Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156440 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#109093 Jul 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to have that opinion. And I am really not offended that you call me gullible and stupid. Anyone that hasn't experienced the things that I have, I expect to be ignorant on the subject and doubt those that have.
I am glad to hear you understand it is reasonable to doubt you and your claims.
A major reason I do not believe the claims of the bible is due to the clear lack of understanding unbelief your god has. He demands belief yet gives no evidence of actually being so.
This is highly unreasonable. I see no logic in this demand, thus I doubt all the more.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109094 Jul 28, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>
Really man? The first prophesy fulfilled was "Messiah would be born of a woman." How can that not be Jesus?
Women cannot hold the priesthood silly. Let the men do the mans job. We men can be the only gods.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109096 Jul 28, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha. If he was born of a male then wouldn't everyone just call him an asshole baby? He would of had a hard time shaking that nickname in the school yard.
The fact that they claim that it's the first fulfilling prophesy just sets the tone for the rest. Why even put that one in there? Even worse, why try and back it with scripture?
Well their is the strange lineage to king David in the bible that links both Mary and Joseph just to be on the safe side of the prophesy.
I mean gods must have a lineage to royalty, right, even if this means some incest.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109097 Jul 28, 2013
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why are kids are unruley. Byast and all the other because People can't face the truth..Our God gave his son for our redemption.If Ky gave a hoot and really believed in our GOD The one that has kept us so far, they wouldn't be all this going on.. Get the new president out cause apparently he is not for our God and the things the past presidents worked for and believed in . Have Not you seen that since this been going on (Taking GOD OUT) how things are depreciating?Wake up NUTS?? Do u not know?
Strange how the ones so insistent the bible be taught in schools write as if they never graduated from high school.
Just wanted to note a cause and effect that has more logic than the one this guy just made.
I have noted no great departure of agendas Obama has had over past presidents of his party. Can you name any?
In case you did not notice, Bush spoke of god and Jesus a bit and yet things depreciated.
Why do Christians consistently have double standards?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109098 Jul 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Fossils all over the World Proves the Flood happened!
The mountains were NOT that high, nor the seas that deep
before the flood!
Yet it doesn't comply with your narrative, so you ignore it!
Go figure!
God is real... He saved me!
When was the flood? How deep was the sea then? How high were the mountains then and what you do base your claims upon?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109099 Jul 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Psychology has NEVER... I REPETE NEVER cured anything... NO, they medicate, and still it does not help!
Christ cured more ills, than you can count, and it make you crazy to know that!
He saved me, and He can save you too!
First, I never claimed psychology cured people, but nice diversion. Psychology can help people though.

I am sure you cannot show evidence for Christ curing anything, anymore so than psychology could.

My argument stands, psychology is something atheists can turn to for help. This contradicts the claims made that I proved wrong.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#109100 Jul 28, 2013
Wow are new twist on who God is.

The Mormon Conundrum Of Adam As God

President Brigham Young taught Adam IS God the Father.

This "Discourse by Pres. Brigham Young Oct 8th 1854" (in LDS archives) has been published in an edited version. A copy is in The Essential Brigham Young (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 1992), 86-103. A few quotes from the discourse:

Our spirits and the spirits of all the human family were begotten by Adam, and born of Eve (97).

Adam planted the Garden of Eden, and he with his wife Eve partook of the fruit of this Earth, until their systems were charged with the nature of Earth, and then they could beget bodies, for their spiritual children (98)

I tell you, when you see your Father in the Heavens, you will see Adam; when you see your Mother that bear your spirit, you will see Mother Eve (99).

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_adamgodthe...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109101 Jul 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Psychology has NEVER... I REPETE NEVER cured anything... NO, they medicate, and still it does not help!
Christ cured more ills, than you can count, and it make you crazy to know that!
He saved me, and He can save you too!
Psychiatry medicates, psychology is typically of counseling by professionals who use scientific understanding to help with peoples problems.
But I understand where you ignorance of the basic facts come from.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#109102 Jul 28, 2013
curious wrote:
Seems something untowardly evil happens to the biology of an American Atheist when viewing a cross. According to the sworn-to-as-true (presumably, not sworn to God) papers filed in court, American Atheists, whenever they so much as glance at a cross, at least suffer from
dyspepsia, symptoms of depression, headaches, anxiety, and mental pain and anguish.
Awful stuff! Poor things! This is anguish we’re talking about here. I looked it up: extreme pain, either of body of mind; excruciating distress. Excruciating—God help us—distress! Foul, nasty business. Shades of torture and all that.
Although horrific, we note it is not as bad as it could be. The cross-viewing American Atheists only endure “symptoms of depression” and not actual full-blown depression itself. And none has (yet) claimed to have outright expired from seeing objects of faith.
The good news is that this syndrome is not unknown to medical science. It has long been identified as a malady suffered by vampires and several other species of the undead. But this is the first time it has been identified in American Atheists.
Science is yet silent on how American Atheists react to holy water, however, though experiments with garlic are progressing.
The bad news is that there is but one cure which brings complete remission of the disease. But since this cure is anathema to American Atheists, they must either learn to bear stoically the burdens of their cross (to coin a phrase), or they must resort to palliative care.
This consists in accumulating historical knowledge, and with it precious perspective; but it also means awakening and exercising their dormant senses of humor. The first is accomplished easily, and may be begun, for example, by reading Mr Sekulow’s column.
The second task has been shown to be nearly impossible, however. Experts recommend various strategies, such as canceling subscriptions to the New York Times, eschewing the phrase “equal rights,” and remembering the full version of (relevant clause) of the first amendment,“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#109103 Jul 28, 2013
Curious and YAA is the anti-Christ says Brigham Y
oung

Whosoever... does not confess that God has sent Joseph Smith, and revealed the everlasting Gospel to and through him, is of Antichrist...," Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 8, p. 176

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#109108 Jul 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You surprised me. I knew you would respond,but,I was sure you would respond under one of your other monikers,chromiuman or spektakals.
When I presented that evidence,thewitch was not mentioned.
You accuse all of us of being the same one or two people.
I think that would include me.
curious wrote:
<quoted text> You weren't even posting under that name at the time.
So how did ya know i had posted that ?
Uh, because I read all the posts. Are you really that stupid?
curious wrote:
<quoted text> Not only that,you have stopped using that MO....
But,there is more than one way to skin a cat and you just skinned yourself...LOL
BTW,,,It was convenient of you to let us know that yo had mental problems before you became an Atheist.
Funny,you never mentioned that before....
Why did you wait till it became common knowledge that Atheists have a higher rate of mental maladies than anyone else,to make your point.
And that,only after I stated that I knew of no one who had ever claimed to have had their mental problems cured by converting to Atheism.
Then,you compound your problem by making the same claim under the nick Dukette..
Only,under the nick Dukette ,you alluded to having had a drinking problem...
2 out of 3 ain't bad... I am really grateful you haven't contemplated the 3rd one.......
You are one messed up person,multiple personalities and all.
You are paranoid and insane.
Think whatever you wish.
I won't be responding to this particular delusion of yours anymore.
It doesn't deserve a reply.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#109109 Jul 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Just call us the trinity. We are one but hold different bodies. Trust me, this is not a polytheistic concept.
Now just try to spell my name correctly.
I will try to help you using my ghostly powers of mind control, but it only works if you believe in me and listen. Stop using your own will and opinion and accept whatever the Holy trinity of Mikewitchchrome tells you.
Excuse me but that should be the Holy Trinity of WitchMikeChrome.
I am probably the oldest and should get top billing.
;)

(I only wish I could debate like you, Chrome and Skeptical. I was not taught debating in school and do not have a natural knack for it. Been trying to learn from you guys for years.)

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#109110 Jul 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop including me in your paranoid delusions, its bad enough reading about your other scrambled egg versions of reality.
She's just insane. Pay her no mind. Poor thing.
Jen

Chesterfield, MO

#109111 Jul 28, 2013
I don't know.
Ubert

Manchester, KY

#109112 Jul 28, 2013
Gyun

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#109114 Jul 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Let's examine further. I don't normally post huge tracts of quotes from other sites but in this case I'm willing to break that rule. This topic has been hammered into the ground hundreds of times by many smarter people than myself. So I'll post a few random tidbits from ye olde interwebs for your pleasure and entertainment.

First up: http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/200...

"As a pastor, I often made reference in my sermons to the “astounding prophecies of the Bible,” which I believed proved the deity of Christ and the divine inspiration of Scripture beyond a reasonable doubt. It was my sincere conviction that if an unbeliever examined, for example, the Messianic prophecies embedded in the Old Testament with an open mind, he would walk away a convert to Christ. How many prophecies are we talking about here? Well, that depends on who you ask. Jews for Jesus point to several dozen Messianic prophecies, while Josh McDowell in Evidence that Demands a Verdict claims “over 300 references to the messiah that were fulfilled in Jesus.” According to ChristianAnswers.Net ,“The probability that Jesus of Nazareth could have fulfilled even eight such prophecies would be only 1 in 1017”(that's 10 to the power of 17).

For decades, I accepted this standard defense of the Christian faith without question. It was not until a Bible class earlier this year that serious doubts about the Messianic prophecies began to bubble to the surface. I was teaching through John's Gospel, verse by verse, when the class came to chapter 19 and verse 36 ("These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: Not one of his bones will be broken"). Someone asked me about the original prophecy, so I followed my index finger to the handy-dandy cross reference and arrived at Psalm 34:20. Ah, here I would be able to show the class one of the "astounding" prophecies of Scripture that "proves beyond a doubt" that Jesus was the Christ. What I discovered was, shall we say, underwhelming:

19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;

20 he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

This is certainly an inspiring verse of Scripture, but you would have to be a fool to take it as a prophecy of the Messiah. I was left in the truly awkward position of explaining to the class why John took a verse like this and wrenched it so violently from its original context (something I've preached against for years)."

(I'm not sure that 1 in 1017 is 10 to the power of 17...I suck at math but 10 with a little 17 up in the right hand corner is a HUGE number and 1017 is not a huge number...but I digress...)

Notice something here. This former pastor was wholeheartedly convinced of his faith until he *actually read the Bible*. You'll see that theme repeated quite frequently among atheists and skeptics. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that same story. Matt Dillahunty from the Atheist Experience TV show tells the same thing. He was studying to be a minister and he was a Fundamentalist Christian. When he studied the Bible he was compelled by his sense of reason to reject it.
The little footnote could have been wrong. Who's to say those were inspired? There are so many books missing in the Bible, the prophecy John spoke of could have been contained in a scroll we do not have. That pastor never thought that maybe the footnote was wrong? Wow

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#109115 Jul 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
Here's another good site listing some refutations of the prophecies about Jesus:

http://www.godlesshaven.com/articles/christia...

Some excerpts:

"3. For prophecy number three, we have Jesus being identified as a descendant of Abraham, allegedly supported by Genesis 22:18...

"...and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."
Another startlingly vague prophecy being introduced in so specific a manner. God will bless all Abraham's descendants, and that's about all the information the text provides. To suggest that its author was attempting to prophesy Jesus' connection to Abraham is wishful thinking (or as some call it: faith) and nothing more. No amount of twisting and distorting Gen. 22:18 will make it say anything at all about Jesus anymore than it speaks of Adolf Hitler and Charles Manson - other blessed sons of Abraham."

"15. Prophecy claim 15 is again from Psalms, specifically chapter 110, verse 4:

"The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind:'You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek'."
As already mentioned for claim #12, the surrounding context of this passage involves a military leader, shown by Ps. 110:3 ("Your troops will be willing on your day of battle..."). Jesus never went through any of the priestly initiation rites given in the Old Testament, but Christians still maintain that he was a priest, usually meaning it in a more metaphorical or symbolic way. Things like the creation account, Noah's flood, and the resurrection can't be metaphor, but if Jesus doesn't exactly fit a particular prophecy, it's apparently okay to label it metaphor in order to squeeze him in."

I really like that last one. It underscores the tendency of Fundamentalists to cherry pick the bits of the Bible they want to be taken literally and which they want to take as metaphor. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I agree that some are vague, which is why you have to look at all of them together.
As far as the higher priesthood, Jesus brought that with Him. He was ordained by the Father. No one on earth held it at that time.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#109119 Jul 28, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>
The last grade of public school I attended was the 8th grade until my late twenties when I grabbed my GED and went to college.
Kudos, man. That takes courage and determination.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#109121 Jul 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yiago,you have been correcting my gremmar,speilling and punctulation for quite a while..
We ALL have corrected your "gremmar, speilling and punctulation" at one time or another. Because it NEEDS to be corrected.

Why should anyone listen to what you have to say when you show your ignorance of basic communication skills?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#109123 Jul 28, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
We ALL have corrected your "gremmar, speilling and punctulation" at one time or another. Because it NEEDS to be corrected.
Why should anyone listen to what you have to say when you show your ignorance of basic communication skills?
Have I ever asked you to listen to what I have to say?
You need to listen to what SCIENCE AND PSYCHIATRY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE MENTAL CONDITIONS AFFLICTING ATHEISTS.
There are some great things happening,for which I will give them credit.
Many attend religious services.
Obviously looking for answers and solutions to issues that Atheism is not capable of solving,due to the fact that,Atheism is the cause.
Many of your children are converting into believers.
Still in all,Atheism,as you well know,causes mental disorders ,addiction to foreign substances and suicidial tendencies.
Would you not agree that your time would be better spent trying to help those wretched souls who are suffering under the burden placed on them by unbelief,instead of trying to correct my grammar .
As fasr as my grammar,have any of you 2 or 3 Atheists figured it out yet.....My postings have contained enough hints.../In English and other languages..
Hasta Luego Monsieurs,frauleins and testa di cipollas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School buses 5 hr smh 3
Knox Schools 7 hr Truth 11
Recounts what happens next a civil upheaval? 7 hr swampfoot 14
knox county bus garage (Aug '09) 8 hr Kim 40
Grays Pallet Store Drug Dealing ? 10 hr Bad 10
Geesh (Jun '16) 11 hr Babywipes 6
Hail trump 17 hr Wow 13

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance