Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,340)

Showing posts 106,781 - 106,800 of122,773
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't nonsense. I will admit it doesn't fit 100% of the population.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were protected from every bad thing that could ever happen, what would we be like? I would think we would take everything good for granted and just expect it all the time. I think you have to know the bad to appreciate the good.
I think the analogy works very well. I think it closely parallels.
I agree that much of what we appreciate is in contrast to that which we endure. Even diet Pepsi and Spam taste palatable if you're thirsty and hungry... enough. Your argument falls flat in thinking we have to experience a bad thing to appreciate a good thing. You don't have to kill to value a life. You don't have to hate in order to know love. You don't have to have been deaf to appreciate a song or blind to appreciate beauty.

The utter nonsense is that >according to your own Book<, Adam and Eve were protected from every bad thing that could ever happen - except for the retaliation of a god.
In contrast, I'd have to have a ravenous emotional void for that story to become palatable.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't even holes, just "lines."
Yaa said, "when I took my jacket off, there were two lead lines
straight down my back 1/4" appart, and starting at mid, to lower shoulder
blade!"
He probably leaned against something and got his jacket dirty.
But he would rather believe that "god" protected him.
Strokes his ego.
When I see a WWJD bumper sticker, this is what crosses my mind:

blink. eye roll. face palm.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No! Actually....
If you are prohibiting the free exercise thereof, I'd say...
If you don't like it... walk on by!
If you are going to claim the Constitution as your protector of rights you really should understand what the words on the paper say...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Note it is specific to Congress and not to your fellow citizens... The Constitution is written originally only as a limit of what the Government can or cannot do and does not apply to Citizens... That is left for the local, State and Federal Laws to deal with... So a Citizen can indeed prohibit your free exercise thereof as long as local, state or federal laws are not broken...

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are going to claim the Constitution as your protector of rights you really should understand what the words on the paper say...
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Note it is specific to Congress and not to your fellow citizens... The Constitution is written originally only as a limit of what the Government can or cannot do and does not apply to Citizens... That is left for the local, State and Federal Laws to deal with... So a Citizen can indeed prohibit your free exercise thereof as long as local, state or federal laws are not broken...
Many states adopt the U.S. constitution in their state constitutions, thereby adopting the first amendment on the state level. As well,
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

If Wiccans wish to form a coven or Muslims want to build a community center, or Satanists open a church, or John Doe opens an atheist bookstore, it is not within the province of government to deny them permissions and protections equal to those considerations given protestants and Catholics.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Many states adopt the U.S. constitution in their state constitutions, thereby adopting the first amendment on the state level. As well,
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
If Wiccans wish to form a coven or Muslims want to build a community center, or Satanists open a church, or John Doe opens an atheist bookstore, it is not within the province of government to deny them permissions and protections equal to those considerations given protestants and Catholics.
Yes states have adopted similar language but those also apply to what the State can or cannot do, Not what the Citizens can or cannot do... That is left for local, state and federal Laws to deal with...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't say you personally done the study, just wanted to know where you acquired your information. Not doubting it was in some paper. Did that study specify what PRE-TEEN was? Q posted some data collected over a period of years, which I think was the rarest of pre-teen pregnancies. Take a lQQk-see when you get a chance. Interesting study there too. I posted another link that had data collected up in the infancy of 2010, still didn't show Ky being #1 in Teen pregnancy, and it stands to reason if they are highest in pre teen, same would apply to teen as well, but of course it all stems on the age block they consider in the study.
No no. I don't waste my time doing studies. I work for a living. I don't get paid to do studies so you will never hear me say that. Studying religions definitely, but that's not the same thing as performing a study for statistical data.
I believe it was including 14 and under but I don't remember.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, yet another excuse for your absentee god.
I need no child to die for no apparent reason in order for me to know bad or appreciate life.
I do not expect to be protected by a god, and clearly no god is protecting anyway.
Life is just like no god exists.

There is suffering and there is insane suffering. Do we really need the insane suffering going on constantly just to remind us how wonderful we have it?
Sorry. Shouldn't have served you meat yet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Not necessarily (joe) I see now whatcha saying... Ok first,... Pulaski could have been higest in the STATE of KENTUCKY but not when compared to the NATION'S AVERAGE..
It could have been a scare tactic for a wake up call to bad parents. I remember it saying Pulaski was the worst for it and KY was one of the worst states for it and the US was the worst country for it. So basically it was saying hideya kids, hideya wives ...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
Well that's just great JOe...you "black eye" our lil state by saying our pre teen girls are doing more than pretending to play house, then say, well I don't have that paper anymore. How am I to defend our lil angels now? I'm gonna hafta make a trip to the Library and research their newspaper archives. Demmitt
Hahaha. Sorry. I really didn't mean to upset you with all this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Back The Fac UP Joe.... That statement coming from YOU???

Now that's damn hilarious!!!
Haha, I thought you would find that funny.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>A fool in his heart says...
You Prove God's existence with EVERY post!
:-)
You say this as if the bibles claim of someone denying a god means they really are a fool. Of course the believers who wrote the bible think non believers are fools. But that is not proof of anything other than a difference in opinion.

To use the bibles claims like this as evidence is foolish.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. Shouldn't have served you meat yet.
So you can avoid taking the outsiders test? I see. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't even holes, just "lines."
Yaa said, "when I took my jacket off, there were two lead lines
straight down my back 1/4" appart, and starting at mid, to lower shoulder
blade!"
He probably leaned against something and got his jacket dirty.
But he would rather believe that "god" protected him.
Strokes his ego.
Reminds me of a possible motive for Joseph Smith's claims of a god leading him to golden tablets.
Ego's.

The Mormon apologetics will say no one would make this story up due to likely persecution. I guess they do not consider how humans do not always take all possible repercussions into consideration and some will even take the repercussions for the rewards of power. It is the human way.

Apologetic's like this forget their are many possible answers to the situation. It amazes me that they would claim it is impossible that ego could be a motive but god handing over golden tablets is so plausible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First, it makes no logical sense that people of those times could not follow the philosophy you follow now.
Now lets keep in mind, humans learn by example.
So this tale being in the bible is highly likely to be teaching one to murder in mass. We know by history it has happened. We know by reading the bible Moses took it upon himself to have troops kill the innocent kids and women many times.
You have your apologetics down pretty well, but it still does not cut the mustard with reality.
If I was all powerful and a robot builder, I would not need to murder my robots, I would just reprogram them with my words as I did the first time.
Evidently this is deeper than Du What can go.
Clearly the official apologetic keeps him from asking questions that are of the outsiders test. Or at least anything below the surface questions.
Since he will not continue the debate, I can see he rests his case upon god having the double standard. God can and murder, people cannot.
Clear double standards.
And yet he wonders why we do not just dive in and try to have faith.
Evidently it takes double standards to have faith. So I suppose that is my curse, I have consistent standards, thus I cannot have faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Weiner!
Amazing how you just did what was accused of you. I am sure you do not even know.

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
BS, you tiresome little man. You excuse every lie and foible of the Republicans and condemn every breath of a Democrat. You don't stand for anything good, you're just another cheerleader for partisanship.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>And this is a perfect example of a man assigning the attributes of a being
he denies to himself!
You... do not know what happened, you THINK you know!
I on the other hand, was there, was Saved by Christ, was
Told by God to look into my life for this proof...
You know what I think???
You just cant stand it... To know someone achieved something you
did not!
You either didn't achieve salvation for lack of desire, or...
You did, and satan led you away like he did me!
Only... I hope it doesn't take you 40 years to get back on track...
We don't have that kind of time!
Thanks for telling us what you think is going on in my brain.
From what I understand of your myth of the Christ is, his death made for all humanities salvation. Now are you taking this mythological claim back from the official Christian dogma?

So from my understanding, I have salvation if the story is true, no matter if I believe the story or not. So why would I be upset or jealous?

I have explained my motives for debating your beliefs many times. I do it with most every post in an indirect way.

I do not know if you were shot in the head twice, but I do doubt it happened due to the evidence you presented. Due to your testimony, it sounds like you quickly jump to conclusions of miracles from a god. You obviously do not take other possibilities into serious consideration.
This trend of assumptions leads me to believe all your god experiences were a false jump to conclusions.
In ancient times, the people were all as superstitious as yourself and jumped to the conclusion of godly miracles.
With little science comes jumps to conclusions that are more likely false. If you think magic happens from a god, then you likely jump to this conclusion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.
Religion is used to bolster patriotism. Religion is born of patriotism. Religion is born of politics. Religion is a tool to fight war.
The concept of an afterlife just made it easier for the war mongering leaders to send troops off to war. The promises of paradise to the martyrs works wonders for the leaders.

Bush found no WMD's as he sent tens of thousands to be maimed and killed.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that your definition of "patriotism" is to watch Faux News and burn more domestic fossil fuels.'Nuff said.
Being gullible or duplicitous gives no honor or glory to Christ and I won't sully the blood, sweat, and sacrifices of veterans by claiming that they are patriots because they love Jesus.
By "religious and conservative military," do you mean any member of the Romney clan, or the ever-growing list of chickenhawks? Since you mention the draft, what are the odds of someone obtaining a CO status based on the grounds that they are a pacifist atheist? " " " " a pacifist Christian?
All anyone needs to do is >find< WMDs and he'll have passed Bush's record.
Christian conservatives think the end is near, as YaA says, so burn baby burn.
I am sure he think these middle east situations are all part of the plan of god for this end.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Amazing how you just did what was accused of you. I am sure you do not even know.
Why on Earth would YaA have quoted MLK, Jr.? Adding (or should I say 'addle-ing') insult to injury?
YaA would swear that conservatism is what stood solidly for the civil rights movement. What he doesn't recall is that it was standing BEfore it with tear gas and night sticks.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Christian conservatives think the end is near, as YaA says, so burn baby burn.
I am sure he think these middle east situations are all part of the plan of god for this end.
I don't care if they call themselves Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Republican, Democrat or pink with purple polkadot-ites. Religious and/or political fundamentalism is/are social and mental disease.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 106,781 - 106,800 of122,773
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

82 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
benge mcgee for family court judge 31 min Voter 11
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 34 min Mao-bama Zombies 138,683
Best elementary school 1 hr momma of 5 15
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr nope 920
Maryann Smith and Thomas (Oct '12) 2 hr lettin it all out 21
new restaurant in downtown shopping center 3 hr jimmy 28
lamon jones 3 hr someone who knows 13
Corey vs. Collins 5 hr Pop 56
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••