Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
103,981 - 104,000 of 130,611 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108790 Jul 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>You would like to present the words of the NT as verbatim, yet what are the chances that an attendee of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech on August 28, 1963 would be able to recite it from memory?
Can you recite from memory a spiritually inspired sermon you might have preached or heard just 2 years ago?

I have no issue with the notion that Jesus is an important figure in history, that he existed or that he said things that perturbed the temple apple carts.
I have an issue with the notion that the Bible is divinely accurate and I have an issue with those who make erroneous statements to support that claim. That is NOT a point I missed. When you say things like George Washington didn't write anything I automatically place doubt on the veracity of your "undeniable personal witness."
I didn't say GW didn't write ANYTHING. Go back and read please. My point was that we have his words that he did not write at the time they happened because others wrote it down.

And as I said, I believe in the Holy Ghost. I believe that those that wrote the books of the Bible were inspired by Him and therefore wrote accurately about doctrinally important events and teachings.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108791 Jul 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>So Yahweh was sloppy when it came to translators for "his" book or just didn't see the mistakes coming?

What happened to "omniscient?" Oh wait, are you the one that doesn't believe in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipreset deity?

I get the impression that your "god" is like Superman... really powerful and all that but with the same flaws as humans.
Man this quote really describes you:

Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.
- Metallica

It is foretold in the scriptures that these things will happen. If you really took half the time that you spend degrading believers, and used it to study the scriptures, you could learn quite a bit on your own.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108792 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyabiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, because this is just aNother duhm top-icks thread, irrelevent to anything except for it's pathetic existence on the gutter dump end of the internets sewage system. Not much right about any of it actually, so that isn't really any sort of realistic accusation there either, unless you're a blinkered type of bloke....mired in ignorance of a viewing the world as a simplisTIC one of mere black/white, right/left, stop/go...you know, clueless as to the REST of the realms of reality.
So, keeping it simple for the simple minded then--How about trying to figure out what the newest member of the Church of England's name will be?!
(Something that is actually refreshing to hear of!)
Guiness? Try not to throw your elbow out raising the cheers!
Oh, so now your excuse for not using the rules of society is because we are all stupid? I really do not think using different names is keeping anything simple.
What I see is here is you making excuses because you cannot admit to being wrong.
Man up and use a consistent name or we will just continue to not take you seriously. According to your excuse, you do not care to be taken seriously, so we are on the same page.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108793 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say GW didn't write ANYTHING. Go back and read please. My point was that we have his words that he did not write at the time they happened because others wrote it down.
And as I said, I believe in the Holy Ghost. I believe that those that wrote the books of the Bible were inspired by Him and therefore wrote accurately about doctrinally important events and teachings.
"I believe" ain't what you crack it up to be.
I read fine, and your comparison doesn't hold any water. GW obviously wrote, but there is no evidence that JC wrote or that what was written about him was accurate through divine inspiration, fastidious record keeping by scribes/disciples or incredible memories. For all you >know< the teachings and lessons of Jesus could an amalgam of a dozen social malcontents from his day. All you have is belief in doctrine as concocted and inflicted by the accumulated musings of clergy. It's nice that it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but that just about sums it up. Nice.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108794 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyabiz wrote:
<quoted text>
"Yup".
(doesn't get much simpler than that huh?)
Well the word "yes" would have been simpler, but at least you answered clearly for a change.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108795 Jul 25, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm otay ...this is one of those see the twisted distortion for duhmmies practice paragraphs right?
Just leave the Science books alone--there's NOT enough of them!!
Are you telling me to leave the science books alone or are you telling the creationists? You are just running from the question again. You agree messing with the science books is bad, so why not answer the actual question, which is, is this agenda by religion doing harm in our society? I see it as bad, thus I condemn the ideas that lead to the actions. You continue to run from this debate and dance around.
Note the actual question on my post.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So is pushing for an agenda of less science books in the science classroom harmless in your opinion? I do not see it as harmless.
Now are you going to address this point or are you going to keep diverting to only addressing the extremes? The extremes I pointed out were only given to show definitively how religion can lead to bad.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108796 Jul 25, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've crossed the line and confused yourself.
Keep it simple, you think ad speak for YOURSELF and I can and will do the same.
Just because some atheists are haters, doesn't mean all of them are, and just because some believers debate atheists doesn't mean all believers believe in it.
And just because something might seem a double standard to You personally, does not mean it is to others, and actually I would think that anyone else's faith would have nothing to do with your, or my (for that matter) perspective of standards, or double standards, at all.
Unless...are you some sort of roboTic pwetend-to-be-a-clone, or something freaky like that?
(pshew...ewe...)
I note you again fail to include some Christians as haters. Again you skirt the entire issue I am addressing and divert. The continued diversion is clear evidence of a denial and double standard. If you think you have consistent standards, please explain why you run from the main point of my debate?
Just claiming to not have double standards is not showing anything other than a lack of understanding of how to show evidence of something.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108797 Jul 25, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've crossed the line and confused yourself.
Keep it simple, you think ad speak for YOURSELF and I can and will do the same.
Just because some atheists are haters, doesn't mean all of them are, and just because some believers debate atheists doesn't mean all believers believe in it.
And just because something might seem a double standard to You personally, does not mean it is to others, and actually I would think that anyone else's faith would have nothing to do with your, or my (for that matter) perspective of standards, or double standards, at all.
Unless...are you some sort of roboTic pwetend-to-be-a-clone, or something freaky like that?
(pshew...ewe...)
I think ones standards has a lot to do with ones faith. This is a theme I have been addressing for some time now.
If a person refuses to have the same standards for his beliefs as the ones he rejects, it shows he is not using logic and reason for his choice of beliefs.
One should take the outsiders test for his own beliefs with consistent standards.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108798 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so now your excuse for not using the rules of society is because we are all stupid? I really do not think using different names is keeping anything simple.
What I see is here is you making excuses because you cannot admit to being wrong.
Man up and use a consistent name or we will just continue to not take you seriously. According to your excuse, you do not care to be taken seriously, so we are on the same page.
I think you're kind of stagnant and sophomoric with that right/wrong junk...whatever your reason for the simple mindedness of it is.

My guess-it makes you feel better about your OWN "wrongs", to dig around like a chicken just looking for something to peck at, so long as it's anyone else.

To which my response is-
Bullchit....pluck the logs out of your own eyes and quit scratching at everyone elses.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108799 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you telling me to leave the science books alone or are you telling the creationists? You are just running from the question again. You agree messing with the science books is bad, so why not answer the actual question, which is, is this agenda by religion doing harm in our society? I see it as bad, thus I condemn the ideas that lead to the actions. You continue to run from this debate and dance around.
Note the actual question on my post.
I don't see "Creationists" trying to remove Science books from schools...I see people hatefully ragging on, and degrading others for having beliefs that might differ from their own.

Which makes no sense either, because that kind of stuff is just as ignorant and harmful, as extremist anything else.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108800 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I note you again fail to include some Christians as haters. Again you skirt the entire issue I am addressing and divert. The continued diversion is clear evidence of a denial and double standard. If you think you have consistent standards, please explain why you run from the main point of my debate?
Just claiming to not have double standards is not showing anything other than a lack of understanding of how to show evidence of something.
What exactly is your point, and what are you measuring it by, your OWN personal opinions?

Just because you might require evidence for anything, doesn't mean everyone does.

That's why there's a little word called "Faith".

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108802 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because they don't name Him as Jesus doesn't mean they didn't foretell exactly what He would do and go through. He fulfilled the prophesies from the OT. Please try to prove me wrong. I invite the attempt.
Yes I am correcting you, because you are wrong. I'm not doing so to be malicious, just setting the record straight.
Back to Mark, you don't even have to read far to see Jesus calm a storm with a wave of His hand. Is this not a miracle to you?
I have no doubt the prophesies of the old could have easily claimed to have been fulfilled by someone, but again, it is but a claim.
I am sure many a devout Jewish scholar would be glad to show you where their writings did not mean what you interpret them to mean.
But with all these prophesies we see the typical vague predictions can be interpreted a thousand different ways. This is why their are over 38,000 different Christian sects.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108803 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think ones standards has a lot to do with ones faith. This is a theme I have been addressing for some time now.
If a person refuses to have the same standards for his beliefs as the ones he rejects, it shows he is not using logic and reason for his choice of beliefs.
One should take the outsiders test for his own beliefs with consistent standards.
A lot of people are "hypocrites" (females included) like that. Some can admit it, some can't, some don't even realize it and some just won't.

Such is life in a diverse, non-robot, non-preprogrammed world.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108804 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're kind of stagnant and sophomoric with that right/wrong junk...whatever your reason for the simple mindedness of it is.
My guess-it makes you feel better about your OWN "wrongs", to dig around like a chicken just looking for something to peck at, so long as it's anyone else.
To which my response is-
Bullchit....pluck the logs out of your own eyes and quit scratching at everyone elses.
So again you divert by trying to psycho anilyze why I post on topix.
Funny how you are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. You peck away and refuse to debate the accusation made. How ironic and hypocritical, not to mention a giant double standard.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108805 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see "Creationists" trying to remove Science books from schools...I see people hatefully ragging on, and degrading others for having beliefs that might differ from their own.
Which makes no sense either, because that kind of stuff is just as ignorant and harmful, as extremist anything else.
So do you see the Christians here doing this or just atheist?

I see most of the Christians here on an agenda to remove evolution teaching from public schools. I am pretty sure evolution is in the textbooks. Do the math.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108806 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of people are "hypocrites" (females included) like that. Some can admit it, some can't, some don't even realize it and some just won't.
Such is life in a diverse, non-robot, non-preprogrammed world.
I am fully aware a lot of people are hypocrites. Is this your excuse for being one or is this just another diversion? I see you refuse to admit it when caught in the act.
I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but I do expect one to try and improve upon himself, or herself.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108807 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Believing claims to be flawless with no evidence is dangerous. It is gullible.
It is the thing discrimination breeds upon.
Your religion is evidence of this.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108808 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is your point, and what are you measuring it by, your OWN personal opinions?
Just because you might require evidence for anything, doesn't mean everyone does.
My point is "faith" is all to often dependent of double standards.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108809 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
George Washington didn't write much of anything either, but we still have his words, and know what he stood for.
Do you really know all Washington stood for? So many still debate what Washington stood for. Some claim he was a Christian, some claim he was a deist.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108810 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
The god of the bible insists I must believe in it, although it shows zero evidence of existence. This is an unreasonable demand. Why would I think this god is real if it is so unreasonable?

If you wish to believe it, fine, but the reality is, believers typically insist I also believe and they have agendas that affect my life that I disagree with due to said beliefs. This is why I try to show why I think the god is of a myth.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 11 min Big rig 71 2,074
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min wtf 151,463
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 35 min Republicans Are S... 16,150
This site makes Knox County people look like ch... (Sep '08) 48 min gator 6
City councilman raising property Tax Next 55 min observer 5
Grocery shopping (Sep '08) 1 hr shopping 2
Glazed apple bars (Sep '08) 1 hr yummy 3
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••