Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
104,641 - 104,660 of 130,223 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First you wish us to believe king David was such a noble man and then he just messed up one giant time? Sorry but this tale seems extremely unlikely.
The one giant time is not so easily forgivable, and god was not transgressed. So god really has no authority to forgive for another.
The entire philosophy is back aswards. It fails to pass the logic test.
Just telling you what the Bible said. This was David's only sin

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

just my opinion wrote:
Isn't there a way that it could be taught and the parents have a choice as to whether their child did or did not attend that specific class? I myself think it is a good idea, but I can't speak for everyone. There is so much going on in our schools nowadays, maybe for some this will help. It's scary how things have become. When I attended high school, there was a class there, but it was our choice as to whether or not to attend. This is just my opinion.
Honestly, no. The Constitution forbids favoring any religion in a publicly funded institution. So, if they were to teach the Bible they'd also have to teach the books of every other faith. Schools simply don't have the resources to create all those new classes, as well as create a class for those who don't adhere to any faith to attend.

The idea of teaching any religion in public school is utterly stupid and those who support it only show they have no understanding of the Constitution and our 1st amendment freedom of, and from, religion.

If you want your children to learn the Bible then teach them at home or enroll them in a private parochial school.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish, drivel and absolute balderdash. I don't know anyone who says "that we owe our life and intelligence to some nonexisting ,nonliving nonintelligent power which was able to somehow,create living intelligent beings."
Your inability to extricate yourself from your belief in your god and the >personification of a non-god< indicates the depth of your delusions.
Atheists believe there is no God
Life and intelligence were created and,if not by a living intelligent being" GOD" then by whom or what?
If not by God,then what or who created the necessary ingredients to bring life into existence?
Which would lead us to conclude that Non living and Nonintelligent Nothing created Something out of Nothing and through some unknown process was able to create life and intelligence.
Yet, mankind,having life and intelligence is unable to explain or duplicate that which the nonliving and nonintelligent was able to accomplish.
To me,that stretches credulity into the realm of insanity.
But then,we find that those intelligent proponents of atheism,such as, Darwin, Thomas Huxley, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Sigmund Freud were found to be inflicted with severe mental problems....
It may be that;
" you don't know anyone who says "that we owe our life and intelligence to some nonexisting ,nonliving nonintelligent power which was able to somehow,create living intelligent beings."
They may not say it,but it is difficult to come to any other conclusion.
You can spin it,cut n dice it any way you want...
My uncle had a saying"No matter how expensive the perfume with which you spray a skunk,it is still a skunk....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists believe there is no God
Life and intelligence were created and,if not by a living intelligent being" GOD" then by whom or what?
If not by God,then what or who created the necessary ingredients to bring life into existence?
What part of:
"Your inability to extricate yourself from your belief in your god and the >personification of a non-god< indicates the depth of your delusions." did you not understand?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of:
"Your inability to extricate yourself from your belief in your god and the >personification of a non-god< indicates the depth of your delusions." did you not understand?
I would say from the responses... All of it....

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have majored in gibberish at the mental institution from which you got your degree
You have an obsession with the word "created" that leads to your inability to understand any mechanism other than "Goddiditwithmagic" or "afalsegoddiditwithmagic. "
SistaNoneYaBiz

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have an obsession with the word "created" that leads to your inability to understand any mechanism other than "Goddiditwithmagic" or "afalsegoddiditwithmagic. "
Notice the major DIFFERENCE in grammar usage of description..."Prose, Poetry"? Ahh, much more suitably defined! Curses to ignorance, give SOME of us actual enlightenment!

RELST 2724 - Intro to Hebrew Bible

The Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) is a repository of ancient Israelite religious, political, social, historical and literary traditions. For the modern reader these ancient traditions are often obscured by a focus on the text as revelation. The purpose of this course is to introduce students to the biblical world by reading the Hebrew Bible in translation, on its own terms, as a body of literature that evolved in an ancient Near Eastern context. The Bible itself will be the primary text for the course, but students will also be exposed to the rich and diverse textual traditions of the ancient Near East, including Mesopotamia, Egypt, Moab and Ugarit. In addition, this course will explore the impact of early biblical interpretation on shaping the monotheistic traditions inherited in the West. As participants in a secular course on the Bible, students will be challenged to question certain cultural assumptions about the composition and authorship of the Bible, and will be expected to differentiate between a text's content and its presumed meaning.

RELST 3713 - Mizrahi Literature: Poetry and Prose of Jews of the Muslim World in the 20th Century (also JWST/NES 3713)

In this course we will read a selection of works of Jews of the Muslim world in the 20th century, and follow the diversity of languages, genres and geography, and connect those to questions of community and immigration, Colonialism and nationalism, religion and secularization, Canon and its margins, tradition and identity. We will start with the tradition of the Piyut (Liturgical poetry) in Rabbinical Hebrew and Judeo-Arabic; We'll continue with the writing in Judeo-Spanish (Ladino), and discuss Sepharadic identity; We will then move to the writing in Colonial languages (mainly French and English); Then we'll follow the writing of Jews in literary Arabic, mainly in Iraq and Israel, and discuss Jewish-Arab identity; In the Israeli context we will move to discuss writing in Israeli Hebrew, and discuss Mizrahi identity. All readings will be in English.

“Topix Idiotae plena estut tibi”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Jutdontell wrote:
<quoted text>
Department of Religious Studies

and it goes on a bit...

GOD Bless America--Sooooo glad institutes of Higher edu do NOT buy(intothatnoweligion)bull of Commietic type narrow minded ignorance!!
These institutions of higher learning are all private schools, as they receive no public funding they are able to put whatever they like in their curriculum. Also, being that they are all Ivy League schools, it's unlikely they will have many students who blindly follow without question.

I've taken religious studies classes as well, they aren't faith based classes...they examine the religion, it's doctrine, and it's evolution. They are more akin to a history class than anything else, you study the influence of religion not the religion's holy books.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the major DIFFERENCE in grammar usage of description..."Prose, Poetry"? Ahh, much more suitably defined! Curses to ignorance, give SOME of us actual enlightenment!
RELST 2724 - Intro to Hebrew Bible
The Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) is a repository of ancient Israelite religious, political, social, historical and literary traditions. For the modern reader these ancient traditions are often obscured by a focus on the text as revelation. The purpose of this course is to introduce students to the biblical world by reading the Hebrew Bible in translation, on its own terms, as a body of literature that evolved in an ancient Near Eastern context. The Bible itself will be the primary text for the course, but students will also be exposed to the rich and diverse textual traditions of the ancient Near East, including Mesopotamia, Egypt, Moab and Ugarit. In addition, this course will explore the impact of early biblical interpretation on shaping the monotheistic traditions inherited in the West. As participants in a secular course on the Bible, students will be challenged to question certain cultural assumptions about the composition and authorship of the Bible, and will be expected to differentiate between a text's content and its presumed meaning.
RELST 3713 - Mizrahi Literature: Poetry and Prose of Jews of the Muslim World in the 20th Century (also JWST/NES 3713)
In this course we will read a selection of works of Jews of the Muslim world in the 20th century, and follow the diversity of languages, genres and geography, and connect those to questions of community and immigration, Colonialism and nationalism, religion and secularization, Canon and its margins, tradition and identity. We will start with the tradition of the Piyut (Liturgical poetry) in Rabbinical Hebrew and Judeo-Arabic; We'll continue with the writing in Judeo-Spanish (Ladino), and discuss Sepharadic identity; We will then move to the writing in Colonial languages (mainly French and English); Then we'll follow the writing of Jews in literary Arabic, mainly in Iraq and Israel, and discuss Jewish-Arab identity; In the Israeli context we will move to discuss writing in Israeli Hebrew, and discuss Mizrahi identity. All readings will be in English.
Yeah okay, everybody knows by now that you have a THO for Semitic history. So what?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>My name is mike and I am a Forman. I was baptized for the dead several times.
Your post makes me think I should send a formal request to be taken of the members list, if I am still on it.
Yeah, if you were on the Mormon list and you never asked to be taken off then you are still counted as a member. That sort of thing is not going to affect your life at all (we are talking about a fantasy organization, after all) but it irritates me that their numbers are artificially swollen.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>oh I forgot the Holy Ghost interpreted it differently for you.
Well I did not say, but you guys sure claim to know. That is the difference. You guys keep insisting something that cannot be known. So when YAA keeps telling us to thank god for the laws, I say he is making claims that cannot be known. This is why we think you guys make all sorts of claims one cannot know.
It is a trend.
Bingo.

If a religious experience is by nature personal then it cannot be a foundation for any sort of rational belief. It certainly can't be used to do any real work in the world. If nobody is talking about the same god-damned thing it's a circus.
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why education curriculums need to UPDATE themselves periodically to stay current.
New discoveries all the time that render parts of oldertheories as antiquated and dark age...especially in the field of evolution!
They do not want to, as any truth would point towards the Creator!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
YaA, you're falling "pray" to lump and labelDUHm collective stereotyping. That "labelduhm label" of "Christian" does NOT mean perfect with out fault for en masse stamping! Nor should it give license to those who claim it, to use it as some sort of leverage in partaking of NON-ethical behaviors either!!
All I have to say to them is...
Throw a dead dog in the backyard, wait 10,000 years for a lil dust to cover it, and see IF they match any fossils to date!
Only the lowest morons would believe that's how it happened!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
How far beyond the realms of their own habitats, do you think the tribe of Noah was able to write about seeing?
Are you suggesting, that when God told Noah, He was going to clean house...
He left a few stragglers???
Many civilizations recorded a Flood story, and Noah's kids
didn't sit around the house late in years, as they do now!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
How far beyond the realms of their own habitats, do you think the tribe of Noah was able to write about seeing?
I might also add Noah died at 950, so I'm sure His kids went many places!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, but was the first thing that popped into my head... And it really does not matter to the argument... We have found only a fraction of a percent of the variations in life that flourished 200 million years of the age of dino's... We have given the over broad title of Dinosaur to a whole plethora of animals from that period when what roamed the planet were as varied, if not more so, than the variations of today... There were warm, lukewarm and cold bloodied, lumbering, walking, running, and flying variations... And they Slowly evolved because the environments were stable or slowly changing until a big rock smacked us 65 million years ago and the Environment drastically changed and most life wiped... This open new places with less big guys to eat the little guys and more, different foods to try and evolution goes into high gear until all the critters fill and fit the new norm... Just like Evolution predicts would happen and is happening as we speak....
I Love it when Bob Beckle says something truly right...
And two seconds later....
What IF your dating methods were bunk... what would that
do to your theories???
Don't give me that "Many ways of dating" stuff...
Be honest... What IF?
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
To those with idiotic tendencies,that would appear to be idiotic.
To those of us who have experienced the power of God and Christ it is the power of God and Christ.
The misguided opinions of unbelievers will in no way have an adverse impact on what we believe to be true...
Our faith remains strong and undeterred.
Our God lives.....
AMEN!
None so Blind, as those who refuse to see!
love

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Yes!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder why organisms didn't evolve into dinosaurs again?
A GREAT point Many of them will refute...
Don't confuse them with facts!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If you think what is claimed of Moses shows us their must be a god, you do not know what evidence is.
Moses was a tyrannical dictator who murdered his own people for not worshiping the god he claimed existed.
Now you might see this as evidence of what you should worship, but I have higher standards.
No, I do not "got to have faith".
What God told Moses...
Proves without a doubt, that God is God, and there is NO other!
What ever you want to follow, is Your choice, but with what God
did... you can only deny... you cannot refute!
God is Real... He Proved it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Cornelius Scudmister 149,837
Charmaine Partin 8 min Not surpised 3
Churches 45 min IronHammer 2
Looking for a place to rent ASAP 5 hr Momolovesmatthew 1
selfless love witnessed 5 hr IronHammer 1
Sheriff deputies 5 hr cant wait 16
kenfra bimgham smith 7 hr old friend 2
puppet masters of knox co. who are they? 8 hr Brain dead 8

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs