Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 159449 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#114738 Oct 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been over and over the history of the Nebraska Man error and the Piltdown Man hoax.
------
Irreducible complexity is disproved, men wrote the Bible.
<quoted text>
In other words, he thinks science (books) are lies written by conspiratorial cheaters and liars with an agenda toward biblical "Truth." Anyone who understands what is written in science texts is an idiot. Answersingenesis, on the other hand, is flawless and pristine. Anyone who differentiates Christian doctrine from reality hates God. And of course, is also an idiot.
<quoted text>
Irony, through and through. It would be funny if it wasn't so friggin' sad.
Nice post

One of the great strengths of science is that eventually the fakes and fraudsters will be found out. Unlike religion which started as one big fake and remains one big fake.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#114739 Oct 17, 2013
just sayin wrote:
I think that the Bible Should be taught in schools and I also think that the Ten Commandments should be posted in the schools as well and maybe if kids were reminded of God and taught of him sacrificing his only Son so we could have everlasting life then maybe some of the drug problems and maybe some of the killings would stop.. and ps I think that God should be back in places like the court houses and other government buildings
You're kidding.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#114740 Oct 17, 2013
A few years ago the Pope referred to priests as a gift to the world.

Pat Condell replied:

The pope recently called priests a gift to the world, and Condell replied,

"It's as if God said,‘Hey, world! I’ve got a gift for you. I got it specially. It’s a predatory class of self-serving parasite who will suck out your dreams and grind them to dust, who will poison your naturally joyous and spontaneous natures with the leaden and life-draining emotions of guilt and fear, and who will lead you away from the path to wisdom and enlightenment and straight into a box canyon of superstition and dogma solely for their benefit, and you are going to lap it up like puppy dogs.

Any questions? No, I didn’t think so. Well, just for that, I’m going to let them rape your kids as well, and get away with it. Enjoy!"

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#114741 Oct 17, 2013
My God Can Beat Up Your God

Richard Bamford

My god can beat up your god.

Do you know his name? Sure you do. He talks to you every day. You could not live a normal life without him. You believe in him, whether you like it or not. Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.

My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you. He lives within us all, to some degree.

A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault. The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.

My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods. But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.

When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.

When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.

When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.

When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.

While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.

When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.

While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.

When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.

When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.

While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.

While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.

While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.

While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.

When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."

My god is reason. He does more in a day than your god will ever do.
acc35

London, KY

#114746 Oct 17, 2013
kellerman wrote:
It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
I do understand where u are coming from, there is alot of religion, but the thing is were we are from the majority religion is christian. I think the kids should have the opportunity to get involved if they want to. To make it suitable for everyone, then they need to have a religion class that the kids can participate in at their choice. I also think that there are so many kids out there lost now because they are not taught the word of God and thats why kids are looking for something and they are depressed and cutting themselves, and having a hard time.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114748 Oct 17, 2013
just sayin wrote:
I think that the Bible Should be taught in schools and I also think that the Ten Commandments should be posted in the schools as well and maybe if kids were reminded of God
You want to tell them: Be afraid, small children! There is an invisible parent watching everything you do...and he knows what you are thinking...all the time. He is going to punish you FOREVER if you aren't good.
Yeah, like that will be a good thing...***eye roll***
just sayin wrote:
and taught of him sacrificing his only Son so we could have everlasting life then maybe some of the drug problems and maybe some of the killings would stop..
Of course... show kids how a "god" would kill his son... and then maybe they'll decide to get rid of (oh, I mean "sacrifice") their little brother or sister so they won't be blamed for accidently breaking daddy's favorite power tool.
The concept of a scapegoat is not lost on a child.

I have a better idea. How about being a responsible parent? Showing your kid that you love them but won't put up with unacceptable behavior?

just sayin wrote:
and ps I think that God should be back in places like the court houses and other government buildings
If a "god" were really omnipotent and omnipresent, as the babble tells us he is, then it would be impossible for him NOT to be in a court house or school.

All that aside......If you want children to learn the myths of religion, take them to a church. There are plenty of them.

Schools need to teach REAL LIFE skills, preparing kids to be successful, well-adjusted, productive, adult members of society.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114749 Oct 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
My God Can Beat Up Your God
Richard Bamford
My god can beat up your god.
Do you know his name? Sure you do. He talks to you every day. You could not live a normal life without him. You believe in him, whether you like it or not. Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.
My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you. He lives within us all, to some degree.
A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault. The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.
My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods. But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.
When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.
When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.
When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.
When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.
While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.
When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.
While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.
When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.
When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.
While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.
While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.
While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.
While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.
When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."
My god is reason. He does more in a day than your god will ever do.
That is brilliant. Thanks for sharing it.
I will copy it and share it with others from time to time.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114750 Oct 17, 2013
acc35 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand where u are coming from, there is alot of religion, but the thing is were we are from the majority religion is christian. I think the kids should have the opportunity to get involved if they want to.
We already have plenty of those. They are called CHURCHES.
acc35 wrote:
<quoted text> To make it suitable for everyone, then they need to have a religion class that the kids can participate in at their choice.
CHURCHES. Lots of different faiths are represented in every town.
acc35 wrote:
<quoted text>I also think that there are so many kids out there lost now because they are not taught the word of God and thats why kids are looking for something and they are depressed and cutting themselves, and having a hard time.
Teaching them to have an imaginary friend is not going to help.
A kid who is depressed or cutting needs professional counseling.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#114752 Oct 17, 2013
just sayin wrote:
I think that the Bible Should be taught in schools and I also think that the Ten Commandments should be posted in the schools as well and maybe if kids were reminded of God and taught of him sacrificing his only Son so we could have everlasting life then maybe some of the drug problems and maybe some of the killings would stop.. and ps I think that God should be back in places like the court houses and other government buildings
Are you referring to the ten commandments that Moses brought down from the mountain?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#114753 Oct 17, 2013
acc35 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand where u are coming from, there is alot of religion, but the thing is were we are from the majority religion is christian. I think the kids should have the opportunity to get involved if they want to. To make it suitable for everyone, then they need to have a religion class that the kids can participate in at their choice. I also think that there are so many kids out there lost now because they are not taught the word of God and thats why kids are looking for something and they are depressed and cutting themselves, and having a hard time.
Lord, please bless this new crop of religies with enough intact neural pathways to understand the Cat in the Hat.
so true

United States

#114754 Oct 17, 2013
well nice to know , it keeps on. not been on here for sometime. guess to much going on in my life, as I am sure is each of yours. Still wishing you each joy, even though I don't totally agree with each of you . Great night.. Its turning bur..
so true

United States

#114755 Oct 17, 2013
May I ask , you all a question? Do people really speak in tongue? Just was curious about your outlook on it? Thanks

Since: Oct 13

Covington, KY

#114756 Oct 17, 2013
I feel the bible should be welcomed everywhere and if there are people who want to study the Bible in school who are we to prevent them. God can be worshipped anywhere and the word will go on forever.

I think if you can realize how arguing about people having the choice to study the bible in school could be somewhat the beginnings of how Hitler burned bibles then persecuted people, you would know how unfruitful your debate is.

We have freedom to do many things in the USA, even study scriptures in the bible at our public schools if we chose. Only those people who don't appreciate the freedom we have in Jesus Christ limit themselves to their own interpretation of how and where it's politically correct to do things and always according to mans laws or for worldly acceptance.

I wish to please God as Jesus always did and Worship him wherever I am and also in Fellowship where two or more are gathered together in Jesus's name even in public schools.
so true

United States

#114757 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
I feel the bible should be welcomed everywhere and if there are people who want to study the Bible in school who are we to prevent them. God can be worshipped anywhere and the word will go on forever.
I think if you can realize how arguing about people having the choice to study the bible in school could be somewhat the beginnings of how Hitler burned bibles then persecuted people, you would know how unfruitful your debate is.
We have freedom to do many things in the USA, even study scriptures in the bible at our public schools if we chose. Only those people who don't appreciate the freedom we have in Jesus Christ limit themselves to their own interpretation of how and where it's politically correct to do things and always according to mans laws or for worldly acceptance.
I wish to please God as Jesus always did and Worship him wherever I am and also in Fellowship where two or more are gathered together in Jesus's name even in public schools.
That is awesome . However I don't tend to be that strong. congrats

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114758 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
I feel the bible should be welcomed everywhere and if there are people who want to study the Bible in school who are we to prevent them. God can be worshipped anywhere and the word will go on forever.
I think if you can realize how arguing about people having the choice to study the bible in school could be somewhat the beginnings of how Hitler burned bibles then persecuted people, you would know how unfruitful your debate is.
We have freedom to do many things in the USA, even study scriptures in the bible at our public schools if we chose. Only those people who don't appreciate the freedom we have in Jesus Christ limit themselves to their own interpretation of how and where it's politically correct to do things and always according to mans laws or for worldly acceptance.
I wish to please God as Jesus always did and Worship him wherever I am and also in Fellowship where two or more are gathered together in Jesus's name even in public schools.
No one is telling you that you can't read and study the babble.
In your home, in church, in public parks and on the streets...

But public SCHOOLS are funded by taxpayers.
Not ALL taxpayers are Christian.
This is such a simple concept.
No religion in schools because it is unconstitutional for the government to show preference to any religion.

Do you want your tax dollars to support the study of the Torah, Quran, the Bhagavad Gita? Do you want your children being taught other religious myths?

Go to church and leave the public schools to teach the facts that children need so they can function in the real world.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#114759 Oct 17, 2013
so true wrote:
May I ask , you all a question? Do people really speak in tongue? Just was curious about your outlook on it? Thanks
Rolling around on the floor gibbering?
Self-induced frenzy would be my guess.
The intense desire to be special.
70girl

Port Orange, FL

#114760 Oct 17, 2013
Let the children decide, at least offer it. Its definitely not a bad thing. It may also create a conscious for these kids and give them a support system to turn to when needed. It sure helped me when I was a kid. Yes, I agree with bringing back the paddle. It was a good life, we just didn't know it then. Our children today have no morals and its why we have so many problems in the school system.

Since: Oct 13

Covington, KY

#114761 Oct 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is telling you that you can't read and study the babble.
In your home, in church, in public parks and on the streets...
But public SCHOOLS are funded by taxpayers.
Not ALL taxpayers are Christian.
This is such a simple concept.
No religion in schools because it is unconstitutional for the government to show preference to any religion.
Do you want your tax dollars to support the study of the Torah, Quran, the Bhagavad Gita? Do you want your children being taught other religious myths?
Go to church and leave the public schools to teach the facts that children need so they can function in the real world.
I live in this world that God created but the devil and his followers try to make hellish for everyone because its all they want for themselves and that is what they will get.

Unfortunately some people who would live in Gods love have been buffered by hate because of all the evil in the world they don't see how misinformed and deluded they are with their false priorities and lies.

We pay taxes on the roads too, would you try to say I can't study the bible with fellow believers and those curious to hear what it says in public on tax payer streets? Do you really feel you have the authority to prevent peaceful public gatherings too?

No matter where I am I know I am God's child but you have to chose to live according to who you want in control of you life - God or mammon. Give to Caesar what is his and to God what is his.

Just because there are different views on a subject of interpretation it doesn't mean it should not be free to be discussed. If a person wants to study a different religion they should be free to do it or go to a free study hall for the hour but not censored.

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

#114762 Oct 17, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in this world that God created but the devil and his followers try to make hellish for everyone because its all they want for themselves and that is what they will get.
Unfortunately some people who would live in Gods love have been buffered by hate because of all the evil in the world they don't see how misinformed and deluded they are with their false priorities and lies.
We pay taxes on the roads too, would you try to say I can't study the bible with fellow believers and those curious to hear what it says in public on tax payer streets? Do you really feel you have the authority to prevent peaceful public gatherings too?
No matter where I am I know I am God's child but you have to chose to live according to who you want in control of you life - God or mammon. Give to Caesar what is his and to God what is his.
Just because there are different views on a subject of interpretation it doesn't mean it should not be free to be discussed. If a person wants to study a different religion they should be free to do it or go to a free study hall for the hour but not censored.
Dracula was a Christian.

Since: Oct 13

Covington, KY

#114763 Oct 17, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Dracula was a Christian.
That must have been from some book you studied on school too bad it's missing the mark of truth and light that the bible has.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heidrick 3 min Quantummist 13
Artemus Bridge 29 min Quantummist 3
New business 48 min bvillain 5
Methheads 51 min Facts 4
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 3,970
finger lickin good 5 hr yardbird lover 6
Wow 5 hr Wow 1
Body Found 15 hr mike 3

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages