Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142466 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112238 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Never understood that either. Those were people with very weak faith. Their ambition and hope was completely broken down by the Egyptians while enslaved, but I would think their miraculous deliverance would have brought excitement and renewed faith. But they ended up in the desert thinking they were going to starve to death. If you consider Maslo's hierarchy of needs, their physical needs were not being met so it was probably hard to think about much else. And Moses was away so long they thought he died on the mountain.
Yes, they thought Moses was full of crap because he seemingly abandoned them. So like normal humans, they looked for other solutions. But your god expects what is not normal. So he had them murdered.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112239 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Your position is irrational because you posit a magical being that you cannot demonstrate to be true. If your position was tentative I would not find you irrational. If you said "I hope there is a god" then I could accept that. But "There is a god, whether or you accept it or not" is irrational. You have not demonstrated the truth of it.

Also, as we discussed before, the parent analogy is not accurate. God is perfect, we are far from perfect. But no parent is perfect. Kids are humans that come from humans. We have the DNA to demonstrate it.

Again, where is god's DNA? Show me that, then we can talk.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that your particular version of god is...weird. I've encountered a ton of theology and this idea that god is physical, has a body, is imperfect...is not standard. At all. You are arguing for a magical entity that is not all powerful. And I think that is going to be the hardest possible version of god for you to justify. Such a god would by all measures of logic leave some kind of trail we could follow to discover it.

And not a faith trail. I'm talking about hard evidence. Show me that.
I have repeatedly said that belief in God requires faith and that there will never be proof. If you can't get past that, then we will just keep having the same conversation.
You ask me questions about why I believe certain things, or what the specifics are about a topic regarding my beliefs, and then you bellyache because I answer a faith related question with anything less than can fit in a Petrie dish. Really?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112240 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have repeatedly said that belief in God requires faith and that there will never be proof. If you can't get past that, then we will just keep having the same conversation.
You ask me questions about why I believe certain things, or what the specifics are about a topic regarding my beliefs, and then you bellyache because I answer a faith related question with anything less than can fit in a Petrie dish. Really?
Yes, all religions have the same criteria, just have blind faith. This is why you fail to take the outsiders test. You have no test, you just have faith. So why you continue to give apologetics seems strange.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112241 Sep 2, 2013
uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
Teen pregnancy rates are trending downward...but they are still pretty high throughout the Bible Belt. Weird, huh?
Clearly because the kids are not mandated to pray anymore. Prayer could have prevented that seed from reaching its goal post.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#112242 Sep 2, 2013
I guess this was supposed to be a secret, somebody is spilling the beans. Interesting to know.

Brigham Young's doctrine of the godhead is one of the best-kept secrets of Mormonism.

Note:
A modern Mormon who teaches the doctrine that Adam is God is likely to be threatened with excommunication.

Only in private do modern Mormon authorities admit that, indeed, Brigham Young did teach this doctrine.

Brigham Young's doctrine consists of several elements, which must be put together from several of his utterances:

Adam came to this earth from another planet as a resurrected being.

Adam is the primary "organizer" (creator) of this world.

Adam is the father (creator) of our spirits, in addition to being our physical ancestor.

Adam is the physical father of Jesus.

Adam is also known as "Michael" and "the Ancient of Days." The term is used in the Bible to refer to God (Dan 7:9, 13, 22, also see Rev 1:14).

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112243 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what we will look like exactly. I'm imagining pretty similar to how we look in our prime or older/wiser years. We are told it is a glorified body, but that's all we really know. Good point that they didn't recognize Christ.
You don't know, you have blind faith that it is so. You have been told this, so you believe. Religion sells the Utopian world, and you are buying. But you really do not know it exists. You do not really know what you bought is coming to you. You just believe it.
Nephilim

Somerset, KY

#112244 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Never understood that either. Those were people with very weak faith. Their ambition and hope was completely broken down by the Egyptians while enslaved, but I would think their miraculous deliverance would have brought excitement and renewed faith. But they ended up in the desert thinking they were going to starve to death. If you consider Maslo's hierarchy of needs, their physical needs were not being met so it was probably hard to think about much else. And Moses was away so long they thought he died on the mountain.
Forty days wasn't all that long for Moses to be away. Is there a scripture saying they thought he died? Why wasn't their physical needs being met?

Their isn't any evidence other than the bible on the exodus or the ten plagues. The Nile turning to blood would of made the local paper for sure, that's just another reason why I can't believe the story.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112245 Sep 2, 2013
•In 1828, eight years after he supposedly had been told by God himself to join no church, Smith applied for membership in a local Methodist church. Other members of his family had joined the Presbyterians.
Nephilim

Somerset, KY

#112246 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's my opinion on faith and why sometimes proof is needed. When Jesus died he made a few public appearances to a lot of people, even crowds I think if I remember right. Why did Jesus prove that he was resurrected? Why didn't he just pull the faith card and not show himself? He did it because people at that time needed proof, otherwise he's just another dead guy.

If he gave proof once thousands of years ago, then why can't he give a little proof now? It would save my soul and millions of others. What is his reason for never leaving any evidence behind?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Nancy, KY

#112247 Sep 2, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
The claim is the russian Onyx SS-N-25 asm is a unstoppable missle. Has any read about any counter measures on this new weapon?
Is Obama Administration Preparing To Sacrifice 4 US Navy Destroyers to Start War With Syria?
Monday, August 26, 2013 21:28
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/08/...
Phalanx can definitely stop them but it's not a 100% effective as it relies on radar tracking and the ASM has radar counter measures..

That whole limited no boots on the ground crap leaves out the fact the the Enemy gets a vote in it and the first ship taken out or the first retaliation on US bases in the region with a SCUD strike or a launch of ballistic missiles on Israel and all bets are off...

And if he does it without the Congress authorizing it then he is acting Unconstitutionally... I don't see where he has the Authority to strike and did not have the Authority to strike in Libya since the War Powers Act sounds Specific on his limits...

From the 1974 War Powers Act...

c) Presidential executive power as Commander-in-Chief; limitation
The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to
(1) a declaration of war,
(2) specific statutory authorization, or
(3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.

Roseville, CA

#112248 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
•In 1828, eight years after he supposedly had been told by God himself to join no church, Smith applied for membership in a local Methodist church. Other members of his family had joined the Presbyterians.
God must be getting soft, normally God would have killed everybody attending the local Methodist and Presbyterian church and leave only Smith alive to serve as a lesson for disobeying God.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112249 Sep 2, 2013
I was answered by God that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that:“they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.” He again forbade me to join with any of them;..."
- Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Smith History 1:18-20

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112250 Sep 2, 2013
"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'whore of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness. Any person who shall be so corrupt as to receive a holy ordinance of the Gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent"
- Apostle Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 255
Mormon

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112251 Sep 2, 2013
Christianity...is a perfect pack of nonsense...the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century."
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p.167
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#112252 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'whore of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness. Any person who shall be so corrupt as to receive a holy ordinance of the Gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent"
- Apostle Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 255
Mormon
Revelation 18:1-4 After these things I saw another angel descending from heaven, with great authority; and the earth was lighted up from his glory. 2&#8239;And he cried out with a strong voice, saying:“She has fallen! Babylon the Great has fallen, and she has become a dwelling place of demons and a lurking place of every unclean exhalation and a lurking place of every unclean and hated bird! 3&#8239;For because of the wine of the anger of her fornication all the nations have fallen [victim], and the kings of the earth committed fornication with her, and the traveling merchants of the earth became rich due to the power of her shameless luxury.”
4&#8239;And I heard another voice out of heaven say:“Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. 5&#8239;For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind. 6&#8239;Render to her even as she herself rendered, and do to her twice as much, yes, twice the number of the things she did; in the cup in which she put a mixture put twice as much of the mixture for her. 7&#8239;To the extent that she glorified herself and lived in shameless luxury, to that extent give her torment and mourning. For in her heart she keeps saying,‘I sit a queen, and I am no widow, and I shall never see mourning.’ 8&#8239;That is why in one day her plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong.
Quoted from God's inspired word the BIBLE

Roseville, CA

#112253 Sep 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Phalanx can definitely stop them but it's not a 100% effective as it relies on radar tracking and the ASM has radar counter measures..
That whole limited no boots on the ground crap leaves out the fact the the Enemy gets a vote in it and the first ship taken out or the first retaliation on US bases in the region with a SCUD strike or a launch of ballistic missiles on Israel and all bets are off...
And if he does it without the Congress authorizing it then he is acting Unconstitutionally... I don't see where he has the Authority to strike and did not have the Authority to strike in Libya since the War Powers Act sounds Specific on his limits...
From the 1974 War Powers Act...
c) Presidential executive power as Commander-in-Chief; limitation
The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to
(1) a declaration of war,
(2) specific statutory authorization, or
(3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.
Obama should listen to our citizens, I'm sure our troops could take a break from war. The French will opt out if obama does. Let us hope common sense will prevail.

Japan I read is working on a Mach 3 or 4 supersonic asm missle also that will be functional in 2016 that can be equipped to various weapon platforms against China superior naval forces.

I read China already has one of their own.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#112254 Sep 2, 2013
How can a person know which religion is right?
(1) On what are its teachings based? Are they from God, or are they largely from men?(2 Tim. 3:16; Mark 7:7) Ask, for example: Where does the Bible teach that God is a Trinity? Where does it say that the human soul is immortal?
(2) Consider whether it is making known the name of God. Jesus said in prayer to God:“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.”(John 17:6) He declared:“It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.”(Matt. 4:10) Has your religion taught you that ‘it is Jehovah you must worship’? Have you come to know the Person identified by that name—his purposes, his activities, his qualities—so that you feel you can confidently draw close to him?
(3) Is true faith in Jesus Christ being demonstrated? This involves appreciation of the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ human life and of his position today as heavenly King.(John 3:36; Ps. 2:6-8) Such appreciation is shown by obeying Jesus—sharing personally and zealously in the work that he assigned to his followers. True religion has such faith that is accompanied by works.—Jas. 2:26.
(4) Is it largely ritualistic, a formality, or is it a way of life? God strongly disapproves of religion that is merely a formalism.(Isa. 1:15-17) True religion upholds the Bible’s standard of morality and clean speech instead of weakly going along with popular trends.(1 Cor. 5:9-13; Eph. 5:3-5) Its members reflect the fruits of God’s spirit in their lives.(Gal. 5:22, 23) So, those who adhere to true worship can be identified because they sincerely endeavor to apply Bible standards in their lives not only at their places of meeting but in their family life, at their secular work, in school, and in recreation.
(5) Do its members truly love one another? Jesus said:“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”(John 13:35) Such love reaches across racial, social, and national boundaries, drawing people together in genuine brotherhood. So strong is this love that it sets them apart as being truly different. When the nations go to war, who have enough love for their Christian brothers in other lands that they refuse to take up arms and kill them? That is what early Christians did.
(6) Is it truly separate from the world? Jesus said that his true followers would be “no part of the world.”(John 15:19) To worship God in a manner that he approves requires that we keep ourselves “without spot from the world.”(Jas. 1:27) Can that be said of those whose clergy and other members are involved in politics, or whose lives are largely built around materialistic and fleshly desires?—1 John 2:15-17.
(7) Are its members active witnesses concerning God’s Kingdom? Jesus foretold:“This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”(Matt. 24:14) What religion is really proclaiming God’s Kingdom as the hope of mankind instead of encouraging people to look to human rulership to solve their problems? Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matt. 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.

Roseville, CA

#112255 Sep 2, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
How can a person know which religion is right?
Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matt. 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.
Christianity...is a perfect pack of nonsense...the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century."
- Prophet Brigham Young,

Roseville, CA

#112256 Sep 2, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 18:1-4 After these things I saw another angel descending from heaven, with great authority; and the earth was lighted up from his glory.
Remember the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112257 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I totally agree that Mormons were persecuted by the mainstream religious community (everyone else, basically). I don't think they should have had their stuff taken away or put in jail for plural marriage or any of that nonsense.

But I do think you are willfully ignoring the glaringly obvious fact that "revelations" seem to be meaningless and powerless in the face of political/legal assault. And I think that stands as strong evidence that god is not real and "prophets" are full of crap.

You want your religion to be true. But you also want to be a rational person. So you rationalize. If it is embarrassing that the LDS was racist until the Civil Rights movement then they suddenly got a message from god to not be racist anymore...well that's just human error. If plural marriage was god's law until the law of the land said no...then another revelation says no more plural marriage...well that's just a necessity of building "zion". And when someone says an ear healed magically, well that's gods power.

Can you not even concede that we can describe all this stuff very easily with no appeals whatsoever to god or magic?

Racism was rampant in the LDS because it was rampant everywhere anyway. It changed its position when the social pressure became too strong to resist, just like every other institution.

Plural marriage was ended because it became a lethal liability to the further existence of the church itself. It was a rational move to make. You don't need to infer a divine decree.

The ear was never dangling by a shred of skin and it never healed suddenly in moments. People involved were simply mistaken and not remembering it correctly, which is entirely consistent with all psychological research on memory.

Why posit a supernatural element at all?

That's what I mean by "irrational".
Plural marriage has come and gone throughout the scriptures. For some it was required, for other time periods it was not. The same applies to the 1800s. When Joseph was moved to ask how it was ok, he was answered and also told that it was time to reinstate it.
Had he not thought things out on his own and asked, maybe it would not have been reinstated. I don't know. But it does appear that God requires us to think add ponder things on our own.
In the case of all worthy men holding the priesthood, this timing may have been to avoid more persecution. I'm not sure. It was clear that Joseph had black friends and followers. As I said, this was a major reason Missouri hated Mormons. They saw Joseph as an abolitionist and a threat to their way of life. But in Joseph's lifetime, blacks were not allowed to hold the priesthood. Maybe this timing was to draw less attention to this group as everyone already hated them for so many other reasons.

I'm not going back to the friend of mine with the injured son. I spoke with him after posting last time about it and he said if people can't believe it, just leave it alone. He'd rather no ill be spoken of his family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kyle Campbell what a joke!! 12 min The Man 1
Stephen Trace Signs 1 hr Open Book 27
lets go to florida (Jan '15) 2 hr isolated incident 203
burger kings preacher 2 hr Burger King customer 3
The times, they are a changing. 4 hr Nimbletwig 1
woman 6 hr gagme 3
cash job for women 6 hr angie 22
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages