Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,104

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
SistaNoneYABiz

London, KY

#111616 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Sista, You wrote this below
<quoted text>My Jesus let's me be REAL, As in not PHONY.
And that includes laying it back to hypocrite BULLIES.
Shall we review the define of hypocrite again?
I WROTE THIS:
By your own admission "My Jesus" you believe; and in doing so must adhere to his instructions that he has laid out for you to follow!
You have Failed!
Now what you have accomplished is proving your hypocrisy......(the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion)
In order for you to understand this...you must first understand the meaning of hypocrite, and I really don't think you do
NOW!!!..... do you see where I stated that what you have PROVEN is your HYPOCRISY, Now, do you see the statement in parenthesis....That is the definition of HYPOCRISY. Honestly, I'm am growing tired of leading you (by your simpleminded little hand) into the world of comprehension!
Oh and btw-would it like a speshull stuffed obammer doll, with extra sized hands, so you can delusionate even better?
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111617 Aug 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Kentucky has the highest pre-teen pregnancies.
What are you calling pre-teen? 11 and 12? Based on the fact that most girls don't even start their menstrual cycle until 12 years of age, that gives them around 3 mths to get pregnant before turning 13, and that's if their birthday is Jan 1st. I showed the latest study out for 15-19 year olds. Show me the stats on girls younger than that age in Ky. I'm not saying it isn't a problem in every state, but I don't think KY ranks #1 in pre teen, still waiting for your stats.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#111618 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>What are you calling pre-teen? 11 and 12? Based on the fact that most girls don't even start their menstrual cycle until 12 years of age, that gives them around 3 mths to get pregnant before turning 13, and that's if their birthday is Jan 1st. I showed the latest study out for 15-19 year olds. Show me the stats on girls younger than that age in Ky. I'm not saying it isn't a problem in every state, but I don't think KY ranks #1 in pre teen, still waiting for your stats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest...
Amen

Elizabethtown, KY

#111619 Aug 24, 2013
better schools wrote:
<quoted text>
Our kids are not taught scientific facts now but a bunch of lies and our atheistic text books are already shoving their beliefs down our kids throats as it is. I do agree that as far as a class, it should be an elective. But really, what's wrong with a moral devotion in the mornings to get the day started and give them something to think about from time to time. Statistics are proven that school crime rates were very much lower before prayer and the Bible were removed from schools, and any dummy knows that.
Amen to that! The country was started by the Christian faith and is the basis of this whole country, of course it should be taught in school!!! History 101
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111620 Aug 24, 2013
27 girls in the USA from the year 2009 back to 1908 that were under 12 and of those many were raped. Never said it never happens, by some of that data, one girl began her cycle at 12 months. Which is rare to say the least. I want Joe Dirt to show me his stats that prove KY ranks #1 in pre teen pregnancy. For the record.. none of the 27 girls listed were from KY, which is not an up to date record.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111621 Aug 24, 2013
That data was collected from National Center for Health Statistics; 2009 at that time it shows KY to have 51-64 TEEN births per thousand... Teen birth meaning 15-19 years. I can't find any current stats on PRE TEEN BIRTHS for any state.
The Real Truth

Panther, WV

#111622 Aug 25, 2013
Red wrote:
Put prayer back in schools!
Prayer never left school, it juat cant be lead by faculity. Students can still pray and do other religious activites among themselves.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111623 Aug 25, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Glen A. Larson a member of the Mormon Church and his movie Battle Star Galactica had its share of profanity and sex in it. I guess when its comes to money the LDS members may differ on the way profanity may be used.
When it comes to money the LDS would sell the bones of Joey Smith. You know the main reason the LDS stopped encouraging polygamy? The Federal government threatened to take their money. Actually, they did take a lot of it. Not that I agree that was right or necessary but that seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Revelation be damned.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111624 Aug 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say this, you are calling on The Lord and asking Him to damn something. This is one way of taking His name in vain. There is another as well.
There is a rabbinical interpretation of the commandment that parallels this, yet we have several examples in the Bible (and "Lord knows" how many in history and everyday life) in which it seems perfectly fine and just to call on God to smite one's enemies - forever and ever, Amen.
For myself, I use the phrase with different meanings. Naturally, I'm not "calling on The Lord" to do something any more than I would call on A Chair to drive a car or The House Cat to pick up groceries. Do you prefer that I say "Odin damn it" or "Zeus damned?" Just doesn't have the same ring or impact.
On the rare occasion that I might say something like "half of Apologist writings are God damned lies" I'm emphasizing the practice of dishonesty which your god already condemns. Other examples might be, "That God damned perverted child molester. Those God damned deceiving cult leaders. The God damned greedy bankers." I'm not petitioning your god to do something that he has supposedly already done by policy.
If I hit my thumb with a hammer and say "God dammit" I don't mean "condemn thee hammer and thee nail to thy lake of fire for eternity" - just as if I tell you to "go fly a kite" it doesn't mean I literally want you to "go fly a kite."
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#111625 Aug 25, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>What are you calling pre-teen? 11 and 12? Based on the fact that most girls don't even start their menstrual cycle until 12 years of age, that gives them around 3 mths to get pregnant before turning 13, and that's if their birthday is Jan 1st. I showed the latest study out for 15-19 year olds. Show me the stats on girls younger than that age in Ky. I'm not saying it isn't a problem in every state, but I don't think KY ranks #1 in pre teen, still waiting for your stats.
I saw another one the other day, "expecting" in less than two months- MAYBE 14....waiting for her "counterpart" to take his driving permit test, for the First time.
Hope the kid got it.
Imagine it'll be rather difficult to feed and care for a little one, neither one old enough to even be able to drive legally yet.
More signs of the times of one step forward..ten steps backwards.

I'd like to see some stats myself, With ratio comparisons, total state population count in comparison to teenage pregnancies. Think some of the charts might read a little different then.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111627 Aug 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No no. The entire Old Testament tells us what is going to change when the Son of God comes. The New Testament is the story of the coming of the Son of God.
examples of a stopped clock being right twice a day:
"No no." (spelling error there - should read "No know.")
and:
"The New Testament is the story..."

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111628 Aug 25, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Glen A. Larson a member of the Mormon Church and his movie Battle Star Galactica had its share of profanity and sex in it. I guess when its comes to money the LDS members may differ on the way profanity may be used.
"Special dispensation" "Artistic license"
Battlestar Galactica was rubbish from the start, but I suppose people who believe in the BOM have no problem with Ben Cartwright as a space admiral.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111629 Aug 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong with cleaning up potty mouths. I'm picturing the Orbitz gum commercial right now.
There is nothing wrong with cleaning up potty mouths. If used at all, obscenities and epithets should be carefully rationed seasonings, not a heaping staple. It seems to me that crass ignorance is (and certainly should not be) glorified in the media, but industry execs know that it's easiest to sell to the lowest denominator. 2,000 years - Proof beyond any doubt.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111630 Aug 25, 2013
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89_... closest data I could find that is the most current... and again it's not based on pre-teen, but 15-19 yr. olds. The break-down stats focus on the difference of 2007 - 2010.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111631 Aug 25, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok , Then Quantummist is the racist for hating our Black president.
I did not know that about Q.
We can then add that to the list of his many faults and imperfections.
He is one self aggrandizing self righteous individual.
Can you imagine the gall of the man.
Claims that he can live in the woods for a year with nothing other than a Bowie knife and come out wearing a bearskin coat and snakehide boots .
I rather believe that after the rattlers got through with him , he'd serve as a Thanksgiving dinner for a hungry grizzly.
Then he tells us what a great job he has done on various motorcycles , sends out videods of these for those who are nary interested to see.
Then ,waits for some twit to post him back and tell him what a great job he has done.
Then , he advices us that we should ride around in our motorcycles shouting , look ma , no hands.
Now, why would a person cruise down the highway in a motorcycle without his hands on the handle bars, other than to attract attention to himself.
To me , that would be an irresponsible and dishonorable act , based on an oversized ego and a miniscule mind.
What say ye?
Don't be afraid , i got your back....
So you automatically assume those that hate Obama are racists? Obviously some Obama haters are racists, but of course not all are. Just as some who tell racist jokes are racists and some are not.
Is this really to complicated for you to comprehend?
Everything is not black and white.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111632 Aug 25, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You did miss the point a bit... I never said it was Dishonorable to do something for personal gain.. I said doing such for personal gain does not make a person a Honorable person...
And I agree doing good for what ever reason is good... Doing good then making some altruistic claim for the act does not denote the person as honorable...
I also agree the vast majority of good humans do they do for self, Greed feeds the masses, charity feeds few.... What I was pointing to was that so many wish to lay claim to some unique quality because of some religious balderdash and will not admit to self aggrandizement as the driving force of their actions...
Honor is not the act, it's the action and intent... As I said one can do the Honorable thing and in doing so does not make one Honorable... It also does not make one Dishonorable either...
Sounds like in a round about way, you are saying that, claiming altruism is the more dishonorable thing?

Most people have no idea what makes their mind tick or how the brain works. So most would not really know the true reasons for their actions. What the brain does is not the same as what the conscience mind is thinking.
At this point in my understanding of the human brain, I conclude we likely do nothing purely altruistic. I think humans are on autopilot most of the time, even when we consciously act.
It is clear, humans nor animals need, to consciously think about most all actions. And even when we are consciously thinking about the actions, we are not thinking about all the reasons for those actions.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111633 Aug 25, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I stand corrected. You do not hate our president because he is black . You hate his policies which to me , are meant to help the less fortunate and the struggling middle class.
Would I be correct in assuming that those of our citizens who fall into that catergory are the ones you do not like.
Bragging about events that you can not prove seems to be a form of self aggrandizement....Dishonorable trait , according to some.
That is spoken like a true Atheist/ Evolutionist.
And I say that , based on the following article.
“With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilised men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination; we build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed, and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilised societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly any one is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.”
—Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man
Well this brings up an interesting subject.
First, please remember Darwin was no god, nor do atheists follow Darwin as if all his ideas were correct. He had a few things correct and many things wrong. Just as anyone who is in the infancy of discovery. And on this subject, I am sure their is no black and white conclusion even on this day.

Now lets talk about this subject.
What Darwin may have not taken into consideration is the idea that physical perfection is an unattainable possibility for humans or any animal. So striving to weed out the physically weak is a futile effort. It also lacks the understanding that even disabled humans of all sorts can be a contribution to society in ways most never consider.
What is good for the society can be good for you in ways that are so indirect, we tend to forget and lack appreciation for them.

Darwin's idea here also lacks the new knowledge man has about genes passing on to the offspring. Not all bad traits are passed on. And I use the word "bad" loosely.

Darwin was a thinker. He brought up ideas. We as a society must sort through all sorts of ideas. No one has all perfect ideas, not even Jesus. Blindly following another persons ideas is dangerous.
As in the case of Hitler, he blindly followed the idea presented here without regard. He assumed the Aryan race was the more perfect. He assumed all sorts of things. He attempted to create a Utopia by any means necessary. Kind of like the idea of flooding the world of but one good family and expecting this to purify the world of bad. It just does not work this way.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111634 Aug 25, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL You got me convinced. I will remember that and, in case I ever run into you ,if you give me any lip , I will unscrew your head and reattach it to your belly button . LOL
In an aside , I am not a 90 lb. weakling . You got me confused with the guy in the Charles Atlas add.
You know " the before" I am "The after" 55 lbs. of sheer dynamite.
So you go far beyond taking an eye for an eye?
According to your threat here, you will take a life for a lippy attitude.

It is thought that the "eye for an eye" philosophy in the bible came due to men going overboard and killing due to lippy people and such.
The eye for an eye just kept things a bit more reasonable.
Jesus came along and went to far the other direction. Telling you to turn the other cheek. You clearly realize this is to far to the left, so you ignore the Jesus and use your own mind.

Sadly the religion you follow has confused your ability build a rational philosophy.
It is my opinion, religion stifles the thinking and building of philosophy, in lieu of blindly following orders.

This is one of the many reasons I feel religion is harmful.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111635 Aug 25, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a personal problem-of your own.
I do believe there was once a being that existed, known in the Bible, as Jesus, in basic human form.
Just like Solomon, David, and a lot of others through out history.
And that definition was:
1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion.
No "assumption" to it...except on your part.
Is there something you do not like about The Golden Rule?
It's a fairly simple rule to try and live by.
I know you hate pointing out just what it is you believe in a religious sense. This is not prevent you from making hypocritical statements on a regular basis.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111636 Aug 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a rabbinical interpretation of the commandment that parallels this, yet we have several examples in the Bible (and "Lord knows" how many in history and everyday life) in which it seems perfectly fine and just to call on God to smite one's enemies - forever and ever, Amen.
For myself, I use the phrase with different meanings. Naturally, I'm not "calling on The Lord" to do something any more than I would call on A Chair to drive a car or The House Cat to pick up groceries. Do you prefer that I say "Odin damn it" or "Zeus damned?" Just doesn't have the same ring or impact.
On the rare occasion that I might say something like "half of Apologist writings are God damned lies" I'm emphasizing the practice of dishonesty which your god already condemns. Other examples might be, "That God damned perverted child molester. Those God damned deceiving cult leaders. The God damned greedy bankers." I'm not petitioning your god to do something that he has supposedly already done by policy.
If I hit my thumb with a hammer and say "God dammit" I don't mean "condemn thee hammer and thee nail to thy lake of fire for eternity" - just as if I tell you to "go fly a kite" it doesn't mean I literally want you to "go fly a kite."
Bingo. I totally agree. When I say god dammit I am IN NO WAY referring to any deity at all. It is merely an expression of emotion in the moment, or it is an emphasis on just how obscene or terrible something is (god damned child rapist), or I'm just ribbing someone (;-)).

Words and phrases of that nature have a long history in our society. Their power comes from their scandalous nature. Even today when certain words can be heard on prime time TV it is still not acceptable to go around uttering them all the time. They still have power. I suspect they always will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Ari son of Anarchy 155,234
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 17 min hate lying politi... 6,933
Davis Boys Dead (Nov '13) 1 hr dizzyone1313 9
davis drug (Mar '10) 1 hr dizzyone1313 18
wyt wizard and strawberry (Jan '10) 2 hr 777ITSMEEEEEE 6
anything 2 hr hater 1
Shirley Black from Flat Lick & Barbourville Area 3 hr run away fsst 2
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info