading comprehension.
In fact, you don't understand people very well either, do you?
I, too, disagree with some of what Hitchens wrote.
You see, atheists don't have a "bible," of which they are supposed to believe every single word.
We read lots of differing opinions and make our own conclusions.
You, however, don't get to do that.
None of the "leaning on your own understanding" for you!
If you are happy not thinking, ok. But don't ever expect the rest of us to cease thinking just to please some imaginary character in an old book of myths.
When someone clearly states,as Hitchens did that
"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either. It happens to be my view, but it doesn't challenge any of the findings of Darwin or Huxley or Einstein or Hawking."

Seems to me,that was the only point he was making.
He is stating that as his Belief , that is what can be discerned from that statement.
If there was a different intent,he would not have stated it as his own personal view.
As far as not having the ability to understand people, you are the least qualified to opine on that subject.
It is your lack of comprehension that led you to believe that anyone would lend any credibility to your self righteous statement about yourself
"I have never done ANYTHING for which I need feel ashamed"
How many people do you believe fell for that illconceived statement?

United States of America

#117054 Nov 13, 2013
I've never saw any material that was written by Hitchens where he said 'my own view' This is another tactic of Curious to distort and manipulate what was actually said-that being said, I'm not saying I've read every thing Hitchens has ever written so he might have said that At One Time, but that was not how it was written in the book..
Look here

United States

#117055 Nov 13, 2013
School is a place to learn, young kids should be taught the fundamentals of our forefathers believes there's all kinds of stories in our schools systems so let me break it down simple for you know it alls--there are the three little pigs, little red ridding hood, frosty the snowman, Santa clause and the flying rain deer, why not tell young children all the great stories in the bible? It's up to the individual to make their choice of who they believe in, there are more evidence that there are a greater power than ever before, just go outside and look up, day or night the sun is set in just the right place or we would burn up if it was any closer and if it was to far away we could not survive, the stars are all aligned for us to see and guide us and the solar system, just think of what we can not see, so far away that it's not humanly possible. So you also believe what you learned in your history class that Christopher Columbus discovered America, yeah right, so how did he discover something that the Indians had been there for 100's -1000's of years. This country world isn't what it appears to be,? Don't let the government tell you what you believe in, some of you need to stand up and not let others influence you logic in life, don't fall into the trap of the government, grow a set of balls,period

United States of America

#117057 Nov 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You have your double standard opinion and I have a single standard opinion as to why Hitchens said this.
You have given no logical reason why he would offer such information, I did.
Now do not dare think.
Maybe show us when he said it, and what the conversation around it consisted of, and we might find some clues. For all I know, you made up the whole thing

Anytime someone takes a quote out of context, it takes on as many different meanings as there are readers....In this instance, I feel that Hitchens was using that quote as an example of - Just because someone makes an absolute claim that something is true, doesn't make it so.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117058 Nov 13, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You have your double standard opinion and I have a single standard opinion as to why Hitchens said this.
You have given no logical reason why he would offer such information, I did.
Now do not dare think.
Maybe show us when he said it, and what the conversation around it consisted of, and we might find some clues. For all I know, you made up the whole thing
Anytime someone takes a quote out of context, it takes on as many different meanings as there are readers....In this instance, I feel that Hitchens was using that quote as an example of - Just because someone makes an absolute claim that something is true, doesn't make it so.
Here is some of what YOU have posted on this topic

"I've never saw any material that was written by Hitchens where he said 'my own view' This is another tactic of Curious to distort and manipulate what was actually said-that being said, I'm not saying I've read every thing Hitchens has ever written so he might have said that At One Time, but that was not how it was written in the book.."

Says I,,,I provided more than enough material thatshows exactly where he states" MY own view etal" and now you are backtracking to cover your "erroneous beliefs" and now you want to insert YOUR OPINION"In this instance, I feel that Hitchens was using that quote as an example of" which you fail to provide any evidence for.
You messed up ,face up to it.

