Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 163824 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111564 Aug 24, 2013
MLK jr...
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

"content of their character"!

God Bless MLK Jr.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111565 Aug 24, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
I see you have nothing to say regarding your statement that you would be willing to kill your daughter should the voice in your head require it of you.
A bit hard to justify in retrospect, isn't it?
No... God is real... Not just a voice in my head!
You will know I'm telling you the truth... soon!
I just pray it's before your last breath, as that would be too late!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111566 Aug 24, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Your jacket got dirty. Who knows how? It certainly wasn't from bullets.
Over a short distance, bullets travel in a straight line. Can we agree on that? Now, was your jacket hanging EXACTLY straight so that a bullet would neither pierce the jacket nor fail to be in contact with the material for the length of your "lines"?
<quoted text>
Didn't happen.
<quoted text>
People shoot AT you often. Of course they do.
<quoted text>
Because IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. See how that makes sense?
<quoted text>
Finally there's something we can agree on. A rational, sane statement.
It did happen!
But go ahead... Believe what you want!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111567 Aug 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get to make the rules of what offends people and what does not either. Say that phrase to the next cop that pulls you over. See if he agrees with you or me
I didn't say that people aren't offended by it, but I believe that the reason they give for being offended is misplaced and petty.

There is a near infinite number of phrases that will evoke similar hostility - perhaps the mealy mouthed con artists who lead your Utah cabal and suck the brains and wallets of their rubes dry would agree with me. I see them as being uber-disrespectful for their actions, but then I try not to be a sexist bigot, either. What would I know about the inner practices and attitudes of cults? Hey, I don't even believe in Satan, much less worship and lie for him. Maybe that's why I've been accused of writing "like an outsider." (Hmm.. which is worse to call someone, "G.D." or "Atheist" - or are they synonymous and inseparable? Ask curious and mantle.)

One of my standard mutterings while being tailgated is "If you don't like the speed limit, flag down a cop."
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111568 Aug 24, 2013
You all have a Great day!
Let the bad judge-its begin!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111569 Aug 24, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
MLK jr...
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
"content of their character"!
God Bless MLK Jr.
Your point? Judge someone by their actions or by the color of their skin? The way you've inferred your feelings on the matter, I'm going to guess you'd like to run the clock back about 50 (to 150) years.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#111570 Aug 24, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>One might think that... until!
Yes one would, one that was not in a delusional state anyway... One in a delusional state might think of all kinds of goofy stuff....

#111571 Aug 24, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I'm impressed that you care enough to re-post this!
Tell me... how do you explain it?
How did two bullets hit my jacket just below my head?
I've heard MANY bullets pass by my head...
Not this time... silence!
There is no way a bullet can turn in mid flight!
You stated you shot the insulators with a .22LR.... Energy that was transferred on impact at to cause redirection of the deformed bullets would have given the ricochet so little remaining energy that while they would break the skin and put a large knot on your forehead or put out an eye they would more than likely not penetrate the human skull... If by some freak event such a bullet did penetrate the skull the bullet would remain in the brain and not have very much penetration at that...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111572 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> LOL This was what you said...you would allow someone to hit you 3 times..I'm laughing because, if any man does not react after being hit the first damn time, he's either mental, or a pansy....So which are you? I don't care what or how you look, you come at me in any form of aggression, you gonna get rolled. I work 300ft. from solid ground, the harness and rigging alone weighs 65 lbs. that my shoulders and back support sometimes 10 hour days, others 8....I'm equipped to roll, throw, or stomp your azz, I'll be nice and allow you to choose your level of discomfort!
Now we are not discussing Christianity.
You are taking me into the world of foolishness and nonsense.
That is where you feel the most comfortable.
But fools do need to leasrn a lesson, especially in their own environment.
From what you have written so far , it is obvious that you probably have never been in a real fight.
Certainly , you have never been in a STREET FUGHT , no holds barred.
First off , I do not instigate fights. I try everything possible to avoid them. Therefore, I would not come at you.
However ,if you were to come at me , as big and as strong as you are , yout tactic would be to intimidate me with your size and strength.
And I would lead you to believe that I am intimidated.
As you come toward me , I will raise my hands and let you know that I have no desire to fight.
You , being proud and overconfident , are not really prepared to fight , other than with your mouth.You are already convinced that you are the victor
All the while , I am looking for target areas that I can strike, if needed.
If a fight is inevitable ,with my hands raised to near your eye level , I will quickly jab my 4 fingers into your unsupecting eyes.
Did you ever get a finger poked in your eye?
Do you remember the feeling?
At that time, the fight is over. you are done.
Or ,I can jam my fingers into your throat. That is slightly more difficult and may not be as effective. Go for the eyes.

If you grab my shirt , my hands are loose. goodbye eyes.
But you might say ,I always keep my hands up so i can protect my face.
That is the usual technique in a fight , protect your head.
Unfortunately , by concentrating on protecting your head , you are leaving your legs and groin area wide open.
A well placed kick to your shins will leave you hopping on one leg. One legged fighters are very ineffective.
Or , I can take out your knee or go for your groin.
Then , I can grab the back of your head and bring it downn as my knee comes up to meet your face.
You and your muscular body have just been totally disabled within 6 seconds.
This course is known as " Street fighting 101.
In closing...I would not be intimidated by you and your self described muscular allearance .
That would be my unchristian response to some numbskull out looking for trouble...
So please , stop dreaming before you wind up encountering a real nightmare and wind up unconscious on some city playground.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111573 Aug 24, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, lighten up dude.
Why? So profanity can become more acceptable in society and no longer be considered profane?
This is what degrades society. Just like how sex and profanity became more acceptable on prime time TV for our children to watch. Somehow we went from Ricky and Lucy in separate beds to Urkel to Private Practice. ABC has turned into what HBO used to be at 1 am.

No. I won't lighten up. It's a crying shame that we have dulled our sense and allowed our children with sponge brains to be overly exposed to bad things.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111574 Aug 24, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
You know KARMA is a Buddhist belief, right?
Buddhism is cool.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111575 Aug 24, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
I really want to get into this debate but really??? It's hard because your comments are just..... Really?
When "debating" hits the bottom level of just more kindergarten level sand in the sanbbox slinging of personally just insulting others...then for some of us, the debate's then over.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111576 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>My Jesus let's me be REAL, As in not PHONY.
And that includes laying it back to hypocrite BULLIES.
Shall we review the define of hypocrite again?
stuck in a lodi wrote:
By your own admission "My Jesus" you believe; and in doing so must adhere to his instructions that he has laid out for you to follow!
You have Failed!
Now what you have accomplished is proving your hypocrisy......(the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion)
In order for you to understand this...you must first understand the meaning of hypocrite, and I really don't think you do.
<quoted text>
Humm, how about you look up the definition of Hypocrisy... Which was the word I used in my post above... Appears the assumption was on YOUR part after all.
We know already, you misquoted the definition. Next time maybe Try reading a little closer!
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111577 Aug 24, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Well, what you posted pages and pages ago, I wouldn't know about, because I've just been commenting on since around April or so *more/less* this year. and Yeah I've used it in other forms too, what's your point? It's a good example of showing someone their true colors, when it applies to them!
It can be-but then again-it's something can be considered very hypocritical as well!

The "But then again" being, I'm not a regular church goer by any means, so I figure I really shouldn't be insulting anyone who does enjoy attending such, just because I'm Not one that attends one faithfully.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111578 Aug 24, 2013
BillCooperWasRight wrote:
Here We Go Again With Those Damn Censorship Custodians!
;)
BillCooperjuttanutherman- you can hush yer flapjowel too ;-).

#111579 Aug 24, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
We know already, you misquoted the definition. Next time maybe Try reading a little closer!
First he never quoted the definition, he gave an example of it...

And his example was dead on the mark....

hy·poc·ri·sy
hi&#712;päkris&#275;
noun: hypocrisy;&#8195;plural noun: hypocrisies

1. the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
synonyms: dissimulation, false virtue, cant, posturing, affectation, speciousness, empty talk, insincerity, falseness, deceit, dishonesty, mendacity, pretense, duplicity;

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111580 Aug 24, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>1. If I'm not mistaken his family were involved in various exploits involving the use of magic and what-not. This is just my own opinion, but I would consider such practices to be similar to psychics. All psychics are either frauds or not the sharpest tools in the shed. Smith was smart. So I lean toward fraud on that one.

2. There is no such thing as "Reformed Egyptian". Smith made it up. He had no idea how to translate Egyptian, and neither did anyone else at that time. He translated the famous papyri as the Book of Abraham. Later, when scholars figured out how to read Egyptian, the Mormons themselves had that stuff examined and found that Smith's "translation" bore no resemblance to the actual contents of the scrolls at all. He made it up, entirely. This is a matter of public record, not my opinion. You have to go outside the LDS documents to get that full story.

3. Believing in magic rocks is not rational. Surely you understand that.

4. I was under the impression that "other sheep" referred to gentiles. I must have missed the part of the Bible where it talks about Pocahontas and Geronimo. Was it before or after the part that mentions bacteria and other germs being the cause of disease? Or was it after the part where Jesus says "Owning slaves is wrong"?

You are trying to find justifications for believing these things. I understand your reason. You want to defend your worldview and your faith. I get it. But this is not rational, nor is it supported by any evidence.
1. When Joseph was around 9 or 10 he thought you could find buried Spanish treasure by the use of seer stones. This was a common wish back then. And this practice was mind of like water witching (which people still do today). I can't really fault a kid at that age for believing something like that. Heck I thought/hoped some cars really could transform when I was that age.
2. No matter what you call the language the BOM was written in, it is still very possible that a civilization existed and had their own writing style that we haven't even discovered yet. So this could have happened too. We can't prove it either way. Their explanation in the BOM was that they modified the writing style of their forefathers, who knew Hebrew and Egyptian. Why would Joseph have a reason to fabricate that part if he didn't have real plates? If he didn't have real plates, then he knew no one would see them to question him. Instead, he was allowed to show them to several people who verified their existence. Professor Anthon in New York also verified their authenticity and later retracted his signed verification once he found out how they received the plates. This fulfilled a scripture in Isaiah by the way. The papyri that Joseph translated was lost. We only have the other scrolls that were purchased when he bought the mummies and papyri. I have explained this one before too.
3. The Urim and Thummim are spoken of in the OT. Please google.
4. Gentiles basically meant everyone that wasn't Jewish. So you're kinda right. I'm sure He went to several groups of people. I hope we find those records one day. I see you resorted back to insult again. I question your maturity and sincerity when you do this.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111581 Aug 24, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we are not discussing Christianity.
You are taking me into the world of foolishness and nonsense.
That is where you feel the most comfortable.
But fools do need to leasrn a lesson, especially in their own environment.
From what you have written so far , it is obvious that you probably have never been in a real fight.
Certainly , you have never been in a STREET FUGHT , no holds barred.
First off , I do not instigate fights. I try everything possible to avoid them. Therefore, I would not come at you.
However ,if you were to come at me , as big and as strong as you are , yout tactic would be to intimidate me with your size and strength.
And I would lead you to believe that I am intimidated.
As you come toward me , I will raise my hands and let you know that I have no desire to fight.
You , being proud and overconfident , are not really prepared to fight , other than with your mouth.You are already convinced that you are the victor
All the while , I am looking for target areas that I can strike, if needed.
If a fight is inevitable ,with my hands raised to near your eye level , I will quickly jab my 4 fingers into your unsupecting eyes.
Did you ever get a finger poked in your eye?
Do you remember the feeling?
At that time, the fight is over. you are done.
Or ,I can jam my fingers into your throat. That is slightly more difficult and may not be as effective. Go for the eyes.
If you grab my shirt , my hands are loose. goodbye eyes.
But you might say ,I always keep my hands up so i can protect my face.
That is the usual technique in a fight , protect your head.
Unfortunately , by concentrating on protecting your head , you are leaving your legs and groin area wide open.
A well placed kick to your shins will leave you hopping on one leg. One legged fighters are very ineffective.
Or , I can take out your knee or go for your groin.
Then , I can grab the back of your head and bring it downn as my knee comes up to meet your face.
You and your muscular body have just been totally disabled within 6 seconds.
This course is known as " Street fighting 101.
In closing...I would not be intimidated by you and your self described muscular allearance .
That would be my unchristian response to some numbskull out looking for trouble...
So please , stop dreaming before you wind up encountering a real nightmare and wind up unconscious on some city playground.
WORD- from the REAL world of sane and logical.

(It is always BEST to) Keep your hands (and any other object to use in violence ) to yourself.
See GZ/Tray M case.

Promoting/using thuggery, violence, anarchy and discord is NEVER a "good" thing.

NO ONE has the "right" to abuse others (Especially knowingly and willfully!)-mentally OR physically Or any other way!!!
SistaNoneYaBiz

Brodhead, KY

#111583 Aug 24, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
First he never quoted the definition, he gave an example of it...
And his example was dead on the mark....
hy·poc·ri·sy
hi&#712;päkris&#275;
noun: hypocrisy;&#8195;plural noun: hypocrisies
1. the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
synonyms: dissimulation, false virtue, cant, posturing, affectation, speciousness, empty talk, insincerity, falseness, deceit, dishonesty, mendacity, pretense, duplicity;
He didn't list any definition except the one I had quoted form MW. and then he misquoted it incorrectly.

So stop being Duplicitous.

WTH is it with some you and that duplicity anyway.
Don't you have some samiches to make and HELP out with the workload? Are your clothes picked up off the floors? Dishes that you used washed? Counters you mucked up etc cleaned? And while your at it, could you please at LEAST scrub up some of those eyesore spots that your muddy feet have drug in from stomping through the woods hunting bearskins, and would be so kind as to not leave the remains of such romps strewed about all over the place? Have you fixed the autopump yet in the wooden bath barell? Do you need anymore on this extended list of "things to do"? It's just sooooooo easy to make such hayseed strawboss lists lol.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111584 Aug 24, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said... 90% of religionist do as they do for personal gain of one kind or another.... Such gain can be financial as seen in the nice homes and Stuff of just about every priest, preacher and evangelist you can name... or for personal aggrandizement so many seek from the pats on the backs they get by having their names on the rolls of what they do so others will know they did a good thing or in the wish for reward from god or fear of punishment after death .....
"Doing an Honorable thing for personal gain or fear of punishment does not an Honorable person make" .. "True Honor is doing the Right Thing when No One is looking"
I see you where dancing like a cat on a Hot Tin Roof when Duquwette disagreed with the absurdity you posted.
I can find nothing written or espoused by anyone , anywhere that agrees or confirms your assertion.
Your opinion is based , not on facts , but on your own personal interpretaion of how things should be.
So , I choose to obey the teachings of my God , in the same manner that I would obey the techings of my parents.
Those being , to do what is right.
You want to set your own criteria in an attempt to nullify the teachings of my God , in whom you do not believe.
So, you set a burden on others , which you yourself are unable to carry.

Then , like Tiny Tim , you Tiptoe Through the Tulips , trying to make sense out of the nonsensible.
We are not always in a position to do tghe right thing when no one is looking.
In your senseless analysis , If someone is drowning and I am part of a group who is witnessing the drowning and I jump in to save that person , I am doing the dishonorable thing because there are those who will see meperforming this act.
I suppose ,if you were the individual that was drowning , you would insist that everyone should leave so that no one would witness my actions.
Of such nonsense is an imcomprehensible set of rules constructed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is wrong with taking a stripper out to eat? 13 min The Real Yeti 4
Judy Scott 15 min The Real Yeti 26
Hotels in 1940's 50 min The Specialist 8
The Specialist with a message for Knox County. 1 hr The Specialist 10
Sonny hamblin 1 hr The Specialist 97
lawsuit against cops 6 hr Rabbit 17
Darren k West Voted Knox co Biggest FOOL ! 8 hr my opinion 34

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance