Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 172932 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111588 Aug 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
1. When Joseph was around 9 or 10 he thought you could find buried Spanish treasure by the use of seer stones. This was a common wish back then. And this practice was mind of like water witching (which people still do today). I can't really fault a kid at that age for believing something like that. Heck I thought/hoped some cars really could transform when I was that age.
2. No matter what you call the language the BOM was written in, it is still very possible that a civilization existed and had their own writing style that we haven't even discovered yet. So this could have happened too. We can't prove it either way. Their explanation in the BOM was that they modified the writing style of their forefathers, who knew Hebrew and Egyptian. Why would Joseph have a reason to fabricate that part if he didn't have real plates? If he didn't have real plates, then he knew no one would see them to question him. Instead, he was allowed to show them to several people who verified their existence. Professor Anthon in New York also verified their authenticity and later retracted his signed verification once he found out how they received the plates. This fulfilled a scripture in Isaiah by the way. The papyri that Joseph translated was lost. We only have the other scrolls that were purchased when he bought the mummies and papyri. I have explained this one before too.
3. The Urim and Thummim are spoken of in the OT. Please google.
4. Gentiles basically meant everyone that wasn't Jewish. So you're kinda right. I'm sure He went to several groups of people. I hope we find those records one day. I see you resorted back to insult again. I question your maturity and sincerity when you do this.
1. But Smith's family practiced things like water dousing. I can accept that they believed it actually worked, due to the power of the ideomotor effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenom...

I totally agree that as a child it is fantastic to think of things as magic. I would never question whether Smith or anyone else was being a fraud as a child.

His family engaged in these activities which, in my opinion, are fraudulent. But I'll back off that language and say instead they engaged in magic.

2. You are doing cartwheels to rationalize this belief. Notice your language, which is typical of conspiracy theory advocates and apologists: "Why would Smith...etc." Asking questions that divert us from the bigger picture, questions that are not very rational to begin with.

Smith was a Bible fan. He had been since childhood. He knew full well the stories of Hebrews coming out of Egypt. It makes perfect sense that he would invent his BoM in some form of Egyptian for a number of reasons. First, that he was in fact a fan of the OT's stories and knew them pretty well. Second, that at that time nobody could translate Egyptian. So it was a fairly safe bet he could get by with it.

So what happened to these plates? Can we investigate them today? Is there a reliable photo of them? Who outside of the LDS saw them and wrote about it?

3. I don't care if magic rocks are in the Bible. I don't understand your reason for bringing that up over and over. Smith believed in magic rocks NOT JUST as a matter of them being in the Bible, but he though he had magic rocks and could use them. And you believe he could. That's not rational.

There are unicorns and dragons mentioned in the Bible. If Smith claimed a unicorn talked to him you'd be rationalizing that too, right?

4. The Bible was written for and by people of a particular region. I'm quite sure no one in that book knew about or was referencing Native Americans, including Jesus. This is an irrational Mormon teaching that you guys spend a ton of energy trying to justify. I Googled the Biblical passage referring to other flocks and 9 out of 10 results were specifically Mormon! lol

And I thought Poccahontis joke was funny. You prefer Sitting Bull?
TheIndependentMa jority

Brodhead, KY

#111589 Aug 24, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you completely.
I am good at avoiding fights , not instigating them .
Turnig the other cheek is a very effective spiritual method that I have practiced.
Lodi and some of the other atheists are bound and determined , while under the influence of their human nature ,to try and neagate
the teachings of OUR LORD.
I merely wanted to point out to him that by following the urges of your human nature ,lookig for trouble , playing the bully role due to your size and strength can lead to someone not turning the other cheek and laying you out on the concrete.
Been there, done that ,seen it happen.
One of the many reasons for which I am thankful that Christ came into my life .
That type of behaviour is no longer part of my life.
As adept as I was in my youth at getting into trouble ,I have now become much more adept at avoiding it
Do you need a SANELY constructive (NOT destructive) to do list too?

lol

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111590 Aug 24, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to be a really good person. If more people practiced their beliefs as well as you do I would not be so worried about religion. It's ashamed you believe something so ridiculous. I'm not sure something made us but I'm sure none of us know what or who and its not in any book a human wrote.
Why is it so ridiculous? Thank you for the compliment. I'm actually shorter with people on here than in person. Mainly because of lack of time on here.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111591 Aug 24, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't list any definition except the one I had quoted form MW. and then he misquoted it incorrectly.
So stop being Duplicitous.
WTH is it with some you and that duplicity anyway.
Don't you have some samiches to make and HELP out with the workload? Are your clothes picked up off the floors? Dishes that you used washed? Counters you mucked up etc cleaned? And while your at it, could you please at LEAST scrub up some of those eyesore spots that your muddy feet have drug in from stomping through the woods hunting bearskins, and would be so kind as to not leave the remains of such romps strewed about all over the place? Have you fixed the autopump yet in the wooden bath barell? Do you need anymore on this extended list of "things to do"? It's just sooooooo easy to make such hayseed strawboss lists lol.
It's obvious you can't use a dictionary:
Definition of HYPOCRISY

1. Definition of Hypocrisy

: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion. Oh and just for your convenience... Feigning means PRETEND or PRETENDING.

Location hidden

#111592 Aug 24, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure there isn't something or someone out there that created us but I'm sure it's not in any of your books written by man. So do you think GOD decided well maybe I should change things and make it more modern. Lets make a "NEW" testament. Really? We should believe this with blind faith but not believe jim jones or west whatever church?
No no. The entire Old Testament tells us what is going to change when the Son of God comes. The New Testament is the story of the coming of the Son of God.

Location hidden

#111593 Aug 24, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>"Tex. Penal Code Ann.§§ 42.01(a)(1), 49.02(a)(West Supp. 2007) concerning disorderly conduct -- this law was referenced by someone else on another message board so I can't claim to have looked it up. The statute states: the statute provides:“a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place”
Thanks

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111594 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me put it to you bluntly Michael.
If you believe you have a license that permits you to arbitrarily slap me without fear of retribution , simply because I am a Christian , you have another thing coming.
After the second slap I will warn you not to do that again.
Now , youj have been warned . Proceed at your own risk.
One more slap and I will most definitely introduce my knuckles to your face.
You sound like the school yard bully most of us are familiar with.
with me , I will permit you 2 free slaps , then a warning.
If you feel big and bad enough to strike me again , because of your arrogance and pride,,, Then you should remember that pride comes before the fall...
And you will surely fall Because I will knoch=k you on your butt.
afterwards we can become friends ,,, but the nonsense will stop
And that pertains not to you personally ,but to anyone to whom it may apply.
Christ did not say at anytime that those who believe in him should become punching bags for unbelievers...
You guys don't believe in God , but continue searching for him.
You don't believe or understand his teachings and based on your misinterpretation expect others to adhere to those rules that you do not understand..
Practice what you preach.
If you don't believe that which you preach, then, don't preach it
Tell us again how you gonna poke us in the eye, and go running and screaming like a lil bich!
This is your definition of street fighting?
laughing my azz off. Are you trying to be funny, or are you really this stupid?
C'mon dude, seriously....It's now clear to me the physical "smack down" is gonna be just as easy as the verbal "smack down" that I've been handing you since you birthed the 'mantle' moniker.
Perhaps you should've came in with the moniker of 'mentalpause' instead eh
The only smack down you've ever had was at your birth.
The doctor looked at your AZZ ,looked at your face ,smacked them both and told your mother she had twins.
As a matter of fact ,there is very little doubt in my mind that as a result of these postings you've had to change your soiled underwear at least 3 times.
That is street Slang for"He so scared he chiet his pants.

In an aside ; Do you still rely on your sisters help when you feel threatened by someone smaller and weaker than you, Or do you just call out for your mama? Jsut asking....

Location hidden

#111595 Aug 24, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>The problem with analogies is that they don't reflect reality in anything other than a superficial way. For instance, why would anyone cuss a cop? The analogy breaks down there because this is a casual forum and being pulled over is NOT a casual forum.

Its true that "profanity" is against the forum rules, though. Dammit, you are right.

So about this creator fella...

Use your thinin' brain for a minute and shut off your believin' brain. Picture a universe with an all powerful creator. Not this one, but some other universe. If it had an all powerful creator that loved his creations would you expect that creator to be fairly clear and accessible to those creations? Or would you expect him to be invisible, distant, unresponsive, and communicate through a mishmash of ancient anecdotes? Would you expect him to create his people as flawed and powerless, relying entirely on faith to even have a hope of finding him? Would you expect him to let most of them be born in such a way that they will probably never find him, even in that tenuous "faith" sense?

I think this line of argument probably makes sense to you because you're not an idiot. But the problem is you've been duped into thinking that these types of arguments are a test of faith, analogous (or identical to) the devil trying to trick you.

But isn't it weird that god would give you such a profound sense of reason, a sense that has enabled humanity to cure terrible diseases and go to the moon...but punish you for using it?
Ok. You walk into a restaurant while the cop is eating, then cuss at him. Is that better.
I like analogies. It's the only time I can try to be halfway funny on here.

Think of things this way. We prepare our kids to live in this world and then at some point we become way less hands on and they become more self reliant. Of course there are way too many exceptions to this scenario, but humor me here. It is our job as parents to prepare our kids for the time when they will be self reliant.
This is what this experience is for. We prepared in many ways before we came here. We learned things and grew in knowledge. This is our preparation to become more self reliant. He knew sin would enter the world and then He could no longer be with us physically. But He made ways to communicate with Him. His Son and Holy Spirit allow us to communicate with Him. But we are being prepared to be out on our own at some point. And in that point of our existence, we will have physical contact with Him again, so we can see His face and hug His neck, similar to how we can with our parents on earth.

Location hidden

#111596 Aug 24, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Texas seems to be in competition with Mississippi for the dumbest possible socially conservative voting blocks. But I'm sure Mississippi is still ahead in the race for most pregnant Christian teens.
Kentucky has the highest pre-teen pregnancies.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111597 Aug 24, 2013

Sista, You wrote this below
<quoted text>My Jesus let's me be REAL, As in not PHONY.
And that includes laying it back to hypocrite BULLIES.
Shall we review the define of hypocrite again?
I WROTE THIS:
By your own admission "My Jesus" you believe; and in doing so must adhere to his instructions that he has laid out for you to follow!
You have Failed!
Now what you have accomplished is proving your hypocrisy......(the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion)
In order for you to understand this...you must first understand the meaning of hypocrite, and I really don't think you do

NOW!!!..... do you see where I stated that what you have PROVEN is your HYPOCRISY, Now, do you see the statement in parenthesis....That is the definition of HYPOCRISY. Honestly, I'm am growing tired of leading you (by your simpleminded little hand) into the world of comprehension!

Location hidden

#111598 Aug 24, 2013
BillCooperWasRight wrote:
Here We Go Again With Those Damn Censorship Custodians!

;)
Nothing wrong with cleaning up potty mouths. I'm picturing the Orbitz gum commercial right now.

Location hidden

#111600 Aug 24, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>The PMRC called. They want you to come back to 1985 and help them out. lol

I don't let my kids get exposed to "bad" things if I can help it. But its a shared world and I can't dictate what everyone else wants to put out there. If they encounter something inappropriate for their age level I explain why it is inappropriate, make them understand that they aren't allowed to view it or listen to it, and move on. The key is to not make a big-a$$ deal out of it.
If you choose to think these things had no effect on society, that's ok. Your choice. And if you choose to think that you are powerless to change anything, then you will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm glad you at least try to teach your kids what's right and wrong, and appropriate or not, but remember your example speaks louder than your lectures.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111601 Aug 24, 2013
Mantle wrote:
In an aside ; Do you still rely on your sisters help when you feel threatened by someone smaller and weaker than you, Or do you just call out for your mama? Jsut asking....

LOL That coming from someone who's gonna poke me in the eye in a street fight....hahhahahahahahaha
I swear, that's the best laugh I've had in quite some time!
Let me guess, since you're bringing your momma and sissa into the conversation, I'm betting that's who tole you that eye poking was street fighting.
let me guess, your mom's nickname is 'Curly' and your sister is 'Moe'?
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111602 Aug 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you getting your stats? Cause I don't think so

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#111603 Aug 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That's only because 12 years old gurls generally can't outrun their brothers....

The ones that can we call Virgins.... ;)

(Yes it's a joke so lighten up)
Red

United States

#111604 Aug 24, 2013
Put prayer back in schools!
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111605 Aug 24, 2013
Published: 02/25/2013 03:05 PM EST on LiveScience

Teen pregnancy rates are highest in New Mexico and lowest in New Hampshire, according to a new report on the most current state-level data on pregnancy, birthrates and abortions among 15- to 19-year-olds.

Here you go scooter (Joe Dirt)

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#111606 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Published: 02/25/2013 03:05 PM EST on LiveScience
Teen pregnancy rates are highest in New Mexico and lowest in New Hampshire, according to a new report on the most current state-level data on pregnancy, birthrates and abortions among 15- to 19-year-olds.
Here you go scooter (Joe Dirt)
Guess you missed where he said Pre-Teen huh.....
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#111607 Aug 24, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you missed where he said Pre-Teen huh.....
No I didn't miss that point.
I asked him to provide where he got his stats?

As I said I don't think Ky ranks #1 in Pre Teen either

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111608 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Mantle wrote:
LOL That coming from someone who's gonna poke me in the eye in a street fight....hahhahahahahahaha
I swear, that's the best laugh I've had in quite some time!
Let me guess, since you're bringing your momma and sissa into the conversation, I'm betting that's who tole you that eye poking was street fighting.
let me guess, your mom's nickname is 'Curly' and your sister is 'Moe'?
There are verbal fights and physical fights. You are good at neither.
I would much prefer to have the 3 Stoohes watching my back ,rather than you.
Simply put , their slapstick comedy is more effective in a fight than your inexperienced babbling
A street fight is not the same as an after school shoving match.
No , you don't put up your dukes and circle each other like in the movies.
Only an idiot believes that.
Let me disidiotize you with some sound advice.
In a street fight , you want it to end as quickly as possible.
The longer it goes on , the greater the possibility that your opponent will have an opportunity to hurt you.
On the streets ,that is called common sense.
If attacked by a mugger I am not going to put up my dukes , practice the Ali shuffle and attempt to hit him with a left jab.
I am going to incapacitate him as quickly as possible.
A quick unexpected poke to the eyes is quite incapacitating.
A kick to the groin is quite debilitating.
I do believe that your fighting experience is limited to running away from them.
That , in itself is a good strategy.
For you , it is an excellent strategy , since you have much inexperience to draw from and would get wasted in seconds.
While running , do not trip and fall. Once on the ground your body will be introduced to a wide assortment of kicks and punches.
You might try watching the fight between Evander Holifield and
Mike Tyson.. The street fighter in Tyson was quite evident when he decided to have Evander's ear for a snack.
Street fighting is not for the naive or fools who do all their fighting from behind a computer spouting nonsense about something they are totally unfamiliar with and have never experienced.
At your age and having never been in a fight , it is unlikely you will ever be in one. But , you never know.
Based on what little you know about fighting , you should not include shadow boxing in your exercise routine.
I will bet that your shadow would knock you out. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 5 min Nimbletwig 1,724
Drama queen Julie honchell and Brandon Bingham 12 min Nasty 8
Track Crossing 17 min Trainwreck 5
Stivers Aquatic and Wellness Center to close 21 min thank paul dole 2
Sheriff dept hiding sherman lawson's crimes 31 min pearl 83
Biggest wh*re in barbourville 47 min Man 24
Dee Dole Screws Over Knox County Children ! 1 hr scammers 22
Barbourville police dept ends threats on school... 8 hr Terrible 30
What is Bob Corey running for?? 17 hr Quantummist 45

Barbourville Jobs