Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,883

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#115652 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Trouble is, if the Muslims are right and who knows? They might be.
Then Y and A is hellbound.
Here's an interesting test:
Imagine that before you were born, you were given a choice to be born into any one of several possible universes, each created and ruled by a different god with different qualities and different rules from the others.
[1] In one universe Ė this universe, the one we actually know - the god ruling, Jesus, there will remain hidden from view. He will grant those who correctly guess that he exists an opportunity to blissfully worship him for eternity. Less than 10% will do so. The other 90+% will be forced to remain conscious in an eternal torture chamber. If you choose this universe, you wonít remember any of this. There will be many false religions for you to choose from.
[2] In another, the rules are the same as in the first universe, except that the god there makes himself plainly visible, and everybody manages not just to choose religion, but to choose the right religion, and in so doing, please him and earn eternal bliss praising him.
[3] In another, the rules are the same as in the first universe, except that after death, the deity allows the failures, still over 90+%, to return to the oblivion from which they came before birth. There is no torture after death.
[4] In another, itís just like [3] except that, based on a coin flip, half get bliss and half get oblivion.
[5] In another, they also flip a coin. Except that heads itís eternal bliss, tails itís eternal torture. You have no say.
[6] In another universe, one ruled by Satan, everybody goes to eternal torture. This is the worst universe imaginable. If you are born into this one, prepare to meet the monster that runs it.
I'll be interested to see you rank these possible universes in descending order from most favourable to least.
I wouldn't waste my time, I live here, in the universe I was put in. Anything else is just irrelevant.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#115653 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Trouble is, if the Muslims are right and who knows? They might be.
Then Y and A is hellbound.
Here's an interesting test:
Imagine that before you were born, you were given a choice to be born into any one of several possible universes, each created and ruled by a different god with different qualities and different rules from the others.
[1] In one universe Ė this universe, the one we actually know - the god ruling, Jesus, there will remain hidden from view. He will grant those who correctly guess that he exists an opportunity to blissfully worship him for eternity. Less than 10% will do so. The other 90+% will be forced to remain conscious in an eternal torture chamber. If you choose this universe, you wonít remember any of this. There will be many false religions for you to choose from.
[2] In another, the rules are the same as in the first universe, except that the god there makes himself plainly visible, and everybody manages not just to choose religion, but to choose the right religion, and in so doing, please him and earn eternal bliss praising him.
[3] In another, the rules are the same as in the first universe, except that after death, the deity allows the failures, still over 90+%, to return to the oblivion from which they came before birth. There is no torture after death.
[4] In another, itís just like [3] except that, based on a coin flip, half get bliss and half get oblivion.
[5] In another, they also flip a coin. Except that heads itís eternal bliss, tails itís eternal torture. You have no say.
[6] In another universe, one ruled by Satan, everybody goes to eternal torture. This is the worst universe imaginable. If you are born into this one, prepare to meet the monster that runs it.
I'll be interested to see you rank these possible universes in descending order from most favourable to least.
I will add however that, No, I don't think any one particular "relgion" is always "right".

Far from it, because I don't believe there's any such thing as "perfect" as far as all that type of thing goes.
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115654 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
A nice exercise in self-tolerance and understanding.
I trust you also extend this tolerance to atheists when referring to the atrocities of Stalin?
It wasn't an exercise of self tolerance, and it wasn't for you. I have never referenced Stalin because Stalin has no bearing on the here and now, or you and I. I am very of atheism, as I totally understand and am very familiar with it. However, I am not tolerant of those who go by the name, whose only mission is to degrade others and destroy thier faith.
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115655 Oct 28, 2013
Excuse me......very *tolerant* of atheism.
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115656 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't waste my time, I live here, in the universe I was put in. Anything else is just irrelevant.
Irrelevance seems to be the name of the game. Throw out a bunch of irrelevant crap and then insist that you answer for it.....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#115657 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, I'm not qualified for anything like that, because I've never walked the walk of experience of it.
But I do recognize the posative tenets of the principles in the philosaphy of it, and they are good, for anyone, to apply in daily life.
I don't promote indoctrinating people by any means-into anything, except healthy, balanced minds and selves.
And I don't need to pretend and "portray" myself as anything-I yam what I yam, and ergo I but for the grace of...
Well....that last word usually causes much debate so, and would be undoubtedly be different from another (even from my own sibling)...so I'll just put as "hmmmm....a work still in progress".
The underlying principles might be good, but the doctrine and practice falls far short. How is it good, ethical, moral or spiritual to tell someone they must believe a certain set of indisputable lies in order to escape an illusory punishment? Do you offer the empty threat of a beating to a child for disbelieving Santa Claus and the Easter bunny?
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115658 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I will add however that, No, I don't think any one particular "relgion" is always "right".
Far from it, because I don't believe there's any such thing as "perfect" as far as all that type of thing goes.
What the hell? Seriously man.
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115659 Oct 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
One of those "the U.S. was founded on Christian principles" people - aren't you? In the nation that imprisons a higher percentage of its populace than any other country, we should remember that our spiritual principles center around forgiveness - and what better place to start than with the politicians, bankers and stock brokers (and televangelists, of course), since they are the ones who need forgiveness the most.
You like to make assumptions about people don't you?
amanda

Georgetown, KY

#115660 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell? Seriously man.
Sorry sista that was for that crazy comment you were held "responsible" for answering.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#115661 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>

And here we have the mindset of the believer encapsulated in a single sentence. "I don't want to hear....etc" That's what it boils down to. Why concern your self with the facts when you can have your beliefs instead?
<quoted text>
And here we have the mindset of the believer encapsulated in a single sentence. "I don't want to hear....etc" That's what it boils down to. Why concern your self with the facts when you can have your beliefs instead?
<quoted text>
I know, I know, science, history, geology, biology, physics, etc have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to prove Christianity.
It is you Atheists who worship Science. Science itself admits it is in no position to discuss the supernatural and has to try to explain supernatural evenrs by Natural means. That is impossible.

Stephen Hawkins , a renowned man of Science , whom you claims is an expert ,has provided us with a theory that " The law of Gravity is the Cause that created the universe and life as we know it"
He says that Nothing ,spontaneously converted itself into what we know as the universe and Life."
Of course , he is quite unable to demonstrate how this series of events took place .
What he does say is that God need not be invoked.
So what he has done is,dig deep into the fountain of mythical Science Fiction and propose an outlandish opinion worthy of The Twilight zone.
That type of nonsense , attempting to explain the supernatural by natural means ,incoherency at it's apex , is precisely what I do not want to hear.
I do not want to hear it and you are quite unable to defend it.
Not able to defend it , but still wanting to justify your nonsencical beliefs , you desperately make the claim that all the evidence to believe in Christianity , is someone speaking in tongues.
Foolish one , I have given you a substantial body of evidence on which I base my beliefs.
You have not attempted to refute them ,because you Can not.

Therefore your many meaningless and futile smokescreens.
Get real , live a life based on reality , not science fiction.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115662 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some favorite "Christian" type literature I like to read daily...I've actually read it for YEARS, on and off.
I find it to be some very positive reading, and often times rather uplifting.
Is there something you see wrong with that?
I have no issue with gleaning wisdom from any source that offers it - including but not limited to the Bible. It's with the airheads who throw away those pearls because they are enthralled with the fantastic back story.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#115663 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
I wouldn't waste my time,
Fare enough, I was only interested to se what your ranking order would be. No big deal
SistaNoneYa wrote:
I live here, in the universe I was put in. Anything else is just irrelevant.
Very much akin to what I say when believers insist that there is life after death.

Nottingham, UK

#115664 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
It was more often than NOT, people of the faith(s) that went far and wide, and treated the diseased and sick...then ;ending Science the knowledge they had gained in doing so.
Too many documented cases of that fact, to not beleive it.
I see no need to CONdemn people of any faith, who try and do good works. They are just as WORTHY, as those of little or no faith, who do the same, and even MORE worthy, than those who do nothing but condemn others for doing so.
Many people of faith went far and wide in search of plunder in the form of riches and souls. After all, their idea of good works was also to try and convert the natives.

They would go to remote places and attempt to substitute the locals ju-ju with their own brand of ju-ju.

"They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved."

Chief Pontiac

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."

Desmond Tutu

Nottingham, UK

#115665 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
There is good and bad in all religions.

Yet that's not how many believers on this thread would see it.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115666 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to make assumptions about people don't you?
You do not believe that the U.S. was founded by and on Christian ideals?

Nottingham, UK

#115667 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't an exercise of self tolerance, and it wasn't for you. I have never referenced Stalin because Stalin has no bearing on the here and now, or you and I. I am very of atheism, as I totally understand and am very familiar with it. However, I am not tolerant of those who go by the name, whose only mission is to degrade others and destroy thier faith.
I never said it was for me. However, when you post on a forum like this you have to expect replies.

Isn't destroying people's faith what so many Christians try to do?

When they go door knocking, they want to convert you from whatever faith you have to their own. When the missionaries go to the world's far-flung places they want to destroy the locals faith in whatever and get them to worship the bible god.

Nottingham, UK

#115668 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
Excuse me......very *tolerant* of atheism.
No probs
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#115669 Oct 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The underlying principles might be good, but the doctrine and practice falls far short. How is it good, ethical, moral or spiritual to tell someone they must believe a certain set of indisputable lies in order to escape an illusory punishment? Do you offer the empty threat of a beating to a child for disbelieving Santa Claus and the Easter bunny?
There is NO doctrine to that particular philasophy and it's few simple stanzas.

And there is no "CONdemnation" within it either.

You're just trying to weasel it around ...for whatever your agenda is.

Nottingham, UK

#115670 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevance seems to be the name of the game. Throw out a bunch of irrelevant crap and then insist that you answer for it.....
Believers do that, too.

All that stuff about sins and being held responsible.

Maybe sista thought my post was irrelevant, it's no skin off my back.
However, I didn't insist that she answered it. All I said was that I'd be interested in seeing her response - it certainly wasn' imperative to me that she respond.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#115671 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
There is good and bad in all religions.
Yet that's not how many believers on this thread would see it.
I think a lot of people see it that way...believers and non-believers.

But then again, I don't feel a need to be crtitical of others for not believing all the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
poachers on davis bend (Nov '10) 9 min Yes 18
Court Dockets 1 hr Jackie 3
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 1 hr Get a life 8
Barbourville Independent 1 hr Awful 3
county line 229 burglar 1 hr thief buster 2
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 1 hr c 9
Need food badly 2 hr well said 50
Porsche mills 15 hr Well.... 24
To the Garland family Thu Well.... 3
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51