Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 165729 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#115682 Oct 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Weasel what around? If anyone here is prone to diverting from the topic with snide quips about other posters it is you. THAT is how you brought up AA in the first place. I've stated that my "agenda" is an opposition to superstitious willful ignorance and the blatant dishonesty that seems intrinsic and pervasive with it. I find indoctrinating children into religious cults to be abominable. I've made no attempt to shroud those "agendas" in mystery.
Even if there aren't any doctrines or condemnations in AA,(which I have no evidence of either way) the consequences of alcohol abuse are documented and very, very real, so obviously I wasn't talking talking about 12 step programs.
Careful, or you might end up talking to wooden a desk.

Jefferson wrote on November 18, 1825: "Politics, as well as Religion, has it's superstitions. These, gaining strength with time, may, one day give imaginary value to this relic, for it's association with the birth of the Great Charter of our Independence."

Coolidge replied, on February 27, 1826, that he would consider the desk "no longer inanimate, and mute, but as something to be interrogated and caressed."

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#115683 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would any one keep harping on such a delusionary type scenario then? It makes no sense.
Perhaps you shouldn't speak for what someone else might (or even more so) might NOT, "think".
When something is helpful posatively for people, and it's of no harm to others, then it IS valuable.
Please don't EVER attempt to chair anything like AA meetings (or anything similar).
You're extreme negativety would poison the decades enduring program, and that would NOT be good for people. Not at all.
You continue to forget the fact we see YaA as harmful to society. Kind of makes your rant pointless.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115684 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there was much suffering on earth amongst many people through out the civilization as we know know it, and I believe the Bible is one recorded documentation of some of it.
I guess you can believe that, but it is not really considered history as it is mostly devoid of evidence of factual history. Tall tales are not really history.
What I am attempting to point out here is if the events were real, and were they moral or not. You claimed the bible was good for teaching us lessons, but you refuse to show what lessons it teaches and how.
I wish to know what you think the story about Moses murdering three thousand people for worshiping a golden calf teaches?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#115685 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha
Ah yes, that'll be your reality where a group of gods created the universe.
You just threw another stinkbomb as a smokescreem.
It is 1 God ,living , intelligent and conscious,who created the Universe and all therein.

That which you worship , that nothing created something from nothing can be compared favorbly with the many monikers that appear
on this thread.
The monikers are nonliving ,nonintelligent and nonconscious ,albeit we can conclude that these monikers were created by some form of intelligence.
Nevertheles , they posses no living power of their own.
That being said,they are more real than the nonsense you place your faith in , which you are quite unable to defend.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#115686 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful, or you might end up talking to wooden a desk.
Jefferson wrote on November 18, 1825: "Politics, as well as Religion, has it's superstitions. These, gaining strength with time, may, one day give imaginary value to this relic, for it's association with the birth of the Great Charter of our Independence."
Coolidge replied, on February 27, 1826, that he would consider the desk "no longer inanimate, and mute, but as something to be interrogated and caressed."
It wouldn't be difficult to establish a wooden desk as more conversant with reason than a superstitious lout, and a damp particle board desk more sound.
amanda

Clay City, KY

#115687 Oct 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
However there are many more believers than non-believers and millions of those believers are indeed critical and judgemental of people who don't believe the same.
Sure there are also non-believers who will criticise believers. However, that's relatively recent.
There was a time when the believers were in charge, when they tortured and burned non-believers.
However, non-believers refused to buckle and gradually they de-clawed the christian tiger. So much so that it became illegal to kill people for heresy and blasphemy.
Christians still did all they could to marginalise non-believers and the word "atheist" was linked to being immoral and non-believers were reluctant to declare their atheism.
Now it's the christians who cry "persecution" when all I want is that they keep their ju-ju to themselves.
That's pretty god treatement compared to what christians used to dish out.
What do you mean "non believers" refused to buckle? Who is this historical group of non believers that put an end to religious persecution? Please answer that before you make any other point.
SistaCottoninmye yeballs

Manchester, KY

#115688 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You continue to forget the fact we see YaA as harmful to society. Kind of makes your rant pointless.
I'm sorry, did you say something?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#115689 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I just like to worship golden calves.
And that is why you hate Moses.
That kind of insanity was detrimental and posed a very serious threat to ALL the Congregation.
The only cure was it's total and complete destruction.
A responsible leader does not place his entire congregation at risk
by permitting insanity by a few , to permeate it's ranks.
When given an opportunity to repent , their insanity would not allow it.
Since it could not be removed by reason, Moses was left with the only VIABLE alternative.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115690 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the pleasure many years ago, of corresponding with a lovely person, who was part of a ministry that brought clean, running water and a small educational system to a rather remote area of people in Papua, New Guinee.
Met her in a laundromatt one day-while she was in between assignments...both of us being the down to earth, simple, humble living types, we just struck up a pleasant conversation that day.
She never asked for a penny, not the first time, through out the whole time we corresponded. Just friendly correspondences from Papua, New Guinee and back to state side US, while she was helping (quite HUMBLY then still I might add) make the world better for people in remote places.
What if no one ever supported THAT type of work (as you seem to suggest people are fooliish to do so?)
You say this as if their would be no one helping others unless they pleaded for donations in the name of a god. But of course this is provably false. So your strawman hypothetical is pretty sad.
Imagine if all the money that religion sucks down that does not help others, actually went to helping others? The millionaire and billionaire preachers living high on the hog, tricking little old ladies out of their retirement funds, could actually be used better in so many cases.
Religion is pretty easy to sell to the gullible.
SistaCottoremove dnow

Manchester, KY

#115691 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you can believe that, but it is not really considered history as it is mostly devoid of evidence of factual history. Tall tales are not really history.
What I am attempting to point out here is if the events were real, and were they moral or not. You claimed the bible was good for teaching us lessons, but you refuse to show what lessons it teaches and how.
I wish to know what you think the story about Moses murdering three thousand people for worshiping a golden calf teaches?
Mindless materialistic worshipping (aka Idoltry) can get humans in trouble!

Okay? Simple enough?
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#115692 Oct 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't be difficult to establish a wooden desk as more conversant with reason than a superstitious lout, and a damp particle board desk more sound.
Well...SOME of us realize-y'all can't help youselves sometimes. It's inherant in the DNA worm structure.
amanda

Clay City, KY

#115693 Oct 28, 2013
And khatru, to answer your question, YES this country was settled by Christians (protestants) from Europe.....they wanted to escape (drum roll) religious persecution! Also, it was also "founded" (I guess you are referring to the founding of our government) by people who were mostly protestant Christian, who didn't want to repeat the same mistakes that the country they had sought independence from had made.

Yes, I'm aware that a handful of them were not devout or spiritual, that still doesn't take away the fact that nearly everyone else with a hand in it and living at the time was. However, I still don't see what that has to do with you trying to diminish the faith of other posters here, right now.......today.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115694 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
YaA is just usually defending his faith...something he really shouldn't have to do, but it gives you bonehead types something to whine about so...I then say-carry on, right back at 'em YaA.
You have something against nice trolls? At least I don't have a troll booth schemed and plotted, waiting on you duhmazz wormy types.
"just usually defending"? First, it is questionable on that percentage, and even if he was, is it then ok to defy your standards if it is used when defending ones beliefs?

It is painfully clear you have double standards. It makes all your pleas look so silly. The bible labels, YaA labels, Curious labels, you label, everyone labels. But you only condemn those with the label of atheist.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#115695 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You say this as if their would be no one helping others unless they pleaded for donations in the name of a god. But of course this is provably false. So your strawman hypothetical is pretty sad.
Imagine if all the money that religion sucks down that does not help others, actually went to helping others? The millionaire and billionaire preachers living high on the hog, tricking little old ladies out of their retirement funds, could actually be used better in so many cases.
I recanted an actual personal experience...one that OBVIUOSLY was quite differnt from that of which you were/are referencing.

Different scenario there now isn't it Duquette?

See...there's that lumping and labelDUHMing everything the same thing again.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#115696 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You say this as if their would be no one helping others unless they pleaded for donations in the name of a god. But of course this is provably false. So your strawman hypothetical is pretty sad.
(and just for the record, I would consider anyone that uses any such tactics to sell anything like that- just for personal gain to be a charaltan!!)

char·la·tan noun \&#712;shär-l&#601;-t &#601;n\: a person who falsely pretends to know or be something in order to deceive people
Full Definition of CHARLATAN
1: quack 2
2: one making usually showy pretenses to knowledge or ability : fraud, faker
— char·la·tan·ism \-t&#601;-&#716;ni-z &#601;m\ noun
non believer

Rancho Cordova, CA

#115697 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I am not tolerant of those who go by the name, whose only mission is to degrade others and destroy thier faith.
I find your statement hard to believe. Atheist test your faith. Do you think it is wrong to help someone out of a Christian cult? If so then you are also destroying their belief. Is not testing ones faith a Christian doctrine?

How does an atheist debating testing a Christian degrade them? When those of faith have no proof or testable evidence to prove the reason for faith would you say that is degrading them?

Give evidence how atheist degrade Christians. Put the cheese on the cracker.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115698 Oct 28, 2013
amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean "non believers" refused to buckle? Who is this historical group of non believers that put an end to religious persecution? Please answer that before you make any other point.
"I'll take Unanswered Questions for $1,000, Alex."
"The point of the founding fathers and the counterpoint to religious strangleholds."
"What is the Age of Enlightenment"
"Correct, and rational people remain in the lead."
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#115699 Oct 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"just usually defending"? First, it is questionable on that percentage, and even if he was, is it then ok to defy your standards if it is used when defending ones beliefs?
It is painfully clear you have double standards. It makes all your pleas look so silly. The bible labels, YaA labels, Curious labels, you label, everyone labels. But you only condemn those with the label of atheist.
Lumping and labelDUHMing everything and everyone all the same-because of some sort of preconcieved notion based upon narrow minded sterotyping-is IGNORANT.

No matter the race, creed or color spewing it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115700 Oct 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is why you hate Moses.
That kind of insanity was detrimental and posed a very serious threat to ALL the Congregation.
The only cure was it's total and complete destruction.
A responsible leader does not place his entire congregation at risk
by permitting insanity by a few , to permeate it's ranks.
When given an opportunity to repent , their insanity would not allow it.
Since it could not be removed by reason, Moses was left with the only VIABLE alternative.
So the lesson you take from this story is, it is good to kill those who are a threat due to religious beliefs?
Not a lesson I want taught in public schools.
I see you as a threat to our society, but I do not think murder is the moral solution. If religious worship hurts our society and I cannot curb that threat in a peaceful manner, then we must learn to accept that we live in a dangerous society.
This is only moral, something you clearly do not understand.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115701 Oct 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...SOME of us realize-y'all can't help youselves sometimes. It's inherant in the DNA worm structure.
There you go again with empty prattle, diverting with name calling and insults because you have precious little else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where were you back in the 70's? 1 hr I will not go away 19
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 3 hr -Christopher Jarvis 814
Thieves in bimble... 4 hr Inside info 26
Looking for Kenny Saunders (Aug '16) 4 hr Fact 19
Moonshinemafia deleted 5 hr Lmbo 1
Oger, where have you been? 5 hr -Christopher Jarvis 5
Young girls 5 hr -Christopher Jarvis 9
Police and Ambulance 10 hr Big bear 109

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages