Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142457 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Abrahammmmm

Somerset, KY

#112215 Sep 2, 2013
Being Logical wrote:
As a Christian, I would love for the Bible to be taught in every school. As a human, I can see the pitfalls of this, the number #1 being you would be forcing one religion on the entire US population; and while I don't think that is a bad thing spiritually, I do not think God wants a people forced to believe in him or worship him without a choice.
We've seen where our children have gone since they took the Bible (or any religious teachings) out of the school. Our children are taught they evolved from fish and animals, so they are reverting back to behaving like unprincipled, cornered animals. I feel if you teach evolution, then you should also teach creationism.
Once a child has a sense of "forever" he may make better decisions in this life instead of saying, "What does it matter. I'm just gonna die and that's it." People have to have hope in order to strive to make tomorrow better for themselves and others. Without hope, life is going to continue that downward slide.
Perhaps we could compile and only teach the good principals combining ALL religions that teach peace and love of fellow man? I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that. Unless you are one who likes kids killing kids and even taking their own lives because they're being taught they are nothing but inconsequential specks of evoluation that just happened; no purpose, no reason and no future.
We see what this teaching has done since Madeline O'Hara. Why can't we make decisions based on giving hope back to our children.
Thank you.
Wasn't segregation of schools going on around the same time the bible was taken out of schools? Couldn't you make the same argument the reason the schools are in the shape they are is because of segregation and not the removal of religion from schools? Seeing how school shootings happen to Christians and in Christian schools, I don't think you can blame the removal of the bible.

As far as not having a future to look forward to in the after life, aren't most people going to hell? Doesn't the bible say the path to life is narrow and only a few make it? Telling kids they will burn in hell doesn't sound like a nice after life. Seems like kids would do better knowing that they need to make the most out of their life instead of telling them they have a 'do over' after they die.
Lise Spano

Crownsville, MD

#112216 Sep 2, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/m89e7eu

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Nancy, KY

#112218 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt there are millions of people who want to kill you and your family. If that was the case then acts of terror on a larger scale would be far more common. Instead we see isolated, small events. Failed attempts. And lots of infighting.
Extremists are the minority in all cultures. Here in the USA we have our own extremists. We have some very mouthy Christian pastors who like to talk publicly about killing gays or beating children. In most Islamic countries you have more extreme voices and general attitude is shifted right of center regarding traditionally conservative ideas like family values, religion, and patriarchy.
But "millions" of them don't want you dead. Or else you'd be dead.
1.6 Billion Muslims on the planet.. Pew and Gallop polls indicated that of that set there are Millions of Islamic Jihadists that want to kill me and my family... And you and your family... And a far larger number want to over throw the United States and install Saria Law as it's governing body... And there are a far larger number that while not wanting to do either still do support those that do....

So far over 4000 civilian me's are dead that have been killed by those that have publicly stated they want to kill You and Me....

So you go tell the father of the SEAL's in Benghazi that if a millions wanted him dead he would be, or the families of the 1000's in the towers, or the wives and children from the Embassies in Africa...

Yes Millions of Islamic Hoards what to kill me and my family, and you and your family.... Some of their leaders have plainly said so... and have made many attempts to kill you and your family and me and my family... They have just missed so far...

http://www.islamist-watch.org/blog/2011/09/pe...

Nancy, KY

#112219 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a 13-yo girl I know who now has a baby. She had the baby because, thanks to her Christian upbringing, the idea of an abortion is the same as murder. Now whatever future she might have had is forever altered and her chances of achieving a high level of education, employment, and happiness are diminished.
All because people like you believe in magic.
Or that 13 yo might get the support and help of her family and get a great education and become a Nobel winning scientist that finds a cure for cancer and her truly loved infant grows to be the President of the Us...

But yes if the 13 yo is brought under the dependency of the state and placed in a position where her family gives her life over to the state to give her just enough to get by but fails to allow her to be the best she can be then she might very well be another failed statistic...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112220 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"might be a man named Jesus"... I don't think that's strong enough!
Even the demons believe stronger than that, and they tremble!
I don't believe any demons believe in Jesus, mostly because I am sure demons are non existent.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112221 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Fox has people like Juan Williams, and Bob Beckle on it
to represent the Liberal/Democratic view...
Sometimes, they say really profound things!
They both talk about the racism of people like Sharpton, n Jackson!
Juan even wrote a book about the collapse of the black families,
and the effect of un-wed mothers (70% today) on the anger, and poverty in the black community!
But... they still think Obama is a GOOD Leader, a Good role model for people...
Blacks do have it way better today, than yesterday, and
NONE of us alive today, had a damn thing to do with slavery!
The race-baiter industry ought to get over it!
No... too much money in it keeping things stirred up!
So you think the Democrats Fox news puts on TV are really the representatives of Democrats? Juan is siding with the republicans on this issue. Juan is not saying what you hear on MSNBC. If you really want to know what a Democrat thinks, just turn on that channel. If I want to know what a republican thinks, I turn on fox news. But you are so brainwashed as to think Fox news is actually fair and balanced.
I would never make that claim of MSNBC, and they are not so hypocritical as to claim it as fox news does.

Did you read Juan's book or are you just telling me the Fox news version of it?
And why would you blame Obama for the downfall of the black community? You act as if Obama has been a dictator for the past fifty years.

And why would you think America's history does not affect you or the black community? History affects us all. It shapes our society.

Nancy, KY

#112222 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe any demons believe in Jesus, mostly because I am sure demons are non existent.
Guess you never watched "Hell Boy" then... Bet you think all the movies don't count as evidence do you.... You need more Discernment when watching movies guy.....;)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112223 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Fox has people like Juan Williams, and Bob Beckle on it
to represent the Liberal/Democratic view...
Sometimes, they say really profound things!
They both talk about the racism of people like Sharpton, n Jackson!
Juan even wrote a book about the collapse of the black families,
and the effect of un-wed mothers (70% today) on the anger, and poverty in the black community!
But... they still think Obama is a GOOD Leader, a Good role model for people...
What I witnessed on fox news about the MLK reunion ceremony was race baiting. I guess you are correct, it sells and you are buying.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112224 Sep 2, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
That ol' "babies are like puppies" an duh givvernment will provides, so'z we kin just breeds like dogs---entitleMENTALity case mentality.
Sick in the head. Sick, sick, sick.
And disgusting.
Nothing in the statement you were responding to mentioned government help, nor promoted having more children. In fact it said the exact opposite.

Now just what side is promoting having children? Is it the side handing out contraceptives and teaching how to prevent unwanted pregnancies, or is it the side that does not wish to fund anything that prevents unwanted children from being born?

If you are going to demand all pregnancies come to childbirth no matter the financial situation of the parents, then I think you should be promoting funding the care of that unwanted child.

You want you cake and eat it also. Life does not work well with such a mentality.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#112225 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
I agree somewhat with your sentiments here, but to an extent.
None alive that had a thing to do with slavery, but I'm sure some are still alive that have experienced segregation. Any race which had to endure what the Black's went through would naturally have some sort of emotional baggage, due to their ancestors living it. With that being said, KKK is alive today as much as it was back then. I think what defines a person is how they handle situations in a complex and emotionally fueled environment. That's where character, and morals are defined. In my opinion, We need to remember what has happened in the past and learn from it...or we are doomed to repeat it.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#112226 Sep 2, 2013
The claim is the russian Onyx SS-N-25 asm is a unstoppable missle. Has any read about any counter measures on this new weapon?

Is Obama Administration Preparing To Sacrifice 4 US Navy Destroyers to Start War With Syria?

Monday, August 26, 2013 21:28

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/08/...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112227 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Never understood that either. Those were people with very weak faith. Their ambition and hope was completely broken down by the Egyptians while enslaved, but I would think their miraculous deliverance would have brought excitement and renewed faith. But they ended up in the desert thinking they were going to starve to death. If you consider Maslo's hierarchy of needs, their physical needs were not being met so it was probably hard to think about much else. And Moses was away so long they thought he died on the mountain.
Hard to understand what makes no logical sense, but I see you disregard the illogical and just believe. Clearly not able to take the outsiders test.

Now you admit it might have been hard to think of much else when starving, but yet Moses kills them for thinking of worshiping a golden calf in hopes of bringing food. Clearly an unjust killing. An unjust killing is murder.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112230 Sep 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>The N word most certainly does offend me because it is an insult direct at someone, I am offended by any insult directed at anyone except is response to an insult directed at someone... That way I make the effort to respond to some rambling posts by saying "That's idiotic" if the poster is just posting what I percieve as idiotic ramblings I don't say "You are an Idiot" unless in the post the poster made direct insults directed at someone... See how that works...

But god dammit is not an insult directed at anyone at least I cannot see where it is even a directed insult at God since God is not a name in the first place. It is a Title... And even the Christian God Jehova makes it clear in the ten commandments it's not his name as he say "You will have No Other Gods before me" There are Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Indian Gods and 1000's of Gods in mans history and when someone says God Dammit they are not taking any God's name in vain...
Since the God of the Bible is the only one I'm aware of that commands people not to use His name in vain, I don't see that your argument is valid about other gods you mentioned. It is more of an internal justification.

No, God is not His name, but it is certainly one of the words used to call on Him since it is a fitting title that even He uses to describe Himself. So if calling on God to damn something and you don't really mean it in the context that you wish for Him to actually curse something or someone to Hell, then you called on Him in vain. And since you don't believe in Him, I am sure that you have called on Him in vain. And you can always expect believers in Him to be offended by this.

You know this, I guess you just wanted to see me explain it.

Location hidden

#112231 Sep 2, 2013
yes wrote:
<quoted text>i see things like you do.and worship the same god the father.the body we get back is it the same body from the first world age?you know when Christ was risen he didn't look like the flesh Christ did.they didn't know him he had to show them the nail prints in his hand then they new him.so in the 3th world age the 1000 yrs with Christ here on earth .it said we would have a new body no flesh.but we must have looked like we do now before we become flesh.in the 1'th world age.
I don't know what we will look like exactly. I'm imagining pretty similar to how we look in our prime or older/wiser years. We are told it is a glorified body, but that's all we really know. Good point that they didn't recognize Christ.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112232 Sep 2, 2013
Abrahammmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't segregation of schools going on around the same time the bible was taken out of schools? Couldn't you make the same argument the reason the schools are in the shape they are is because of segregation and not the removal of religion from schools? Seeing how school shootings happen to Christians and in Christian schools, I don't think you can blame the removal of the bible.
As far as not having a future to look forward to in the after life, aren't most people going to hell? Doesn't the bible say the path to life is narrow and only a few make it? Telling kids they will burn in hell doesn't sound like a nice after life. Seems like kids would do better knowing that they need to make the most out of their life instead of telling them they have a 'do over' after they die.
True, I cannot count the times I have heard people justifying doing more bad things because they are already doomed to hell.
So their psychological view is all screwed up by this myth.
Mohammad Campoli

Crownsville, MD

#112233 Sep 2, 2013
never thought i would find one that was totally free, they all usually ask you for a credit card, but this one didnt! i was able to chat and use every feature of the site for free, send and receive messages, check my flirts and even free video chat. you guy and girls should really check this one out! its definitely worth a look http://tinyurl.com/ldsxpkt
which one

Concord, NC

#112234 Sep 2, 2013
which bible?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112235 Sep 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the God of the Bible is the only one I'm aware of that commands people not to use His name in vain, I don't see that your argument is valid about other gods you mentioned. It is more of an internal justification.
No, God is not His name, but it is certainly one of the words used to call on Him since it is a fitting title that even He uses to describe Himself. So if calling on God to damn something and you don't really mean it in the context that you wish for Him to actually curse something or someone to Hell, then you called on Him in vain. And since you don't believe in Him, I am sure that you have called on Him in vain. And you can always expect believers in Him to be offended by this.
You know this, I guess you just wanted to see me explain it.
Yes the name of your god is not god, but of course the claims of the bible often act as if god is talking about himself in the third person and calls himself god, but is a title the writer claims, not his name.
And of course you automatically assume anyone Damning a god is pointing to your god, but this is the hubris of your mentality.
Most know the phrase is not really being directed at any god, much less your god. It is just a slang expression that has little meaning. It is often used by those who have a small vocabulary.

Location hidden

#112236 Sep 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Gah... it's all mind candy. What difference if it's peppermint, butterscotch or horehound flavored? Go ahead - hike your chair up to the table and serve yourself a plateful.
I'm just going to assume you don't really want a conversation. You just want to insult.
Can't stand a religious person that can hold their own? Gotta result to insult because you can't make a real point?
uuummm

London, KY

#112237 Sep 2, 2013
Brewster wrote:
they should bring the prayer back to schools in the morning first thing be fore school starts, plus the ten commandments, and paddling's if we had the same stuff in school taht was in place 30 years ago then we wouldnt have teen pregnancy's on the rise , not have kids murdering their parents like we hear about and you never heard about kids goin to school and shooting the place up. so yea bring it to the schools, because we need help in america and obama is not it.
Teen pregnancy rates are trending downward...but they are still pretty high throughout the Bible Belt. Weird, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
woman 28 min gagme 3
cash job for women 1 hr angie 22
Paul Tate 1 hr haha 17
larry coleman 2 hr ass 5
Randy smith and Shelia 2 hr Nimbletwig 17
Melissa sanders 2 hr i do know u jean 13
I be;ieve I'm Dying. 3 hr Nimbletwig 37
What happened in town last night? Sat Con 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance