Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#109783 Aug 6, 2013
Worth watching... Not claiming it's all correct but the measures, mathematics and global positions can be verified as factual data....

http://youtu.be/ugWCRliG4Rg

Somerset, KY

#109784 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So if someone draws a picture, it must be of a real thing, or of something alive at the moment?
Ever think their could be another possibility other than your own version?
His view means that someone running across a copy of "The Hulk" in a few 1000 years will say we had giant green guys running amuck during our lives....

Or could it be that some folks while digging about ran into a fossil bed of "Dragon" bones and used their imaginations....
hemipowered

Evansville, IN

#109785 Aug 6, 2013
Maybe we should wait until they are in prison to expose them to a bible and right and wrong.
Gogo

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

#109786 Aug 6, 2013
If we live in a diverse place, wouldn't we want to know what the bible says? Or even what other's believe? What would you do to a friend who was different and diverse? Would you get to know them? I don't know if I would like the term bible study, I think its a friendship time cause Christianity is a relationship. Some people may argue that Christianity is a religion because it follows guidelines, but don't we all, especially to our parents?

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#109787 Aug 6, 2013
Gogo wrote:
If we live in a diverse place, wouldn't we want to know what the bible says? Or even what other's believe? What would you do to a friend who was different and diverse? Would you get to know them? I don't know if I would like the term bible study, I think its a friendship time cause Christianity is a relationship. Some people may argue that Christianity is a religion because it follows guidelines, but don't we all, especially to our parents?
Ate you actually trying to argue that Christianity isn't a religion? I've heard some wacky stuff out of Christians to try to subvert the laws regarding religion, but this one takes the cake.
flitterface

Inez, KY

#109788 Aug 6, 2013
Keep that religious mumbo-jumbo out of our public facilities - Ever heard of the 1st amendment?
guy

West Liberty, KY

#109789 Aug 6, 2013
Let the kids explore religion.

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#109790 Aug 6, 2013
guy wrote:
I agree, but on their own time. School is for education, not religion.

Somerset, KY

#109791 Aug 6, 2013
guy wrote:
Not a problem... there are these places called Church, on about every corner around these parts, so have at it..... But I guess if you want to teach church stuff in school then we should be allowed to teach science, biology, mathematics in church on Sundays right?
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109792 Aug 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you mean make shite up to fit a preconceived belief system... I'll pass and stick to evidence...
I really foudn this statement rather interesting-out of the labs of Live Science and one of the latest studies on the "Y" chromsone..

"Despite their overlap in time, ancient "Adam" and ancient "Eve" probably didn't even live near each other, let alone mate...."

(Ghose, T. "Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered" LiveScience.com . WEb August 1, 2013.)

Pardon moi a sec...(and I really do not like to partake of such bellicoseness" but...

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA " or a robust LOL..
Ohhhhhhhh myyyy, the proverbial IRONY meter---tilting OFF the scales with that one lol.

Live Science on "Who yo' baby daddy mitochondrial Eve???"

To which even the latest studies can Only reply "We DO NOT KNOW...we are STILL stymied by THAT bit of nucleic, UNknown data!!!!

I-RON-EE lol
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109793 Aug 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a problem... there are these places called Church, on about every corner around these parts, so have at it..... But I guess if you want to teach church stuff in school then we should be allowed to teach science, biology, mathematics in church on Sundays right?
still LOLing lol.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109794 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Keep on declaring yourself the winner of a debate that you have not even really debated.
Cut and pasting a statement is not debating. What you posted proves nothing. Of course in your mind, it does. But that is your biased mind.
Stand in line with the rest of the UNknown Y nucleic can't even admit they don't know, pea brains, mitochondrial unknown LOL.

Just try not to let your pitchfork poke anyone!
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109795 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and please at least make a point. As of yet, you have failed to do so. Maybe you did in your mind, but you forgot to type it.
Must be that maybe bit of nuclei unknown Y strand, makes it hard for your types to comprehend lol.

Ohhhhh the Irony lol.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109796 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I never said it should, so who are you arguing with? A government should not even suggest who you should worship. Respecting an establishment of religion is suggesting.
Now lets go back to Moses. He demanded all people worship his god. He murdered those who did not.
Your beliefs are based upon this man and his claims.
NO-- MINE are not.

Only YOUR belief (or in this case-mere opinion) is based upon that.

It's okay, that assumption of YOURS is probably just one of those recessive Y flaws, of the UNknown type, that causes your confusion with such.

IRONY lol.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109797 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then why did you cite the flood tale as a good philosophical story to tell?
I didn't. You said it was an immoral tale.

I said similar type parables often have much to offer-morally...then I went on to SHOW you a scientific link that encompassed rather well, some of my philosophy on regional floods geologically verified in the region, and thoughts as to lattitudes and logitudes of proximeties of, waether patterns etc etc.
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109798 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"Stations"? You mean ban the free press? Nope.
And why would you NOT do that--perhaps because this is AMERICA-NOT a land of robots programmed by commieTic dictators perhaps?
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109799 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am just trying to figure out what the good, moral message is to be had from the Noah tale.
All I see is a god that murders everyone and every animal. Where is the good moral story part?
I keep asking but no one seems able to produce an answer.
Is it, be moral or I will friggin murder you?
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
I think of parables that are more open to pondering like Noahs, or for another example, the Good Samaritan, the same as I would of, for instance, of the elements that can be found in Aesops tale of The Ant and the Grasshopper.
There is STILL, good Moral basis to be gleaned of such.
Patience humbleness (and faith at times as well) truly ARE virtues, little Y chromosonial grasshopper!!

(IRONY LOL)
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109800 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact is, Kentucky has no Koran class. So the point stands, Kentucky government is respecting an establishment of religion.
Most all of us do not mind the bible being used in school to teach mythology and ancient cultures, but the class in question is not doing this at all.
If the book is used for comparisons, I have no problem with it.
Kentucky does indeed have some courses that include briefly some aspects of the Koran, in varying relevent forms.
Perhaps not in the lower (pre-college) edu levels, but I've always stated that I felt the actually more :critical" courses such as that, should perhaps be reserved for the more advanced academia, for reasons quite obvious at times.

I know nothing about any class teaching Sunday school M-F, so sorry, cannot help you there...because it's not something I've ever seen being done.

Glad to read your last sentiment, stanzas of good literature is good literature, no matter WHAT book it might originate from!!
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109801 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why, because many in the middle east have no respect for freedom of religion? I know, just like Moses and Deuteronomy.
Teach the kids the comparison of how the religious books consistently promote no freedom of religion and how that contradicts what America was founded upon.
America was not founded upon mandating the citizens to respect others superstitions. It was founded upon allowing freedom to have superstitions.
If I make fun of your fear of the number 13, that is protected by the constitution. You see, their is this other freedom we Americans enjoy the bible has a contradictory view upon, freedom of speech. You see, even in the top ten commandments of the bible, freedom of speech is prohibited. Thou shalt not take the lords name in vain.
Seems to me you have confusion with "respecting" and "freedom". Maybe look the words up or something.
Vanity is a stupid thing...and some of the linguistics oin vain it sound more like dark age, emitted from things that live under rocks, barbaric curses than others.

EWE. Wash your mouth out, bite your tongue and count to ten!
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

#109802 Aug 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Is the government playing the rap and metal? Nope, so there is no connection to the situation in question.
The freedom of religion is for citizens. The restrictions on religion is for government. To have freedom for citizens, the government must be restricted. You cannot have it both ways.
You are trying to have your cake and eat it also.
You just said the SAME thing I've been saying..except I will add-religion is NOT "civil lawfully" alotted any special "restrictions" for anything that harms others in accordance to CIVIL law codes.

And neither should government be!!!

Now put the cake down and stop trying to eat it, it belongs to some else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
curious george 57 min friend 1
Any info on the bad wreck on 25e near bar. 6 hr friend 12
Fed up! 7 hr Duh 21
Keep deleting 7 hr Funny 15
WHo is the most unfit mother in Bville? (Dec '09) 9 hr Wonder 63
Hello Gray, Kentucky 9 hr Franklin 20
Check drawers 10 hr True Anon 22
state police 12 hr Elizabeth 17
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder (May '14) 15 hr singin in the pain 441
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]