Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151737 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111960 Aug 29, 2013
The heart produces enzymes when having an attack.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#111961 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> In one sense, I can see that design being brilliant as not leaving such a physical footprint. On the other hand, that same design probably caused more deaths, than a conventional design and reason enough to scrap that design element altogether.
Actually it could also be argued it save 1,000 of lives since its design handled the impacts of a fully fueled large jet plane flying at full speed into them and stood long enough to evacuate the vast majority of people in the buildings...

If a structure such as the Empire State was hit with the same force it very well could have and probably would have sheared off and hit surrounding building on it's way down...

As it was when the State Building was hit by a small low speed empty of fuel bomber in in WW2 time frame there was great concern that it would topple over...

there were an estimate 16,000 to 20,000 people in the Towers below the impact points and normally over 150,000 people passed through the towers daily... over 50,000 people actually worked in the towers but because of the time it happened about 50% had not made it to work at time of first impact... If you take our all the people on the planes you come up with just over 2000 people killed due to the towers falling and the vast majority were above the impact points and had no way to get out as all stairs and elevators were severed... So my take it that it was a Great design that saved 1000's of lives... Until a normal box and frame construction building is hit with a jet doing almost the speed of sound fully loaded with Jet A fuel and a couple hundred people and their baggage we cannot conclude which would be the best design for such conditions...
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111962 Aug 29, 2013
not sure that the heart itself produces the enzymes but that it leaks out of cells during damage occurring while having a heart attack.

Somerset, KY

#111963 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
The heart produces enzymes when having an attack.
It actually produces them all the time but they are released when cells are damaged during an attack or other event that causes cell damage...
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111964 Aug 29, 2013
the enzymes are protein and shows up in the blood cells during attacks. My brother is going thru that right now.

Somerset, KY

#111965 Aug 29, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, "thick" and a lack of understanding.
I understand fully... What part of what I stated was incorrect? You stated that the heart pumped blood, nothing else.. I said it produced Cardiac Enzymes , that's something else... Now I could have mentioned it also has a nerve feedback to the lungs, brain and cardio vascular system that lets the assorted systems change their outputs and control signals to deal with transient conditions but I figured you might have a cardiac episode and stuck with a single simple fact...

Like I said, "Meathead" and wrong at the same time... great combination...

Somerset, KY

#111966 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
not sure that the heart itself produces the enzymes but that it leaks out of cells during damage occurring while having a heart attack.
Cardiac Enzymes are Specific to heart cellular mitosis and as such are produced within the cells structure within the hearts muscle tissue..

Otherwise they would be found in the body as they would have to migrate to the heart to be incorporated within the cells..

Somerset, KY

#111967 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
the enzymes are protein and shows up in the blood cells during attacks. My brother is going thru that right now.
Sorry to hear that.. Give him my best.. My oldest brother died during a heart cath test when he was 27, My other brother had a major heart attack when he was in his 40's and my dad has had 4 open heart surgeries and 5 bypasses... so I have made a point in learning what the pump does...
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111968 Aug 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear that.. Give him my best.. My oldest brother died during a heart cath test when he was 27, My other brother had a major heart attack when he was in his 40's and my dad has had 4 open heart surgeries and 5 bypasses... so I have made a point in learning what the pump does...
Damn Q.. you know what that means.. I hope you don't smoke

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#111969 Aug 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand fully... What part of what I stated was incorrect? You stated that the heart pumped blood, nothing else.. I said it produced Cardiac Enzymes , that's something else... Now I could have mentioned it also has a nerve feedback to the lungs, brain and cardio vascular system that lets the assorted systems change their outputs and control signals to deal with transient conditions but I figured you might have a cardiac episode and stuck with a single simple fact...
Like I said, "Meathead" and wrong at the same time... great combination...
Only a religie has that kind of "special topix understanding". "yes the liar" will be proud of you.

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

#111971 Aug 29, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband has been in the military for four years and is about to move to the officer side. This is a problem for us. We both have decided in the last two years the bible ( which has been fed to us since babies) is ridiculous. We couldn't take care of our family without the military but.... We have become pretty liberal since my husband has watch children die over there that are the same age as our little man. It's easy for people to say we're doing the right things when their family is safe at home and they don't have to see the pain of our bullshit.
During war it is tough for all in the military religious or liberal. I remember when I was Vietnam reading some graffiti while sitting over a honey bucket that war does not decide who's right or wrong only who's left. I never thought I was serving God by being in the military.

You said your husband is moving over to Officer. Does he have a college degree and IQ that qualifies him to do so. What type of degree does he have to qualify him for being a officer? Some go to OCS and other schools that qualify them for Warrant Officer. What branch of the military does he serve in? The VA will help veterans with jobs if they leave the service.

It takes a dedicated and strong willed women to stick by her man in the military and the same applies to your husband. During peace-time things can be better for married ones like military housing living on post with neightbors to mingle similar civilian life.

The religious ones posting on this thread think that the babies really do not die as we may think but go "Bingo" right to heaven. YAA believes that the babies are recycled back into muslim or any country to be born again and maybe killed multiple times and Bingo back to heaven again to be recycled multiple times.

The Mormons "Du what" believes with these murdered or decease babies that Jesus Christ had qualified them for a home to one of the three heavens permanently "Donkey Kong as Q would say" and maybe be a God one day like Jesus.

Somerset, KY

#111972 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Damn Q.. you know what that means.. I hope you don't smoke
Answer me this... in the last 40 years Smoking has dropped by 70% in the US.... If Smoking caused heart disease then why has New Onset of heart disease remained constant and in some populations increased?

Smoking by Woman has dropped by 60% in the last 40 years yet Lung Cancer in women is Up by 3%....

The Only so called smoking related disease that has Went down is Lung Cancer in men but only by 7%

Every other so called Smoking related (New Onset) disease has remained the same or when up as the number of people in the US that smoke has dropped by 70%...

Now Death Rates have dropped but that is due to earlier diagnosis and better treatments but if Smoking was the driving force once claimed then New Onset of those diseases should at least semi parallel the decrease in use...

Somerset, KY

#111973 Aug 29, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Only a religie has that kind of "special topix understanding". "yes the liar" will be proud of you.
Get over yourself... You made a blanket statement and it was wrong.. I only point to the facts of the matter and you cannot dispute those facts with rational argument and fall to calling me "thick"... At that point I figured any rational debate was over and I won so then I reserved the option of poking you with a stick... Your dogmatic adherence to your position and falling to ad hominem attack places you far closer to the religious zealots than I have ever been...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111974 Aug 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>All reliable evidence points toward religious texts as being complete fabrications and what you "know" is wistful delusion. If you find that insulting, think of how your neurons feel about being forced to fire in such perturbed and cockamamie directions. Did you need me to be more or less concise on that in future posts?
What reliable evidence? Please be more concise

Location hidden

#111975 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Well I could say that I read somewhere that the society of LDS men experience erectile disfunction more that other men of different faith.
Go for it.
I'd like to see you explain how they have such large families. Haha

Location hidden

#111976 Aug 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Depends on your definition of god. Christianity defines god as being perfect. There's a lot of logical contradictions in a perfect god that creates imperfect beings, allows them to suffer, and hides his grace behind a veil of mystery. It makes no sense.

And appealing to that "mystery" as if we can't comprehend it is just a way of justifying ANYTHING you want to say about god. It is an evasion of logic. Yet even the most hardcore Christian Fundamentalist still must acknowledge that logic dominates any debate or else you aren't having a debate.

God cannot break the rules of logic, no matter how "perfect".

Anyway, my point is why create flawed creatures that suffer and then sit back out of reach, out of sight, and watch? If that is god, then god is a real bastard isn't he?

Even if you take faith as the answer. Most people do not have faith in your god. Your god is very, very specific. It is a Mormon god. I would argue that is it not the same god worshiped by Baptists or Catholics at all since your theology diverges so radically from the norm.

Yet if you follow your own logic the Mormon god is the real one. And everyone else is mislead.

But on what grounds can you possibly base that assumption except on pure, unrefined, blind faith?
We grow from our trials. We learn and move on and try not to repeat the same mistakes (in most cases). Even non-believers acknowledge this.
We are being prepared for much more than you know now.

I have openly said that I have faith.

Location hidden

#111977 Aug 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Sure.

1887 Edmunds-Tucker Act

"The act disincorporated both the LDS Church and the Perpetual Emigration Fund on the grounds that they fostered polygamy. The act prohibited the practice of polygamy and punished it with a fine of from $500 to $800 and imprisonment of up to five years. It dissolved the corporation of the church and directed the confiscation by the federal government of all church properties valued over a limit of $50,000. The act was enforced by the U.S. Marshal and a host of deputies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmunds%E2%80%93...

In 1890, 3 years later, the Mormon Church leader amazing had a revelation that they should stop practicing polygamy.

Of course they didn't. But by gosh in 1904 they did.

Now don't get me wrong here. I don't really care if you practice polygamy or not and I don't think the government had much business banning it or seizing church property, personally.

But it is funny how the LDS buckled when sh*t got real in the wallet.
It wasn't because of money. The government was prepared to destroy the church by imprisoning all the males practicing polygamy. The revelation was a vision of how the church would be destroyed by demolishing families. This is why they were told to end plural marriage. It was not because of money or Utah's statehood. This is a misconception.

Location hidden

#111978 Aug 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that when I say "god dammit" I am hurting you like I might hurt a child by saying "I hate you"?

Surely you have heard the phrase a few times. And since I am an atheist it really is a meaningless thing for me to say anyway.

I assure you it is harmless.
No, it isn't harmless. It makes many cringe because of the love they have for God. It'd be like someone calling your gramma vulgar names. Yes they are just words, but they would invoke emotions inside you because of the love you have for your gramma.

I personally feel it is the worst thing that could be said in the English language. Be aware, what you feel is harmless, is offensive to others.

Location hidden

#111979 Aug 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>I watched this on t.v. quite some time ago that showed a police officer issueing a ticket to a speeder. When the officer handed the ticket to the driver he began cursing and screaming like a nut, ripped up the ticket in front of the officer and threw in on the ground, all the while still cursing. The police officer, at no point, ever raised his voice and calmly told the driver he would also issue him a ticket for litering if he did not pick up every torn piece of paper he just threw on the ground, which of course the driver did. The officer never advised the driver to refrain from cursing at any time. After the driver picked all the torn pieces up, the Cop told him he was free to go and have a nice day! The irate driver drove off.

My point is... this guy was using profanity in almost every word and yet the cop did nothing...So what do you think would happen?
The liberal use of profanity is not breaking any laws that I'm aware of
Try it. Let us know

Somerset, KY

#111980 Aug 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't harmless. It makes many cringe because of the love they have for God. It'd be like someone calling your gramma vulgar names. Yes they are just words, but they would invoke emotions inside you because of the love you have for your gramma.
I personally feel it is the worst thing that could be said in the English language. Be aware, what you feel is harmless, is offensive to others.
Grandma Dammit doesn't really evoke much emotional response from me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Woman arrested after passing out in car 8 min i aint perfect 9
Will someone loan me $6000? (Apr '11) 36 min Statefarm 39
No regrets 3 hr Your way 6
cheese eating rat on callebs creek 4 hr YourName 6
women 4 hr in the know 2
Advocate puzzle 5 hr Wilchec 2
save alot 5 hr pugilista 22
Older men Younger women 5 hr long cool woman 13
Higher Property Taxes 7 hr Woweee 14

Barbourville Jobs