Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 170612 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

shut it

Stanford, KY

#114767 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in this world that God created but the devil and his followers try to make hellish for everyone because its all they want for themselves and that is what they will get.
It appears that Satan only killed 10 people in the bible: the seven sons and three daughters of Job. And he only does this because god allowed it as part of a bet!. Technically the blood is on god's hands for these as well.

Who, how, why did god kill people in the bible?

Lot's wife for looking back- Gen.19:26
Er who was "wicked in the sight of the Lord"- Gen.38:7, 1 Chr.2:3,
Onan for spilling his seed- Gen.38:10,
Pharaoh and 600 chariot captains (plus his entire army)- Ex.14:8
For dancing naked around Aaron's golden calf- Ex.32:27-28, 35,
Aaron's sons for offering strange fire before the Lord- Lev.10:1-3, Num.3:4, 26:61
A blasphemer- Lev.24:10-23
A man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath- Num.15:32-36,
Korah, Dathan, and Abiram (and their families)- Num.16:27,
Burned to death for offering incense- Num.16:35, 26:10,
For complaining- Num.16:49,
For "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab" - Num.25:9,
Midianite massacre (32,000 virgins were kept alive)- Num.31:1-35,
God tells Joshua to stoned to death Achan (and his family) for taking the accursed thing.- Joshua 7:10-12, 24-26,
God tells Joshua to attack Ai and do what he did to Jericho (kill everyone).- Joshua 8:1-25,
Joshua kills 5 kings and hangs their dead bodies on trees- Joshua 10:24-26
God delivered Canaanites and Perizzites- Judges 1:4
Ehud delivers a message from God: a knife into the king's belly- Jg.3:15-22,
God delivered Moabites- Jg.3:28-29,
God forces Midianite soldiers to kill each other.- Jg.7:2-22, 8:10,
The Spirit of the Lord comes on Samson- Jg.14:19,
The Spirit of the Lord comes mightily on Samson- Jg.15:14-15,
Samson's God-assisted act of terrorism- Jg.16:27-30,
"The Lord smote Benjamin"- Jg.20:35-37,
More Benjamites- Jg.20:44-46
For looking into the ark of the Lord- 1 Sam.6:19
God delivered Philistines- 1 Sam.14:12
Samuel (at God's command) hacks Agag to death- 1 Sam.15:32-33
"The Lord smote Nabal."- 1 Sam.25:38
Uzzah for trying to keep the ark from falling- 2 Sam.6:6-7, 1 Chr.13:9-10
David and Bathsheba's baby boy- 2 Sam.12:14-18
Seven sons of Saul hung up before the Lord- 2 Sam.21:6-9
From plague as punishment for David's census (men only; probably 200,000 if including women and children)- 2 Sam.24:15, 1 Chr.21:14
A prophet for believing another prophet's lie- 1 Kg.13:1-24
Religious leaders killed in prayer contest- 1 Kg.18:22-40
God delivers the Syrians into the Israelites' hands- 1 Kg.20:28-29
God makes a wall fall on Syrian soldiers- 1 Kg.20:30
God sent a lion to eat a man for not killing a prophet- 1 Kg.20:35-36
Ahaziah is killed for talking to the wrong god.- 2 Kg.1:2-4, 17, 2 Chr.22:7-9
Burned to death by God- 2 Kg.1:9-12
God sends two bears to kill children for making fun of Elisha's bald head- 2 Kg.2:23-24
Trampled to death for disbelieving Elijah- 2 Kg.7:17-20
Jezebel- 2 Kg.9:33-37
God sent lions to kill "some" foreigners - 2 Kg.17:25-26
Sleeping Assyrian soldiers- 2 Kg.19:35, Is.37:36
Saul- 1 Chr.10:14
God delivers Israel into the hands of Judah- 2 Chr.13:15-17
Jeroboam- 2 Chr.13:20
"The Lord smote the Ethiopians."- 2 Chr.14:9-14
God kills Jehoram by making his bowels fall out- 2 Chr.21:14-19
Judean soldiers- 2 Chr.28:6
Ezekiel's wife- Ezek.24:15-18
Ananias and Sapphira- Acts 5:1-10
Herod- Acts 12:23

Since: Oct 13

Covington, KY

#114768 Oct 17, 2013
the truth wrote:
Vlad Tepis the man known as Count Dracula in real life was a Romanian prince and he was indeed Christian. That is historical fact. Hitler was also a Christian.
The Bible is also fallible.
It was written by men and men are fallible. To believe God wrote the bible is pure lunacy.
It's fine that you believe in God but you have no right to force your belief on other people.
You are taking so much out of context to try to strengthen your argument against the bible in schools that your even interpreting that I would force someone to read the bible, I cant imagine how even you with your false fears could think I could ever do that.

In your aguement anyone can clearly see that you will try to use or grasp at any oppositional inference of the status quo to twist your lies and half hearted beliefs into your perceived worldly view. That will not overcome the truth of the love of God through Jesus as is found in the Bible.

You argue to prevent those who would like to have a bible study in schools it seems you lack good desernment to believe the truth in the bible and that it is more than just educational but encouraging to all as a foundational text of human society.

There is no foundation in believing someone who is clearly evil is Christian.

That belief is as bad as your arguement in that just as the Devil is no longer an Angel because he has fallen so too anyone who is evil can not still be a Christian. You should study the last part of the bible that tells of this.

Covington, KY

#114769 Oct 17, 2013
shut it wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears that Satan only killed 10 people in the bible: the seven sons and three daughters of Job. And he only does this because god allowed it as part of a bet!. Technically the blood is on god's hands for these as well.
Who, how, why did god kill people in the bible?
Lot's wife for looking back- Gen.19:26
Er who was "wicked in the sight of the Lord"- Gen.38:7, 1 Chr.2:3,
Onan for spilling his seed- Gen.38:10,
Pharaoh and 600 chariot captains (plus his entire army)- Ex.14:8
For dancing naked around Aaron's golden calf- Ex.32:27-28, 35,
Aaron's sons for offering strange fire before the Lord- Lev.10:1-3, Num.3:4, 26:61
A blasphemer- Lev.24:10-23
A man who picked up sticks on the Sabbath- Num.15:32-36,
Korah, Dathan, and Abiram (and their families)- Num.16:27,
Burned to death for offering incense- Num.16:35, 26:10,
For complaining- Num.16:49,
For "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab" - Num.25:9,
Midianite massacre (32,000 virgins were kept alive)- Num.31:1-35,
God tells Joshua to stoned to death Achan (and his family) for taking the accursed thing.- Joshua 7:10-12, 24-26,
God tells Joshua to attack Ai and do what he did to Jericho (kill everyone).- Joshua 8:1-25,
Joshua kills 5 kings and hangs their dead bodies on trees- Joshua 10:24-26
God delivered Canaanites and Perizzites- Judges 1:4
Ehud delivers a message from God: a knife into the king's belly- Jg.3:15-22,
God delivered Moabites- Jg.3:28-29,
God forces Midianite soldiers to kill each other.- Jg.7:2-22, 8:10,
The Spirit of the Lord comes on Samson- Jg.14:19,
The Spirit of the Lord comes mightily on Samson- Jg.15:14-15,
Samson's God-assisted act of terrorism- Jg.16:27-30,
"The Lord smote Benjamin"- Jg.20:35-37,
More Benjamites- Jg.20:44-46
For looking into the ark of the Lord- 1 Sam.6:19
God delivered Philistines- 1 Sam.14:12
Samuel (at God's command) hacks Agag to death- 1 Sam.15:32-33
"The Lord smote Nabal."- 1 Sam.25:38
Uzzah for trying to keep the ark from falling- 2 Sam.6:6-7, 1 Chr.13:9-10
David and Bathsheba's baby boy- 2 Sam.12:14-18
Seven sons of Saul hung up before the Lord- 2 Sam.21:6-9
From plague as punishment for David's census (men only; probably 200,000 if including women and children)- 2 Sam.24:15, 1 Chr.21:14
A prophet for believing another prophet's lie- 1 Kg.13:1-24
Religious leaders killed in prayer contest- 1 Kg.18:22-40
God delivers the Syrians into the Israelites' hands- 1 Kg.20:28-29
God makes a wall fall on Syrian soldiers- 1 Kg.20:30
God sent a lion to eat a man for not killing a prophet- 1 Kg.20:35-36
Ahaziah is killed for talking to the wrong god.- 2 Kg.1:2-4, 17, 2 Chr.22:7-9
Burned to death by God- 2 Kg.1:9-12
God sends two bears to kill children for making fun of Elisha's bald head- 2 Kg.2:23-24
Trampled to death for disbelieving Elijah- 2 Kg.7:17-20
Jezebel- 2 Kg.9:33-37
God sent lions to kill "some" foreigners - 2 Kg.17:25-26
Sleeping Assyrian soldiers- 2 Kg.19:35, Is.37:36
Saul- 1 Chr.10:14
God delivers Israel into the hands of Judah- 2 Chr.13:15-17
Jeroboam- 2 Chr.13:20
"The Lord smote the Ethiopians."- 2 Chr.14:9-14
God kills Jehoram by making his bowels fall out- 2 Chr.21:14-19
Judean soldiers- 2 Chr.28:6
Ezekiel's wife- Ezek.24:15-18
Ananias and Sapphira- Acts 5:1-10
Herod- Acts 12:23
This is also without understanding as to the reasons that led to these things happening let alone what the eventual outcome was. But as it is then you should know to fear God because he can also throw you into Hell.

I know and am thankful for Jesus that he is the lamb of God and I have salvation from my sin because God sent him to die in my place so I will live an everlasting life free from that evil is in this world.
the truth

Winchester, KY

#114770 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are taking so much out of context to try to strengthen your argument against the bible in schools that your even interpreting that I would force someone to read the bible, I cant imagine how even you with your false fears could think I could ever do that.
In your aguement anyone can clearly see that you will try to use or grasp at any oppositional inference of the status quo to twist your lies and half hearted beliefs into your perceived worldly view. That will not overcome the truth of the love of God through Jesus as is found in the Bible.
You argue to prevent those who would like to have a bible study in schools it seems you lack good desernment to believe the truth in the bible and that it is more than just educational but encouraging to all as a foundational text of human society.
There is no foundation in believing someone who is clearly evil is Christian.
That belief is as bad as your arguement in that just as the Devil is no longer an Angel because he has fallen so too anyone who is evil can not still be a Christian. You should study the last part of the bible that tells of this.
Skip none of what I type and do not make an opinion based on absolutely nothing.

I believe in God.

The difference between me and you is that I believe in the real God.

The God of this universe and of the multiverses.

The God of this dimension and all dimensions.

My God is the God of Gods and holds no judgement over the creation.

He is not a he or a she or an it.

My God is everything and is a in everything.

He has no shape or form but is all things.

My God resides within me and you.

My God doesn't chastise or condemn.

You think of God as an old man with a white beard on a throne judging people because a 2000 year old book and some old preacher told you so.

According to the Jews (Christ was a Jew BTW not a christian)there is no hell and that is invention of the Roman catholic church to scare people into the fold.

That is a fact.

You believe in a book that was written from scrolls translated from an unspoken ancient language, into a different tongues and then re-translated into English, a thousand years later.

A book that was pieced together from 700 hundred different books into the bible that you are only aware of and care so much about.

Not only that.

The mythology in your Old Testament is from an even older race of people in Mesopotamia (Sumeria) called the Sumerians.

They wrote those stories down 4 thousand years before the Jews in the old testament and 6 thousands years before Christ was even heard of.

If you believe those stories then you believe that your God is in fact 3 gods Ahn, Enlil and Bel and you are in fact Sumerian.

These are facts.

Learn your history.

And the new testament was written 40 years after Christ was crucified as a man and it didn't get to be a printed bible until 1450. Then it didn't get printed in America until the 1600s.

Learn your history.

These are facts. T

hey are not a means to try to unconvert or to sway an argument. They are undeniable facts.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114771 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
We pay taxes on the roads too, would you try to say I can't study the bible with fellow believers and those curious to hear what it says in public on tax payer streets? Do you really feel you have the authority to prevent peaceful public gatherings too?
Try reading this again with your brain turned on.....

No one is telling you that you can't read and study the babble,
in your home, in church, in public parks and on the streets...

But public SCHOOLS are funded by taxpayers.
Not ALL taxpayers are Christian.
This is such a simple concept.
No religion in schools because it is unconstitutional for the government to show preference to any religion.

Do you want your tax dollars to support the study of the Torah, Quran, the Bhagavad Gita? Do you want your children being taught other religious myths?
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text> Just because there are different views on a subject of interpretation it doesn't mean it should not be free to be discussed. If a person wants to study a different religion they should be free to do it or go to a free study hall for the hour but not censored.
In public elementary, middle and high schools kids need to learn the basics....how to read, write, add, subtract, etc.
There is not enough time nor teachers able to do this now.
Churches can and do teach religion.

A comparative religion class in college is a great idea.
Let them compare them all and see how very similar they all are.
Yet how each one demands that only THEY ARE RIGHT.

Nothing turns a believer into an atheist faster or better than studying religions.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114772 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
This is also without understanding as to the reasons that led to these things happening let alone what the eventual outcome was. But as it is then you should know to fear God because he can also throw you into Hell.
I know and am thankful for Jesus that he is the lamb of God and I have salvation from my sin because God sent him to die in my place so I will live an everlasting life free from that evil is in this world.
I am truly sorry for you.
It must be very difficult to live burdened with such an awful lie.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#114773 Oct 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
That is brilliant. Thanks for sharing it.
I will copy it and share it with others from time to time.
You're very welcome!:-)

Cambridge, UK

#114774 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
That must have been from some book you studied on school too bad it's missing the mark of truth and light that the bible has.
How do you deal with all the contradictions in the Bible?

Covington, KY

#114775 Oct 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I am truly sorry for you.
It must be very difficult to live burdened with such an awful lie.
You are too blinded by hate to have any decent conversation about the love I know in God. I will pray for you to seek the truth and light in Jesus.
whatever

Winchester, KY

#114776 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too blinded by hate to have any decent conversation about the love I know in God. I will pray for you to seek the truth and light in Jesus.
Even Jesus would look down you for being a blind follower and for being ignorant. You have no idea about the real man. You only know what your preacher told you.

Covington, KY

#114777 Oct 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you deal with all the contradictions in the Bible?
There is a place and time appropriate for all scripture meanings. I may have a very good reason one day for finding a tree unattractive but then on the next day I might have a very good reason to find it attractive maybe it was how the light shown upon it.

We are not robots only thinking in the logical are we, we consider many things around us minute by minute and one instance gives way to another our experience changes as do our need so then why should we try to limit the word of God which goes on forever and ever to what we can fathom, touch, see, hear when the Holy Spirit is alive and moves us spiritually.

One day I read that because I am a believer in Christ I will be like the Angels in heaven then another day reading another scripture I read we will be equal to the Angels in heaven, it wasn't the exact same but it gave my thoughts on the subject peace in the Spirit.

Every day there is some new outlook on life with the bible and it encourages me on.

Cambridge, UK

#114778 Oct 17, 2013
Did anyone see yesterday's tables and statistics showing the levels of slavery and forced labour?

I couldn't help noticing that the worst figures were in the countries where levels of religion/superstition are at their highest.

Hardly surprising given that the god of the bible supports slavery.

Covington, KY

#114779 Oct 17, 2013
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>Even Jesus would look down you for being a blind follower and for being ignorant. You have no idea about the real man. You only know what your preacher told you.
My Preacher is Jesus and your speaking of yourself of being ignorant if you don't know he is my high priest but you seem just to assume I only know what I have heard is that because you don't know of him?

Faith comes by hearing the word of God so perhaps you should go to church and listen yourself to your preacher and seek Jesus before making your bad judgements of me.
whatever

Winchester, KY

#114780 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a place and time appropriate for all scripture meanings. I may have a very good reason one day for finding a tree unattractive but then on the next day I might have a very good reason to find it attractive maybe it was how the light shown upon it.
We are not robots only thinking in the logical are we, we consider many things around us minute by minute and one instance gives way to another our experience changes as do our need so then why should we try to limit the word of God which goes on forever and ever to what we can fathom, touch, see, hear when the Holy Spirit is alive and moves us spiritually.
One day I read that because I am a believer in Christ I will be like the Angels in heaven then another day reading another scripture I read we will be equal to the Angels in heaven, it wasn't the exact same but it gave my thoughts on the subject peace in the Spirit.
Every day there is some new outlook on life with the bible and it encourages me on.
Where did you read that "because I am a believer in Christ I will be like the Angels in heaven then another day reading another scripture I read we will be equal to the Angels in heaven"?

This scripture?
Luke 20:36 - "Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection."

This scripture puritans to being equal to the angels in your immortality after the resurrection. It does not say we will be equal to angels having power, form, dominion and strength like theirs. You are reading to much into that. The scripture is being specific.

Psalms 104:4 - "(God)Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:"

So we'll be ministers a flaming fire like the angels?

I don't think so.

Psalms 8:5 - "For thou hast made him (man)a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honor.

All you get is glory and honor. The angels are still above you.

Covington, KY

#114781 Oct 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Did anyone see yesterday's tables and statistics showing the levels of slavery and forced labour?
I couldn't help noticing that the worst figures were in the countries where levels of religion/superstition are at their highest.
Hardly surprising given that the god of the bible supports slavery.
The principalities and powers of this world in high places shall be brought low.

2 Timothy 3
King James Version (KJV)
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.
whatever

Winchester, KY

#114782 Oct 17, 2013
I believe I know quite a bit more about Christ and the bible than you do. I'm a former deacon. I more than read the bible. I had to study faithfully for 5 years before I was made a deacon in the church I went to. I had studied 14 years prior to that when I wasn't even a Christian studying world religions, demonology, mythology, cults and the occult...

I believe I am more qualified to tell you about the bible than you are to tell me because you actually know very little about where is comes from or the history behind it.

BTW every time you make the assumption that I'm not saved or that I don't know Christ or that I don't know God. You are judging me.

Covington, KY

#114783 Oct 17, 2013
whatever wrote:
I believe I know quite a bit more about Christ and the bible than you do. I'm a former deacon. I more than read the bible. I had to study faithfully for 5 years before I was made a deacon in the church I went to. I had studied 14 years prior to that when I wasn't even a Christian studying world religions, demonology, mythology, cults and the occult...
I believe I am more qualified to tell you about the bible than you are to tell me because you actually know very little about where is comes from or the history behind it.
BTW every time you make the assumption that I'm not saved or that I don't know Christ or that I don't know God. You are judging me.
You might think by some man made standard you are someone great or having studied so much know more than others but God knows the heart and has chosen who he will.

There are no limits to what God can do through the Holy Spirit. No diploma needed or title given by man is necessary to believe and do the Lords will.

God is no respecter of persons and many were amazed that Jesus knew so much too not having had studied the accepted way that day was the traditions of men and neither do I, as Christ is my teacher.

I don't study about cults or other religions, I would rather give my full attention to the word of God not man made false beliefs.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#114784 Oct 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
This post Only shows you have no idea what constitutes Evidence...
If a snowman walked into your house, and sat down in your chair... Melted, While you watched...
You'd still know it happened!
The evidence I have is like that, only
I know RIGHT from WRONG, AND
Never feel like I WANT to do it again!
A change only God can make!
If you knew before, and now...
You'd see it too!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#114785 Oct 18, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You have yet to post any independent data. If you wish to believe the health care program is bad, so be it. You certainly have no convinced me. And when Yes and Amen agrees with you, it only makes your opinion look suspect.
Maybe some pictures will help you!
http://www.ijreview.com
Go to the cartoon section!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#114786 Oct 18, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>JW's came to my house and used the analogy of pancake ingredients and throwing them up in the air and expecting pancakes. I replied, well if I leave those ingredients laying around a few days, they will transform. Maybe not into what you wish them to be, but why should they? Reality is not for wishing.
The reality is...
You'll look for any idiotic idea to say ID isn't real...
God had nothing to do with you being here...
Deny on....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Movie talk with The Specialist. 3 min Stayoffmylawn 23
In Front of Hosptial 6 min bimblegy2020 1
omg ! tractor supply is great 25 min Real me 142
News Police make arrest in Bingham Tire investigation (Aug '13) 56 min dumb 10
Transmission Problem 1 hr Outsider looking in 3
Warren to receive Knox schools JOB ! ! ! 3 hr court house 28
Why 4 hr Right 3

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance