Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
106,641 - 106,660 of 130,203 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
sarah b

Hinesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>Why is it so ridiculous? Thank you for the compliment. I'm actually shorter with people on here than in person. Mainly because of lack of time on here.
I'm not the smartest person but logically, I feel atheist are the minority but right. We don't know but really if a GOD is so cruel and the people that believe are going to heaven, not trying to be rude but... You curious, so whatever, and the rest are the last people I want to spend eternity with. I know that sounds bad but the things I think are so wrong Christians seem to not care about. You know like everyone in the world, starving children, or the fact that so many people in our own country are hurting. I mean really?, it's the pour single mothers fault our country is messed up but let employees strike against mcds. Then screw them those jobs belong to our kids. Honestly your Jesus would have been a liberal and that fact you don't give a crap about taking care of his land or the starving children in it makes you an ax hole.
sarah b

Hinesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
If you were ever in the military army,marines etc cussing was normal. Getting drunk at the NCO club or EM clubs, chasing tail and training for war.

The movie "Full Metal Jacket" is a good insight for those who never been in the military how drill sargents like R. Lee Ermey will talk to you.

Those filthy Jodie calls are so funny and made marching less boring for us soldiers thanks to guys like R. Lee Ermey .
My husband has been in the military for four years and is about to move to the officer side. This is a problem for us. We both have decided in the last two years the bible ( which has been fed to us since babies) is ridiculous. We couldn't take care of our family without the military but.... We have become pretty liberal since my husband has watch children die over there that are the same age as our little man. It's easy for people to say we're doing the right things when their family is safe at home and they don't have to see the pain of our bullshit.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband has been in the military for four years and is about to move to the officer side. This is a problem for us. We both have decided in the last two years the bible ( which has been fed to us since babies) is ridiculous. We couldn't take care of our family without the military but.... We have become pretty liberal since my husband has watch children die over there that are the same age as our little man. It's easy for people to say we're doing the right things when their family is safe at home and they don't have to see the pain of our bullshit.
I'm ex-Army and my son did his tour in Iraq as a Scout so leave me out of the last line.....

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the topic of the political/religious mix within the military is interesting and kinda scary. The armed forces used to have a broader mix of these ideas but today's military seems to be overwhelmingly religious and conservative, which I think is a terrible mix.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I listen to your tripe, and I do not love you one bit. But thanks for telling us why you conclude it must be love. That is very scientific of you.
So do you teach your kids with this same sort of "love"? Do you call them "tard" when they do stupid things over and over? I just wish to understand if you have double standards.
Oh no...
My kids usually LEARN by the second time, thus...
I don't have to call them anything!
You on the other hand...
I think you are obtuse on purpose!
Having your background in several religions,
Knowing that many people knows that there is a creator, and
your denial of such, and equating Christians with Muslims...
Tard is about the only word I can use!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So Jesus knew the holocaust was coming and he did absolutely nothing to stop it? He supposedly had great power to do something, yet he stood by and let so many millions suffer unimaginably for so many years on end.
Sorry, but I just have consistent standards. I do not worship dishonorable people like this. In fact, I would judge this as a seriously dishonorable act.
Is this what Jews believe?
The ones that read their Bibles...
Know what God told them to do, and the curses they brought upon
themselves!
They (devout Jews) are still looking for the Messiah, and
He's already come!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is born from politics. Thanks for the evidence.
Ya see...
This is just one of your many "Tard" statements!
As you know... the Creator came first, then... the
Government!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Make no law respecting the establishment of religion,please.
, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof!
If we want to preach on public property...
you have no say!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize you were talking about Obama - though given your blank stare obsession with Faux's agendas, I should have. I thought you were talking about Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s sentencing. Don't ask me why - maybe because it is recent and RELEVANT?
Let me get this straight - you call it stupid to think actions are indicative of character, then criticize Obama's character because of his actions. You are completely oblivious to the absurdity of your own statements. BTW, there are good reasons West lost.
No!
I call you stupid... because you are!
What is Fox's agenda anyways???
Let's see...
(1) Good people in Government???
Yep, I can see why we shouldn't have any Wieners in office!
(2) Stop Killing Babies???
Yep...
(3) Cutting down the minority un-wed birth rates, and
thus cutting down the angry children without a clue, as
to how to behave like Humans????
Yep...
(4)... List goes on, but you get the point!

See... we know what you are against... Anything GOOD!
The Real Truth

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof!
If we want to preach on public property...
you have no say!
Thats true, doesnt mean people like me who would gladly protest and mock you on that same property ;)
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

The Real Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of the tea party wanting to defund welfare, schools and medicare :)
Well... THAT is NOT the Real Truth!
Now is it???
Sounds more like one of Obama's lies!
Stop drinking the Koolaid!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
This statement of yours also says volumes...
"our sister church
Is black, and some dang good people! We Love them!"
So blacks don't go to YOUR church?
But you "Love" them as long as they keep to their "own kind?"
Funny thing here....
We're all part of "Christ's" Church, and doesn't matter
what building we enter to worship, or even IF we enter a building at all!
We go to their's, and they come to ours... often!
And... the fact that we all came from one Mother... Eve,
I'd say... you are a Race-baiter too!
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Just don't pretend religious guidelines are based on literal Biblical readings. Why do you need Noah's Ark to be a true story in order to have a guideline that we can also derive from secular ethics, such as "don't hurt people"?
I don't need a story like Noah's to be literally "true" verbatim to derive ethics -Especially they way I have seen some "interpret" here, because Obviously some of Those interpretations vary in great degrees. Being as I am NOT One of those who actually interpret it as if every critter known to man was gathered however, I don't totally discredit the mentioned event either. Obviously a lot of people far, far more scholared than what I will ever be, don't as well. Which is why I Refuse to discredit the GOOD things that can ne found within the pages of the Bible as well, rather than just honing in on the bad, like some sort of diseased and venomous pit viper, just slithering around for prey to swallow into its fanged, poisoned mouth of wretchedness.

Need another example of the type of thing ELECTIVE was referencing?
READ:
I remember the first albatross I ever saw. It was during
a prolonged gale, in waters hard upon the Antarctic seas.
From my forenoon watch below, I ascended to the overclouded deck;
and there, dashed upon the main hatches, I saw a regal, feathery thing
of unspotted whiteness, and with a hooked, Roman bill sublime.
At intervals, it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to
embrace some holy ark. Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it.
Though bodily unharmed, it uttered cries, as some king's ghost
in supernatural distress. Through its inexpressible, strange eyes,
methought I peeped to secrets which took hold of God. As Abraham
before the angels, I bowed myself; the white thing was so white,
its wings so wide, and in those for ever exiled waters, I had
lost the miserable warping memories of traditions and of towns.
Long I gazed at that prodigy of plumage. I cannot tell,
can only hint, the things that darted through me then.
But at last I awoke; and turning, asked a sailor what bird was this.
A goney, he replied. Goney! never had heard that name before;
is it conceivable that this glorious thing is utterly unknown
to men ashore! never!

CHAPTER 42-Captain Ahab on Moby Dick.

Point WAS: Literary comparisons. To any one that can read and comprehend, and not on some medieval witch hunt anyway.

The Whiteness of The Whale
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you walk the sidewalks downtown with a sandwich board that says "the end is near!!!"? We have been hearing this phrase for the past two thousand years. Cry wolf.
If you'd read the Bible... as you've said...
You'd know who you are, AND the Prophecy that points to this
MAJOR event!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>There is more than one possible result in most all cases. Theists do tend to think the superstitious result is the only answer. You would make a horrible scientist or detective.
Whatever you want to believe...
I know what happened!
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you need to understand historical figures in the context of their own times. Darwin, Churchill, Genghis Khan, or whoever it might be.
Darwin was part of the "landed gentry" of his time. An Englishman to the core and a "gentleman of natural philosophy". This was the time when British Empire was at its peak. There was definitely a strong sense of *progress* that the English associated with being white and, in particular, being English. It is absolutely true that most people, Darwin included, assumed that white people were superior to black people. It was a terrible time for social justice no doubt about it.
But what you are probably getting at is the claim that Darwin's theory lead to Social Darwinism and more racism. In fact, that stuff was already there. It is very true that guys like Herbert Spencer saw a progressive idea in Darwin's theory. They saw it as if nature by virtue of god had a plan and that the success of Britain was evidence that the British were at the apex of the plan. I think it was Spencer who coined the phrase "survival of the fittest" because he felt it was more to the point than "natural selection". And it is true that Darwin started using that phrase himself after a few revisions of The Origin of Species.
Darwin was not immune to the hubris of his time. Not at all.
But his theory wasn't about progress or racism. Read his book. Read a variety of books on the history of that time period and Darwin himself. He spend decades working on the idea, making sure it stood up to scientific scrutiny. He created a theory about the way life changes over time that was purely naturalistic in its language and mechanism. He states many times that evolution is not directional.
However, being a person of his own time, he DID often talk as if evolution had a direction. He did make comments and held beliefs that, by our modern sense, makes him sound like a complete racist. By comparison to just about any of us today he certain was a racist. But he was by far not the kind of slobber-mouthed racist you think of when that word is used. He was a gentleman, a total science nerd. He spent his days looking at barnacles and beetles, not telling jokes about black people.
Anyway, my broader point is that history must be viewed in context. That's something often hard to do. I am guilty of judging certain historical figures through a modern eye. Hell, it is not even fair to criticize Bible authors for being ignorant. They couldn't help it. They were working with the best they had. And they produced an epic set of stories, sometimes dreadful to read and sometimes quite lovely. When understood in context, that is.
Have some respect for history. That's all.
And this is how much huMAN kind has advanced (or rather NOT) sometimes.

Lets comapre and contrast your phrase(s) of-

Hell, it is not even fair to criticize Bible authors for being ignorant. They couldn't help it. They were working with the best they had. And they produced an epic set of stories, sometimes dreadful to read and sometimes quite lovely. When understood in context, that is.

And let the SAME thing be said, even though worded somewhat differently, by a Sistuh-and we might have a bunch saying --oh hell no, oh no, that's just utter hubris.

YUP...which proves every time, how even derwood fell short, flawed and merely human, of having "all the answers".
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
It's obvious Mantle has never had a fight in his life.
P.s. Hey mantle, big difference in instigating a fight, and fighting when approached by someone in an aggressive manner...That's what I typed from the beginning if you had sense enough to read what I typed. Sometimes You Have To Fight WHEN you're a MAN.....not to BE a man! By your comments, you've never been successful in any fight you've had, I doubt you've ever had one.
Sista Happened across a couple of thugs like that a time or two as a teenager, minding the own business of, not hurting or harming anyone else.

Sista's philosaphy on that as far as they went was to keep walking---they touch one hair on me or anyone I love-I'd be helping the innocent by cutting the eyeballs out of the ghetto garbage, thug punk azzes that they were acting like.

Just surviving's a biotch sometimes.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
I have absolutely no
Idea what you are saying???? Really, do you think you could try to have a conversation and use sentences we can understand?
Probably not.

You're obviously too mired in the adoloscent simplisTicness of "right/wrong" to be able to understand much of anything that rational adults post.
(see your post that followed the one above as an example)
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the smartest person but logically, I feel atheist are the minority but right. We don't know but really if a GOD is so cruel and the people that believe are going to heaven, not trying to be rude but... You curious, so whatever, and the rest are the last people I want to spend eternity with. I know that sounds bad but the things I think are so wrong Christians seem to not care about. You know like everyone in the world, starving children, or the fact that so many people in our own country are hurting. I mean really?, it's the pour single mothers fault our country is messed up but let employees strike against mcds. Then screw them those jobs belong to our kids. Honestly your Jesus would have been a liberal and that fact you don't give a crap about taking care of his land or the starving children in it makes you an ax hole.
Just in case you Need the PROOF of your own simplisTicness pointed out for you-

See your very first sentence.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No!
I call you stupid... because you are!
What is Fox's agenda anyways???
Let's see...
(1) Good people in Government???
Yep, I can see why we shouldn't have any Wieners in office!
(2) Stop Killing Babies???
Yep...
(3) Cutting down the minority un-wed birth rates, and
thus cutting down the angry children without a clue, as
to how to behave like Humans????
Yep...
(4)... List goes on, but you get the point!
See... we know what you are against... Anything GOOD!
BS, you tiresome little man. You excuse every lie and foible of the Republicans and condemn every breath of a Democrat. You don't stand for anything good, you're just another cheerleader for partisanship.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

73 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Commietator 149,752
kenfra bimgham smith 1 hr old friend 2
Debate: Ferguson - Barbourville, KY 2 hr Brain dead 6
puppet masters of knox co. who are they? 3 hr Brain dead 8
Ronald Stevenson 3 hr stephanie 24
Sheriff deputies 3 hr married women 15
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 8 hr BIG_STEVIE 81,588
•••

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Knox County was issued at August 20 at 4:00PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••