Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,583

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#115439 Oct 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
I see someone is on a role with the judgits on my posts, yet cannot find the logic to rebut my points. Probably Curious.
Maybe, or Sista. Might be some random holier-than-thou who is >also< incapable of mustering a logical thought or a valid rebuttal. I don't often apply judgits, since most of what I agree with is obvious and most of what is asinine is even more obvious.(I will mark KF's posts with "spam", simply because that's what Watchtower pastes are.)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115440 Oct 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I will continue to believe as I do up until the time that someone can provide me with a viable alternative that I can test and study it's validity.
Seems that neither Science or you has been able to provide that viable alternative , other than your HOPE and Faith that at some point in the distant future , Science may arrive at an answer.
You can speculate that such may occur.
That is a leap of Faith that I am unable to make as that would be foolishness on my part
You want a viable alternative to your current brand of delusion, dogma, doctrine and superstition and can't find one? Sorry, can't help you - you've already said you reject mental health professionals. Might help if you narrowed the selection - palm readers? Spiritualists? Tarot? Check with the Spiral Circle in Thornton Park or the swami on Oak Ridge Road. There's always the yellow pages, and Cassadaga is just up I-4... Don't worry - no matter what version of flummery you go with, you'll not look any less foolish than you do now. OMMmmm Serenity now. Serenity now....

“See how you are?”

Earth

#115441 Oct 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
I see someone is on a role with the judgits on my posts, yet cannot find the logic to rebut my points. Probably Curious.
Yup - looks like it was just curious, after all.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#115443 Oct 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
Self congratulations on being logical serves no purpose.
Let us address your so called logical responses to what I have posted.

The Universe and Life exist.

Question is ,How did they come into existence?
EX nihilo has been rejected ,as nothing creates nothing.
So , the possibility that at some point in time nothing existed is illogical
Therefore , something need to have always existed ,which we call the Uncausable Cause.

Could nonintelligent , nonliving and nonconscious matter/energy be the answer?

If that uncausable cause is nonliving , nonconscious and nonintelligent matter ,then how was it , by natural means ,able to transform itself into living,conscious and intelligent matter.
How was it able to create properties that it did not posses ,which it knew nothing about and somehow ,by naural means attain unto those properties. Can those events be explained in reasonable terms?

On the other hand if that uncausable cause that created the Universe and life as we know it ,posseses those properties of life,intelligence and consciousness within itsel in supernatural quantities , it would be very reasonable to believe that It is well
equipped to create and endow that which IT creates with those properties. The IT in question is GOD , asupernatural being.

You eliminate that possibility by your reasoning that you think or believe that a God exixts.

Yet , you are unable to explain how these events may have occured by natural meaans. If I remember correctly you posted that we may never know how these events occured.

So you are in limbo ,not believing in God on the one hand and clueless as to how these events could have been caused by natural means.

What is obvious is that something is responsible for Creation.
By accident or Design is the question?

The accidental theory is based on illogical and unsubstantiated accidents that supposedly occurred billions of years ago , in unknown places under unknown circumstances ,unwitnessed by anyone
and details for which we have no written record.

So those who do not believe God is the creator , in order to explain that which is supernaturally created by using natural means, are left to fantasize as to how Creation came into being.
That is the debate which your logic is unable and incapable of dealing with.

curious

Ocoee, FL

#115444 Oct 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You want a viable alternative to your current brand of delusion, dogma, doctrine and superstition and can't find one? Sorry, can't help you - you've already said you reject mental health professionals. Might help if you narrowed the selection - palm readers? Spiritualists? Tarot? Check with the Spiral Circle in Thornton Park or the swami on Oak Ridge Road. There's always the yellow pages, and Cassadaga is just up I-4... Don't worry - no matter what version of flummery you go with, you'll not look any less foolish than you do now. OMMmmm Serenity now. Serenity now....
Listen , you better have your pet 3 eyed alligator chomp off that 32 year old hemmorhoid that is causing your mental debilitation.

Your response clearly points to the fact that your debating abilities are limited to nonsense and gibberish.
And no ,I need not nor do I desire to visit those sources that you rely on for your abnormal belief system.
I've seen what they have done for you, Dukette , Witchetty , the nut from Nottingham and the many Atheist monikers that have been barred from Topix...
No mas Pantalones

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#115445 Oct 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so well programed.
Have you ever had an independant thought?
There is no "god" and there is no "plan."
There is only this life and you are cringing in fear instead of living.
The "good news?" Yes, it is that we are not primitive superstitious goatherders. We know what causes thunder and lightning and it's not
some angry imaginary being.
There is no need to invent answers so we are not afraid of the dark.
The time for invisible friends is over.
You try to diswade those who would believe by talking about what you do know and that is not of God and your words are only the lies youve been told and instead of learning the truth, you tell yourself and those like you more lies so you don't have to admit your wrong.

Are you so caught up in disbelief and the world that you are unable to know in your heart of the love of God in the words of Jesus Christ?

Surely you can admit you've known of the things he spoke of in this world and experienced the hardness of your heart because of the wrongs that have been done to you.

Perhaps if you read the bible you would be able to understand the goodness he is trying to tell us of so we won't be swallowed up by all the evil this world tries to throw at us.

I think a bible study should be available in your area if you call around and maybe someone will start one in a public library or school then it wouldn't be too much of an obligation or commitment for you to attend since would be open to everyone.

And that is how Jesus is too, he would come to the worst of us and stay at their house and appreciate them washing his feet. So know you are welcome to believe and seek him as he can be found.

Besides God is not invisible to me have you not read in the Bible those with a pure heart will see God and that Christ chided who he will reveal God to?

I have seen Gods hand and I know he is a Spirit and that he is not invisible but he is glorious and awesome and I have heard him and I have felt Jesus touch my forehead and heard him too as well as I have felt the Holy Spirit working in me and have seen him working in other Christians.

So you see there is a lot you don't know and have no business talking about until you do experience God for yourself, your only acting irrational like a little baby crying and scared of something new.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#115446 Oct 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup - looks like it was just curious, after all.
You and Dukette make a great case for those who believe that unintelligent unconscious matter can cause itself ,by natural means
into living matter.
Remember that the effect can never be greater than the cause.
If you know what I mean.....

No mas Pantalones

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#115447 Oct 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to tell you and you donot know the basis for my faith.
Moreover , that is not the issue being discussed. It is your tactic
for injecting nonsense into a topic that you are cerebrally unable to cope with.
In addition , neither Copernicus nor Martin Luther have anything to do with said topic , they are not relevant to the topic at hand.
That you are dragging them into the conversation is obviously a smokescreen .
You further compound your incoherency by attributing statements to me that are a figment of your imagination and I never made.
"Neither is there any evidence to support your beliefs that a bunch of supreme cosmic mega-beings banded together and created the whole shebang"
The Abracadabra magical chant can well be applied to the ludicrous , incomprehensible ,illogical and devoid of intellect opinion that that which is nonliving ,nonconscious and nonintelligent can by some magical formula, create intelligent and conscious life.
You need more than incredible faith to reach that conclusion.
You need to have overdozed on super strength foolishness.
On the other hand , one can arrive at the belief that a supreme being who has within himself the properties of life,intelligence and consciousness would have the ability to create intelligent , conscious life.
Science does not have the ability to prove or disprove God's existence.
Neither does it have the ability to create intelligent conscious life.
Neither can it prove or demonstrate how it is possible that the above mentioned non properties contained in Matter can be transferred by natural means in order to create a living ,conscious intelligent being.
Those who subscribe to the opinion that life does not need an intelligent creator are unable and incapable to justify their opinion.
If you have a theory that is viable in explaining how this opinion you hold is valid , let me know.
No excuses are accepted . Such as , Given time , Science may be able to explain it,
It happened as a result of an accident in the distant past , to which there are no witnesses , no records and no one mentions in any book.
In effect , Science has failed in it's attempts to create life
and has no idea as to how this event may have occured.
So,
If you are unequipped to deal with the issue at hand ,do not add to your confusion by throwing up any more fallacious smokescreens.
Same goes for Witchetty ,Chroe and Dukette
The trouble you have is that you can't even define your god(s).

We can't, because we don't know. Then again, neither do you.

Anyway, there is an extremely strong probability that every single event that occurs in our universe is a natural one. Which means that they can all be explained (albeit not all in our lifetimes) by natural causes alone.

If you want real and tangible truths about our universe then the scientific method is the best guide we have.

If however, you prefer superstitious mumbo jumbo to real truths, then pick up a religious book. It doesn't really matter which one, take your pick.

The Qur’an, Bagahad Gita, Bible, etc,- they're all superstitious nonsense.

Nottingham, UK

#115448 Oct 25, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
The Golden Rule is found entwined through out MANY BELIEFS...except those based upon HATE.
Redundancy AGAIN-already been there, covered that.
Yet it's clear that the god of the bible doesn't think much to the Golden Rule and it's not important that his followers adhere to it.

We know that the bible god instructs his believers to kill other humans.

Furthermore, think about the hundreds of thousands of books that have been written about Christianity. In all the centuries that these books were written, how many are dedicated to what really matters (The Golden Rule). I suspect that the answer is very few indeed.

Check out the NT and you'll read that the main condition for getting into Heaven is not that we observe the Golden Rule.

Instead, it's that we love Jesus, and to God, that is more important than following the Golden Rule. It's not nice to harm your fellow humans but as long as you end up loving Jesus with all your heart then you'll be OK for your ticket to Heaven.

Nottingham, UK

#115449 Oct 25, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Why ruin a whole book with OTHER redemptive qualities, over bad apple pages?
Only lunacy would do that.
It was already ruined.

Nottingham, UK

#115450 Oct 25, 2013
curious wrote:
it will be based on the lifestyle you have chosen ,over which I do not have,nor do I desire any control.
Nope - I refuse to go.

It won't happen to me.

Nottingham, UK

#115451 Oct 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I BELIEVE and have seen not a shred of evidence that would lead me to question my beliefs.
Moreover The incoherent ,illogical and nonsensical postings of Atheists have served to further strengthen my beliefs.
For that , I thank you and the how many others legitimately there might be.
Tell UMM I said hi
The fact that you haven't seen any evidence doesn't mean there isn't any.

I'll ask the question again.

Do you accept that you could be wrong in your beliefs?

Nottingham, UK

#115452 Oct 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ,The fact is that Atheists do not have and have never produced a book full of good ethics and morals.
Their moral code is based on each individuals interpretation of right and wrong based on their desires.Kinda like do whatever turns you on,,,Hippie style.
That is why Witchetty proudly claimed that she has never done anything for which she need feel ashamed.
I assume that if the Pope ever becane aware of her statements
he would either have her cannonized as a saint or cannonaded as a heretic.
I think it's safe to say that most humanists don't believe in any invisible sky pixies.

We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.”- The Affirmations of Humanism: A Statement of Principles

Nottingham, UK

#115453 Oct 25, 2013
curiousity wrote:
I have read through some of these posts. God's word says to go out and preach the gospel. As a Christian I do just that. I spread what I know about Jesus. But I want each person that reads this to know, that whatever your view is I love you! Because God's greatest gift is love! And I pray for each one that reads my post. I love The Lord and I will continue to let His light shine thru my life! God Bless each of you and may you find peace in your hearts!
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian.

Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission.

It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."

Dan Barker

Nottingham, UK

#115454 Oct 25, 2013
curiousity wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! That truly blesses me to know someone felt the love I have for God. Many blessings to you fear friend.:)
Lol

"fear friend"

That was a Freudian slip if ever there was one.

Yes, I guess christians are friends in fear of their god.

Nottingham, UK

#115455 Oct 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Putting a book full of killing due to ones religious beliefs and claiming it is a good thing, in public schools has the problem of overcoming the billions of people who claim this is the perfect word of god. Teaching it objectively becomes a huge problem. This is why government gives tax exemption to churches.
No doubt the christians consider the millions of men, women, children, and babies that the bible god slaughters are evidence of his transcendent love.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#115456 Oct 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The trouble you have is that you can't even define your god(s).
We can't, because we don't know. Then again, neither do you.
Anyway, there is an extremely strong probability that every single event that occurs in our universe is a natural one. Which means that they can all be explained (albeit not all in our lifetimes) by natural causes alone.
If you want real and tangible truths about our universe then the scientific method is the best guide we have.
If however, you prefer superstitious mumbo jumbo to real truths, then pick up a religious book. It doesn't really matter which one, take your pick.
The Qur’an, Bagahad Gita, Bible, etc,- they're all superstitious nonsense.
I don't have any troubles . Unbelievers are the ones who have troubles . They do not think that God exists and try ,by natural means , to explain that which is Supernatural.
Scientific Attempts have utterly failed to explain how we attained the properties of life, intelligence and consciousness.
You lay claim to an extremely strong possibility that every single event that takes place in our Universe is a natural one.
However , you fail to define what that extremely strong possibility is based on and why that possibility should be relied on.
All I have heard so far is , given time ,anything is possible.
That view , most assuredly , is not what I will put my faith and trust in.
That is a leap of faith worthy of a fool.
The Scientific Method that you base your Faith on has been totally unable to address the issues I have posed.
They have failed in all their attempts to create life by natural means. They admit that they don't even have a working thesis in order to address the issue.
Moreover , as I have stated before;
It is Science that asserts that Intelligent Design is not neede to create life.
However , assuming that they ever able to create life , that would completely destroy their theory that Intelligence is not needed for that event to occur.
Your biased opinion on the Bible being a book of superstitions
is deatroyed by the fact that those of us who read the bible completely disagree with your assertion.
Our beliefs are not based on misguided opinions,but on our actual personal experiences....
That is something that Atheists are unable to grasp.

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#115457 Oct 25, 2013
Here is my story,

I had been helped calling on Jesus all my life and I came to know Jesus personally by one day out of a pure heart I helped a young man on the side of the freeway off ramp and gave him some money then I went to the liquor store across the street and saw him come in to immediately buy something. I asked if he needed help and he said yes, so I took him to the mall where I paid for him to get his hair cut, & took him to the Goodwill where he didn’t want any clothes, then took him home where he took a shower for a very long time and then let him sleep peacefully on my couch, and he didn't try anything. He left the next morning and I can’t help to think though he could have been an angel (For thereby some have entertained angels unawares).

In that next few days, my eyes opened and I began to seek the true light of Christ as I was at my wits end and rebelling against the world and the sinful life I was living then Christ delivered from this sinful life. I remember when I turned from sin and heard the angels sing and as I stood in the middle of the room so very still and all of a sudden I stood perfectly still and felt writing on my forehead from the lord, when the writing stopped I fell backwards onto the bed and I knew that it was Christ the Lord, I rejoiced and immediately wanted to share my great experience.
This happened to me just as it is written in Revelation in the Church of Philadelphia: "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name."

Soon after I went to the sink and drank what I thought was water but it was wine! A few years later there was one night when I was just too cooped up in my apartment and needed to get out and I found myself sitting in front of a church and then I heard someone call me "Amber" and it sounded like it was of the Holy Spirit so I have kept this name as my name ever since.

Sometime later after attending a Jewish group for years and petitioning God for his approval as it seemed that those people had all to themselves and I felt left out. I had been so blessed to encounter God voice when I heard him speak personally just to me. I was just walking my dog along the sidewalk in front of a field, I heard “Today I have begotten you” his voice booming with love, when I was feeling so unloved, I was so awed I loved the sound of his voice and I felt warmed by his love and caring.

A day or so later heard Jesus say “”You are an apostle” and it sounded kind of like loving and like a statement of fact, or like he was saying “didn't you know that!” loudly in a shout, and firmly with a commanding strong tone and I was glad he spoke to let me know and I felt humbled and glad, I have thought of him often since he wrote on my forehead, always seeking him in the morning so he would not be far me all day.

A few days later Gods hand and a finger pointing down, seeing his Spirit was awesome, he kind of glowed in definition looking as a large human hand that was sort of transparent glowing of light and he hand was so gloriously enormous as his hand extended from floor to the ceiling and was solid deep pinkish to light burgundy glow like a human hand but luminescent yet natural, not a minute after I saw the hand I turned my head away and pushed back in my chair and then I heard Jesus say “You will judge the 12 tribes of Israel” in a compassionate and consoling tone stated as a matter of fact also letting me know so as not to question it.

Contact me at: amahamber@gmail.com http://facebook.com/ApostleAmber

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#115458 Oct 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian.
Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission.
It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being."
Dan Barker
I have read a few of Dan Barker's books. He writes extensively on morals, but of course Curious is not curious enough to read anything by an atheist, yet he thinks he knows all books atheists have written to the point he can make a bold, absolute claim about them.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#115459 Oct 25, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt the christians consider the millions of men, women, children, and babies that the bible god slaughters are evidence of his transcendent love.
If a god murders those he loves, then his love is meaningless.
Love is a word Christians use to loosely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barbourville High School 2 hr lolol 6
Carla davis 3 hr Confused 14
Margret west clean up Darren's mess 3 hr Darren west 2
Brett Ledford 3 hr Info 2
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 4 hr Princess Hey 370
Does anyone know Deana Hale 6 hr Jack jack 1
laptops 4 sale 6 hr travis 4
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:49 pm PST

NBC Sports12:49PM
Bengals kicker Nugent perfect since overtime miss - NBC Sports
ESPN12:58 PM
Bengals' Smith (torn triceps) goes on IR
Bleacher Report 2:30 PM
Titans Release Veteran LB Phillips
NBC Sports 2:47 PM
Titans release Shaun Phillips, place Brian Schwenke on injured reserve
Bleacher Report 8:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Bucs vs. Bengals?