Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#112537 Sep 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't... They are Written long after the time... They would validate it if they had maybe scribbled a note on a wall, pot, clay tablet when he walked on water that made note of such a miraculous event when it happened... To write down "There Once was this guy that walked on water" 100 years later does not validate anything...
How do you know they didn't fashion some sort of water ski type "shoes" out of reeds back then?

You don't, so there.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112538 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Being a manner of a group that is the head of things......it's polytheism. Is it really such a bad word?
I worship God the Father and Jesus the Christ. I have no problem with you calling it polytheism. It does not change what I do in the least.

Location hidden

#112539 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I get that you "feel" the book says something in it that proves me wrong, but I note you can't pinpoint it.
Which part do you wish me to prove wrong, in specific?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112540 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
They were convinced at the time,(they even built an altar to Him along the way) but not being in God's presence, once hardship hit, they abandoned Him quickly. That's why I call them weak.
So humans are weak. Does it justify murder? Not in my moral opinion.

You keep insisting their is only one possibility to this situation. When their are always more than one possibility to a situation. Thus you sound unreasonable and irrational.

One possibility is, the persons in question were not so into the whole building of the alter to god in the instance you cited. They were just a few out of huge group, or so the claim is. It is a possibility they were just following the group, as this is what humans typically do. So when the Moses seemingly abandoned them, they abandoned the ideas he pushed on them. They went back to the god they believed in before.

Take the outsiders test on this. Imagine you were raised a Christian and then converted for some reason to Islam. Then you realized Islam might not be the true religion. So you go back to Christianity. Now would it be a capital punishment crime for your flip flop of beliefs? Of course not, as that would be a seriously immoral punishment.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112541 Sep 6, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
What's up Duquette?
Peace, not lunaTic war!
What? Can you ever articulate a full thought? Or maybe this shows the tiny extent of your thoughts?

Am I for lunatic war? Is this your question? The answer is no. This is why I keep pointing to Iraq as an example. But you keep defending that war, so I assume you are pro-lunatic war.

Location hidden

#112542 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I get that you "feel" the book says something in it that proves me wrong, but I note you can't pinpoint it.
Matthew 7:21
John 3:5

These are just a couple. There are many more that teach us what is necessary for entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112543 Sep 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Where or what is your proof?
You have absolutely no idea what you are saying! Did you know the Apostle Luke was a doctor and the Apostle Paul was an attorney? Moses was a leader of some 3 million Israelites? David and Solomon were kings and many were prophets who stated accurate prophecy into the future even down to our day!
Those who took the ideas of superstition and used it for power and wrote the rules, are not necessarily the ones who imagined the concept originally.

Location hidden

#112544 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again the more likely truth is, no one actually witnessed the claimed miracles.
Yes, capital punishment is harsh for worship. Just as Muslims are wrong for doing it to Christians. Well I guess that are just following the lead of Moses. Humans learn by example. Tell your god that.
Good thing Jesus was sent to bring back the higher law and set the example for us.

Location hidden

#112545 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No gods use any terminology. Gods do not exist.
Didn't think you could. Therefore your justification for offending others is weak at best.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112546 Sep 6, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No, but...
Making the rest of us pay taxes, and Not giving us the vouchers to send our children to better schools is un-fare!
Government shouldn't even be in the Public school business, as
we see how they muck everything up they touch!
Render unto Caesar, A-hole. You are part of a larger society - deal with it.
How about vouchers to pay for your own Jesus police, vouchers to build your own private religie roads and vouchers to pay your tax deductible tithes? How about we trash and burn the reference section from the libraries and restock them with vouchers for the local Christian bookstores? Ya babbling Faux brained twit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112547 Sep 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
THE PROPHET JEREMIAH
Why could Jeremiah be confident that what he prophesied would occur?(Jer. 1:17; 7:30; 9:22) He was a man of faith who had studied the Scriptures and knew that Jehovah is the God of true prophecy. History testified to Jehovah’s ability to foretell events that seemed impossible from a human standpoint, such as the liberation of Israel from bondage in Egypt. Jeremiah was familiar with the Exodus account and with the words of one eyewitness. Joshua had reminded fellow Israelites:“You well know with all your hearts and with all your souls that not one word out of all the good words that Jehovah your God has spoken to you has failed. They have all come true for you. Not one word of them has failed.”—Josh. 23:14.
Why should you continue to give attention to the prophecies Jeremiah presented? First, because he had justifiable confidence in the reliability of Jehovah’s words. Second, because some of God’s pronouncements through Jeremiah are now being fulfilled, and you will yet see the fulfillment of others. Third, because the sheer number of announcements that Jeremiah made in God’s name, as well as the vigor with which he made them, marked him as an extraordinary servant of God.“Even in the company of the prophets, Jeremiah towers as a giant,” notes one scholar. Jeremiah was recognized as such a powerful figure in God’s dealings with His people that when Jesus was speaking, some who heard him believed that he must be Jeremiah.—Matt. 16:13, 14.
Like Jeremiah, you live at a time when crucial Bible prophecies are being fulfilled. And like Jeremiah, you need to maintain confidence in the truthfulness of God’s promises.(2 Pet. 3:9-14) How can you do that? By continuing to build your trust in the absolute reliability of God’s prophetic Word.
THIS IS NOT BASED ON BLIND FAITH!
Got any words or your own? I did not read this, and will not read your cut and paste unless it is used as evidence to a claim.

Location hidden

#112548 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Justify choosing a god.
Maybe they did not know a god delivered them. Maybe they thought they did it on their own. Clearly they did as they did not believe the whole story Moses was selling. You keep blindly assuming the miracles claimed, actually happened. Now think like an outsider for a moment and understand the possibility your story book has a few embellishments.

And let's say they were not justified. It still is not a crime to worship golden calves. Well unless you make unjust laws. You know, like evil dictators.
Worshiping a golden calf does not warrant the punishment of death.
They knew, Moses made it clear where his power came from, to the Egyptians and the Hebrews. They even stopped to build an altar in the sea bed while crossing to thank Him.

God made the law for those people not to worship idols or anything other than Him. They weren't in America. You keep forgetting that. There were no national, or even state laws they were governed by. Only God's laws.

Location hidden

#112549 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I do take the outsiders test. It is why I am atheist.
Now if you could only show where I need testing? What logic do I defy? What standards do I hold that are double? What inconsistencies have I shown? Where have I failed to look for evidence? What philosophy of mine is flawed? What do I contradict?

You have shown zero evidence for the beliefs you hold. Thus it is blind.

You evidently do not even know the meaning of blind faith.
The outsiders test for you would be to seek God, have faith in Him. Vow to abandon your current lifestyle if He makes Himself known to you, and then seek Him with all your heart. Humble yourself and try it. I'm not talking about repeating what Lt Dan did in F. Gump.
But truly seek Him and really repent and Change once you find Him. He knows your heart so he will only answer if you are sincere.

Go beyond that which you know now

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112550 Sep 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You took your outsiders test and concluded there is no God.
I , on the other hand took God's test and based on His many positive responses God convinced me of his existence.
No more need be said.
The difference is, I still take the test. I take it all the time. I do not think you ever took the test. You even claimed it was of the devil. So I have evidence you likely did not take the test.
I have little doubt you were anything but a Christian. You were likely raised (brainwashed) a Christian from birth. You were likely told daily by those you trusted that god was real. I doubt you ever had a single doubt. You had no room for a test in your faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112551 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is a book about our Father in Heaven and the dealings of a group of people with Him. Keep the context in mind. Do you really think the God that created us approves freedom of religion? I hope you don't think this. So why would you expect His prophet to be cool with them worshipping something they created instead of the God that created them and delivered them recently from bondage? This wasn't America. There was no democracy there.
You seem to fail the outsider test here because you can't fathom that if there is a creator, He might get mad if you worship a statue of something else.
I get the concept, I just disagree it is a moral concept. It is certainly against the American ideals. It is in perfect harmony with a dictatorship and a theocracy. I do not think these ways of government are moral.
What seems unlikely is, their is a god, but the god is immoral. So I put moral tests upon claims of gods. Yours fails the test on a regular basis.

Yes a god might wish to be known and recognized as a creator. But if this is the case, then the moral thing to do would be present himself to all. But your god hides. Only claims of a god are present. Only claims from men.
It is not moral to hide and expect belief.

I see America's ideal of freedom of religion as the moral way. You evidently do not.

If you chose to worship a murderer of those who worship freely, so be it. Happily, you cannot carry out orders of murder for your god, legally, as it once was.

You see, mankind has made laws that are more moral than your supposed god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112552 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is a book about our Father in Heaven and the dealings of a group of people with Him. Keep the context in mind. Do you really think the God that created us approves freedom of religion? I hope you don't think this. So why would you expect His prophet to be cool with them worshipping something they created instead of the God that created them and delivered them recently from bondage? This wasn't America. There was no democracy there.
You seem to fail the outsider test here because you can't fathom that if there is a creator, He might get mad if you worship a statue of something else.
I see the bible as a book about a group of people who are lead to believe a god exists. It is a book that tells of leaders who murder the non believers.

Maybe think of the book like this for a moment.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112553 Sep 6, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> I actually don't have a problem with the Pledge being said in school. I deem the Pledge more along the lines of Patriotism or a Patriotic Poem rather than that of a Prayer. You are pledging allegiance to the flag,,,, not a god.
Patriotism can be as dangerous as religion. And demanding kids chant the pledge is only for brainwashing patriotism. It is not showing the merits of our country. And adding god to the equation only shows the lack of understanding of our Constitution and its secularism.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#112554 Sep 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"You cannot have a rational, logical debate with a irrational, illogical person"
Thanks for just verifying my quote....
If we are to discuss the irrational and illogical let us begin with the following;
The Universe , all therein including life as we know it could not have been created by a super intelligence well beyond our abilities to comprehend .
It could only have been created by accidental means.

Because we are unable to identify this supernatural power by using natural means , we therefore must conclude that;
Nothing created something from nothing.
Once this something was created from nothing it was able to acquire intelligence and life by some unexplainable means.
The non intelligent created intelligence..
The non living created life.
How this happened can not be explained other than to say that over a period of billions of years , it did occur.
Oddly enough , mankind , alive and intelligent is unable to duplicate that which nonintelligence and the non living was able to accomplish.
In effect , the nonliving and non intelligent are superior and can accomplish more that the living and intelligent.
Once you accept that nonsense as being factual , then you can build further nonsense on top of that fallacious foundation in order to deny God's existence.
One can complain about the validity of what may have been written
about Jesus a hundred years after his death based on reports attributed to his apostles and yet accept as factual unconfirmed and unwitnessed events that supposedly occured billions of years ago in an unknown place , an unknown time for which NO evidence of any sort can be provided.
I am not buying into this nonsense that a chicken can turn into a dinosaur or that I am a monkeys uncle.
Only thing I have in common with monkeys is that we both like bananas and like to climb trees.
Roscoe

Cincinnati, OH

#112555 Sep 6, 2013
There is only one rule of Bible study - thou shalt NOT question the Bible!

(No matter how horrible it is or self-contradictory).
Roscoe

Cincinnati, OH

#112556 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I see the bible as a book about a group of people who are lead to believe a god exists. It is a book that tells of leaders who murder the non believers.
Maybe think of the book like this for a moment.
No fair - you must have actually READ it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any info on the bad wreck on 25e near bar. 2 hr friend 12
Fed up! 4 hr Duh 21
Keep deleting 4 hr Funny 15
WHo is the most unfit mother in Bville? (Dec '09) 5 hr Wonder 63
Hello Gray, Kentucky 5 hr Franklin 20
Check drawers 7 hr True Anon 22
Amy mills (Jun '14) 7 hr ya mama 7
Where's Arthur Vaughn? 7 hr AJR 16
state police 8 hr Elizabeth 17
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder (May '14) 11 hr singin in the pain 441
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]