Then you state that

"That statement was made in Chapter 6 of Hitchens Book-Arguments from Design. He uses a common creationist quotemine that creationists use against evolution's proponents and turns it around on them exposing it as a fraud: "To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess etal"

So you are admitting the Hitchens made that statement and proceed to give an asinine ,where did you get that from , explanation as to why he used those terms. Your explanation is pure nonsense.
O what a wicked web we weave,when we continue practicing to deceive.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#117059 Nov 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Evasive much ? Smokebombs many.?
What you posted has no relevance whatsoever to the topic in question and can be seen as a futile effort to change topics.
If you , or anyone else , disagrees with what I have posted , then, why don't you provide your versions of how those events may have occured.
To simply state that you disagree with my views and then not state your own views shows a complete lack of faith in what you believe and are afraid to let those beliefs be known.
Lack of faith?

By that you mean that we are lacking in the ability to pretend to know things we don't.

Remember that, to you, faith is belief without evidence. You believe that a cosmic mega-being magicked the universe together and in that respect, your beliefs are just as believable as the Maoris creation myth:

They believe that Ranginui, the Sky Father, and Papatuanuku, the Earth Mother gave birth to children who subsequently created the universe by separating their parents.

Contrast that with the runaway success story that is science. Science is no myth, so no faith is required. Fact after fact stand testament to science providing the most accurate and reliable explanations of our reality.

So, I freely admit that I don't know how the universe came about.

Unlike you, who pretends to know something which you actually don't know - that's faith.

Like I've said, science has been outstandingly successful at not only explaining our reality but also in making predictions. That's a fact, I know that - I have no need to pretend to know.

Science and reason remain the best tools for discovering and explaining our universe.

You know what's also great about science?

It's true whether you believe in it or not.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#117060 Nov 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My model gives a plausuble explanation for Intelligent Design ,as opposed to a NON Intelligent series of accidents which nmo one can account for , as being resposible for creation.
Which one is more credible depends on one's beliefs.
Materialists have no other choice but to believe the incomprehensible view that nonintelligence can somehow design and create that which is not logical or possible for nonintelligence to accomplish.
Those of us who belive in God have the choice between the 2 alternatives.
I believe in 1 God,not many.
Based on my experiences ,I believe that the God I worship is the creator as he has claimed.
Simple as that.
Do you have a different view as to who or what is responsible for creation? Or ,do you have no view on the subject at all?
See my previous post.

United States of America

#117061 Nov 13, 2013
That quote was made in Chapter 6 but not EXACTLY AS YOU said it was!!!!!!!

You don't have the book, you've not read the book but that doesn't stop you from making an assumption of what he means when saying it.

The only reason you knew it was from his Book God is not Great is you read that somewhere!

It still stands, I've not saw any material where he states 'IN MY OWN VIEW' he could have, AS I STATED BEFORE. Furthermore I don't care. I'm sure he's made that statement elsewhere and could have said "In my own view" Again, I don't care, but apparently you do.

If you are going to reference it, at least do so correctly, you have been caught before leaving out or changing words to suit your argument, so I figure this one is no different.
In Chapter 6 it is not written "In my own view"
That was my argument!!!

United States of America

#117062 Nov 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of faith?
By that you mean that we are lacking in the ability to pretend to know things we don't.
Remember that, to you, faith is belief without evidence. You believe that a cosmic mega-being magicked the universe together and in that respect, your beliefs are just as believable as the Maoris creation myth:
They believe that Ranginui, the Sky Father, and Papatuanuku, the Earth Mother gave birth to children who subsequently created the universe by separating their parents.
Contrast that with the runaway success story that is science. Science is no myth, so no faith is required. Fact after fact stand testament to science providing the most accurate and reliable explanations of our reality.
So, I freely admit that I don't know how the universe came about.
Unlike you, who pretends to know something which you actually don't know - that's faith.
Like I've said, science has been outstandingly successful at not only explaining our reality but also in making predictions. That's a fact, I know that - I have no need to pretend to know.
Science and reason remain the best tools for discovering and explaining our universe.
You know what's also great about science?
It's true whether you believe in it or not.
Excellent Post!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Check drawers 55 min red state 16
Preacher Lonnie Jarvis 1 hr How About 2
Stephen trace 2 hr gator 2
Tickles 2 hr gator 2
Little Alvin Hubbard running scared !!! 2 hr Banker 7
The Lesters 2 hr gator 4
state police 3 hr True 7
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE