Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
110,001 - 110,020 of 130,287 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately. you're now unable to disagree with people who have different world views without wishing them to suffer eternal torture.
You still throwing up smokescreens?
Your unintelligent remarks do not surprise me.
I have never wished any one eternal torture.
If that happens to you , it will not be because I wished it.
it will be based on the lifestyle you have chosen ,over which I do not have,nor do I desire any control.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So you accept that you may be wrong in your beliefs?
I BELIEVE and have seen not a shred of evidence that would lead me to question my beliefs.

Moreover The incoherent ,illogical and nonsensical postings of Atheists have served to further strengthen my beliefs.
For that , I thank you and the how many others legitimately there might be.
Tell UMM I said hi

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

MyMy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Evil still laugh at God.
Only a fool mocks (to treat with ridicule or contempt) God.
Why do the most vocal of Christians keep saying stuff like this - as though mocking the human livestock is the same as mocking a deity? Earth to fundie... You are not God
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine we had a book full of good ethics and morals.
Well ,The fact is that Atheists do not have and have never produced a book full of good ethics and morals.
Their moral code is based on each individuals interpretation of right and wrong based on their desires.Kinda like do whatever turns you on,,,Hippie style.

That is why Witchetty proudly claimed that she has never done anything for which she need feel ashamed.
I assume that if the Pope ever becane aware of her statements
he would either have her cannonized as a saint or cannonaded as a heretic.

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

I believe in Jesus and his words are true, and as Christians we have experienced unwarranted hatred discussing this topic.

Christ has already told us and we know that we are chosen out of the world and the world hates us.

No mater what unbelievers say, there is no one that can ever come close to Jesus Christ's understanding and encouragement to those who love him.

He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him.

He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.
Found in the book of John in the Bible

‘If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world—therefore the world hates you.
Remember the word that I said to you,“Servants are not greater than their master.”

If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.

If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not have sin.

But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfil the word that is written in their law,“They hated me without a cause.”

After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said,‘Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him.

And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.
Found in the book of John

Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world—therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you,“Servants are not greater than their master.” If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also.

But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Whoever hates me hates my Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfil the word that is written in their law,“They hated me without a cause.”

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to see even one book-that is "perfect".
Probably because there's NO SUCH THING as "perfect".
Books written and inspired by men are certainly not perfect.

However, given that millions of christians keep banging on about how their god is perfect, you'd expect that the book he wrote/inspired would also be perfect. It's not.

Nice to know you agree that the bible isn't perfect - kudos to you for that.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Faith and HOPE that time will provide an answer is not based on reason and logic,,,,but on foolishness
I am not waiting for an answer.
It does not require faith or hope.
TIME IS the answer.
You just can't figure that out, can you?

Let's see if I can make it simple for you.

During your lifetime, you will do a certain number of activities.
You will eat X number of meals, sleep X number of times, drive a car, go to work, arrive home, kiss a man/woman, fall in love, fall out of love, smell a flower, hear a symphony, admire a sunset....
ALL only X number of times in your limited lifespan.

But, if you lived twice as long, you could do all those things and even more...because you have the TIME to do them.

Now, if your lifespan were billions upon billions of years, how many more opportunities are available to you?

And, if your lifespan were virtually infinite?
ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING become possible.

The universe has had more TIME than you can imagine.
There is always change. Nothing is static.

An "unchanging" god? Not bloody likely.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

If you have faith to believe you'll know of him but we do not have a wayward mind that hasn't come to the full knowledge of Christ like unbelievers but we know the reality of living in truth, love and peace.

The unsaved cling to their little scrap of so called reality that they can touch, see or feel to understand and they only know of this world but it is passing away.

Jesus is very real and so is God and the Holy Spirit, he is working in the hearts of believers all the time. We are Spiritually growing closer to God and Jesus in the Holy Spirit learning how to live in truth and not accepting the worlds lies by living only as to our carnal ways.

We don't close our minds to what we see but we accept the truth and live in it which in fact the unsaved close their hearts to know of themselves. We knew the life unbelievers lived but we turned from sin and no longer want to live like that any more.

We just no long want to live unfruitful and unfulfilling lives for the world to love us but we want to please God and we reap the reward of living happy and fruitful lives while doing it.

If you ever smoked cigarettes and then you quit you'd find that being around someone smoking and smelling that cigarette smell is sickening and you'd want to get away from it.

Well sin is like that for a believer and if you could imagine how those Angels who went to Sodom and Gomorrah felt when all the city was committing horrible sexual acts in front of them and people tried to get them involved too but they turned away from them and brought Lot out.

If you can understand their horror in what happened to the Angels and Lot, then maybe you can see our horror as Christians we are witnessing the unsaved of this fallen world putting down God and justifying it as the so called reality then saying they want us to join in with them. All the while evil is wrongly accepted and bondage to sin that unbelievers corrupt themselves with is normal.

We say No very surely to being a part of a sinful world and we try to help to save those who would believe in Jesus like the Angels saved Lot by leading him out of the sinful city by telling them of Jesus.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Judged:

1. God loves you and has a plan for you!
The Bible says,“God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son,[Jesus Christ], that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life”(John)

Jesus said,“I came that they may have life and have it abundantly”— a complete life full of purpose (John)

But here’s the problem:

2. Man is sinful and separated from God.
We have all done, thought or said bad things, which the Bible calls “sin.” The Bible says,“All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”(Romans)

The result of sin is death, spiritual separation from God (Romans)

The good news?

3. God sent His Son to die for your sins!
Jesus died in our place so we could live with Him in eternity.

“God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”(Romans)

But it didn’t end with His death on the cross. He rose again and still lives!

“Christ died for our sins.… He was buried.… He was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures.”(1 Corinthians)

Jesus is the only way to God.

Jesus said,“I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me”(John)

4. Would you like to receive God’s forgiveness?
We can’t earn salvation; we are saved by God’s grace when we have faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. All you have to do is believe you are a sinner, that Christ died for your sins, and ask His forgiveness. He knows you and loves you. What matters to Him is the attitude of your heart, your honesty. We suggest praying the following prayer to accept Christ as your Savior:

“Dear Lord Jesus,

I know I am a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead. I trust and follow you as my Lord and Savior. Guide my life and help me to do your will.

In your name, amen.”

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Apostle Amber wrote:
1. God loves you and has a plan for you!
<editted for nonsense> amen.”
You are so well programed.
Have you ever had an independant thought?

There is no "god" and there is no "plan."
There is only this life and you are cringing in fear instead of living.

The "good news?" Yes, it is that we are not primitive superstitious goatherders. We know what causes thunder and lightning and it's not
some angry imaginary being.
There is no need to invent answers so we are not afraid of the dark.
The time for invisible friends is over.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ,The fact is that Atheists do not have and have never produced a book full of good ethics and morals.
Their moral code is based on each individuals interpretation of right and wrong based on their desires.Kinda like do whatever turns you on,,,Hippie style.
That is why Witchetty proudly claimed that she has never done anything for which she need feel ashamed.
I assume that if the Pope ever becane aware of her statements
he would either have her cannonized as a saint or cannonaded as a heretic.
I assume that if the Pope ever became aware of WitW actual statement, he wouldn't feel some insecure need to sarcastically twist it around.
curiousity

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

I have read through some of these posts. God's word says to go out and preach the gospel. As a Christian I do just that. I spread what I know about Jesus. But I want each person that reads this to know, that whatever your view is I love you! Because God's greatest gift is love! And I pray for each one that reads my post. I love The Lord and I will continue to let His light shine thru my life! God Bless each of you and may you find peace in your hearts!

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curiousity wrote:
I have read through some of these posts. God's word says to go out and preach the gospel. As a Christian I do just that. I spread what I know about Jesus. But I want each person that reads this to know, that whatever your view is I love you! Because God's greatest gift is love! And I pray for each one that reads my post. I love The Lord and I will continue to let His light shine thru my life! God Bless each of you and may you find peace in your hearts!
That was beautiful Curiosity! Your post was truly sharing from the heart and your words shine Jesus's light in this woeful world.

Thanks be to God for sharing his love, you have lifted my Spirit and encouraged me to continue helping the lost to know Jesus.

I pray you will have a wonderful day and continue to share the gospel of Jesus in peace and blessings with love.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not waiting for an answer.
It does not require faith or hope.
TIME IS the answer.
You just can't figure that out, can you?
Let's see if I can make it simple for you.
During your lifetime, you will do a certain number of activities.
You will eat X number of meals, sleep X number of times, drive a car, go to work, arrive home, kiss a man/woman, fall in love, fall out of love, smell a flower, hear a symphony, admire a sunset....
ALL only X number of times in your limited lifespan.
But, if you lived twice as long, you could do all those things and even more...because you have the TIME to do them.
Now, if your lifespan were billions upon billions of years, how many more opportunities are available to you?
And, if your lifespan were virtually infinite?
ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING become possible.
The universe has had more TIME than you can imagine.
There is always change. Nothing is static.
An "unchanging" god? Not bloody likely.
An nonbeliever has to depend on irrationality and poetic terms in order to justify their unbelief.
The Fact is that that which is nonliving does not posses the properties to create life.So it is not a question of time ,it is a question of not having the ability to perform the task due to the fact that time is unable to create life.

There is no evidence to support that statement ,other than wishful thinking.

In their inability to explain how life,intelligence and consciousness can be attained by natural means , unbelievers have to resort to the absurd assertion ,unproven and illogical, that all we need is time.

That is not an answer , that is an absurd excuse for which you can provide no evidence

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curiousity wrote:
Thank you for that sentiment, but I dare say that most on this thread are already pretty well informed about scripture (except for a couple who claim superior knowledge through emotional osmosis and metaphysics). Personally, I've never felt a need for either Jesus' instruction or Satan's permission to do the next right thing - and I've often found the next right thing to take far more effort than whispering words to folded hands.
curiousity

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>That was beautiful Curiosity! Your post was truly sharing from the heart and your words shine Jesus's light in this woeful world.

Thanks be to God for sharing his love, you have lifted my Spirit and encouraged me to continue helping the lost to know Jesus.

I pray you will have a wonderful day and continue to share the gospel of Jesus in peace and blessings with love.
Thank you! That truly blesses me to know someone felt the love I have for God. Many blessings to you fear friend.:)
curiousity

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for that sentiment, but I dare say that most on this thread are already pretty well informed about scripture (except for a couple who claim superior knowledge through emotional osmosis and metaphysics). Personally, I've never felt a need for either Jesus' instruction or Satan's permission to do the next right thing - and I've often found the next right thing to take far more effort than whispering words to folded hands.
Well I just know that I believe in Jesus. I won't force my opinion on anyone! Jesus didn't either. There were those believed, and those who did not. It's really up to you how you believe. I love those who believe and those that do not. I pray you have a wonderful day:)
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so well programed.
Have you ever had an independant thought?
There is no "god" and there is no "plan."
There is only this life and you are cringing in fear instead of living.
The "good news?" Yes, it is that we are not primitive superstitious goatherders. We know what causes thunder and lightning and it's not
some angry imaginary being.
There is no need to invent answers so we are not afraid of the dark.
The time for invisible friends is over.
You are so misinformed.
Have you ever had a rational thought?
We know what causes thunder and lightning.
We are not primitive and superstitious goatherders.

We do not believe it is possible for that which is nonliving, nonconscious and nonintelligent to , by some freak of nature ,by natural means , to somehow attain unto consciousness , life and intelligence.

That type of witch doctor ,voodoo mentality we leave to the unbelievers who need use irrationality in order to justify their beliefs.

Your irrational views in no way contradict our Faith and beliefs that
Our God lives , Our God reigns and is the true creator of all that exists. That does include TIME ,which God also created and in which you plave your faith and hope , thereby worshipping that which he created instead of worshipping the Creator.
The effect can never be greater than the cause

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

curiousity wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I just know that I believe in Jesus. I won't force my opinion on anyone! Jesus didn't either. There were those believed, and those who did not. It's really up to you how you believe. I love those who believe and those that do not. I pray you have a wonderful day:)
I hope you don't mind, but I'm not going to pray for God to intervene with divine majicks to secure your happiness.
Don't get me wrong - I wish you a wonderful day, as well. I just don't have to be told to do so, I don't try to wheedle the omnipotent Creator of all time and space to my whims (or His 'Son', either) and I don't feel compelled to promulgate a banal platitude. Not being a member of the cult, I would find it hypocritical if I did. No offense intended, of course - to each their own. Carry on.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Books written and inspired by men are certainly not perfect.
However, given that millions of christians keep banging on about how their god is perfect, you'd expect that the book he wrote/inspired would also be perfect. It's not.
Nice to know you agree that the bible isn't perfect - kudos to you for that.
Putting a book full of killing due to ones religious beliefs and claiming it is a good thing, in public schools has the problem of overcoming the billions of people who claim this is the perfect word of god. Teaching it objectively becomes a huge problem. This is why government gives tax exemption to churches.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min DITCH MITCH 150,071
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 16 min Hatti_Hollerand 3,475
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 27 min Big fan 3
Lesb or Bi 31 min Good time Sally 2
KJB marriage straight from the bible!! Marriage... 33 min Just saying 7
Charmaine 1 hr Who 2
Churches 2 hr So true 5

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••