Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 143069 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111788 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great info. But I said preteen.
I have a problem with people posting things w/out proof to collaborate their statement. You are not sure of the year it was in the paper, and you don't know the sources the paper was using as proof? Did the paper specify what their definition of pre-teen was? According to the study Q posted, that age could mean from 12 mths up to 12 years....So you see now why I question what you posted?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111789 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were protected from every bad thing that could ever happen, what would we be like? I would think we would take everything good for granted and just expect it all the time. I think you have to know the bad to appreciate the good.
I think the analogy works very well. I think it closely parallels.
Ah, yet another excuse for your absentee god.
I need no child to die for no apparent reason in order for me to know bad or appreciate life.
I do not expect to be protected by a god, and clearly no god is protecting anyway.
Life is just like no god exists.

There is suffering and there is insane suffering. Do we really need the insane suffering going on constantly just to remind us how wonderful we have it?
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111790 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I read it in the paper about 2 years ago. It said Pulaski was the highest in the state. And since the US reports the highest in the world, that means Pulaski has the highest rate in the world.
Who knows, maybe it was a scare tactic, but every time my wife and I are in the maternity section, we see it first hand.
Not necessarily (joe) I see now whatcha saying... Ok first,... Pulaski could have been higest in the STATE of KENTUCKY but not when compared to the NATION'S AVERAGE..

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111791 Aug 27, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>What are you calling pre-teen? 11 and 12? Based on the fact that most girls don't even start their menstrual cycle until 12 years of age, that gives them around 3 mths to get pregnant before turning 13, and that's if their birthday is Jan 1st. I showed the latest study out for 15-19 year olds. Show me the stats on girls younger than that age in Ky. I'm not saying it isn't a problem in every state, but I don't think KY ranks #1 in pre teen, still waiting for your stats.
Sorry, but I don't have that newspaper anymore.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111792 Aug 27, 2013
Shoot I meant highest As in Counties in KY but not KENTUCKY being higest
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111793 Aug 27, 2013
someone slap me...I'm beginning to sound like sista

It's a joke sista, dontcha go gettin all bent outa shape.

Location hidden

#111794 Aug 27, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
27 girls in the USA from the year 2009 back to 1908 that were under 12 and of those many were raped. Never said it never happens, by some of that data, one girl began her cycle at 12 months. Which is rare to say the least. I want Joe Dirt to show me his stats that prove KY ranks #1 in pre teen pregnancy. For the record.. none of the 27 girls listed were from KY, which is not an up to date record.
Really. I moved in to my house. Got a newspaper because the last home owner subscribed, read it, and told my wife, and then threw it away while saying wow!

That was the extent of my research on this.

Location hidden

#111795 Aug 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>When it comes to money the LDS would sell the bones of Joey Smith. You know the main reason the LDS stopped encouraging polygamy? The Federal government threatened to take their money. Actually, they did take a lot of it. Not that I agree that was right or necessary but that seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Revelation be damned.
Please support your claim

Location hidden

#111796 Aug 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>examples of a stopped clock being right twice a day:
"No no." (spelling error there - should read "No know.")
and:
"The New Testament is the story..."
Do you have a point? If so, I missed it other than to weakly insult.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111797 Aug 27, 2013
Well that's just great JOe...you "black eye" our lil state by saying our pre teen girls are doing more than pretending to play house, then say, well I don't have that paper anymore. How am I to defend our lil angels now? I'm gonna hafta make a trip to the Library and research their newspaper archives. Demmitt
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111798 Aug 27, 2013
I do agree , it is a problem in every state, I guess I'm just wishful thinking that KY isn't highest in pre teen or teen.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111799 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were protected from every bad thing that could ever happen, what would we be like? I would think we would take everything good for granted and just expect it all the time. I think you have to know the bad to appreciate the good.
I think the analogy works very well. I think it closely parallels.
So Yiago's brother had to die young in order to appreciate any good in the world?
Sorry but your excuses are barbaric.
By your reasoning, no one will appreciate anything in that Utopian heaven.

Location hidden

#111800 Aug 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo. I totally agree. When I say god dammit I am IN NO WAY referring to any deity at all. It is merely an expression of emotion in the moment, or it is an emphasis on just how obscene or terrible something is (god damned child rapist), or I'm just ribbing someone (;-)).

Words and phrases of that nature have a long history in our society. Their power comes from their scandalous nature. Even today when certain words can be heard on prime time TV it is still not acceptable to go around uttering them all the time. They still have power. I suspect they always will.
This is rationalization.
With this mentality is along the lines of the different meanings of the words I hate you.

Think about the difference between you saying to your child with a sober tone "I hate you", and a teenage girl in her best valley girl voice "you have pink nail polish too? I hate you" giggle giggle.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111801 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Please support your claim
Back The Fac UP Joe.... That statement coming from YOU???

Now that's damn hilarious!!!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111802 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a point? If so, I missed it other than to weakly insult.
All reliable evidence points toward religious texts as being complete fabrications and what you "know" is wistful delusion. If you find that insulting, think of how your neurons feel about being forced to fire in such perturbed and cockamamie directions. Did you need me to be more or less concise on that in future posts?
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111803 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Really. I moved in to my house. Got a newspaper because the last home owner subscribed, read it, and told my wife, and then threw it away while saying wow!
That was the extent of my research on this.
Well I could say that I read somewhere that the society of LDS men experience erectile disfunction more that other men of different faith.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111804 Aug 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And this is a great example of what you "think" you "know". All evidence shows you were not shot in the head TWICE and yet you insist you know otherwise.
Your stories are textbook delusions and false perceptions. We should send you down to the universities for live examples of how the mind can play tricks upon a person.
Next you will be telling is a god spoke to you.
He's already said that ... Remember, He said god told him Obama was the Anti-Christ.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111805 Aug 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh no...
My kids usually LEARN by the second time, thus...
I don't have to call them anything!
You on the other hand...
I think you are obtuse on purpose!
Having your background in several religions,
Knowing that many people knows that there is a creator, and
your denial of such, and equating Christians with Muslims...
Tard is about the only word I can use!
Many people "believe" in this supposed creator, just as many people once believed in Zeus, but clearly the majority did not make it true then, so why would it now?
Muslims believe in a creator on an equal manner as Christians.
You are simply calling someone a tard because they do not agree with you. It has nothing to do with learning.

Location hidden

#111806 Aug 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>That is a great question, I only wish it had an easy answer, but I will try.
The outsiders test is something that must be taken with every religious belief you have. With every religious philosophy you follow. And certainly with every idea that has no physical evidence.
There are several ways to take the test. One is to imagine yourself as a believer of an opposing religion, or opposing philosophical view. In other words, be critical to your own views. Scrutinize them with the same standards you use to oppose other beliefs.

This is why I oppose any "faith". The faith itself seems to be something that demands a person forgo doubting. If you forgo ability to doubt in an absolute manner, their is no way to critically scrutinize your own beliefs.

This is why I like science. Science embraces and demands constant scrutiny of all claims. It is a never ending process that never rests upon it laurels. Seems to me religion does nothing but rest upon its laurels.

I have specifically pointed out many instances where you refused to take the outsiders test. So the examples should have been noted there, but I will give an example now.
I could ask how you refuse to believe Mohammed was a prophet, for example. Do you use the same standards to scrutinize Mohammed and the claims of the Koran as you do the bible and Jesus?
Keep in mind, if you change the standards, you are throwing a giant monkey wrench in the thought experiment.
This is why I keep honing in on the double standards of the bible.

Feel free to ask for elaborations if I have been unclear.

Keep in mind, the outsiders test takes practice. It takes deep thought sometimes. The deeper the thought the more complete the experiment. The test is never really complete, if you follow the rules of science.

I find posting on topix helps me take my own outsiders test. And believe it or not, I do find I am wrong about some things and I change my views accordingly.
I backed away from almost everything I believed at one time and investigated tons of different religions as open minded as I knew how. I sought truth for years. I'm not opposed to challenging my own beliefs and have done so several times. And I don't always find every answer that I seek. Of course my current religion has origins that are newer than most so it is easy to find concerns. Some have quick answers, some have unsettling answers, and some have no straightforward answer. But faith is not science. I don't expect there to be a test with data filled conclusions for everything. The Holy Ghost does exist and one of His main purposes is to bring us peace when we need it. Another purpose is to confirm God's gospel truths. Once I decided to study the doctrine of the LDS church, I did not find what I expected to find. Having my mind made up that it was a cult, I had no intentions of this investigation taking long at all. Instead I found answers that made sense that filled in the gaps that I thought existed in the Biblical interpretations of other denominations. I found that the Spirit was strong when I pressed to learn more. To make a long story short, I still did not want to join the church because of what I had always heard, and because my family thoroughly disapproved.
I do feel like I took what you call an outsiders test. Including researching Islam. So I answer based on what I have learned and experienced. I am firm in my faith, as you should expect by now, so maybe my answers appear that I am closed off to other suggestions. But that is not the case. So though I can't always answer everything that challenges my religion, or sometimes things look bad in the church's history, that doesn't change that the doctrine I believe in has proven itself much closer to what I think God intended, than anything else I have studied.

Location hidden

#111807 Aug 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, and I can agree the GD word serves no purpose here that is useful in the debate, and thus is pointless to be added. Many of the insulting things you have claimed of me are different though. They are not pointless words. They are really just opposing views. Opposing views often seem harsh. I at least attempt to make a effort to make a point with all my words. Many times I delete the last sentence of a post. If I proofread the post, I find that last sentence gets a bit unnecessary and often is overboard offensive.
I often do not proofread my posts, so I am not claiming some of my sentences are not unnecessarily offensive.
I am sure we could all use some more control and practice deleting the last sentence that is over the top.

Feel free at anytime to question the point of making an offensive statement.
I'm pretty good at picking out insults from a point. Maybe you can elaborate on a point you made that I considered offensive

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wet Vote Petition 47 min Nimbletwig 18
Dear Ms Tilton......................... 55 min Nimbletwig 1
creek mart scandal 1 hr trucker 2
Who's had Curt brown 3 hr Pam 37
Is judge ex Jm hall going to prison ? 4 hr Customer 9
kink 4 hr Darren west 5
Will the federal grand jury indit Jm hall 4 hr Knox voter 1
walmart shooting 7 hr uknow 17
Shooting at Walmart??? 11 hr Nimbletwig 40
More from around the web