Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 137843 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#110114 Aug 9, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe because Science is GUILTY of the same inconsistancies and assumptions due to Inconclusiveness as well. Sorry about that, but it IS!
"Well maybe it stemmed from here in this time frame---then maybe again it didn't and stemmed rather from there, gove ot take a few thousand years...and then we have this bit of data pulled from another continent over here...but just a little more recently than a millenium".
Some quotes From the original article-
Almost every man alive can trace his origins to one man who lived about 135,000 years ago, new research suggests.
The findings, detailed today (Aug. 1) in the journal Science, come from the most complete analysis of the male sex chromosome, or the Y chromosome, to date. The results overturn earlier research, which suggested that men's most recent common ancestor lived just 50,000 to 60,000 years ago.
By *assuming* a mutation rate anchored to archaeological events (such as the migration of people across the Bering Strait), the team concluded that all males in their global sample shared a single male ancestor in Africa roughly 125,000 to 156,000 years ago.
Despite their overlap in time, ancient "Adam" and ancient "Eve" probably didn't even live near each other, let alone mate.
In addition, mitochondrial DNA from the men, as well as similar samples from 24 women, revealed that all women on the planet trace back to a mitochondrial Eve, who lived in Africa between 99,000 and 148,000 years ago — almost the same time period during which the Y-chromosome Adam lived.
And in a study detailed in March in the American Journal of Human Genetics, Hammer's group showed that several men in Africa have unique, divergent Y chromosomes that trace back to an even more ancient man who lived between 237,000 and 581,000 years ago.[Unraveling the Human Genome: 6 Molecular Milestones]
"It doesn't even fit on the family tree that the Bustamante lab has constructed — It's older," Hammer told LiveScience.
Adam and Eve?
These primeval people aren't parallel to the biblical Adam and Eve. They weren't the first modern humans on the planet, but instead just the two out of thousands of people alive at the time with unbroken male or female lineages that continue on today.
The rest of the human genome contains tiny snippets of DNA from many other ancestors — they just don't show up in mitochondrial or Y-chromosome DNA, Hammer said.
----------
Care to comment?
----------
My comments in comparing and contrasting-
Some of that is JUST like "Noahs ark and age"--due to so many UNknown variables, it certainly is hard to say with any sort of conclusiveness, exactly HOW old someone like the referenced Noah might have been, given that the era of such was milleniums ago, and should someone such as Noah had build a boat, and round up a few critters in lieu of sever weather...just because it hasn't most likely been found, or at least dubbed as being conclusively as "Noahs ark" (because there have been findings of similar type vessels in the regions of) does certainly NOT mean, such never was either.
But I tend to rather be of a more OPEN mind, rather than narrow mindedly discredit and dismiss, just to "suit my opinion".
"he said they said twistations of opinion,"
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#110115 Aug 9, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems you want to discuss the Treaty of Tripoli, if that's the case, just SAY THAT.
I was just pointing out the many discrepansies in your oblivion, as to how deeply ingrained "Christianity", in it's many derivatives IS (and long time HAS been) in American culture.
And that is WHY we have the FIRST AMMENDMENT, freedom OF (NOT from) Religious beliefs OF PERSONAL CHOICE-For ALL Americans, INcluding Catholicss, Methodists, Presb, LDS, JW, Baptist, Evangelicals and on and on and on....-and NOT just atheists!!!!!
THAT is the Real AMERICA!
I would prefer not discussing anything with you, as you have demonstrated to everyone that you can't follow a black line marked on paper without getting off track and losing all sense of direction! So I'm going to post this ONE more time in hopes that you finally get the POINT. This discussion has been about whether or not America was founded on Christian Principles! It Wasn't. Plain and Simple. Today... America may be ingrained in Christianity but in 1797 it for damn sure wasn't! Hell in 1971, The Supreme Court made "Three Part Lemon Test to determine if a law is permissible under the First-Amendment religion clause ....1. A law must have a secular purpose.
2.It must have a primary effect which neither advances nor inhibits religion.
3.It must avoid excessive entanglement of church and state
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#110116 Aug 9, 2013
Where is this "Ignore List" you supposed to have me on or is it just as imaginary as your "Religion" you claim to follow???
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#110117 Aug 9, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid is, as Stupid does...
Stop being Stupid!
Ok.... granted, that post may have been vague to those who haven't been following this thread, so to clear it up for them.... It was in reference to Do Whut's post of righteous judgment...and I'm sure you have been following this thread and knew exactly what I was referring to!

So Stop Being Stupid!
curious

Ocoee, FL

#110118 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By this line of reasoning, believers should not debate non believers.
Humans argue for what they believe and do not believe. It is only natural. You consistently deny human nature. That is expected from someone deluded in the supernatural.
I do not deny human nature.Human nature is a condition that is at enmity with God.
Because of their unbelief,those who live according to their human nature are not able to attain unto the reality of God,since one can not attain unto spiritual truths by natural means...
Moreover,I would not debate with anyone regarding the existence of Santa Claus,since I do not believe that Santa claus exists.
Therefore I would not waste my time debating the exixtence of something I believe does not exixt.
Likewise,any one wishing to debate the exixtence of Zeus or Thor or would have my undivided non attention.
Whereas,an Atheist would give me his undivided attention if I wanted to debate the existence of something he claims not to exist,The God that I BELIEVE IN AND WORSHIP..
WHY is that?
Whom is the Atheist trying to convince of the nonexistence of God? Him or me? Certainly not me...
Then,he must be trying to convince himself in order to justify his unbelief.....
It would appear that the Atheist is searching for an answer that his unbelief does not provide to his satisfaction....
His conscience does not accept his natural denial of that which is suipernatural....
Therefor the mental conflict and their search for that spiritual truth that they can not obtain by natural means

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#110119 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What? Dude, you are automatically confusing the whole post I wrote.
Again, I have no problem with Mormons knocking on my door, for any reason. So to tie them with my possibly wanting to be taken off the members list has nothing to do with it. Mormons knock on non members doors also. How could you forget this?
What I'm saying is that you are wasting their time too unless you just want to be friends with them until they are reassigned and you get two new home teachers.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#110120 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh look, he can cherry pick quotes.
I could cherry pick also, but I don't have the time or energy.
Seems these so called Christians are good @ cherry picking when it comes to matters of the Bible too. In my opinion they cut-n-paste quotes and commandments from this book, glue them together, then label themselves a fine Christian! "Fer Heabens sake, we did't do nuffin rong!" "Iffn sumbody slaps me, ill fkn slap da white off em cuz you seys eye fer an eye, and I Beweive !

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#110121 Aug 9, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Why not try www.jw.org to seek answers to a variety of subjects.
Dan. 2:44:“The kingdom [set up by God]... will crush and put an end to all these [human] kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.”

Rebuttal... This show an obvious error between the two religious books, Dan 2:44 and Rev 20:1-3. Will Armageddon put a end to all these kingdoms by God, not so. Read Rev below again.

Rev. 20:1-3:

"the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. And he hurled him into the abyss and shut it and sealed it over him, that he might not mislead the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended."

Note that the nations were not destroyed after Armageddon. Satan will again mislead the nation when the thousand year reign of Christ has ended.

When you talk about the evil system of things being destroyed and all humans except JW's when placing the watchtower door to door you're preaching condemnation of that person at the door as evil also.

P.S.
Do you gossip about your fellow members ?

Roseville, CA

#110122 Aug 9, 2013
Benefits of Being One of Jehovah's Witnesses

Jehovah's Witnesses alone will live in Paradise where there will be no cars, TVs, computors, radios, theaters, washing machines, clothes dryers, refrigerators, stoves, airplanes, electric lights, or malls to buy or clothes. Just miles and miles of garden and lions to pet.

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#110123 Aug 9, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
Benefits of Being One of Jehovah's Witnesses
Jehovah's Witnesses alone will live in Paradise where there will be no cars, TVs, computors, radios, theaters, washing machines, clothes dryers, refrigerators, stoves, airplanes, electric lights, or malls to buy or clothes. Just miles and miles of garden and lions to pet.
That doesn't sound like paradise, that sounds like a very boring place.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#110124 Aug 9, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Just a few...
No one can deny that many of the founding fathers of the United States of America were men of deep religious convictions based in the Bible and their Christian faith in Jesus Christ. Of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, nearly half (24) held seminary or Bible school degrees.
These Christian quotes of the founding fathers will give you an overview of their strong moral and spiritual convictions which helped form the foundations of our nation and our government.
George Washington
1st U.S. President
"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
--The Writings of Washington, pp. 342-343.
John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence
"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.
"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty, in which all those young Men United, and which had United all Parties in America, in Majorities sufficient to assert and maintain her Independence.
"Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."
--Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.
Just so YOU Know... Ignorance is curable!
Click the link, read more, and stop being Ignorant of the Truth!
Just so you know, I can do my own research without clicking on your bias links.... and in my opinion most, NOT ALL signers were Deist.

Location hidden

#110125 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So translation errors could not result in contradictions of claims of the bible? What? Might as well stop using the line at all about not believing blindly in all the claims of the bible. You clearly believe it is perfect enough not to dispute it at all.

Now you believe the god murdered everyone for being so darned sinful, but gave them all a pass to come to heaven? Where did you pull this idea from?

Reminds me of the parents who claim they produced the child, so they have the right to kill the child. Poor morality is poor morality. Again, were is the moral story to Noah's ark again?
All I hear from you is gods excuse to murder in mass. Excuses excuses. I see a trend for the poor morality of the bible. They produce some magical excuse to be immoral.
It is ok to kill them. They will thank us in heaven.
I wonder if this is what the Christian Nazi's thought as they tried to exterminate the Jews.
Children under the age of accountability go straight to the presence of God. That's what I said.
And murder means killing of innocent blood. So God, seeing that the beings He created turned to a sinful life, ended their earthly life in the flood so that the good, moral, righteous people could flourish. They go to a spirit prison, where they wait for judgment day. During that time before judgment, they have the ability to repent and choose to follow God's commandments. This is why Jesus went to teach the souls in prison after His death.

We kinda do the same thing on earth. We take the law breakers and put them in prison so the rest of us can lead a slightly better life. Unfortunately, now, the way it is set up, we end up paying for their meals and clothes and cable TV.

Location hidden

#110126 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Here is one reason why the bible is not really so good to be taught in a secular classroom.
The claim of the bible is, this moral god murdered all humans once. It is not a moral story.
Now you have your religious excuses for why a god is allowed to be a murderer, but that is not really what a secular school can teach. You see, their is the great dispute of a god existing at all. Then there is a dispute of who gets to murder whom.
It is not the place of public schools to be teaching a god is allowed to murder.
Now if the teacher was allowed to point out how immoral it is for a god to murder, or at least open the debate up to the class, I would have less of a problem with this being taught. But this is not the case with the classes in question.
The fact is, so many Americans think this story is true and the god is allowed to murder. So this makes the story even more controversial to tell in public schools. If it were some dead myth like the ancient Egyptian myths, the contriver would end, as no one today(that I know of) believes the god of Isis was even real.
The god of Isis is taught only as something ancient men once believed.
The bible stories are claims many still believe. This changes everything.
I never said the Bible should be taught in public schools, did I?

Location hidden

#110127 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure this is the exact philosophical beliefs of the terrorists.
No sir. I will not allow you to twist my words and portray me as an immoral terrorist.

I said I accept God's actions. I never said it was ok for me to take the life of anyone. I am not a creator. It is not my place. The only way I would take a life would be for the defense of my family, and even then I would feel terrible that it came to that.

It is not a human's place to judge the sins of another. It is God's.

In our society, we set civil laws. We can judge and sentence someone when they break a civil law, because we created the law and developed the punishments. But we did not develop the laws of sin. Therefore we cannot judge sins.

Location hidden

#110128 Aug 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Just so you know, I can do my own research without clicking on your bias links.... and in my opinion most, NOT ALL signers were Deist.
The problem is if you do your own research you get an objective viewpoint rather than one that is slanted to support his arguments.

Roseville, CA

#110129 Aug 9, 2013
Nox Aeterna wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't sound like paradise, that sounds like a very boring place.
They're running around naked also.

Location hidden

#110130 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Look, if the Noah story has one tiny grain of truth, it must be told as truth. God murdered everyone and that is the moral of the story. God gets to be a ruthless murderer and worshiped by many at the same time.
He has much in common with Hitler, except there is evidence of a Hitler and his holocaust.
Hitler created no one. It was not up to him to judge who should live and die. Hitler killed millions of innocent people for a selfish reason. He was not a God or a creator. To say he has much in common with God is ridiculous. In starting to question your motifs and sanity now.

Location hidden

#110131 Aug 9, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Please enlighten me about how our country was founded under god?

You can pray all you want. Do you really think a god is going to do a damned thing about it? God does not answer prayers honey.
He answers mine, because they are sincere, as I humble myself before Him and have faith that He will answer them.
I think you have the formula all wrong.
Your attitude towards God should not shock anyone when you say your prayers aren't answered.

That's like drinking your slim fast while eating a rack of ribs with a side of pizza and ice cream, wondering why Jenny Craig lied to you.

Location hidden

#110132 Aug 9, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
They're running around naked also.
Yeah, still not making it any better. Most Witnesses I've run into are not people I'd ever wanna sleep with, thus seeing them naked wouldn't really appeal to me.

Location hidden

#110133 Aug 9, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
hummm If the kid is dressed in gang clothing, hanging out with gang affiliated kids, then When one Judges him to be gang related... that is a righteous judgment..... what's that one that say's you will be known by the fruit's you bear....so tell me where I would be wrong in assuming this kid is a gang member?
Some kids do this so they won't get killed in school. Then when they grow up enough to leave, they get out and become something positive for society and try to change things.
It's different to assume he is in a gang than to assume he is a bad person for being in a gang. In some situations it is for survival but they have a good heart. They choose strength in numbers to protect themselves and their family. Understand?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trouble maker and thief 4 min infro 5
silver queen corn 27 min mee 1
Whose the best unemployment hearing lawyer arou... 36 min Helpful 5
Brett ledford 2 hr Facts 18
Kim Patterson (Jan '10) 2 hr Truth 5
Go fund me scams 8 hr Dopers make me sick 8
billy gambrel 10 hr neighbor 6
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE