Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,163

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113775 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"Known fact"(ironic) is clearly avoiding a direct answer. I assume this is due to his innate understanding of how wrong this is to do.
What is mind boggling is how certain "sins" these churches view as unforgivable.
How could excommunication be a moral solution?
Perfect example of how religion closes the mind to questioning the morality of their dogma.
I cannot keep from sneering at the suggestion that dogma.

And morality can coexist in the same sentence.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#113776 Sep 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot keep from sneering at the suggestion that dogma.
And morality can coexist in the same sentence.
My main point all along on this thread; the bible and all religious texts and dogma are not by definition, the absolute authority on morality. It closes the mind to questioning the morality as it does with all its claims. It demands absolute blind faith to the claims of morality. It claims those who question the authority will be punished.
It is clearly a tool for the powers of government or other men of power over the people. It silences the opposition. It is a tool of a dictatorship.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113777 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You deserve a foul mouth once in a while due to your foul posts. You are a jerk but that word is to soft to describe how you actually are.
A fool calls people fools for simply not believing your insane story. But again, fool does not cut it. You are a giant asshole. I stand by my words.
Such rudeness , such anger ,such vitriol.
You have become uncorked , like a whiskey jug AT AN ALCOHOLICS GATHERING.
Stand by whatever you wanna stand.
If you wanna stand by Giant a holes you have many in your community to choose from.......
No wonder that Topix banned you from posting under your other monikers. LOL

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113778 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>My main point all along on this thread; the bible and all religious texts and dogma are not by definition, the absolute authority on morality. It closes the mind to questioning the morality as it does with all its claims. It demands absolute blind faith to the claims of morality. It claims those who question the authority will be punished.
It is clearly a tool for the powers of government or other men of power over the people. It silences the opposition. It is a tool of a dictatorship.
Agreed, and there is no shortage of rubes who are ready, willing and able to be mindless dolts and minions.
To any who are willing to be honest with themselves and others, it is obvious that the dogmas and doctrines of religion are false - perhaps less at their origins, but with absolute certainty and absurdity after being augmented by the bulwarks and bollocks of theist authorities, councils, and "scholars." Blind faith is nothing but stark raving fear slathered with a generous veneer of fools' gold grandeur.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113779 Sep 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, and there is no shortage of rubes who are ready, willing and able to be mindless dolts and minions.
To any who are willing to be honest with themselves and others, it is obvious that the dogmas and doctrines of religion are false - perhaps less at their origins, but with absolute certainty and absurdity after being augmented by the bulwarks and bollocks of theist authorities, councils, and "scholars." Blind faith is nothing but stark raving fear slathered with a generous veneer of fools' gold grandeur.
Might I make a suggestion?
Since you ,Duquette , Q , Witchetty ,Spacedout, Lodi and others feel so strongly about your opinions ,why don't you get involved politically and run an Atheist for national office instead of wasting your time posting nonsense on Topix.
On the other hand , since your views are so diametrically opposed to the majority of Americans , your candidate would be soundly trounced.
All studies indicate that Atheists are the most distrusted group in america , bar none.
The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry." The results from two of the most important questions were:

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...
Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....
Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#113780 Sep 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Be kind, WitW. The hell of addiction takes no imagination - whether it's addiction to drugs or religion.
He HAS to believe in the Christ superhuman mythos or the bad things that lurk outside his hut at night will steal his soul while he dreams.
Awww, my bad. You are right.
He is compelled by his self to be an idiot.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#113781 Sep 30, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Might I make a suggestion?
Since you ,Duquette , Q , Witchetty ,Spacedout, Lodi and others feel so strongly about your opinions ,why don't you get involved politically and run an Atheist for national office instead of wasting your time posting nonsense on Topix.
On the other hand , since your views are so diametrically opposed to the majority of Americans , your candidate would be soundly trounced.
All studies indicate that Atheists are the most distrusted group in america , bar none.
The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry." The results from two of the most important questions were:
This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society...
Atheist: 39.6%
Muslims: 26.3%
Homosexuals: 22.6%
Hispanics: 20%
Conservative Christians: 13.5%
Recent Immigrants: 12.5%
Jews: 7.6%
I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group....
Atheist: 47.6%
Muslim: 33.5%
African-American 27.2%
Asian-Americans: 18.5%
Hispanics: 18.5%
Jews: 11.8%
Conservative Christians: 6.9%
Whites: 2.3%
Watch these numbers change over the next 10 years.

Atheists are becoming more vocal and more active in our communities.

Like any minority group, we have to educate the public so that they don't fear what they don't understand.

Btw, MY answer to both of those questions would be "fundamental Christians."
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113782 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I call hypocrite when you are contradicting something you said. Of course you do not have enough sense to compute this, and just think I am saying it for no reason.
Try not being such a dick.
Common sense is a misnomer.
Get real Duquette.

(wah wah wah, we po'...plz send us all your states federal tax dolluhs, plus a few others AND now, yew private sector payrolls and don't be picking at us!)

UNREAL.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113783 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Hypocrite seems so appropriate when you contradict what you say. Can you think of a better word? Sorry I do not have sentence long name calling tangents like yourself that have no actual application to the subject.
Common sense is a misnomer.
and for once, would you please supply a rational reference and reason,80 as to your benign OVER usage of the H word?

Thank you.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113784 Sep 30, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch these numbers change over the next 10 years.
Atheists are becoming more vocal and more active in our communities.
Like any minority group, we have to educate the public so that they don't fear what they don't understand.
Btw, MY answer to both of those questions would be "fundamental Christians."
There is no reason to believe things will change over the next 10 years. The study clearly shows that Americans are in total disagreement with what Atheism represents.
They are more disliked now than they were 30 years ago.

Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It's not just that atheists are disliked, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.

Lead researcher Penny Edgell said that she was surprised by this: "We thought that in the wake of 9/11, people would target Muslims. Frankly, we expected atheists to be a throwaway group." Nevertheless, the numbers are so extreme that she was led to conclude that they are "a glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." It's not that bigotry and discrimination against Muslims is appropriate, but at least it's not hard to understand where such attitudes would come from.

Every group except atheists is being shown much greater tolerance and acceptance than 30 years ago. "Our analysis shows that attitudes about atheists have not followed the same historical pattern as that for previously marginalized religious groups. It is possible that the increasing tolerance for religious diversity may have heightened awareness of religion itself as the basis for solidarity in American life and sharpened the boundary between believers and nonbelievers in our collective imagination."
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113785 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go, the typical tea party republican comparing Obama to hitler. Next you will be comparing him to Osama like fellow theist/republican YaA.
Fanatics.
Umm no...obl didn't seem quite as delusional.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113786 Sep 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Over a decade? You mean he changed his affiliation? Likely due to being called out for lying about it.
Bill's opinion is a republican opinion. He patted Bush on the back for every move he made. He pushed the agenda for war in Iraq. He pushed the agenda for the patriot act.
At least Msnbc people complain Obama does not repeal it. Msnbc is liberal, but they don't cover for Obama on every move as fix did for Bush.
O'Rielly sounds even MORE logical to me now-especially since it looks like this opotus is determined to absolutely drain the givverment AND health care providers now as well.

I knows of a statue in Manhatten fo'sale...fo' the general public the opening bid is 10 mil. Fo'yo...1 mil.... Cause o' some of dem dare "speshull discounts" wink wink....
----------
Thus, the national debt has increased by $6.1 trillion under Obama the largest increase to date under any president and a reflection in part of the deep recession early in his first term. The next-highest was the $4.9 trillion added to the debt during the eight-year presidency of George W. Bush.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113787 Sep 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
Any Christ follower can make Holy water...
You Bless it!
Fact is...
Nothing is said about Holy water in the KJV...
Oil? That's another thing!
Good day to ya :-)
You know what YaA, it was very nice to read you say that...for some very special reasons..thank you...you made my day!!:-)
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113788 Sep 30, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>We're the jerks?
Do you even know what the word Hypocrite means?
I think he just likes to sling that word around--because it's one of the longer ones in his vocabulary maybe?

Duquette?

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#113789 Sep 30, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he just likes to sling that word around--because it's one of the longer ones in his vocabulary maybe?
Duquette?

If anyone is bliss to the definition of hypocrite, It's you.
If anyone is bliss to the correct application of words in a sentence; Again, It's you. Ignorance is indeed Bliss!

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#113790 Sep 30, 2013
Atheists Taxed For Not Going To Church?(Oh My God!)

Roseville, CA

#113791 Sep 30, 2013
An Atheist Destroyed Hannity

Roseville, CA

#113792 Sep 30, 2013
Are religious Americans really this stupid?

stuckinalodi

Manchester, KY

#113793 Sep 30, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone is bliss to the definition of hypocrite, It's you.
If anyone is bliss to the correct application of words in a sentence; Again, It's you. Ignorance is indeed Bliss!
And stuckinalodi is a perfect example of it

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#113794 Sep 30, 2013
stuckinalodi wrote:
<quoted text>
And stuckinalodi is a perfect example of it
You do realize imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Alright y then!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 1 hr crazy 227
teena Marie mills 2 hr infoman 9
Cody Carnes 2 hr Proof 7
Emily Collins 4 hr john 3
where the heck is brandon brayson? (Apr '11) 6 hr truth 7
jason hughes 6 hr whoa 12
Linda Darlene Doolin (Jan '09) 6 hr barberette5657 3
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 8 hr Just a fact 22
praying it's all a lie Thu Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52