Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,402

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#109191 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So "widely accepted" proves what? Islam is widely accepted, Hinduism is widely accepted. Need I continue?
Being widely accepted by people who are mostly ignorant of many of the things Washington said about religion certainly does not impress me.

Did you miss my post about Providence? Did you not comprehend my post about providence? I do not agree with you at all. If you think I agreed with you, go back and read my post again more carefully and thoughtfully.
Ignorant? Lets see you write some history books. Must anyone that disagrees with you be ignorant?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109192 Jul 29, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder.
CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.
It is amazing how a study showing that Unbelievers have a higher rate of mental and addiction problems than the norm,will suddenly and conveniently remind Atheists that they used to have a drinking problem when they were believers ,or, as in the case of The Witch,he/she now confesses to have had Emotional problems before he converted to Atheism,,, Whoda thunk it
Another idiotic line used by the feebleminded"I became an Ahteist after I read the Bible"
Of course it might be that there are more crazy people who find that religion is a workable crutch than sane atheists who don't need it...

Location hidden

#109193 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>What's the difference? A bunch of people coming back from the dead would be HUGE NEWS. It would have lasting repercussions in history. The absence of even the scantest evidence strongly suggests it is a fiction.
In the resurrection we will not be left to walk the earth. That's the difference.

Location hidden

#109194 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>That's called being credulous. Hear a voice in your head, do what it tells you...check into the insane asylum.

Can you offer some demonstration of evidence to support the idea that such a thing as a "holy ghost" exists? By what means would you prove such a thing without throwing intellectual honesty out the window and relying on blind faith?
Yes, I have on here before.

Location hidden

#109195 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I know you "feel" you explain yourself clearly about things, but if you note from me and several posters here, you do not. You bait and switch. You avoid direct questions like the plague, just as you did here.
No, I just grow tired of repeating the same stories to you over and over. Not avoiding, just not repeating.
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109196 Jul 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Have you seen some of the statements of this new Pope, that look much more tolerant than previous Catholic doctrine? Some of the best liberals in Congress are liberal Catholics, and some of the great radicals are liberation theory Catholics. I am so glad to be rid of Pope ratty, as I thought of him, the one with the Nazi background.
I still take the view that even agnostic atheist skeptic types (if on the left) can find much ethical common ground with the believers on the left - if leftist both on theology and ethics. I still favor whatever coalition is big enough to defeat the rightwing nutcases, who are backed by big money interests, and vast masses of ignorance.
Interesting, especially since "love" of money IS often truly the root of Evil.

The new Pope seems to be a rather interesting, NON BIGOTED man (as sould be)...personally I think they made a good choice (hopefully!!)

"New Living Translation (©2007)
Matthew 7:16
You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

----------
Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists.

During his homily at Wednesday Mass in Rome, Francis emphasized the importance of "doing good" as a principle that unites all humanity, and a "culture of encounter" to support peace.

Using scripture from the Gospel of Mark, Francis explained how upset Jesus' disciples were that someone outside their group was doing good, according to a report from Vatican Radio.

“They complain,” the Pope said in his homily, because they say,“If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good.” And Jesus corrects them:“Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good.” The disciples, Pope Francis explains,“were a little intolerant,” closed off by the idea of &#8203;&#8203;possessi ng the truth, convinced that “those who do not have the truth, cannot do good.”“This was wrong ... Jesus broadens the horizon.” Pope Francis said,“The root of this possibility of doing good – that we all have – is in creation”
(

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#109197 Jul 29, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wit ya.
That is precisely why I have been criticizing the gibberish you have been posting about the bible.
And not only that........Using more than 1 moniker......
Now,let me ask you;
Would you not agree that your time would be spent more effectively trying to resolve the mental and social problems that
afflict Atheists instead of spending all this time worrying about my grammar?
There is no mental or social problem afflicting atheists that don't afflict everyone else, you complete nutjob.

Location hidden

#109198 Jul 29, 2013
De Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you CLAIMING that Hitler never put sodium fluoride in the water and that America doesn't do that to the public to this day?
You might need to look into that. And no ignorance is not bliss.
And I guess you missed the part in the Declaration of Independence where it states the creator? Hmmm, I wonder who they are talking about? hahahaha
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Are you claiming that "Thou shalt not commit murder" is not in the United States Laws? Seriously? Not to difficult to figure out.
Or how about "Thou shalt not steal"? I'm guessing you missed that one too?
Floride is put into the water in the USA. What's your point?

Hitler probably took a sh*t once a day. Do people who take a sh*t once a day kill millions of Jews?

Do you understand what Deism is? Do you know what the Enlightenment was? Do you understand that most of the central thinkers involved in framing the US Constitution were heavily influenced by the Enlightenment?

Have you ever wondered why none of those documents mention Jesus or the Bible? In fact, the only reason Jefferson even gave a nod to any idea of a god was because he wanted it to be palatable to people of the time. And virtually everyone in that time was a Christian, thus they believed in a god.

And before you make your next logical fallacy: Everyone working for Honda could be a jazz fan. That would not make Honda automobiles jazz automobiles.

Location hidden

#109199 Jul 29, 2013
De Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you really are asleep. I guessed someone would attack my grammar at the end of my statement and I was right on. You avoided all the information I posted previously and sure enough like clockwork, you attack the grammar. This is fun. Tick, tock, tick, tock.
Seriously though, you need to wake up. Try to stop watching ALL tv for 2 weeks and stop drinking the tap water (drink filtered, reverse osmosis water instead), and in the morning before you get out of bed, drink an 8 ounce glass of distilled water everyday to clear the toxins out and see if you don't feel any different...more aware of what is going on.
Don't get mad, just try it.
Peace.
I don't watch TV.

Also, I never attacked your grammar. I was responding to someone else and I was referring to a different person on here who seems incapable or unwilling to learn how to compose sentences.

Location hidden

#109200 Jul 29, 2013
De Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, aliens are demons, and Satan did alter the DNA back before the days of Noah, there were giants and all kinds of freaky hybrids. Just go on youtube and look up giant skeletons.(the real media) That's why God destroyed the earth with the flood. You can find that in all kinds of ancient history from different parts of the world.
And of course you can find the answers in the Bible. Its whether you believe it or not, and you obviously don't believe it because you don't know the truth. You probably think we came from aliens like that show Ancient Aliens says. Stop watching the tv. Ever wonder why they call it TV PROGRAMMING??? You are being programmed. Hello? Don't get mad, I was asleep too not to long ago.
The schools only teach you what they want you to learn. The news only shows you what they want you to see. Start questioning all of it and you will find out the truth. It's like the matrix movie except you aren't hooked up to wires and fed through tubes and inside a shell.
Ever wonder why all those wealthy guys like Bill Gates drop out of College? Because they can't learn anything there. They program the kids to follow the rule established, not to think outside of the box.
You are absolutely insane. Perhaps more so than some of the others on here. And that's an incredible feat.

Also, Ancient Aliens is one of the stupidest things TV has ever been disgraced enough to air. Both the History and Discovery Channels are completely idiotic and have nothing to do with history or discovery.
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109201 Jul 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there are far more Christians in jails and mental institutions than there are atheists. Oops?
That's usually after the fact...once they were forced to face the fact, that they were sick minds prior to.
Some oops ARE truly unintentional, it's the ones that are not-w/out any justifiable reason-that are the evil and/or Sick in the head ones.

Location hidden

#109202 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Just to be clear, it is well documented that stealing and murder were laws in most lands long before the ten commandments were presented, so those laws were not "based" upon the commandments. They are based upon common moral reasoning.
To bad Moses could not even follow his own rules.
Yeah. No doubt.

And it's also telling that the commandments read like a peace treaty. The treaties of the time usually started with long passages about how great the ruler is and how upon signing the treaty you will have no other rulers before you.

The Hebrews were writing their book based on what they knew. The Ten Commandments were formulated very similar to those treaties they would have been familiar with. Making a treaty with a god, basically. A pact. A covenant. Etc.
Sometvisgoodtv

London, KY

#109203 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't watch TV.
Also, I never attacked your grammar. I was responding to someone else and I was referring to a different person on here who seems incapable or unwilling to learn how to compose sentences.
We won't mention the the levels of toxins in drinking water due to 47 percent plaskit levels due to pollution from vs percent plankton.

Location hidden

#109204 Jul 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have on here before.
I didn't see that memo. Is there documentation of this experiment in a peer reviewed journal? Or it this a matter of faith? Because I can tell you exactly how much merit one has compared to the other.
Sometvisgoodtv

London, KY

#109205 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. No doubt.
And it's also telling that the commandments read like a peace treaty. The treaties of the time usually started with long passages about how great the ruler is and how upon signing the treaty you will have no other rulers before you.
The Hebrews were writing their book based on what they knew. The Ten Commandments were formulated very similar to those treaties they would have been familiar with. Making a treaty with a god, basically. A pact. A covenant. Etc.
Be nice if Palestine would grow up and figure out they're not the only ones on this earth,and quit terrorizing Israel all the damn time huh?
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109206 Jul 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it might be that there are more crazy people who find that religion is a workable crutch than sane atheists who don't need it...
If it's not hurting themselves or others..a lot of people have "crutches".
Moderation is always a GOOD thing then, because anything extreme, tends not to be.
HealthyMindandSo ul

London, KY

#109207 Jul 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I did not read polls. I read history books, and encyclopedias when younger. I did book reports and things like that in school. Remember those? Why do you people think polls prove anything?
Statistics seem far more reputable.
why not

West Liberty, KY

#109208 Jul 29, 2013
Why not let them study whatever they want
HealthyMindandSo ul

London, KY

#109209 Jul 29, 2013
why not wrote:
Why not let them study whatever they want
That would make too much sense-and seems an especially diffi-cult concept for the power tripping commieTIC types to grasp.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109210 Jul 29, 2013
SisterNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
That's usually after the fact...once they were forced to face the fact, that they were sick minds prior to.
Some oops ARE truly unintentional, it's the ones that are not-w/out any justifiable reason-that are the evil and/or Sick in the head ones.
No, roughly 80% of the US population claims to be Christian, and that directly correlates to the 80% of inmates who also claim to be Christian. It has nothing to do with fooling parole boards or seeing the error of their ways though born again salvation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 2 hr band-aid 30
jail tracker/knox county detention center not t... (Aug '11) 4 hr does it matter 10
Mike Warren, will you be the next judge executive? 5 hr Big0 1
Mike Warren, will you be the next judge? 5 hr Big0 1
El Mariachi Restaurant 5 hr liers 4
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 5 hr just saying 41
Indictments 6 hr John 86
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 7 hr Samuel Adams 73
Mike Warren embezzled money? 11 hr nocrook 18
If McGhee is this dirty in Campaign, Imagine on... 12 hr curious 22

Freeze Watch for Knox County was issued at October 30 at 10:32PM EDT

Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search