Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,349

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#112015 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't because of money. The government was prepared to destroy the church by imprisoning all the males practicing polygamy. The revelation was a vision of how the church would be destroyed by demolishing families. This is why they were told to end plural marriage. It was not because of money or Utah's statehood. This is a misconception.
Okey dokey. I guess revelations can change due to politics. Weird how god seems to be so hamstrung by human foibles. You would have thought that if plural marriage was something god wanted you to do he could have found a way to make sure you could do it.

It's almost as if...almost like...he isn't there at all!

Nah, perish the thought.

Location hidden

#112016 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't harmless. It makes many cringe because of the love they have for God. It'd be like someone calling your gramma vulgar names. Yes they are just words, but they would invoke emotions inside you because of the love you have for your gramma.
I personally feel it is the worst thing that could be said in the English language. Be aware, what you feel is harmless, is offensive to others.
My grandmother was a real person. So there's a big difference there. Did god ever once make you cookies?

Yes, I know people take this seriously. That's why I don't walk around saying "god dammit" all the time. But people need to get past that sort of superstitious nonsense. So we need a few "GDs" here and there, just to remind them.
goaacdfdf

Pittsburgh, PA

#112017 Aug 30, 2013
youtube.com/watch... Wheres the Beef?
it never happening

Location hidden

#112018 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Says one with no experience or knowledge of the subject.
Be careful not to set aside things before you fully understand it. Based off of your summary, one can conclude you do not know the scriptures or their meaning at all.
I went to church a few times a year. And many different ones, which I'm thankful for. I got saved when I was a teen. Had my Jesus years. I've casually studied the Bible, including reading the Pentateuch among others.

I am NOT an expert. But I am not ignorant either.

Since I have been inside the fold, as it were, I can safely argue that you are wrong here. I do understand it. I was there. And I got out.

If you want to say that I was never a "real" Christian, then welcome to the No True Scotsman Fallacy Club.

My whole point was that the Bible sends mixed messages. The idea that it is a unified whole is ludicrous unless you want to employ the weird methods of Ancient Interpretation in which you can basically read anything into it that you desire.

Like Michael Jackson.

Location hidden

#112019 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
They were given the higher law with Adam. And they followed it for many generations but eventually failed. They were first punished by slavery, and then after freed from bondage, resorted to wicked ways and created an idol to worship instead of the God that freed them. This is when God decided to give them the lesser laws.
Murder means killing innocent blood. These people that God killed were not innocent by His judgment. But remember, spirits do not die. He only ended their earthly experience. And He did so because they showed they would only do wicked while on earth.
And if you remember Terminator, the self aware system did not allow reprogramming.
When did Adam give anyone a "higher law"? I don't remember that part. Can you post the verse of Genesis where this happens?

What wicked did the babies do on earth? Can you cite the verses where these wicked deeds are named?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112020 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What reliable evidence? Please be more concise
Botany, astrophysics, geology, archaeology, paleontology, biology, genetics, common sense.
Concise? Peruse any Encyclopedia. Plants didn't come before the sun. The Earth is not flat (and never was). There was no Adam and Eve. There was no global flood. There was no Tower of Babel confusing of languages. Man cannot live for 3 days in a fish. Staves do not turn into snakes. The Red Sea was not parted. Heck, even Nazareth post dates Jesus. Religion claims all of these things and more are were real and happened. Where is YOUR reliable evidence to substantiate YOUR claims? >ONLY< within the human written texts of your religion.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#112021 Aug 30, 2013
So sad wrote:
It is really sad that you have a couple pathetic people that take away God away from our children.If you don't like what it stands for take your child out if the public school system and teach them at home.because I'm sure if you were brave enough to let people know who you are ,no one would even be your friend.So be a real man or women and come forward and let everyone know who you are.oh I'm sorry you are a COWARD!!!!!
You have it backward. You do not have the right to teach a religion to other people's children - no matter what religion it is. You have every right to send your kids to a private school that does teach the Bible - or the Koran, or the Book of Mormon, or the Tripitaka, or the Vedas... but don't ask for my tax dollars to pay for it. Pony up - or as Jesus put it, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesars, render unto God what is God's."
As far as criticizing anonymity on the internet, "So sad," - you don't get a gold star for being even more ignorant and hypocritical than your preacher expects you to be.
youtubeNews

AOL

#112022 Aug 30, 2013

ISRAEL to give POPE "Custody" of Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#112023 Aug 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful, your humanity is showing.
I know, I'm just a softy when it comes to such things...

Somerset, KY

#112024 Aug 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I can't believe you are trying to justify this bad habit with these stats.
I just cannot believe the human body could process smoke in the amounts most inhale without some damage.
I understand that, I find it remarkable also... But what other explanation is there if a 70% reduction returns no change results...

In experimental science if I were to have the same results I would have to conclude the results dispute the claims and assumptions....

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112025 Aug 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>

So from my understanding, I have salvation if the story is true, no matter if I believe the story or not. So why would I be upset or jealous?
What?
How did you derive that?
Jesus taught that salvation only happens for those that believe on and follow Him.

Maybe you are thinking resurrection. The resurrection happens for all. But not salvation.

Location hidden

#112026 Aug 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo! You nailed it in that last sentence.

Which is more reasonable: Joseph Smith made it all up for whatever reason...or god gave him golden tablet with a lost scripture on it?

The Outsider Test answers this pretty damn fast.

But Apologists are not interested in logic. Their purpose is to make rationalizations for weird beliefs. For example, that whole "Why would anyone make it up?" line of argument is just silly. It focuses in on one question that, on the surface, sounds reasonable. But it does so by ignoring MOUNTAINS of other questions with answers they don't like so much.

Where's the archaeological evidence for ANYTHING in the BoM?

Why does that book mention things that didn't exist at the time the stories are supposedly happening?

Why would Jesus come to this place?

And other such things.
What examples do you have of things that did not exist at the time?

There has been some archeological evidence for the stories of the BOM.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#112027 Aug 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Popular Mechanics did a famous takedown of the 9/11 conspiracies waaaay back in the mid 2000s:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/mi...
Excelent article. Note the tilt of the building.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112028 Aug 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
How did you derive that?
Jesus taught that salvation only happens for those that believe on and follow Him.
Maybe you are thinking resurrection. The resurrection happens for all. But not salvation.
The main point is, it is what I got from the bible and thus I have no reason to be jealous of YaA.
But if you wish to prove me wrong, then go for it. Show where it says I must believe in the Jesus and follow what he says to have salvation?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#112029 Aug 30, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that, I find it remarkable also... But what other explanation is there if a 70% reduction returns no change results...
In experimental science if I were to have the same results I would have to conclude the results dispute the claims and assumptions....
May as well have your kids start at two packs a day and work up to five. The stats say it is A ok.

Somerset, KY

#112030 Aug 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>May as well have your kids start at two packs a day and work up to five. The stats say it is A ok.
If it makes no difference if you smoke or not might as well do what you enjoy...

Location hidden

#112031 Aug 30, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Get over yourself... You made a blanket statement and it was wrong.. I only point to the facts of the matter and you cannot dispute those facts with rational argument and fall to calling me "thick"... At that point I figured any rational debate was over and I won so then I reserved the option of poking you with a stick... Your dogmatic adherence to your position and falling to ad hominem attack places you far closer to the religious zealots than I have ever been...
He's just mad you corrected him and made him look stupid while he was trying to insult others.
In other words, he turned around to high five someone like he accomplished something and you were there shaking your head and left him hanging with his hand in the air.

Location hidden

#112032 Aug 30, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Grandma Dammit doesn't really evoke much emotional response from me...
Yeah I meant someone cussing and saying profane things about your gramma.

Location hidden

#112033 Aug 30, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Is the Holy Ghost flesh and bone?
No. That's why He is also called the Holy Spirit. The Father and the Son have bodies, but the Holy Ghost does not.(Yet). I'm assuming He will be given this after His job is complete.

Location hidden

#112034 Aug 30, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>"I won" Lmfao.

Do you get a prize? Maybe a topix trophy.......

Lack of understanding medal.......Toooooo funny.....

O lord my sides are hurting must be releasing enzymes......

Did I mention you have a lot of periods.......

"thick" was a mistake, arrogant would serve better.......

I would point out where you got this whole thing twisted....

But you and I have been here before.......

And I find it amusing and strangly interesting......

"I won" "I won"

*sigh*
He did

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
flat lick Hammons Brothers Arrested--joseph/w.f... 37 min Just a Cover 9
Brett ledford 1 hr detective 3
Flood gates 1 hr Mayor Crookson 1
jason carnes and stacy keys 1 hr detective 6
The Hitman 2 hr Little one 2
Little George Marcum (Aug '13) 5 hr Need to know 21
joe ore rat 5 hr i KNOW 1
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 19 hr Spur41 72

Flood Warning for Knox County was issued at March 04 at 5:43PM EST

Barbourville Dating