Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,396

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108943 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Fools and idiots need correction....
All 4 of the Gospels,which includes Mark, mention the resurrection.
Because your minds have been dulled and you are unable to see, has led you and Viagio to make foolish, unintelligible and totally lacking in credibility, absurd statements.
That you continuously misinterpret what is written in the Bible is quite obvious by your inane postings.
Viagio is living proof that Atheists are afflicted with mental disorders.....Not only him,but the other Atheist poster that accompanies you in sharing 10 monikers.
Your abilities to distort,misquote and misrepresent what is written in the Bible is more than ample proof of your deteriorating mental conditions.
Ignorance is the Key to Atheism
Ok, I looked it up and it does have mention of it. I am man enough to admit a wrong.

Now if you truly believe the claims, then are you going to test the claims? Do you drink poison and heal the sick daily? If not, why?

Mark 16:14-18

English Standard Version (ESV)
The Great Commission

14 Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15 And he said to them,“Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#108944 Jul 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The bible claims on the day Jesus was executed, the dead rose from the graves all over Jerusalem. Funny, not a word of this event was ever recorded in that day or even decade. It was not claimed in Mark. It was claimed several decades latter. Clearly not very many people believed the claim until centuries latter after Constantine made it the official religion of the Roman empire.
I would expect if Jesus came back from the dead and proved the doubters wrong, their would be a huge movement to embrace his claims immediately. But the slow growth of Christianity shows the story is more likely pure myth.
Clearly the holyhatebible is a work of fiction.
Glad to be foreign

Auckland, New Zealand

#108945 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, dude, seriously? You are going to tell me that you can't see all the prophecies that foretell Christ? Even though His name is not mentioned?
Jesus is the only person that ever lived that has had any claim to fulfilling the prophecies that only the Son of God could perform, because He was not simply a man. Jesus had to fulfill all prophecies mentioned in the OT. The only reason Jews didn't believe Him is because they misunderstood that His kingdom was not on this earth like they thought.
Please just google the prophesies that foretell the coming of Jesus. This is so easy to look up.
The jesus stories.......are all myths or legends created from incidents that were generated by coincidence, then enhanced by embellishment, wishful thinking and believed in by the gullible and stupid.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#108947 Jul 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The bible claims on the day Jesus was executed, the dead rose from the graves all over Jerusalem. Funny, not a word of this event was ever recorded in that day or even decade. It was not claimed in Mark. It was claimed several decades latter. Clearly not very many people believed the claim until centuries latter after Constantine made it the official religion of the Roman empire.
I would expect if Jesus came back from the dead and proved the doubters wrong, their would be a huge movement to embrace his claims immediately. But the slow growth of Christianity shows the story is more likely pure myth.
Have you seen some of the statements of this new Pope, that look much more tolerant than previous Catholic doctrine? Some of the best liberals in Congress are liberal Catholics, and some of the great radicals are liberation theory Catholics. I am so glad to be rid of Pope ratty, as I thought of him, the one with the Nazi background.

I still take the view that even agnostic atheist skeptic types (if on the left) can find much ethical common ground with the believers on the left - if leftist both on theology and ethics. I still favor whatever coalition is big enough to defeat the rightwing nutcases, who are backed by big money interests, and vast masses of ignorance.
dave

Gamaliel, KY

#108948 Jul 27, 2013
wells
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#108949 Jul 27, 2013
this was to curious, who isn't openminded curious, more like grand inquisitor curious. maybe a relative of Cong Issa? I love your name, and am always glad to see your comments. I do not remember the other two commenters. I think it is sometimes funny and sometimes possible when there are accusations of using multiple names. I think it is occasionally fun - given my town location which makes it clear that it is still me playing - to use a topical name that refers to the issue discussed, and I used Mother Earth once in an environmental discussion.
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. Your delusion blinds you.
<quoted text>
As usual, it scares you to think there are really so many of us.
Keep right on denying reality, honey. You are good at it.
<quoted text>
No. As I have said before, I only post as aWitchintheWoods.
It's a great name. Why wouldn't I use it?
However it doesn't matter what I say as you will continue to live in your happy little fantasy.
<quoted text>
I don't know what happened to them.
SP's language was a bit over the top, so I suppose it could have gotten him banned but I never saw Ummm say anything distasteful.
On the contrary, his posts were very well-spoken, educated and intelligent. I miss them both though. Couple of interesting guys.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108950 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>That is... Keep "YOUR" religion of Evilution out of our schools, as it is a total lie!
We can adapt to certain circumstances, but Man in the Beginning was still Man at the end...
We did not come from Pond scum!
What does this have to do with your claim that evolution is trying to prove god a myth? Again you divert.
You can claim it is a lie if you wish, but the evidence shows it is true.
Now that I addressed your diversion, please show us where evolution claims god does not exist? And again, my name is not evolution. I am not evolution. Evolution is a theory of how life evolves.

“There is no god.”

USA

#108952 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I was referring to the part where Mormons on both sides of the war meet.
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious. Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#108953 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh Yes!
I was watching a show about how our Periodic table came about..
The guy had huge desk that had the table on it, and in
the squares were lids, that held a sample of the material...
Awesome... Until he HAD to inject Evilutional theory into it!
When it came to "O"! He just had to say "O" wasn't here in the beginning to align the narrative of how Evilutionists believe Life began on earth... NOTHING, but Pure CONJECTURE!
Much like the rest of Their Theory... "Pure CONJECTURE"!
Irreducible complexity sends stares them in the face, and
they close their eyes tightly... They cannot stand the Light!
You actually don't know that life does not require oxygen do you, poor thing....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108954 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>And Eve didn't listen to God, but fell to satan's Lies...
Go figure... The Bible speaks about Believers believing a lie!
If you'd have read it, as you say... you'd know this!
I think you've lied, or just being a Tard....
Which is it???
Whether evolution is a lie or not, I still proved your claim as false. God believers do often believe in evolution. It is a fact that is easily provable, so quit making false claims to push your agenda.
In a roundabout way, you admitted I was correct.
Deal with actual facts, then we can have a reasonable debate.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108955 Jul 27, 2013
Glad to be foreign wrote:
<quoted text>
Your theory on "christians" recovering more quickly from illness, or have a less stressful outlook on thinks in general is because they live in a state of fictional bliss and don't have a grasp of or refuse to accept life's realities. Another decscription is that Americans believe in this religion garbage because they are gullible and stupid.
Mine is not a theory...Scientific studies have determined what I posted to be accurate...
Other than nonsense and Gibberish,What is your opinion based on?
May be the result of too many Kangaroo boxing matches left your brain in an addled stage?
Tie me kangaroo down mate....LOL

The key to Atheism is Ignorance

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108956 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>And Eve didn't listen to God, but fell to satan's Lies...
Go figure... The Bible speaks about Believers believing a lie!
If you'd have read it, as you say... you'd know this!
I think you've lied, or just being a Tard....
Which is it???
I am well aware many believers of god fall prey to lies. This has been the root of the atheist pleas here. We feel the heart of the bible is but lies. You and I believe the Koran is full of lies.
The difference is, I do not use double standards.

“There is no god.”

USA

#108958 Jul 27, 2013

Mirrorman - Jesus didn't write a single word of the New Testament.

Dim wit - George Washington didn't write much of anything either.
Therefore god in a jesus suit exists.

Mirrorman - Now you're not being honest, George wrote a lot.
(offers links to back up claim)

Dim wit - I don't follow links.
You just don't understand.
You struggle to believe Jesus even existed.
I believe the scriptures are true.

Mirrorman - What George wrote can be verified. We can not even show jesus existed.

Dim wit - My point was that I believe in the Holy Ghost.

Lmao.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108959 Jul 27, 2013
The Atheist Syndrome: A Psychopathology of Unbelief
“The fool hath said in his heart,‘There is no God.’” So wrote David in diagnosing the problem of unbelief three thousand years ago.

But is foolishness the only problem? Might it not be compounded by something else, something over which the skeptic has no control? John Koster thinks so. And he tries, in The Atheist Syndrome, to establish his case.

Koster’s thesis is that the major proponents of atheism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries all have suffered from a form of mental illness that he dubs “the atheist syndrome.
” Applying Freudian psychoanalysis to the likes of Charles Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Sigmund Freud himself, Koster concludes that their fear of domineering and abusive fathers transformed itself into hatred of the God their fathers represented to them. That hatred led to an irrational rejection of biblical truth and an embracing of falsehood — whether scientific materialism, occultism, or delusions of grandeur.

Koster further argues that their obsessive hatred was not limited to their fathers and God: self-hatred emerged when these brilliant men recognized in themselves what they hated in their fathers. Then came clinical depression, sexual perversion, psychogenic diseases, and ultimate collapse.

Christians who are tired of seeing the faith bashed by devotees of evolutionism, scientistic humanism, nihilism, and Freudianism will not be able to help finding Koster’s analysis appealing. Clarence Darrow, Adolf Hitler, Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, Vladimir Ulyanov Lenin, Jean Paul Sartre, and Albert Camus all seem to wither under his gaze. In the final analysis, the thesis might be right.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108960 Jul 27, 2013
By Randal Rauser

If the new atheists distinguished themselves from the milquetoast atheism that preceded them by their honing of a sharper rhetorical knife, James Spiegel's book The Making of an Atheist responds with the razor sharp edge of a Samurai sword. If the new atheists have specialized in sweeping assertions about the questionable rationality of Christians, Spiegel one-ups them with sweeping assertions about the morality of atheism. If the new atheists have berated Christians as a bit soft in the head, Spiegel returns the favor by leveling a charge of corruption in the soul.
Get it? The picture ain't pretty.
Atheism, says Spiegel, is not really an "intellectual movement". Rather, "It is little more than moral rebellion cloaked in academic regalia. The new atheists are blinded by their own sin." Atheism shirks an "objective assessment of evidence" because of "stubborn disobedience" and "willful rebellion". It is "the suppression of truth by wickedness, the cognitive consequence of immorality. In short, it is sin that is the mother of unbelief."
And that's just in the first few pages of the first chapter!
While Spiegel believes that, biblically speaking, atheist are fools, he stresses that this is not foolishness as mere ignorance. Atheists are not "simply obtuse or feeble-minded". Rather, they are in deep moral rebellion. He explains:
"When smart people go in irrational directions, it is time to look elsewhere than reasoning ability for an explanation. And Scripture gives us clear direction as to where we should look. Consider the psalmist's declaration that `the fool says in his heart,`There is no God'" (Psalm 14:1). The Hebrew term rendered `fool' here denotes a person who is `morally deficient.' And elsewhere in the Old Testament Wisdom Literature we learn of various symptoms of this moral deficiency. The book of Proverbs says `a fool finds no pleasure in understanding'(Proverbs 18:2), that `fools despise wisdom and discipline'(Proverbs 1:7), that `a fool finds pleasure in evil conduct'(Proverbs 10:23) and is `hotheaded and reckless'(Proverbs 14:16)." "It is not intelligence they lack so much as self-control and the right values."
Spiegel provides other scriptures to support his provocative thesis. For instance, he observes of Ephesians 4:17-19: "The root of the problem, apparently, is not a lack of intelligence but rather a hardness of heart that is itself caused by immoral behavior." He cites John 3:19-21, "men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil", and then observes:
"Note also Jesus' point that evildoers do not simply ignore or reject the light but actually `hate' it. If this is so, then we should expect some atheists to display a certain amount of bitterness and even rage toward the idea of God. And, of course, this is just what we find among many atheists, especially the leaders of the new atheism."
But the most important passage for Spiegel's provocative thesis is Romans 1:18-21:
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
After quoting Romans 1 Spiegel concludes:
"In this passage Paul makes clear that the problem with those who don't believe in God is not lack of evidence. On the contrary, God has made His existence and attributes so `plain' and `clearly seen' from creation that belief is inexcusable. He also explains how, in spite of this, some reject the truth, specifically through immoral behavior."
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#108961 Jul 27, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>
Mentally diseased is their words not mine. Shunning is a huge part of their beliefs and they quote many scriptures to back up their claim. In one of their recent magazines they said not to even send an email to a family member that was shunned. Hanging out with such ones will get you shunned as well. I have no reason to praise anyone who is a JW because they sure the hell wouldn't praise anyone that was considered an Apostate as I am. I have no use for a cult that harms children.
I oppose that cult and all cults. But
I simiply refuse to think all persons who have been victimized by brainwashing as children, and still believe in the nonsense, are bad persons as individuals. I feel sorry for victims of brainwashing who never learned logical thinking, and I like kind persons - even if they are foolish regarding religion, but only so far as they are kind.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108962 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine is not a theory...Scientific studies have determined what I posted to be accurate...
Other than nonsense and Gibberish,What is your opinion based on?
May be the result of too many Kangaroo boxing matches left your brain in an addled stage?
Tie me kangaroo down mate....LOL
The key to Atheism is Ignorance
"Studies"? So you have more than one study to cite? Do you know what a plural is?
I love how you cling to a single study and claim it as absolute truth, yet you dismiss the many thousands and thousands of studies on evolution.
Not to mention, you misstate that study time and time again.
I base much of my opinion on nonsense statements like "May be the result of too many Kangaroo boxing matches left your brain in an addled stage". My judgment resulting in such statements leads me to conclude you are hate-filled.
My opinion of you based upon your misstating the study you keep citing is that you have extreme bias and do not fully comprehend what you read. You twist the claims to say something they did not say.
My opinion of the double standard you have towards studies, is that you are either knowing lie to promote an agenda or you are in denial to keep your faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108963 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
“The fool hath said in his heart,‘There is no God.’” So wrote David in diagnosing the problem of unbelief three thousand years ago.
David, the rootless dictator who sent his best friend to the front lines of war to die in order to hide the pregnancy he caused to his best friends wife, and then ultimately married her, and had children that are claimed to be the lineage to Jesus?

And we should listen to his advice, why? The man had motive to lie. He had motive to claim to know the mind of god.
I see king David as the moral equivalency of Saddam Hussein.

Now you might put such dictators on a pedestal, but I will not.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108964 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
But is foolishness the only problem? Might it not be compounded by something else, something over which the skeptic has no control? John Koster thinks so. And he tries, in The Atheist Syndrome, to establish his case.
Koster’s thesis is that the major proponents of atheism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries all have suffered from a form of mental illness that he dubs “the atheist syndrome.
” Applying Freudian psychoanalysis to the likes of Charles Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Sigmund Freud himself, Koster concludes that their fear of domineering and abusive fathers transformed itself into hatred of the God their fathers represented to them. That hatred led to an irrational rejection of biblical truth and an embracing of falsehood — whether scientific materialism, occultism, or delusions of grandeur.
Koster further argues that their obsessive hatred was not limited to their fathers and God: self-hatred emerged when these brilliant men recognized in themselves what they hated in their fathers. Then came clinical depression, sexual perversion, psychogenic diseases, and ultimate collapse.
Christians who are tired of seeing the faith bashed by devotees of evolutionism, scientistic humanism, nihilism, and Freudianism will not be able to help finding Koster’s analysis appealing. Clarence Darrow, Adolf Hitler, Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, Vladimir Ulyanov Lenin, Jean Paul Sartre, and Albert Camus all seem to wither under his gaze. In the final analysis, the thesis might be right.
So atheists are simply a product of their poor Christian upbringing?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108966 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
By Randal Rauser
If the new atheists distinguished themselves from the milquetoast atheism that preceded them by their honing of a sharper rhetorical knife, James Spiegel's book The Making of an Atheist responds with the razor sharp edge of a Samurai sword. If the new atheists have specialized in sweeping assertions about the questionable rationality of Christians, Spiegel one-ups them with sweeping assertions about the morality of atheism. If the new atheists have berated Christians as a bit soft in the head, Spiegel returns the favor by leveling a charge of corruption in the soul.
Get it? The picture ain't pretty.
Atheism, says Spiegel, is not really an "intellectual movement". Rather, "It is little more than moral rebellion cloaked in academic regalia. The new atheists are blinded by their own sin." Atheism shirks an "objective assessment of evidence" because of "stubborn disobedience" and "willful rebellion". It is "the suppression of truth by wickedness, the cognitive consequence of immorality. In short, it is sin that is the mother of unbelief."
And that's just in the first few pages of the first chapter!
While Spiegel believes that, biblically speaking, atheist are fools, he stresses that this is not foolishness as mere ignorance. Atheists are not "simply obtuse or feeble-minded". Rather, they are in deep moral rebellion. He explains:
"When smart people go in irrational directions, it is time to look elsewhere than reasoning ability for an explanation. And Scripture gives us clear direction as to where we should look. Consider the psalmist's declaration that `the fool says in his heart,`There is no God'" (Psalm 14:1). The Hebrew term rendered `fool' here denotes a person who is `morally deficient.' And elsewhere in the Old Testament Wisdom Literature we learn of various symptoms of this moral deficiency. The book of Proverbs says `a fool finds no pleasure in understanding'(Proverbs 18:2), that `fools despise wisdom and discipline'(Proverbs 1:7), that `a fool finds pleasure in evil conduct'(Proverbs 10:23) and is `hotheaded and reckless'(Proverbs 14:16)." "It is not intelligence they lack so much as self-control and the right values."
Spiegel provides other scriptures to support his provocative thesis. For instance, he observes of Ephesians 4:17-19: "The root of the problem, apparently, is not a lack of intelligence but rather a hardness of heart that is itself caused by immoral behavior." He cites John 3:19-21, "men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil", and then observes:
"Note also Jesus' point that evildoers do not simply ignore or reject the light but actually `hate' it. If this is so, then we should expect some atheists to display a certain amount of bitterness and even rage toward the idea of God. And, of course, this is just what we find among many atheists, especially the leaders of the new atheism."
But the most important passage for Spiegel's provocative thesis is Romans 1:18-21:
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the

EDITED FOR SPACE...
Again, when you cut a paste your propaganda, leave some space for our comments.
This guys entire hypothesis is based upon the claim of immorality of atheists. I wonder if he can show evidence atheists are immoral, or are atheists due to their immorality?
He claims atheists have an agenda to "suppress truth". What truth are we suppressing and how are we doing this?

Truth can be revealed in debate. Funny how I see so many Christians here running from so many of the points I bring up.
I await a believer to test this claim.
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who will you vote for as jailer 10 min Truth 34
Knox County Jail 15 min Truth 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 30 min Princess Hey 305
who will you vote for as senator 32 min Bree_Z 3
Family Court Judge 47 min really 50
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 53 min Bree_Z 3,572
Illegal coon hunting going Davis bend road 1 hr Scuzzies 8
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs