Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 143061 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#112309 Sep 3, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
The claim is the russian Onyx SS-N-25 asm is a unstoppable missle. Has any read about any counter measures on this new weapon?
Is Obama Administration Preparing To Sacrifice 4 US Navy Destroyers to Start War With Syria?
Monday, August 26, 2013 21:28
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/08/...
Sure sounds like it--got Kerry and McCain buying into the thug propoganda pretty good.

SANCTION-SANCTION-SANCTION-EVE RYTHING and anything on any country that provides any thing to Syria.

Call them ALL to the diplomatic "tables of PEACE" FIRST.

NO MORE BOOTs (already on boats!)!

"Bring the Troops Home"-to America!!!!!!!!!!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112310 Sep 3, 2013
Knock knock
Who's there?
Jesus, now let me in.
Why?
Because I need to save you.
Save me from what?
Save you from what I am going to do to you if you do not let me in.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#112311 Sep 3, 2013
INSIDE EDITION Investigates TV Ministers' Lifestyles
Airdate: 05/24/2011
They are some of the most popular TV preachers in the country, packing their mega churches each week and taking in millions every year. They urge the faithful followers to donate generously and in return the Lord will bring them prosperity.

There's no denying some people have prospered handsomelyŚthe pastors themselves. They live like rock stars with huge mansions, private jets, and fancy cars. Their lifestyles are so lavish, six of them have been investigated by the U.S. Senate.

One preacher, Paula White, lives in multimillion dollar homes in New York City and Tampa, Florida. And another preacher, Creflo Dollar, gets around in style, flying in private jets to preach around the country. He owns a mansion in an exclusive Atlanta suburb.

Not one of them would would sit down for an interview about their opulent lifestyle so INSIDE EDITION's Lisa Guerrero caught up with Creflo Dollar at an event in New York City. She asked him, "How do you justify your million dollar mansions and private jets to your donors?" Dollar had no comment.

But when it comes to opulence, few religious leaders compare to Kenneth Copeland. He lives in an 18,000 square foot home outside Ft. Worth, Texas worth $6 million. It has beautiful water views that comes complete with a boat house. But that's not all.

Copeland is an avid pilot, and his pride and joy is a $20 million Cessna Citation jet. It's the fastest private jet money can buy. He said he needed it to better serve the Lord, and proudly did a fly by for his followers after the church bought it.

But that's not the only plane used by the church. We found a fleet of planes registered to the church. And you won't catch him waiting in line at the airport, because he's got his own. The Kenneth Copeland Airport is located right next to his mansion.

"I think Copeland is unbelievably greedy", said Ole Anthony of the Trinity Foundation, a church watchdog group that worked with the Senate Committee investigating Copeland and other TV preachers..
"Televangelism is a $2 to $3 billion industry, untaxed, unregulated," said Anthony.

That's rightŚby law, religious groups like Copeland's are exempt from federal taxes, and they don't have to report how they spend their money to anyone.

Copeland and his church takes in tens of millions a year, through donations and selling books and DVD's to his donors.
Continued:
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#112312 Sep 3, 2013
Continued: Inside Edition Investigates TV Ministers

When Kristi Parker's mother died of cancer, she said she found diaries that showed her mother sent Copeland most of her life's savings, hoping her faith and donations would heal her deadly disease.

"She sent them a lot of money, a whole lot of money", said Parker.

Guerrero asked Parker, "What do you think of Kenneth Copeland's lifestyle?"

"TV doesn't do it justice. Their office furniture is probably worth more than most people's houses. It make you sick." said Parker.

Copeland, like the other preachers investigated by the Senate, refused INSIDE EDITION's request for an interview, so we caught up with him at an event in North Carolina.

Guerrero asked, "Can you explain to us why you are living such a lifestyle of luxury off of church donations?"

An assistant to Copeland said, "We don't have any time for this," and tried to usher Copeland away. At the same time a hotel employee tried to block our camera.

Guerrero continued to try to get answers from Copeland.
"Why won't you answer any of our questions? It's a simple questions, sir," said Guerrero.

Copeland then agreed to chat and said, "I'm going to give you a simple answer. My life follows scripture. We've never asked anyone for money. We give. We believe we're open."

Guerrero then asked, "Sir, you have a fleet of private jets. Why is that necessary? How many jets do you have?"

Copeland answered, "That's none of your business."

Right after that he walked away.

Copeland told INSIDE EDITION that he cooperated with the Senate investigation, but the committee disagreed and said Copeland refused to provide the information it requested for its investigation. According to the committee, only two of the preachers didŚJoyce Meyer and Benny Hinn. The committee recommended that the IRS look further into the matter.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112313 Sep 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can talk about it. But I don't try to tell a group of scientists what science has discovered, or try to explain theories to them.
Sure I think satan had influence in the confusion in scripture. What better way to steal souls than to divide and conquer within believers by convoluting doctrine?
That's not irrational. We know satan hates us and wants to drag us down with him.
God lets us choose. He explains the consequences of our actions and then lets us choose. I do that with my children. Does that make me a wussy?
You can't know a devil hates you, no more than you can know a devil exists. You simply have blind faith that the part of the bible that tells you the devil hates you is the word of god. Or is that the part influenced by the devil?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#112315 Sep 3, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
The 2nd Coming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fMM8KMBNNDwXX
The link you posted pertaining to Sam Kennison may appeal to you and others of your persuasion.

Here are some facts about Sam Kennison's lifestyle that you may find to your liking.
He was a preacher. After a failed marriage he abandoned preaching in order to fulfill his dream of becoming a comedian.
Among his accomplishments in his new carrer and lifestyle he managed to offend many women and those with AIDS ,for which he received several death threats.

He became addicted to Alcohol and drugs.
On one of his drinking binges , he and his girlfriend picked up a stranger and brought him to their house.
While Sam lay drunk in an adjacent room ,the stranger raped his girlfriend repeatedly.

Sam Kinnison also had an affair with his best friend's wife.
She became pregnant and had a daughter by him.
Not aware of these events, his friend paid child support for 13 years before Sam's misdeeds came to light.
Sam was held in high esteem by the likes of George Carlin ,Rodney Dangerfield and Howard Stern.

It seems to me that rather than being admired , Sam Kinnison is to be pitied.
One has to wonder , If he had to make those choices again , knowing the consecuences of his actions ,would he have changed careers .
Preaching the word is by far a better choice than a life of debauchery

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112316 Sep 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can talk about it. But I don't try to tell a group of scientists what science has discovered, or try to explain theories to them.
Sure I think satan had influence in the confusion in scripture. What better way to steal souls than to divide and conquer within believers by convoluting doctrine?
That's not irrational. We know satan hates us and wants to drag us down with him.
God lets us choose. He explains the consequences of our actions and then lets us choose. I do that with my children. Does that make me a wussy?
Do you threaten your kids with burning in a lake of fire?

And no one said the devil trying to muck up the bible was irrational. What was said was, god not being able to keep the devils hands off the bible is irrational if he is all powerful. But nice diversion.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112317 Sep 3, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see the case that you attempted to show evidence that the Holy Spirit talk about in the bible is a person. I know that the bible personifies the Holy Spirit to make the case for the trinity or because it is a gift or power being given one so therefore is rendered uppercase. See how spirit is use in this case, one spirit is evil and small caps and other spirit is good in uppercase.

1 Corinthians 2:12

What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. See how the word spirit can be personified without claiming it is a person.

What is freely given is a gift or power to understand God. The word spirit can be translated either in Caps or no Caps depending on the scholars theology and beliefs. It is subjective and not emphatic enough to claim that the Holy Spirit is a person.

4151 pne├║ma ┬ľ properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath. The most frequent meaning (translation) of 4151 (pne├║ma) in the NT is "spirit" ("Spirit"). Only the context however determines which sense(s) is meant.

[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pne├║ma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pne├║ma).
http://biblesuite.com/greek/4151.htm

The biblical evidence of no flesh in heaven is very emphatic. Can you show evidence that will contradict the following?

1 Corinthians 15:50
What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

Flesh and bones living in Heaven please show biblical evidence that supports that claim.
The Holy Ghost is a spirit, not a person.
Sorry if I misled.

Yes there are many scriptural references to the resurrection.

Matthew 22:23
Matthew 22:28
Matthew 22:30-31
Matthew 27:53
Mark 12:18
Mark 12:23
The list goes on. The word appears 40 times in the New Testament.

Most importantly, we know Christ's body is with Him because He had the apostles feel his wounds. And we know He is in Heaven. So the meaning of the scripture is that body alone cannot enter Heaven. Only the resurrected and glorified body can enter Heaven.

Location hidden

#112318 Sep 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you linking me to Mormon Apologetics?
To show that there is some evidence in favor of the very evidence you claim does not exist.

Location hidden

#112319 Sep 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my god, dude. I read through that article. It is a tour-de-force of apologetics. The author makes so many acrobatic mental maneouvers my head is spinning.

He mentions some kind of altar with "NHM" on it in the Old World. Then leads to the possibility that this is in reference to "Nahom" (whatever that is). I assume that's something from the BoM. But why on earth would you make that leap? It is a vague, and very weak idea. And if this is the best you have you are truly desperate.

I also strongly question some of the things this guy says as being factual. I will have to give this a once-over because it reeks of crazy.

In my spare time, that is. And I do NOT have much spare time to debunk Mormon crazy.
Keep reading. There is much more. That's only one site.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112320 Sep 3, 2013
tema wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you have any facts that will support your opinion.
If you do, then you neglected to provide whatever evidence you have at your disposal.
Opinions that are not supported by facts or based on personal experiences should be accepted for what they are , opinions and nothing else.
Yes, just as with every claim the religious make on this thread. It was my opinion and it cannot be proved wrong.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#112321 Sep 3, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you do me a favor I would like to ask you to answer 4 questions can you answer truthfully.
1. Are you disfellowshipped from Jehovah's Witnesses?
2. Are you an apostate.
3. Why are you so opposed to Jehovah's Witnesses?
4. Are you a member of one of the religions that are a part of Babylon the Great
Trying to change the topic i see. Here is some information for the public to read. To appease your need to accuse all who post things how JW's commit crimes you suspect to be former JW's and apostates. I gladly present this JW whos articles you have read in past Awake magazines.

Barbara Anderson was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses from 1954 to 1997. She worked at Watchtower's headquarters in Brooklyn, NY, from 1982 to 1992 where during her last three years there, she researched the movement's official history (published in 1993) and did research as well as wrote a number of articles for their Awake! magazine.

She has done extensive research on issues related to child sexual abuse in the religion leading to interviews on major TV and radio programs as an outspoken critic of Jehovah's Witnesses sexual abuse policies.

In my home congregation there was an elder who confessed to molesting the daughter of a Witness. Removed as an elder because of the commotion made when the non-Witness father of the child notified the police, within a few years the molester was maneuvering to have oversight privileges in the congregation once again.

He had convinced the elders he was repentant, although there was evidence he was using the house-to-house ministry program to meet and study the Bible with single women with children, and then to molest some of those children.

I sent a general letter about the situation to the Watchtower Society, and also a beseeching letter on July 21, 1993 to Governing Body member, Lloyd Barry, now deceased. In my letter, I related my concerns about molesters engaging in the door-to-door ministry based upon how the pedophile in our local congregation used this activity to find children, and how I thought a molesterĺs participation in this activity should be restricted.

http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/barbara-an...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112322 Sep 3, 2013
tema wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you have any facts that will support your opinion.
If you do, then you neglected to provide whatever evidence you have at your disposal.
Opinions that are not supported by facts or based on personal experiences should be accepted for what they are , opinions and nothing else.
Claims of personal opinions are often based upon opinions of ones perspective. In other words, if there is no evidence of the experience, it is the same as opinion.

Location hidden

#112323 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You never fail to blow me away with this line of reasoning.

It is EXACTLY like Muslims murdering Christians! Muslims murder anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity. It is(or was) legal in Afghanistan. Bush had to pressure them not to do it once. No invasion need be part of the reason. It is EXACTLY like Moses murdering those who believed DIFFERENT than he.

They obviously did not all worship the same god. If they did, why worship a calf? Learn some history please. The bull (Taurus) was worshiped back in the old times. People tend to worship what they helped them become a civilization. The bull is the animal man domesticated to help him work the fields. I am sure many of the "chosen people" just adopted the gods of the day. This is what people do. They blindly worship the gods of their peers.
Moses was trying to ensure their was no diversity of religion. He did this by murdering those who were different.
Again, if their was no diversity, then why did Moses murder 3,000 men women and children that day?
The laws of your god then, are wrong for today, and they were wrong for the old days. They were just plain immoral and barbaric.

Now lets address your insane reasoning of why their should be different standards in different times.
People of those days had the same brain as humans do today. Do you disagree with this?
So if they had the same mental capabilities of learning, then why did your god not teach them the same as people being taught today?

Just what teachings could the people back then, not be able to comprehend?
I know your god is a poor teacher, as he does not even know the "teach by example" rule of thumb. But is this why he failed to even try to teach the "Chosen people" the new ways?

I bring up the Moses murders to many people who question why I do not believe in the bible. Most do not even know about the murders. When I enlighten them, they really get taken aback. I will even tell them of the textbook Christian apologetic, the one you cite now. They never see it as a logical or moral reason to kill.
Thus it is an unjustified killing in many persons eyes. It is murder in the eyes of many people.
These people walked across the Red Sea on dry land as walls of water stood on each side of them. They watched Moses call on God to do many miracles that saved their lives. Then because of their wicked nature, they decided to turn from the God, whose power they al witnessed first hand, and make something out of their gold to worship. Nope, not exactly the same thing as Muslims killing Christians.
God wanted to turn this nation into a strong nation that would continue to increase in number and strength. And they defied Him. If you had been there and witness these things that could not have happened on their own without God, would you turn too and say it was all hogwash?

Location hidden

#112324 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, god does not hand anything over to anyone. If your people want a land, they just have to murder the inhabitants themselves. And they did as the bible tells. It is a book justifying the murder of people in a land to clear it for other people of other superstitions.

The practice continued for the next two thousand years after the bible was written.
People learn by example. Now why does your god not know this?
Isn't this how you are living where you are today?

Location hidden

#112325 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the devil made the bible so screwed up? I have not heard this EXCUSE before. Blame the devil for all problems. Thank god for all good things.
It is a pretty good excuse for the leaders to come up with. It gets them off the hook. Brilliant. Unbelievably people still today are falling prey to this line. Really makes me sad for mankind.
He has separated you from God as well.

Location hidden

#112326 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the moral code of your god is, it is ok to kill the children for sins of the father?
Our laws see this as immoral. It was always immoral.

Ok, so you say the babies did nothing wrong, then please tell us why the god murdered them? You sure skipped right past that main point.
Not sure it is a "code", but definitely a consequence that God saw fit to apply. God made judgment on these people and saw that they were wicked. And wicked parents raise wicked children that would continue to persecute His chosen people. No it doesn't seem fair to us for God to end the earthly visit for these people, but it was to further His plan to remove them from earth. Again, the children less than the age of accountability were not held responsible for their own sins.

Location hidden

#112327 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you could not find a single scripture to prove me wrong? Just what I thought would happen.
You interpret the bible one way, I will do it another way. Their are thousands of interpretations of the bible pal. Why? Guess the devil got to it.
The entire NT proves you wrong. Read it please.

Location hidden

#112328 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then you have a different interpretation of what a god is.
Many gods of history were subject to another god. It made them no less a god.
He is a member of the Godhead. The three are one in purpose but three separate beings.

Location hidden

#112330 Sep 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Hard to understand what makes no logical sense, but I see you disregard the illogical and just believe. Clearly not able to take the outsiders test.

Now you admit it might have been hard to think of much else when starving, but yet Moses kills them for thinking of worshiping a golden calf in hopes of bringing food. Clearly an unjust killing. An unjust killing is murder.
This was Moses acting under God's judgment. God judged the hearts of these people and dished out a harsh punishment. It's too bad they turned from what they witnessed to be true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tara baker out of jail 1 min Red H 5
kink 1 min sayinhi 1
Flat Lick Ball Coach Devin Mills 1 min Jessica Butler Gray 20
Is judge ex Jm hall going to prison ? 1 min Observer 7
Ms. 1 min Nimbletwig 1
Shooting at Walmart??? 1 min Nimbletwig 40
Brian Kleete 2 min info2 6
walmart shooting 7 hr Nikki 16
Social services barbourville ky 7 hr well 14
More from around the web