Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,433)

Showing posts 108,641 - 108,660 of122,639
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what YaA, it was very nice to read you say that...for some very special reasons..thank you...you made my day!!:-)
:-)

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh Clueless Wonder...
You only Hope Christ is un-real...
You, like all atheists will find out how wrong you were!
I still pray for you... all!
Oh, Clueless Wonder...
Let me spell it out for you AGAIN. Jesus was a social reformer. After his death cults were formed around him that resulted in creative aggrandizement and eventually the hocus pocus mysteries that became canonized - by the very same early CATHOLIC church that you deem idolizers and misled by Satan.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Might I make a suggestion?
Since you ,Duquette , Q , Witchetty ,Spacedout, Lodi and others feel so strongly about your opinions ,why don't you get involved politically and run an Atheist for national office instead of wasting your time posting nonsense on Topix.
On the other hand , since your views are so diametrically opposed to the majority of Americans , your candidate would be soundly trounced.
All studies indicate that Atheists are the most distrusted group in america , bar none.
The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry." The results from two of the most important questions were:
This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...
Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%
I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....
Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%
Distrust and fear go hand in hand and with them, bigotry - as your polls clearly indicated. Am I supposed to kow-tow to these mainstream prejudices and biases? It may be well and good for you, but not for me. I am an independent voter. I vote for whomever I feel most qualified and I don't greatly care about their denomination or ethnicity - unless they use and abuse it to garner unwarranted public respect. My daughter and son are their own persons, who make their own adult decisions. I've never had ownership of them, only stewardship to the best of my ability until they could stand on their own. As I stated - religions are all about fears.(There are even states that officially deem atheists ineligible for elected offices.) If a candidate lords themselves as a Southern Baptist, it only validates my concern that the Southern Baptists' policies will carry a greater weight in public policy than the Jews, Presbyterians, Catholics or yes, even Muslims. I've found that the more devout one is to a cause, the more skewed is their understanding and application of principles. I had misgivings that Obama touted himself as a member of Chicago's largest black church (which I have since come to believe was/is a socio-political convenience) and I have concerns when a candidate is proud of "belonging to" of a lily-white church, too. I don't speak for the others you mention, but I do not believe in religion, dogma, and doctrine, and the organizations that tell people they must commune THEIR way (at 10% gross or net) or get the Hell out. Be that as it may, you've confused me with being an atheist, but I am agnostic. I am well aware of the chasm that yawns between religion and spirituality and you are greatly mistaken in believing that because I am not all about orating my philosophies (or an adopted set, either) for all the world to murmur about, you think I do not believe in anything at all. Harm none, be the uncarved block, treat thy neighbor as thyself.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Distrust and fear go hand in hand and with them, bigotry - as your polls clearly indicated. Am I supposed to kow-tow to these mainstream prejudices and biases? It may be well and good for you, but not for me. I am an independent voter. I vote for whomever I feel most qualified and I don't greatly care about their denomination or ethnicity - unless they use and abuse it to garner unwarranted public respect. My daughter and son are their own persons, who make their own adult decisions. I've never had ownership of them, only stewardship to the best of my ability until they could stand on their own. As I stated - religions are all about fears.(There are even states that officially deem atheists ineligible for elected offices.) If a candidate lords themselves as a Southern Baptist, it only validates my concern that the Southern Baptists' policies will carry a greater weight in public policy than the Jews, Presbyterians, Catholics or yes, even Muslims. I've found that the more devout one is to a cause, the more skewed is their understanding and application of principles. I had misgivings that Obama touted himself as a member of Chicago's largest black church (which I have since come to believe was/is a socio-political convenience) and I have concerns when a candidate is proud of "belonging to" of a lily-white church, too. I don't speak for the others you mention, but I do not believe in religion, dogma, and doctrine, and the organizations that tell people they must commune THEIR way (at 10% gross or net) or get the Hell out. Be that as it may, you've confused me with being an atheist, but I am agnostic. I am well aware of the chasm that yawns between religion and spirituality and you are greatly mistaken in believing that because I am not all about orating my philosophies (or an adopted set, either) for all the world to murmur about, you think I do not believe in anything at all. Harm none, be the uncarved block, treat thy neighbor as thyself.
***applauds*** Well said!

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason to believe things will change over the next 10 years. The study clearly shows that Americans are in total disagreement with what Atheism represents.
Wait, watch and learn.
Perhaps the "learn" part is beyond you, but do try.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Don't forget "Blind fools"!
I'd love for your eyes to be opened soon!
I was going to say something different, but the Holy Spirit
told me to say this!
There you go. Obeying that "voice" inside your head again.
Your family should be concerned for their safety.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
I still pray for you... all!
LOL! And look how well that's working out.

I, for one, haven't felt the slightest tingle of doubt in my mind.
I am doing just what you constantly recommend..."Hold that thought!"

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think
That is evident.
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Or... we'd bless all the food in the world, and not have to say it every time!
So why don't you? If you could do something "good" for all the world, why don't you?
Because you know "blessing" food means nothing and does nothing.
The food is still the same as it was.

"Blessing" food is an exercise in mental masterbation.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The distrust of Atheists is not limited to believers.
Polls indicate that Nonbelievers trust believers more that they do Nonbelievers.
I find that to be amazing...
What would cause an Atheist to trust a believer more than he would a fellow Atheist?
There must be something inherent in Atheism that makes the Atheist feel veryh uncomfortable about trusting his own

Religious Believers Don’t Trust Atheists, Says New Study

By Kim Carollo

Dec 14, 2011 4:53pm
If an atheist ran for president, a recent poll suggests, he or she wouldn’t win many votes.

That might be at least partly because of the main reason religious people dislike atheists: They think nonbelievers can’t be trusted, according to a new study.

“Where there are religious majorities — that is, in most of the world — atheists are among the least trusted people,” said the study’s lead author, Will M. Gervais, a doctoral student at the University of British Columbia,

In six separate studies, the researchers asked 770 people – American adults and Canadian college students – a number of questions. In one study, when presented with a description of an untrustworthy person, participants said they believed that description represented atheists to a similar degree and wasn’t as representative of gays, feminists, Christians, Jews or Muslims.

Another co-author, the University of British Columbia’s Ara Norenzayan, said one of the reasons for doing the study was a recent poll that found that only 45 percent of Americans who responded would vote for an atheist presidential candidate. Those who were polled said atheists least represented their vision of America.

Atheists also tend to trust religious people more than they trust other atheists.

“Those people who did not identify with a religion still tended to find believers to be more trustworthy,” said the third co-author, Azim Shariff of the University of Oregon.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Distrust and fear go hand in hand and with them, bigotry - as your polls clearly indicated. Am I supposed to kow-tow to these mainstream prejudices and biases? It may be well and good for you, but not for me. I am an independent voter. I vote for whomever I feel most qualified and I don't greatly care about their denomination or ethnicity - unless they use and abuse it to garner unwarranted public respect. I don't speak for the others you mention, but I do not believe in religion, dogma, and doctrine, and the organizations that tell people they must commune THEIR way (at 10% gross or net) or get the Hell out. Be that as it may, you've confused me with being an atheist, but I am agnostic. I am well aware of the chasm that yawns between religion and spirituality and you are greatly mistaken in believing that because I am not all about orating my philosophies (or an adopted set, either) for all the world to murmur about, you think I do not believe in anything at all. Harm none, be the uncarved block, treat thy neighbor as thyself.
Well , distrust of Atheists is not limited to believers . polls show that Atheists trust believers more than they do Atheists.
I find that simply amazing.
I must conclude that there is something inherent in Atheism that causes those who practice it not to trust those who practice it.
That is odd

Religious Believers Don’t Trust Atheists, Says New Study

By Kim Carollo

If an atheist ran for president, a recent poll suggests, he or she wouldn’t win many votes.

That might be at least partly because of the main reason religious people dislike atheists: They think nonbelievers can’t be trusted, according to a new study.

“Where there are religious majorities — that is, in most of the world — atheists are among the least trusted people,” said the study’s lead author, Will M. Gervais, a doctoral student at the University of British Columbia, in a press release from the University of Oregon, where a co-author is an assistant professor. The research was published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

In six separate studies, the researchers asked 770 people – American adults and Canadian college students – a number of questions. In one study, when presented with a description of an untrustworthy person, participants said they believed that description represented atheists to a similar degree and wasn’t as representative of gays, feminists, Christians, Jews or Muslims.

Another co-author, the University of British Columbia’s Ara Norenzayan, said one of the reasons for doing the study was a recent poll that found that only 45 percent of Americans who responded would vote for an atheist presidential candidate. Those who were polled said atheists least represented their vision of America.

“Outward displays of belief in God may be viewed as a proxy for trustworthiness, particularly by religious believers who think that people behave better if they feel that God is watching them,” Norenzayan said in the news release.“While atheists may see their disbelief as a private matter on a metaphysical issue, believers may consider atheists’ absence of belief as a public threat to cooperation and honesty.”

Atheists also tend to trust religious people more than they trust other atheists.

“Those people who did not identify with a religion still tended to find believers to be more trustworthy,” said the third co-author, Azim Shariff of the University of Oregon.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, watch and learn.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason to believe things will change over the next 10 years. The study clearly shows that Americans are in total disagreement with what Atheism represents.
Wait, watch and learn.

Well witchetty ,It seems that you are in need of learning.
Obviously you do not know how Atheists feel about other Atheists.

Polls show that Atheists trust believers more than they do other Atheists.
That is incredible.
In other words ,Atheists know something about their beliefs that causes them not to trust each other.
Why is that?

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The distrust of Atheists is not limited to believers.
Polls indicate that Nonbelievers trust believers more that they do Nonbelievers.
Religion is the best business model in the world. Where else can you sell faith. Religion guarantees life after death, a sort of "death insurance".

So far religion has been 100% successful, in that no one who has died has come back and claimed FRAUD on their guaranteed death insurance.... what a smart business tactic! promising things to people after they die...

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Start Your Own Religion, in Four Easy Steps
A fisherman could do it; why can’t you?

Where To Begin: Ideas for Starting a New Religion

Even if you are less than creative, there is always the original idea of starting your own religion by deriving it from a preexisting one. Try creating a new Christian sect. For example, Christians for Satan, Satanists for Jesus, Satanist Christians for Brian Boitano, etc.. The possibilities are endless.

http://www.the-fed.org/articles/volume17/issu...

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

What I find amazing is how easily someone like you Curious can be conditioned.
You post all these studies that allegedly is true, yet where is the proof... Six studies, hundreds of people but nothing to back up their statements.

What questions were asked, and how were those questions presented to those hundreds of people.

At what point did the people conducting such studies present the religion of those in question to the hundreds of participants?

Hey Curious,,,, Pigs fly!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Might I make a suggestion?
Since you ,Duquette , Q , Witchetty ,Spacedout, Lodi and others feel so strongly about your opinions ,why don't you get involved politically and run an Atheist for national office instead of wasting your time posting nonsense on Topix.
On the other hand , since your views are so diametrically opposed to the majority of Americans , your candidate would be soundly trounced.
All studies indicate that Atheists are the most distrusted group in america , bar none.
The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry." The results from two of the most important questions were:
This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...
Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%
I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....
Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%
Theists don't trust non theists, so shit? Call the news stations.
We are very familiar with your hate. It is all based upon dogma that builds hate for outside groups.
Far from the loving rhetoric religion claims.

Did you have a point with this crap besides proving how you hate?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real Duquette.
(wah wah wah, we po'...plz send us all your states federal tax dolluhs, plus a few others AND now, yew private sector payrolls and don't be picking at us!)
UNREAL.
Absolutely nothing to do with anything we were discussing. Divert when you got nothing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
and for once, would you please supply a rational reference and reason,80 as to your benign OVER usage of the H word?
Thank you.
Stop saying hypocritical things and I will stop using the word to describe it. Tic.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
They are more disliked now than they were 30 years ago.
Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It's not just that atheists are disliked, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.
Lead researcher Penny Edgell said that she was surprised by this: "We thought that in the wake of 9/11, people would target Muslims. Frankly, we expected atheists to be a throwaway group." Nevertheless, the numbers are so extreme that she was led to conclude that they are "a glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." It's not that bigotry and discrimination against Muslims is appropriate, but at least it's not hard to understand where such attitudes would come from.
Every group except atheists is being shown much greater tolerance and acceptance than 30 years ago. "Our analysis shows that attitudes about atheists have not followed the same historical pattern as that for previously marginalized religious groups. It is possible that the increasing tolerance for religious diversity may have heightened awareness of religion itself as the basis for solidarity in American life and sharpened the boundary between believers and nonbelievers in our collective imagination."
So your kind is intolerant, bigoted, and prejudiced towards atheists? These are the words of your cut and paste. Yes we are well aware of how wrong you are to atheists.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm no...obl didn't seem quite as delusional.
Thanks for proving my predictions correct. So Obama is worse than the terrorist that had three thousand Americans murdered? Talk about delusion.
Typical tea party republican propaganda.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
O'Rielly sounds even MORE logical to me now-especially since it looks like this opotus is determined to absolutely drain the givverment AND health care providers now as well.
I knows of a statue in Manhatten fo'sale...fo' the general public the opening bid is 10 mil. Fo'yo...1 mil.... Cause o' some of dem dare "speshull discounts" wink wink....
----------
Thus, the national debt has increased by $6.1 trillion under Obama — the largest increase to date under any president and a reflection in part of the deep recession early in his first term. The next-highest was the $4.9 trillion added to the debt during the eight-year presidency of George W. Bush.
Did you cut and paste this from Fox News propaganda?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 108,641 - 108,660 of122,639
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min limburger cheese sweety 138,517
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 12 min Ancient Wolf 81,195
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 26 min redeemer 25,971
Shawntaea Hughes (Jan '09) 30 min Posh 45
Larry dye and Amy dye 36 min haha 18
Who remembers Mary Francis (Jan '13) 38 min Truth 24
can u apply for food stamps online 44 min gator 31
Eight arrested in Knox drug roundup... 1 hr holland 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••