Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156618 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

already teaching religion

United States

#109923 Aug 8, 2013
I just graduated high school and i felt it was ogg that in my history class we spent a whole semester learning greek mythology . they have 12 gods. i mean we learned quite a bit about this religion that ppl worshiped and the sacrafices. and it wasn't even in high school it was in middle school. i could tell u more about this than i could the bible and I'm christian. i think that it would be good to teach as a part of history. After all spring break doesn't compare to the long break we have for winter because of Christmas. we learned about Ramadan and other things throughout school and i think it SHOULD be a part of the curriculum .
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#109924 Aug 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you mean make shite up to fit a preconceived belief system... I'll pass and stick to evidence...
No... Don't make stuff up...
Just pretend that the people who have DONE this dating thing has an agenda, as it would be inconvenient for them to say..
They're wrong!

You know... like the Green houser's!

The circular reasoning of the geologic columns dating the fossils,
and the fossils dating the geologic columns, should
make you wonder....

Layers dating the same as layers 50' higher should make you doubt,
and...

Artifacts found in coal layers supposedly 100,000,000 years old...
You can't possibly hold firmly to your beliefs, that they
are correct!

Unless... you really want to believe their lies, and
deny that there might just be a truth you're missing!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#109925 Aug 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So if someone draws a picture, it must be of a real thing, or of something alive at the moment?
Ever think their could be another possibility other than your own version?
Deny if you want...
When they paint a deer, and you know it's a deer... No Problem...
But when they draw a t-rex, or a Brontosaur... it can't
possibly be... How stupid!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#109926 Aug 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Now if you could just produce evidence to prove your hypothesis.
People as stupid as you, would just deny it... as you do!
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109927 Aug 8, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
I so stuck in my own loadi-o-crap, I mutt ax, What is a TROLL???
There, now I've stooped above and beyond, to show you a great example of what "trolling is", as well as defined it for you.
You have also earned a spot my own personal ignore ognorant troll list, for the following reasons-as they so suitably apply to you.
Being an-
Internet Troll
(as defined by the urban dictionary)
A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues. Such arguments can happen on blogs, Facebook, Myspace and a host of others.
The best thing you can do to fight an internet troll is to not answer..or report them....
AND further defined via About, Internet for Beginners...
Question: What Is an Internet 'Troll'?
Answer: An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who uses shock value to promote arguments and disharmony in online communities. Named after the wicked troll creatures of children's tales, an internet troll is someone who stirs up drama and abuses their online anonymity by purposely sowing hatred, bigotry, racism, mysogyny, or just simple bickering between others. Trolls like a big audience, so they frequent blog sites, news sites, discussion forums, and game chat. Trolls thrive in any environment where they are allowed to make public comments.
At the harsher end of the troll spectrum, trolls are cruel and malicious users who want to set an online community on fire with hate and discord.
The Sad Truths of Internet Trolls:
Trolls are immune to criticism and logical arguments. True trolls cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how sound your logical argument is.
Trolls do not feel remorse like you and me. They have sociopathic tendencies, and accordingly, they delight in other people having hurt feelings.
Trolls consider themselves separate from the social order.
Trolls do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy.
Trolls consider themselves above social responsibility.
Trolls gain energy by you insulting them.
Trolls gain energy when you get angry.
The only way to deal with a troll is to ignore him, or take away their ability to post online.
This has been a public service announcement by DECENT, Humane people against Ignorance, and the eradication of it!!
Any further ignorance of your nothing but nasty trolling will now be ignored.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#109928 Aug 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
His view means that someone running across a copy of "The Hulk" in a few 1000 years will say we had giant green guys running amuck during our lives....
Or could it be that some folks while digging about ran into a fossil bed of "Dragon" bones and used their imaginations....
You mean...
Like the artists told HOW to depict Lucy....
Closed toes on feet that were not there, standing upright on
hips that couldn't...
Or to dray a whole human out of a pigs tooth???

Facts man, nothing but the facts!

Facts are... I am ONLY here.... because God saved me!
God is real... even if you do not want to believe!
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109929 Aug 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. Can't wait to look that up
The Herods 37BC-AD100 (Antipator, Cypress etc) then enter into the whole mix-Muhammad and the Islamic caliphs, Abdullah and 2nd gens, into the Hasans/Hussiens of the third generation...then on into the Crusader king times of Godfrey and Baldwin at the end of the first millenium, on into the Sherfian dynasty in 1916, and the 1915 agreement between Britian and France on mid-east government influences post WW1.

A little on the snoozy side in parts, mostly due to the nature of the subject matter, a bit like an exact time lined list of begets a times, but great for researching from a different perspective!
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109930 Aug 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is a familiar idea. I do remember reading about it or hearing about it at some point but the details are extremely fuzzy in my mind.
It's interesting stuff. The earth doesn't give a damn about how it might inconvenience us.
and neither does "nature" huh.:-)
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109931 Aug 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Well alrighty then. If you aren't claiming that Noah's Ark was a real boat built by a family lead by a man over a hundred years of age who managed to gather two of ever god-damned animal on the planet then we have no quarrel.
Welllll...that could be...until anyone considers the thousands of "overlap" and GAP years as Proven by Science anyway...between "mito Adam and mito Eve"...with mito Adam OBVIOUSLY having been around on earth for a bit substantially more amount of time......
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109932 Aug 8, 2013
Nox Aeterna wrote:
<quoted text>
Our country was not in any way, shape, or form founded under God. If you look at the founding fathers you'd have a tough time finding a Christian amongst the bunch. Our country was founded on the principle of all men being equal, a government for the people, by the people, and of the people, and a government that didn't endorse or denounce any religion.
The separation of church and state were made very clear in the Constitution as well as the writings of several founding fathers, most prominently and often from Jefferson. This nation has been "under God" since 1954 when it was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in an effort to fight the godless communists during the Cold War. "In God We Trust" was added to our money on some coins in 1864, for the same reason. That motto hasn't even been constant, it's been taken off and put back on several times, but has been on every coin issued since 1938.
So, as you can see, this nation was NOT founded "under God". This is most evident in the Treaty of Tripoli, which was ratified in 1797 and whose first line reads: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".
So, get this "Christian nation" nonsense out of your head. This nation never has been, and likely never shall be, a "Christian nation".
Yeah, all those parts of the TEN COMMANDEMENTS and quite a few OTHER Biblical references are plastered ALL OVER D.C. just for "aesthetics".

Slither back under your dark, moss covered rocky denial liar of clueless ignorance now troll. At least until you can learn to ACCEPT reality. stop Lying and/or get a clue.
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109933 Aug 8, 2013
already teaching religion wrote:
I just graduated high school and i felt it was ogg that in my history class we spent a whole semester learning greek mythology . they have 12 gods. i mean we learned quite a bit about this religion that ppl worshiped and the sacrafices. and it wasn't even in high school it was in middle school. i could tell u more about this than i could the bible and I'm christian. i think that it would be good to teach as a part of history. After all spring break doesn't compare to the long break we have for winter because of Christmas. we learned about Ramadan and other things throughout school and i think it SHOULD be a part of the curriculum .
Beats being willfully ignorant, and living in denial of reality huh?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#109934 Aug 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does this doctrine come from? Prior to Moses I don't recall a whole lot of information in the Bible about priests and priesthoods. But then again it is a dreadfully boring book to read so I might have skimmed that part.
Let me see," But then again it is a dreadfully boring book to read so I might have skimmed that part"
Yet,were it not for the bible and God your life would be a complete waste of time.
That which you and the other Atheists deny exists,is your reason for living.
Evidenced by your daily routine of spending hours on end discussing that which you claim is nonexistent.
What would you do if you did not have God to discuss on a daily basis?

God is the only thing that is giving any meaning to your life.
I would venture to say, you all spend more time thinking about God than you do your own families..
Now, why is that?
What is driving that type of behaviour, on the surface it appears nonsensical?
What are you seeking? What is causing that anger which you display in your postings?
Youcouldntbemore Wrong

London, KY

#109935 Aug 8, 2013
Nox Aeterna wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the founding fathers you'd have a tough time finding a Christian amongst the bunch.
Flames of many a constitutional argument are fanned by the fact that the "Framers," the men who wrote the document in 1774, left little written record indicating their exact intent in some of the Constitution's key clauses. But, when explanatory personal notes or statements of the Framers can be found, they are almost always quoted by one or both sides in constitutional debates.
In committee meetings and floor debate on Rep. Aderholt's successful "Ten Commandments" amendment, to H.R. 1501, the "Consequences for Juvenile Offenders Act of 1999," supporting speakers cited several direct statements of the Framers on the question religion and the First Amendment. Here are just a few of those:
Oliver Ellsworth, third Chief Justice of the Supreme Court -- "The primary objects of government are peace, order, and prosperity of society. To the promotion of these objects, good morals are essential. Institutions for the promotion of good morals are therefore objects of legislative provision and support, and among these, religious institutions are eminently useful and important."
Henry Laurens -- "I had the honor of being one who framed the Constitution. In order effectually to accomplish these great constitutional ends, it is especially the duty of those who bear rule to promote and encourage respect for God and virtue."
President John Adams, a signer of the Bill of Rights -- "The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God and that there is no force of law in public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If 'thou shall not covet' and 'thou shall not steal' are not commandments of heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free."
Thomas Jefferson -- "No power to proscribe any religious exercise or to assume authority in religious discipline has been delegated to the Federal Government. It must, then, rest with the States."
President John Quincy Adams directly addresses the Ten Commandments --"The law given from Sinai was a civil and municipal code as well as a moral and religious code. These are laws essential to the existence of men in society and most of which have been enacted by every Nation which ever professed any code of laws. Vain indeed would be the search among the writings of secular history to find so broad, so complete and so solid a basis of morality as the Ten Commandments lay down."
------
Oliver Ellsworth was born on April 29, 1745, in Windsor, CT, to Capt. David and Jemima Ellsworth. He entered Yale in 1762 but transferred to the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) at the end of his second year. He continued to study theology and received his A.B. degree after 2 years
Richard Bassett - a devout Methodist, held religious meetings at Bohemia Manor, and supported the church financially. He died in 1815 at the age of 70 and is interred at the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery, Wilmington, DE.
Jacob Broom also found time for philanthropic and religious activities. He served on the board of trustees of the College of Wilmington and as a lay leader at Old Swedes Church. He died at the age of 58 in 1810 while in Philadelphia on business and was buried there at Christ Church Burial Ground.
Daniel Carroll was member of a prominent Maryland family of Irish descent. A collateral branch was led by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Daniel's older brother was John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States.

McHenry returned to his estate near Baltimore and to semiretirement. He remained a loyal Federalist and opposed the War of 1812. He also held the office of president of a Bible society.
FROM ARCHIVES.GOV : America Founding Fathers (just to name a few)
Youcouldntbemore Wrong

London, KY

#109936 Aug 8, 2013
Nox Aeterna wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the founding fathers you'd have a tough time finding a Christian amongst the bunch.
WRONG.

Flames of many a constitutional argument are fanned by the fact that the "Framers," the men who wrote the document in 1774, left little written record indicating their exact intent in some of the Constitution's key clauses. But, when explanatory personal notes or statements of the Framers can be found, they are almost always quoted by one or both sides in constitutional debates.
In committee meetings and floor debate on Rep. Aderholt's successful "Ten Commandments" amendment, to H.R. 1501, the "Consequences for Juvenile Offenders Act of 1999," supporting speakers cited several direct statements of the Framers on the question religion and the First Amendment. Here are just a few of those:
Oliver Ellsworth, third Chief Justice of the Supreme Court -- "The primary objects of government are peace, order, and prosperity of society. To the promotion of these objects, good morals are essential. Institutions for the promotion of good morals are therefore objects of legislative provision and support, and among these, religious institutions are eminently useful and important."
Henry Laurens -- "I had the honor of being one who framed the Constitution. In order effectually to accomplish these great constitutional ends, it is especially the duty of those who bear rule to promote and encourage respect for God and virtue."
President John Adams, a signer of the Bill of Rights -- "The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God and that there is no force of law in public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If 'thou shall not covet' and 'thou shall not steal' are not commandments of heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free."
Thomas Jefferson -- "No power to proscribe any religious exercise or to assume authority in religious discipline has been delegated to the Federal Government. It must, then, rest with the States."
President John Quincy Adams directly addresses the Ten Commandments --"The law given from Sinai was a civil and municipal code as well as a moral and religious code. These are laws essential to the existence of men in society and most of which have been enacted by every Nation which ever professed any code of laws. Vain indeed would be the search among the writings of secular history to find so broad, so complete and so solid a basis of morality as the Ten Commandments lay down."
------
Oliver Ellsworth was born on April 29, 1745, in Windsor, CT, to Capt. David and Jemima Ellsworth. He entered Yale in 1762 but transferred to the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) at the end of his second year. He continued to study theology and received his A.B. degree after 2 years
Richard Bassett - a devout Methodist, held religious meetings at Bohemia Manor, and supported the church financially. He died in 1815 at the age of 70 and is interred at the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery, Wilmington, DE.
Jacob Broom also found time for philanthropic and religious activities. He served on the board of trustees of the College of Wilmington and as a lay leader at Old Swedes Church. He died at the age of 58 in 1810 while in Philadelphia on business and was buried there at Christ Church Burial Ground.
Daniel Carroll was member of a prominent Maryland family of Irish descent. A collateral branch was led by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Daniel's older brother was John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States.

McHenry returned to his estate near Baltimore and to semiretirement. He remained a loyal Federalist and opposed the War of 1812. He also held the office of president of a Bible society.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#109937 Aug 8, 2013
YoucouldntbemoreWrong wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG.
------
The Founders were Slave Traders and Indian Murderers Stupid.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#109938 Aug 8, 2013
<quoted text>
WRONG.
------
The Founders where' Slave Traders and they slaughtered the Indians.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#109939 Aug 8, 2013
<quoted text>
WRONG.
------
The Founders were Slave Traders and slaughtered Indians.
uuummm

London, KY

#109941 Aug 8, 2013
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
The Founders were Slave Traders and they slaughtered Indians.
You mind your manners! Have you forgotten who you are talking to? That don't mean they can't be good upstanding Christian folks!
uuummm

London, KY

#109942 Aug 8, 2013
Tammie Johnson wrote:
This is all about politics. No one minded when our country was doing great and how it was founded under God. Now since our country has turned away from God, no good has come from it and it is just getting worse. Lord have mercy on us, I pray.
It was flippin' fantastic if you happened to be a wealthy, white, male, landowner.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#109943 Aug 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite wrong about most things as usual.
First, science does not try to disprove god. It doesn't cut god out of the picture. You need there to BE a god before you can cut it out.
Science proceeds from the null hypothesis: assume natural causes, assume that which requires the least amount of assumptions. Then go through the process of finding the best explanations to match the data. In order for god to be even part of that equation we'd have to know that god exists and what god is, at least to some degree.
We know nothing about god or gods other that what some people believe and what is written in story books.
Now, owing to the fact that science studies nature, obviously we assume life arose naturally. There is really no alternative to that idea if you want to do actual science. And it is a real bitch of a problem to solve. The origins of life are quite ancient and there might not be any significant clues left behind as to how it actually came about. All we can really do is search and offer ideas to be tested.
From your Bible perspective that is not good enough. You already have your answer, written in your book by ancient herders. You have no interest in learning anything new.
Answer this. If science was to suddenly acknowledge your god how exactly would they go about doing it? What sort of research or technical paper could be written on that subject? Do you have some god DNA or god poop we can examine? Can you point to a natural phenomenon that requires a supernatural explanation?
You could be famous overnight.
You are a rabid angry Atheist as evidenced by the foul words contained in many of your latest postings.
There is an unsurmountable gap between living and nonliving matter which Science is incapable of explaining by using natural means.
It is obvious that intelligent causes can accomplish things that undirected natural causes simply cannot.
This applies to the design and creation of both inanimate and living things.
Although science has been able to CREATE the building blocks of life, it has been unable to create the molecules that carry the information that produce life and it's continuation.
How did that information becomed part of these building blocks?
No one knows , no one can explain the natural causes that caused these events...
The creation of the Universe and all therein, including all the living species, was caused by a Supernatural event,not by accidental means...
Who caused it.....God Almighty.
Science can not explain God, nor will it find him in a lab experiment or in a test tube,,,,
If you want to knoew God, you must seek him and he will reveal himself...
To those who chose not to do that and keep insisting that they do not believe in his existence, may I again suggest that, you stop wasting your time debating something you don't believe in.
Then again, God may be so ingrained in your minds, that you can not help yourselves...
Which leads to the question, Why is it that your minds do not permit you to simply ignore that which you claim you do not believe in?
BTW,The building blocks that Science created , were created by Scientists designing and creating a means by which this could be accomplished,,,Not by accidental means...
The building blocks needed a creator....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mikey Bruner 1 min Andy Roo 27
Just curious Old Datsun 280Z 44 min Curious 8
Knox Schools 2 hr Luther 8
Is Donrick Blevins OK? 4 hr Well 12
Brittany spencer 7 hr Nick 1
Listen up people 8 hr humm 7
Dogs 11 hr wanted dogs and c... 2

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance