Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142404 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111503 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure most of us here do refrain from using this language in most company out of respect.
I am sure most of us atheists here do not talk about religion in mixed company the way we do here. Keep in mind, this is a forum that is supposed to be more open to free expression in an attempt to exchange views in a way that is normally not something we could do in person due to the social norms of respect.
You guys seem to forget this fact.
"that is normally not something we could do in person due to the social norms of respect.
You guys seem to forget this fact."

I am SO glad you (SOMEONE finally) pointed THOSE two VERY true statements out.

Thank you.

"Brilliant, Agree and Bingo!!"
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111504 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the third commandment? "Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain?"
I always felt that meant not to profess that you align yourself with God as your lord, but then act like a complete @SS.
Seems like taking it to mean "Thou shalt not cuss" is a cheap and easy cheat - as I've come to expect from the contingent across the aisle.
Brilliant, Agree and Bingo for you too lol.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111505 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you "prefer" the new testament but do not follow the advice of the new testament? Ok, I see how this works with you now.
You might believe in the golden rule, but looking at your vile posts, it is clear you do not follow the golden rule. Normal for hypocrites.
I try, but let's see..hmm..my longtime excuse IS... I went to school with herd pack animals, and lived near ship yards, so you know ow that goes lol.

Aside from that, I realize realistically, e-v-e-r-y-day, that we're all only human.(as in NOT perfect!)
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111506 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you are to poor to buy toothpaste? At least it is an excuse for those brown teeth.
The economy has been rising fairly steady now for several years since Bush had his extreme downward spiral of an economy.
Now you can complain about it, and try to spin it as if Obama put us in a bad economy, but it is just a denial of facts.
Okayyy...maybe this one won't fly so far over your balding..head...

Let's look at the "employment" numbers. NOT the UNemployment numbers...but the amount of people employed. And then let's look at the increase in the amounts having to turn to social welfare programs.

Let us know what data you gather.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111507 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for proving my point. Nice diversion.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think some are just not allowing some information to be looked at logically. So it is more of a denial issue than a lack of logic issue. Note how Du what keeps avoiding the meat of most issues. He sticks to the surface where the denial is safe. Once you pry deep into the issue, he runs and claims we are persecuting him.
This is Sista's excuse also.
YaA just runs and starts ranting about something else or starts quoting his preacher.
That wasn't your point, it was my point.

Will you puhLease stop trying to claim My points as well?
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111508 Aug 23, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have to let them into your home before you ask them stuff to get the party line laid out for you, But the last batch that came to my house came with a couple kids and a mom & pop operation and they would not hang around when I kept taking about the benefits of being a Amway distributor.....
UTOH lol
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111509 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And you put on the false appearance of having the virtues of your religion. But you clearly do not follow the advice of said religion. I do not need to be of this religion to point out when someone is being hypocritical of said religion. Why would I?
I would assume if you believe Jesus is god, then you would follow his advice. I suppose I should not assume this.
That was pretty good-can't fuss about any of it.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#111510 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not bully those who are disadvantaged, I "bully" those who persist in willfully dishonest and wantonly ignorant statements.-If you consider correcting your misadventures into logic, being critical of hypocrisy and pointing out falsifications as "abuse", the I again question your ability to recognize reality. Not that you've proven adept at recognizing it. With that in mind, maybe I >should< treat you with kid gloves. Bless you my child, have a cookie.
You offer an aside? Is that your special contraction for asinine and snide? To be direct, I thought you posted that you'd be leaving Topix soon - and reasonable people will be sneering at your Kooky Kool-aid Korps long afterward.

Oh, and lest we forget - Mind your ninth commandment.
Let me not waste my time commenting on all the nonsense you posted.
Anyhow , thanks for the blessing and the cookie,,,,,,You forgot the glass of milk.
As an aside,,, Yes , I will be leaving topix soon... as soon as I get around to it. And at the time of my choosing and convenience.
And , if I leave , I may well choose to return,,at my leisure.
Gee whiz , I didn't know Atheists were so thinskinned. The thickheaded I knew about.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111511 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Many (if not most) of those millions of people convey the EXACT same sentiments all of the time. Do you equate the same level of offense to "Atheists are fools", "so and so/such and such is an abomination to God" and "God is love"? I do - because all three are deliberate utter and complete lies. In the real world God and damn are just two words one in front of the other. You don't have the power to make your god bless or damn anyone or anything "he doesn't want to."
So Gol dangit, then. Grow up - or is that phrase offensive, too?
You don't get to make the rules of what offends people and what does not either. Say that phrase to the next cop that pulls you over. See if he agrees with you or me

Location hidden

#111512 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Many (if not most) of those millions of people convey the EXACT same sentiments all of the time. Do you equate the same level of offense to "Atheists are fools", "so and so/such and such is an abomination to God" and "God is love"? I do - because all three are deliberate utter and complete lies. In the real world God and damn are just two words one in front of the other. You don't have the power to make your god bless or damn anyone or anything "he doesn't want to."
So Gol dangit, then. Grow up - or is that phrase offensive, too?
And yes, I would find those things offensive as well. This is why don't say those words to atheists. It's called respect

Location hidden

#111513 Aug 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Just because your beliefs ARE irrational means that they are.

Your deepest beliefs led you to the decision to join that church. What else does anyone need to know about intelligence and arrogance?
Just sayin'
This is your opinion. You are welcome to it. Doesn't mean you are right. It just means you are intolerant just like you accuse others of being.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111514 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess you can believe Jesus lets you be all sorts of things, as the Jesus never was very specific about anything.
So just how do you interpret this passage?
"You have heard that it was said,'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you.
Matthew 5:38-42
Okay, I personally would acknowledge--and give extra thought to-

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil:....

perhaps a tad bit more than others might??

Then..
<insert the rest of your quoted passages here>

..which follows into the last line of the chapter, which is..

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Summarized of my own opinion (which you certainly do not have to agree with)however..
It might well be one of the earliest written examples of applying "common sense"?
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111515 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You failed to point to any hypocrisy here.
I wasn't intending to...that's not nice!
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111516 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What? This makes no sense. First, what is atheism using and how is it hypocritical?
I am pretty sure the Christians being caught in homosexual acts are not "using" Christianity as a defense.
I see no comparisons in your post. It is basically gibberish.
I am pretty sure the Christians being caught in homosexual acts are not "using" Christianity as a defense.

Why would they--it's no more of a "defense" than using atheism as one.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111517 Aug 23, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As evidenced by this post, Sista has no idea what hypocrisy means.
Sista says
Well, that's a little different , in some ways...in some ways not. Ho'ing is ho'ing and drug using is drug using. When the "labels of affiliation" are stripped anyway, it's all the same then, absolutely no difference whatsoever, and trying to use "atheism" to justify any of it (including the condemnation of others for such) would be no different either.
And Duquette when stumped...falls to the usual malodorous measures of spewing nothing but mouth (via keyboard) farts.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111518 Aug 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
My Jesus let's me be REAL, As in not PHONY.
And that includes laying it back to hypocrite BULLIES.
Shall we review the define of hypocrite again?
You were replying to MD when posting this, calling him a bully and a hypocrite, wrong on both accounts.
<quoted text>
I replied with the above post to convey to you that you were wrong. How can one be a hypocrite when they are not following that religion?
Do you understand this comment....Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian no more than me walking in my garage makes me a car?
... In a sense, it means, there is more to this religion than just SAYING you are a Christian, you must live it daily by following the bible, the commandments, and the teachings of your God.
Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian no more than me walking in my garage makes me a car?

OLD... I actually posted that one myself (except I would place the word ANY in front of more, rather then "no"-as in "Any more than"...) PAGES AND PAGES AND PAGES ago.

But anyway-
Once again, I'm a Non-denominational Independent with my OWN thoughts, ideals and beliefs, with my OWN perspectives on the Bible and ideals on how apply them daily in my life.
And all that works just fine for me.

Location hidden

#111519 Aug 23, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Two reasons:

1) It shouldn't offend anyone. If I went around using racial slurs I'd be talking about real people. Saying "god dammit" refers to no actual people and has no ability to harm or insult or injure anyone. People who still get offended by such phrases really need to buy a pack of big boy or big girl panties and join reality.

Now, I don't go around saying "god dammit" all the time. Unless I'm with friends. I am respectful of people face-to-face. But in an internet discussion about god I have no inhibitions about using that phrase when I want to add emphasis to something.

For example, the idea that raped and murdered children are now happier in heaven is a god-damn joke. And a tasteless one at that.

2) God dammit is my favorite "curse" word. Don't take it away from me.
Profanity is not allowed on this site, should not be used around children, isn't allowed in most workplaces or establishments, and shows the world how insensitive you are to those that do not appreciate profane language. It is also residue from the degradation of our society, so congrats, you contribute to that. Besides that, it is offensive to people. Once you have learned that, you should refrain from using it. But it's your choice to be arrogant and offensive and to break rules. That doesn't mean others have to accept it and call it normal or appropriate.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111520 Aug 23, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any disdain to anyone with any form of religion. You can believe whatever the hail you want, I've stated this on numerous occasions. If you wanna believe Lord of the Flys will deliver you from evil, have at it. If you want to believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior, have at it, it's none of my business UNTIL you call me a hypocrite of a religion I don't even confess! That's just utter nonsense!
I don't think people have to be "religious" to be "hypocrites".

Nope-no "religion" at all required actually, to be a hypocrite or, hypocritical.

Definition number 2-

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Location hidden

#111521 Aug 23, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I understand. You are absolutely correct. When we engage in that level of interaction we lose the ability to find middle ground. I sorta figure we aren't going to find any middle ground, though.

But, to address you first point: "Just because you think my beliefs are irrational doesn't mean that they are."

Let's take a look at this. Because it is totally true. But there is a reason I think you beliefs are irrational. Not simply because I decided to, but because the evidence says they are. Let's take a look at a couple of Mormon beliefs and ask honestly how rational they are:

1) A 19th century American with a history of fraud is led to an ancient lost Biblical Scripture by an angel.

2) The Scripture is written in Reformed Egyptian, a language that no other person has ever encountered or even heard of.

3) The man translates the Scriptures by covering his head with a cloth and looking into a hat, somehow using two magic rocks in the process.

4) Items 1-3 result in a new revelation from god and detail, among other things, how Jesus visited Native Americans.

Do you believe these ideas? If so, why?
1. What history of fraud?
2. If this group of people was secluded to themselves how would you expect anyone else to know of it? Do you expect to find Mayan writings elsewhere in the world?
3. The Urim and the Thummim are mentioned in the Old Testament, so as one that believes in the OT, this isn't that unusual. As far as the hat goes, he was just trying to figure it all out. He later figured out he didn't need to do that.
4. Jesus told those in Jerusalem that He had to visit other sheep that were not of their fold. Where else do you think He went to teach His gospel?
sarah b

Hinesville, GA

#111522 Aug 23, 2013
mantle wrote:
<quoted text>There you go misrepresenting what I wrote.
I never said I was Obama's daughter , I said I was one of his inner circle of advisers.
I should know better than to play mental games with simple minds.
Miniscule minds have a problem grasping the meanings , reasons and intentions of what I intentionally kiddingly post.
Q jumped in on this too .
That did not surprise me either.
An orphaned cerebellum looking for a home.
It was a joke!!!! Maybe you have a problem grasping meaning or something stuck somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sugars daddies 39 min s party 24
FBI now taking tips for Public Official Corrupt... 53 min Yes sir 4
shasta wilson 57 min Terry butterbean 2
sabrina corey 1 hr Just a fact 39
Drug Dealers 1 hr Two more 6
Randy smith and Shelia 1 hr Omg 12
Danny hubbard 1 hr Oooo 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages